Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most realistic looking MMORPG of all time!

Comments

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Ticklepink
    Id rather have outdated 1 year old graphics than EQNs 30 yr old graphics. Look up Dragon's Lair(1983) ;)

No need to look it up i read all the books and played all the old games :)

And its more of a mater of taste. Only time will tell who was right.

I can bet that most of the haters will play and even like the game once it will be released.

The thing about the tastes is that they are personal based on your own experiences. In other word, you CANT and i mean you LITERALY CANT  make everyone happy.

There area lot of over realistic games like Fallen Earth, Repopulation etc that i cant even stand looking at and quit the game after spending 30 min playing it because the any of those games had no soul. They looked generic. Thats the problem with realistic style. Its boring and w/o life.

You wont see truly realistic visuals till like 20 or more years in tot he future. Till then ill stick to what is stylized rather than just plain bad looking (as the PC`s are to slow to make realistic looking games look like real life anytime soon)

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Khebeln
    Id rather have outdated 1 year old graphics than EQNs 30 yr old graphics. Look up Dragon's Lair(1983) ;)

No need to look it up i read all the books and played all the old games :)

And its more of a mater of taste. Only time will tell who was right.

I can bet that most of the haters will play and even like the game once it will be released.

The thing about the tastes is that they are personal based on your own experiences. In other word, you CANT and i mean you LITERALY CANT  make everyone happy.

There area lot of over realistic games like Fallen Earth, Repopulation etc that i cant even stand looking at and quit the game after spending 30 min playing it because the any of those games had no soul. They looked generic. Thats the problem with realistic style. Its boring and w/o life.

You wont see truly realistic visuals till like 20 or more years in tot he future. Till then ill stick to what is stylized rather than just plain bad looking (as the PC`s are to slow to make realistic looking games look like real life anytime soon)

speak for yourself, maybe your PC lol

There Is Always Hope!

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

This is just mt personal preference, but I like my single player games to be realistic and mmos to be cartoonish (or at least half-cartoonish like GW2 did)...

After finishing a single player game I often forget about it very soon, and when I decide to pick it up 5 or 6 year later, I'll KNOW that this game is suppose to look a bit dated and accept it. That's not the case with mmos...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by leoo88556

This is just mt personal preference, but I like my single player games to be realistic and mmos to be cartoonish (or at least half-cartoonish like GW2 did)...

After finishing a single player game I often forget about it very soon, and when I decide to pick it up 5 or 6 year later, I'll KNOW that this game is suppose to look a bit dated and accept it. That's not the case with mmos...

GW2 is 'art stylistic' not cartoony. Cartoony is Firefall.

• diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36

People need to take a closer look and realize that art style graphics does not equal low quality graphics. Did we not see the same tech demo? The characters in EQN are extremely detail oriented/high polygon count with extremely smooth animations.

Personally I prefer the fantasy look over the realistic graphics since it gives the world more emotion. ESO might be fun and I wish them well but it's not a seamless world and the animations are far from smooth.

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220

Those ESO shots look awesome.

As for EQN, I have become tolerant and have learned to like the "cartoony" art style. After playing EQ2 for 4 years, I decided to take a break and try out WoW. I ended up playing for a year and a half and then decided to go back to EQ2. At this point, the art style for EQ2 looked like ass and made my eyes bleed. Can't really explain it but I just couldn't play the game again because of it...

I think the art style will be fine for EQN. I just hope the gameplay will be good.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Since the reveal of EQNext I must say my interest in ESO has grown exponentially.  I can't stand cartoony kiddie graphics.  However I would disagree this game has the most realistic, probably the best and most realistic I've seen thus far is Black Desert Online - especially the character models it's unreal.

Take a look starting at about 2:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

When are people going to own up to the fact that no matter how pretty you make a game it doesn't mean squat without the game play to back it up.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by sonicbrew

When are people going to own up to the fact that no matter how pretty you make a game it doesn't mean squat without the game play to back it up.

I didn't realize we had to choose one or the other.  ESO's gameplay seems fun to me and it's gorgeous so not sure where the problem is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    um, I've played this game and these are not the most realistic graphics of all time.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by Sovrath um, I've played this game and these are not the most realistic graphics of all time.
    Shh! Don't rain on the poor guy's parade :) I'm with you but I understood where he was coming from.

The graphics reveal of EQN, despite the hints (poster) that they were going cartoonish, left many in shock. Part of their therapy is to start following upcoming MMOs with graphics that are closer to the Uncanny Valley... even though no MMO--not even FF--is in any danger of getting there any time soon due to bandwidth limitations (HW too, but that's also an issue with single player games and very few of them are in any danger of being too photorealistic either.)

The TES franchise, especially the last couple of entries, is known for a gritty look with a muted earth tones palate. I don't think many realize that most of the "WOW! lookit that shit!" Skyrim screenshots they have seen come from heavily modded installations. There's a reason why the most popular mods for TES games are graphics enhancements made for those with machines that can handle it. Neither pretty nor photorealistic are words I associate with the look of the franchise. But "moody" and "appropriate" are.

I see the ESO art style and graphics as being in keeping with the franchise and maybe a notch or two below un-modded Skyrim quality.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

I'm going to play both and decide which one I like better without relying on screen shots.

I know... what a brilliant  fucking concept, right?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by uidCaustic

I'm going to play both and decide which one I like better without relying on screen shots.

I know... what a brilliant  fucking concept, right?

Me too. It all comes down to the game play eventually doesn't it?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123

when the wallpaper came out for EQN a few months back I was concerned. The FIRST thing I said was wow..looks like WoW.

My BF assured me that the artist drew the stylized characters cause that was "how he drew". Never once did I imagine that was the "actual" graphics of the game. I'm still picking my heart up off the floor. Im tired of bright colors. From what I have seen ESO is beautiful and not all of the landscape is drab. Remember the most recent screenshots have come from Ebonheart (Morrowind) which was drab anyways.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Iselin

I see the ESO art style and graphics as being in keeping with the franchise and maybe a notch or two below un-modded Skyrim quality.

Yeah I would agree with that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    The characters alone in ESO look better than Skyrim un modded.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

It looks like we will have to be patient for the NEXT GEN of MMorpg's to come out ... maybe they will combine awesome gameplay with graphics like ESO.

you have to give it to ESO or SKyrim - that graphics is amazing.

I for one am very disappointed with the EQNext graphics - well mainly the cartoon characters - the world itself looks OK.. not Skyrim great though.

The problem I have with Skyrim is the combat.. something feels off with it.  

hopefully, one day, 10 years from now, someone will make something that has the best of all games!

look up Black Desert. My BF showed me that a few months back. THAT game looks like it may set a standard for the next decade.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

lol.. you've obviously never checked out Age of Conan on ultra on a GTX 5xx card

talking about realistic...

http://youtu.be/KEQRwPuq8Rg

http://youtu.be/fwT9cFVQCMw

http://youtu.be/00dHRBaX-f0

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Khebeln
    Originally posted by fistorm

Its 2013, and unbeleivable graphics have came out.  Bethesda and Zenimax have taken hold of these amazing capablities and made us an online game with them.  Elder Scrolls Online.  After seeing what EQ Next will look like, and its gameworld looking like last years Guildwars 2 gameworld in graphics,  there will be no one in the way to make this the most realistic MMORPG of the year, and in fact, all time.   I hope and have no doubt we will see more MMORPG's start to follow this amazing graphic outlook to push these games to look even more real and enjoyable.   Just wanted to say Thankyou ESO!

ESO Screenshot

Eq Next Screenshot

Sorry but TESO visual are nothing special and a year after release they will look dated.

Not to mention the animations, facial animation through SOEemote, chracter physics for armor, hair etc, and pretty much everything else inc destructable world.

Ehhh.... i take that over ESO any day. Apart from dark feel eso dont really brings anything new or special. Even the seamingly new features they are just copying from Skyrim.

So everything EQN is brand new and not from any other game? They didn't borrow from Minecraft, Single-player games, GW2, etc..?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

EQN Borrowed from Dragon's Lair..1983..literally a 30 year old game.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    EQN Borrowed from Dragon's Lair..1983..literally a 30 year old game.

But the MMORPG authors will say, its 'stylized' so that erases that argument (for EQN and Wildstar) and makes it current lol. To me every game is stylized...in their own style, so I just don't understand the use of that word. To me, cartoony is cartoony which makes it antiquated.

There Is Always Hope!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by senti02
    i want to play this game and explore the world on my Oculus Rift.

There will be no oculus rift support at release, maybe later...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

How many dull shades of brown, grey, and muddy green can TEAO have? Answer- to many to count.

No thanks. I like the vibrant fluid world of EQN. A bit more cartoony? Sure. However it's drawn incredibly well... I have had my fair share of of dull lifeless worlds like TESO.

Now to add. I don't mind realistic graphics.. But I'm tired of the dull lifeless ones full of browns and drab colors. 

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I does not matter I am going to play it in anny case,

if they ask for a sub and the game is not great ill play it just till shroud

releases,mmo games for the future looks great ,the waiting is most difficult.

if ESO does not work they will just have to make the next scrolls game.