Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play + Fully destructible everything = ...

rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

With everything being destructible... does anyone else foresee every single troll in the world running by to destroy your home? Tearing down every bridge, collapsing every cave entrance and generally ruining the gameplay experience for as many people as they can? Kiting giants and dragons all the way to the main cities in order to destroy as much of that as they can?

I think the beginning months of the game are going to be very trying for those who like to build and want to carve out a portion of the world for themselves.

Comments

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110

I believe I heard that other players can't tear down player made structures. 

It will be very interesting to see how the whole completely destructible thing plays out in practice.  What if you're questing on the surface and some other group is below you and destroys the roof, collapsing you into the middle of the earth and into content you aren't capable of handling?

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Originally posted by rygard49

With everything being destructible... does anyone else foresee every single troll in the world running by to destroy your home? Tearing down every bridge, collapsing every cave entrance and generally ruining the gameplay experience for as many people as they can? Kiting giants and dragons all the way to the main cities in order to destroy as much of that as they can?

I think the beginning months of the game are going to be very trying for those who like to build and want to carve out a portion of the world for themselves.

Do you honestly think they are that stupid?

edit- the giant or dragon will probably snare you and kill you with the advanced ai they are talking about.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Saxx0n

edit- the giant or dragon will probably snare you and kill you with the advanced ai they are talking about.

I don't know how stupid to think they are. From the way things have been described/reported, it sounds like there's potential for some serious trolling.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Dont think SoE is that dumb but I do see them needing to change some things to stop trolls. Like a Warrior camped at a choke point like the only bridge to something and keep blowing it up to keep people from going about their gaming just to be a jurk. This happens with any new system and I am sure they will figure out what should not be destructible. Even things like where a key NPC standing on a doc could maybe be forced to swim if you keep bring up the doc. Again this can all be fixed =-)
    Originally posted by grifj

That would be great news for those of us who want to build. Do you have a source for that?

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

Pffft, they were doing that in games long before the falsely proclaimed 'advanced AI'. It's all scripted one way or another, just because they do it differently doesn't make it advanced, and definitely doesn't make it AI. We don't have the processing power on earth to even handle a limited basic AI let alone an advanced one, so eat the buzzwords all ya want, it's not what they claim and it's not new to the genre.

• JavrioJavrio Member UncommonPosts: 8
    They've told that "the enviroment was going to be harder to destroy than we saw on the demo's video and will regenerate itself". Do you really think that destroying the same bridge everytime it's funny? xD 
  • FionnFionn Member Posts: 68
    Dev team during the panel have all stated that  the land and structures will regenerate over time.
  • jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

simple answer. yes.

That would be great news for those of us who want to build. Do you have a source for that?

yes, they said it in the keynote reveal. i watched the whole thing.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

Several sources (for instance in the Q&A session) say if you get the deed to a plot of land, no one can wreck it without you giving them permission.  In both Landmark and EQ:N proper. 

Getting a deed to land won't be easy, and you'll need one to construct anything.

Originally posted by Javrio
    They've told that "the enviroment was going to be harder to destroy than we saw on the demo's video and will regenerate itself". Do you really think that destroying the same bridge everytime it's funny? xD 

I don't. Some will.

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

Create a guild called "Guild of trolls" and create a wall around other structures and block the owners inside or outside .... that is how you mass-troll :)

I really hope they will think about these scenarios.

V.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

This is not correct...

I think its "Players will be able to tear down everything including player created structures but key buildings like Starting City ect... cant be. NPCs however, will be able to destruct even the starting locations (Giant Golems, Dragons ect...)

This was in PC Gamer

• arkoharkoh Member UncommonPosts: 24

@ loopback1199 Ask Nasa about that processing power

In EverQuest Worldwide Debut the guy that is talking said that the environment regenerates after is destroyed

Originally posted by General-Zod

This is not correct...

I think its "Players will be able to tear down everything but key buildings (Starting City ect...) however NPCs will be able to destruct even the starting locations (Giant Golems, Dragons ect...)

This was in PC Gamer

WRONG! players cant even COME on your claim, unless you let them, let alone destroy it. i watched the people at soe live that are MAKING the game, say it themselves.

Originally posted by arkoh

@ loopback1199 Ask Nasa about that processing power

In EverQuest Worldwide Debut the guy that is talking said that the environment regenerates after is destroyed

i really, really think people that have questions, should watch this. so they will stop spouting off at the mouth, about stuff they do not know.

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173

It will be very interesting to see how the whole completely destructible thing plays out in practice.  What if you're questing on the surface and some other group is below you and destroys the roof, collapsing you into the middle of the earth and into content you aren't capable of handling?

During the Q&A it was asked if there would be environmental damage, the answer was yes.  So if someone is digging up and you are above them, you could get killed from dropping down the hole they create.  Now with that said, there were also moments the panels said that not everything would be able to be destroyed all the time.  With voxels everything CAN be destroyed, but that does not mean it will be allowed to be destroyed all the time.

As for player made buildings, yeah I think those are going to be able to be destroyed.  Creators are not safe just because they don't want to see their creations kept intact.  But again that is one of those things they are keeping under wrap.  Not even talking from a PvP standpoint; during the Q&A panel they mentioned that Orcs might get sick of getting the crap beat out of them and take it upon themselves to go destroy player made dwellings.  So it's not just other players that may destroy player created housing, it could very well be the AI.

Lastly, Georgeson specifically said they were not creating a griefers paradise; yet again during that same Q&A panel.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by jayheld90

This is not correct...

I think its "Players will be able to tear down everything but key buildings (Starting City ect...) however NPCs will be able to destruct even the starting locations (Giant Golems, Dragons ect...)

This was in PC Gamer

WRONG! players cant even COME on your claim, unless you let them, let alone destroy it. i watched the people at soe live that are MAKING the game, say it themselves.

This is right, people need to actually watch the presentations lol. This is not like WurmOnline where a player can come and claim your house or knock down your buildings or enter your mine and steal your resources.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Im pretty sure they make player craft houses/items immuny, or they make them self build back in few sec.

Played minecraft? in multiplayer server imporant places was immuny damage.

• zhilozhilo Member UncommonPosts: 49

They should put us to make choices,

like ''do you want to make this house destructible or not''

This is not correct...

This was in PC Gamer

I've watched the same videos and came away with a different take.  For instance in the Q&A panel Georgeson says something like "with full destructibility in the game how can you not think about that in terms of PvP".  I have not heard anything definitive that states that player made structures will be safe.  From players there may be more limits to what can be destroyed, but when it comes to the NPCs they are making every building a target; both player made and dev made.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

I hope it is not the other way around, and it will all be phasing, so that only you and you group mates can se the destruction you caused, but for other players everything is still standing.

Originally posted by Sengi

I hope it is not the other way around, and it will all be phasing, so that only you and you group mates can se the destruction you caused, but for other players everything is still standing.

That would take away from a seamless persistent world that is ever changing.  I know a lot of players creators are not going to like it, but start getting used to the idea that at some point one of your buildings may get destroyed in EQN Proper.  Landmark is a testing ground and I expect more destruction there because of the type of game it is.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by mos0811

This is not correct...

This was in PC Gamer

I've watched the same videos and came away with a different take.  For instance in the Q&A panel Georgeson says something like "with full destructibility in the game how can you not think about that in terms of PvP".  I have not heard anything definitive that states that player made structures will be safe.  From players there may be more limits to what can be destroyed, but when it comes to the NPCs they are making every building a target; both player made and dev made.

Thats what I took from it...