Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Five Things We Don’t Want in EverQuest Next

Comments

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

5). Zoning and Instancing

I think that's almost the only way they could go, if world of warcraft can pretty much do it, EQ Next should be able to pull it off now too.  I would almost miss the "TRAIN TO ZONE LINE!" calls of the segmented maps lol.

4). Small World Map

I would like them to make things large and very explorable, that was one of my favorite things to do in EQ 1 and EQ 2.  Wander and explore to see the world.  Risk my characters death and dismemberment by wandering through high level areas.  I remember back going through Kithicor forest at dusk and when it became night, getting the crap scared out of me when all those undead would spawn at once for the night time.

3.) Limited Scope and Linearity

I agree with this one. Not much more about it though.

2.) No Fae!

I disagree with this one.  The fae folk were present in EQ 1, though they looked different and I personally think they could be fine, they just needed to give them a similar treatment like they did to the Erudites (only not so creepy and alien).  I hope we get the old erudites back, that was the race I played the most in EQ 1 but the least in EQ 2.

1.) Story on Rails

I totally agree with this one, how many times can you do the SAME ole' SAME ole' over and over and over again before it drives you nuts.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    I have no problems with zones mostly because it was hilarious to see a 20+ train of gnolls kill your ass when they were trained to the zone line.  Agree 1000% with no "story on rails".  People should go places because it looks INTERESTING and EXCITING not because Joe Schmoe NPC said I should go there.
  • ocnozixocnozix Member Posts: 5
    Down with the fae!!

-Oc
    Yeah, what are you going to do about it?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Sithos
    Originally posted by intrinsc
    Sorry to burst your first point, but if EQN wants good hardcore raiding there will have to be instances for them.

Have to agree with this. As much as I loved racing to Naggy/Vox when they spawned,trying to beat Guild_00 there. In this day and age to many players will get their feelings hurt if they don't get to kill UberDragon_01.

Uh... no. Not necessary unless you making your raiding system in the worst possible way.

• SynraSynra Member UncommonPosts: 8

I am in 100% agreement here, except for the note about Fae. I LOVED them. They were the first 'new' race added to EQ that wasn't just a dumb animal person. Playable fairies in a fantasy game? This is brilliant! An actual fantasy race. All the other playable races added to EQ were Cats, Frogs, Lizards and Rats. Lame.

I want to see more *fantasy* races in EQ like the Fae. Give me playable races like Centaur or Lamia. Even better, give us expansive underwater areas and the option to play as an under-water only Mermaid type race.

• Xblade724Xblade724 Member UncommonPosts: 54

Here, here! +1

Give us LORE not a central story. Give us all the lore in the world and allow it to connect, but do not have 1 central story. We've been there, done that and it makes alts unimpressive to play knowing you have to read a book twice.

BRING BACK THE HAIL SYSTEM FFS DO NOT BRING THE BUBBLES ABOVE HEAD! No right click sh*t, give us Hails, allow us to use our brains to figure out keywords (give us the keywords, but keep the hidden keywords like you always do for rewarding those that pay attention JUST LIKE YOUR HIDDEN VIDEO that was slowed down - a secret we could have passed easily, but if we think beyond, we are rewarded) ...

And allow manual turn ins. So many secrets and mysteries are instantly unlocked to quest devs by allowing Hail and manual turn ins rather than right click question marks above head.

And don't guide us directly to the quest location ..... 

---------------------------
    Former EQ1 Rallos Zek (PvP)
    Ascendant Chronei Immortal of Rallos Zek
    (Now @ Prexus)

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Can you really get rid of zones? Even if PC tech has improved, there are still internet bandwidth considerations. Not everyone is going to have an awesome internet connection (remember what happened with the x-bone) that could handle the dataflow.

Also I like having a story in the setting. It's a reminder that YOU are not the central character in the world and things do happen without your involvement. More importantly it's part of the larger setting and sets up future events and changes.

• BelerudBelerud Member Posts: 4

1. No empty cities (killed by guild halls, new cities with everything in expansions, etc...) Make sure cities offer unique reasons to visit them.

2. No portals (shortcuts) to everywhere.  Let players run, fly, whatever, in order to keep  the landmass  populated everywhere.

3. No expansions that make all players acquire the other classes unique abilities.  If only one class can be invisible, or levitate, or summon players, don't give it to everyone on the next expansions.

4. Don't make rain,  darkness, wind,  purely esthetic features.  Make the environment fully part of the  game, with real impact on combat.

5. MAINLY, DON'T COMPROMISE WHILE TRYING TO PLEASE EVERYONE.  DON'T GIVE IN TO THE FORUM BITCHING (ie make it easy pls)... STICK TO YOUR PLAN.  

• BelerudBelerud Member Posts: 4

So much more...

6. Don't make grouped players run individual quests (ie loot xx carrots...)... Give credit to all group members on location (ie group completion)

7. Don't make character death a trivial event.

8. Don't forget gravity and other forces/vectors...ie faster downhill, slower uphill...

9. Don't make food, drink, rest, meditate, sleep trivial and useless event.

10. Did i mention STICK TO YOUR PLAN?  That was for years to come... including all expansions. Too much EQ / EQ2 expansion became poorly implemented  improvisation in what appeared to be attempts to suit the (make it easy pls) masses.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by grifj

Why do people want instanced dungeons?  Go play Skyrim if you want a dungeon all to yourself.

This.

And to the people say "Well what about  a LITTLE instancing!" If your game is designed well you should never need an instance. And all MMOs in the past that started with a LITTLE instancing just got lazy and used it for everything.

the first mmo's had zero instancing.  I agree with you on the if designed well not needing instancing thing.  The original mmo's worked fantastically well and every dungeon was public.

You can thank SOE for the curse of instances.  LDoN

Shared kills without needing to be in a group solves the issue nicely.  Then all you have to worry about is timing the spawns.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    "I don't want to be the savior. I want the choice to be ordinary. To be a farmer. A blacksmith. A warrior of note. Maybe even an absolute coward. These are the choices that MMORPGs bestow amongst players, and these are the choices that, I feel, the original EQ came bundled with.

SOE, please don't make me special: make me like everyone else, able to create my own legend, for good or bad."

This summed up the reason for my disillusion of GW2 where I had to ignore great portions of the "personal" storyline in order to roleplay the way I saw my character. I wanted to be a thief that was still deep and dirty in his ways but the cutscenes contradicted that. In fact, every RPer I asked, they also ignored their "personal stories". DO NOT give roleplayers a menu to select from like GW2 did, but rather a flexible framework to work in.

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    /Amen
  • KexinKexin Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Heavy death penalty. I need a reason to fear death.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Please, oh please let us have good-neutral-evil races (like EQ2)

I hate games that give you only good fluffy race choices!

Ratonga in EQ2 ( Mouse people!) are my fav race atm

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Can we add the reams of people that already believe the game is the best thing since sliced bread based on little to no information?

This.

Also, the author sucks. Hating the Fae doesn't make you edgy. Hating the Fae just makes you think you're edgy.

I also believe firmly that the author never played the original Everquest. If they had, then they wouldn't be so adamant about "NO ZONE!"

Also, the first game wasn't restrained by technology at the time. Ultima Online didn't have zones, and it came out before Everquest.
  • gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

In order to find quests, I want to be required to talk to people. NO Exclamation points over their heads. I want to be required to actually follow a conversation with he quest giver, find out what they want or need and then have to figure out how to get that.

This. We have the technology to have a living conversation with an npc. Exclamation points above the head totally throw immersion out the window.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9

Also, the author sucks. Hating the Fae doesn't make you edgy. Hating the Fae just makes you think you're edgy.

I also believe firmly that the author never played the original Everquest. If they had, then they wouldn't be so adamant about "NO ZONE!"

Also, the first game wasn't restrained by technology at the time. Ultima Online didn't have zones, and it came out before Everquest.

The author just stated his opinion and for that he sucks? You need to grow up.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Devs said that it will be huge open world. And yet you write "we dont want instances. We dont want little world". Can you mmorpg.com stuff make at least ONE good list? Its getting annoying

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Looks like you got your five wishes.
  • zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

For me, I don't want Everquest in Everquest Next.

Oh wait...

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123

when the "fan art wallpaper" came out a few weeks ago showing  hyper stylized Disney cartoon characters I was foolish enough to pass it off as an artists "style of drawing".

This graphic style is a step back. I don't even take this game seriously now. My mouth dropped to the floor when I watched Mr Gorgeson announce this with a huge grin on his face as if he had just birthed the messiah when in fact the baby was stillborn.

It was surreal..it is STILL surreal.

I'd like to NOT have cartoonish 1983 Dragon's Lair graphics in my EQNext please.

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

No Fae? Are you crazy? They are the only reasons to play a SOE MMO.

No Fae, no game.

Period.

• KyvanexKyvanex Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Actually, I would love to see Fae in the game... so I could paint the forest with their blood after crushing them into a pulp with my spiked warhammer.
  • strongbelwasstrongbelwas Member UncommonPosts: 17
    i havent played an mmo since soe ruined the best game ever made, STAR WARS GALAXIES,  heres there chance at redemption.  dont f it up soe
  • LFGroupLFGroup Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Nice list. Nothing I can comment upon as I do agree 100% !