Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition for Imperial Guard at the release

I would to see Imperial Guard as a playable faction at release, with this classes:

Guardsmen = FTP class like the Ork Boyz

Commisar

Ogryn

Kaserkin

Sanctioned  Psiker

If someone else is interested  could sign here.

Thanks

/signed

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
-Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

Comments

• ZulmalukaZulmaluka Member UncommonPosts: 18
    could be nice indeed, /signed
  • GitzStompaGitzStompa Member Posts: 54

I think adding IG is a nice idea but adding it for release isn't. They've got 4 factions to work on, and a fifth would just delay the initial release. Furthermore, it would be more risky if the game would have 5 factions at start, because the devs don't know if it's going to be succesful or not, hence it's logical to play it "safe". 

A few points:

"I'd rather not, let them focus on the 4 main races first - they've stated that they will add factions like Guard, Tau etc in once the game releases. Lets not over burden the DEV team with too many tasks, that's how you get under achieving games." By Valrak40.

"I totally agree.

Besides the development plan for the game has already been worked out before the coding even began by the sounds of it, so it is unlikely that there will be major changes made to this plan no matter how much we may like or dislike a design decision.

Personally I respect this clarity of purpose, especially when it is coupled to a clear design vision.

Compare that to the following design process that you will often see in less focussed projects and ask yourself, which would you prefer employed in making your game?

(Sorry for the indepth stuff here, but it's something that I've been thinking about recently due to seeing it happen to a game I was hoping would be a success.) 

Some programming teams tend to progress in a kind of drunkards walk, working away at a project for years, all the while seemingly making great headway, but often down cul-de-sacs and in counterproductive directions.

This happens because design decisions are often implemented on the grounds that they seem like a good idea at the time, or worse, because they are pushed through by office politics.

Typically such projects work with little to no overarching plan beyond what may be considered a rough draft concept and the general intention to make a great product, and lacking a coherent plan the various teams are often making a lot of effort to create something that will just be abandoned at a later date when these uncoordinated projects that seemed such a great idea at the time are found not to gel with another more popular design decision. 

As you can imagine this process takes much longer, wastes a lot of time and effort and, while it may be enjoyable to work off the leash like that at first it often becomes massively irritating later in the process. (I would imagine)

Such loosely (I would say mis-) managed projects typically fall far short of their intended goal when they run into financial or time limitations and are forced to wind the project up in a half ready state.

So would you prefer a company that will bow to popular pressure and have to throw out a well thought through design, or add extra stuff that you want sooner, but with the result that the game as a whole takes longer to make and isn't as good?

or one that stays true to it's vision*?

*All too often the concept of a 'vision' is used to justify something that patently lacks one. So to be clear by vision I'm talking about a coherent and logically consistent design that stays true to the lore, has integrity,  and above all works! "

By <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/quotheraving"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/quotheraving"; title="View information about quotheraving" suhlink"="">quotheraving.

Again, I'm not against IG but trying to add them to release isn't a good idea. 

• HolyTrevorHolyTrevor Member UncommonPosts: 55
    nah i would rather have them focus on the current ones, game is already going to take 2 years and i don't really want to have to wait longer lol
  • wghtopsidewghtopside Member Posts: 36
    No, thx.

• BeerSamuraiBeerSamurai Member Posts: 69
    I would like to see some representation of the Guard, but not at release.  Warhammer Online fans made that mistake of wanting Skaven at release, and they got a heaping mound of disappointment.

Dreah I'm yunk, wazzit matter to you?

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

If they implement the Guard for the Imperium they should also make sub "races" for each race/faction possibly on the first expansion not on release.

Imperium get IG

Chaos get Demons or Heretics or both in one :D

Eldar get more aspects

Orks get more orks? lol

IF they do make the IG they should make them primarily pet classes in the form of fire-teams. You customize your leaders wargear/class...Officer, Commissar, Psyker, etc. and then you have your role further defined by your fireteam that are equivalent to other roles...lets use the known Space Marine "classes" as an example:

Space Marine Class = Imperial Guard Fireteam

Assault Marine =3-5 Catachan and your character

Devestator = 3 Guardsmen with heavy weapon and lasguns and your character

Terminator = 1-2 Ogryn guard with your character

Tactical/Apoth =  3-5 Storm Troopers with varied loadout (Jack of all trades, master of none) and your character.

• Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

No point adding more things at this point when they haven't even finished the 4 basic races.

They should just make sure what they have is flawless, because adding new things without polishing the old is a recipe for disaster.

Remember that "there is no second chance to cause a good first impression", and we all know that a first impressions can make or break a game.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    If they have a smart business model they're engineering future content eg new factions to meet the game's (hopefully) growing population of players (if successful).
  • XavianValakhirXavianValakhir Member Posts: 11

The Imperial Guard faction (separate from Space Marines) will make a fantastic and lucrative expansion. If it's shoehorned in for launch, it will undoubtedly disappoint in many ways (meant to be sympathetic to the dev team, not condescending their abilities).

I agree with having the basic Guardsman being F2P. I'd like to see a few simple classes for them beyond the basic multitude of Guardsmen, including Heavy Weapons Team, Techpriest Enginseer, and then advanced classes for temporary use as Ogryn, Storm Trooper, and Commissar, as well as Sanctioned Psyker (though limited a bit more than the other advanced classes, preferably).

They could monetize specific regiments as cosmetic unlocks (hopefully having some kind of rationale for that regiment being seen in EC), such as one of the many Cadian regiments (thus giving us sights of Kasrkins), and though I have a personal love for the Death Korps, I doubt we'd see them.

Originally posted by krage

If they implement the Guard for the Imperium they should also make sub "races" for each race/faction possibly on the first expansion not on release.

Imperium get IG

Eldar get more aspects

Orks get more orks? lol

IF they do make the IG they should make them primarily pet classes in the form of fire-teams. You customize your leaders wargear/class...Officer, Commissar, Psyker, etc. and then you have your role further defined by your fireteam that are equivalent to other roles...lets use the known Space Marine "classes" as an example:

Tactical/Apoth =  3-5 Storm Troopers with varied loadout (Jack of all trades, master of none) and your character.

Too much pressure on system during the battles for this. And they have said that they are aiming for wide range of PCs, so its kind of not possible.

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341

Imperium get IG

Eldar get more aspects

Orks get more orks? lol

the main problem for IG is that almost all IG units are oneshots, so it wouldnt be fun to play one (just for you hardcore fans :P)

so yes we would need to control a "squad"

and they may test it in beta or just private, but i think that IG will not be the next faction we will see ingame (cause others are easier to implement)

but thats just what i think

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

Eldar Guardians are kind of one-shot aswel. They just have to implement some mechanics to either increase their durability in some other ways or just make a glass canon, or even some support role. There are tons of variations and aside of technical problems of that "squad" solution of the problem, its kind of weak move to change the core mechanic of the game just "because they are weak and one-shotted easily". There is a huge difference between TT and action game, and you can not make such big compromises.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    Originally posted by wghtopside

Imperium get IG

Eldar get more aspects

Orks get more orks? lol

Too much pressure on system during the battles for this. And they have said that they are aiming for wide range of PCs, so its kind of not possible.

It may be possible, I mean City of Heroes had the mastermind class which used minions for large periods of time as their "abilties" 

Here is a video of the CoH Mastermind, they even had different skins for the minions, including soliders as you will see in the first minute of the video...even though they are just dancing lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1gMdeP3mU

So I think its plausible to do a minion class unless their specific setup cant pull it off, although most MMOs have minion classes.

This is the only way I can see balancing regular humans, orks, and eldar against the genetic warmachines, Demons, and other beasties in the 40k universe with game mechanics. Not even talking about really smart minions merely tag alongs that perform animations based on your attack and as you HP drops they are the ones who drop first.

Dude, I don't think that they can optimize engine for thousands of people fighting in a single battle for mid range PCs, and you're talking about theoretical tens of thousands. :

"There is no balance at war." - Miguel Caron.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    As long as they stay on track of building to fluff and my one marine could take on19 guardsmen without breaking a sweat then have at it.
  • GholosGholos Member Posts: 209

This thread is for petition, if you want to talk about IG there is another thread:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/954/view/forums/thread/389332/Imperial-Guard-and-how-to-make-them-work.html

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• DagdaDagda Member UncommonPosts: 27

I would love to see the Imps as a playable army but I could only seeing it happen if they were a free to play race unless you are wanting to stress the armor portion of the Imp guard. If you are wanting the armour side of the Imps dont the Marines have about all the tanks that the imps have? Just not as many in a detatchment.

It would be fun to have a selection when starting free to play to be able to pick one side or the other, but dont hitnk that is going to happen.

• BeerSamuraiBeerSamurai Member Posts: 69

Imperium get IG

Eldar get more aspects

Orks get more orks? lol

It may be possible, I mean City of Heroes had the mastermind class which used minions for large periods of time as their "abilties" 

Here is a video of the CoH Mastermind, they even had different skins for the minions, including soliders as you will see in the first minute of the video...even though they are just dancing lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1gMdeP3mU

So I think its plausible to do a minion class unless their specific setup cant pull it off, although most MMOs have minion classes.

This is the only way I can see balancing regular humans, orks, and eldar against the genetic warmachines, Demons, and other beasties in the 40k universe with game mechanics. Not even talking about really smart minions merely tag alongs that perform animations based on your attack and as you HP drops they are the ones who drop first.

No, no, no.  As a person who played through the Warhammer Online Beta and GW2 beta, I can say confidently that squad based players are a bad idea.  All you'll succeed in doing is crashing the servers, or worse dying from an invisible enemy because their models were unable to load in time.

I rigidly stand by the concept of having a single guardsmen as a F2P class.  Yes they are weak, yes they'll die fast, but that is why they need to stay in groups and stay in cover.  The sort of things PvP players SHOULD do.  Dying easily will teach the harsh but valuable lesson that trying to go solo will end badly.  Instead of giving guardsmen 'pets' they should just have a buff that triggers only if they are in a squad of other players.  Encourages group mentality and allows an equal player-model ratio.

Dreah I'm yunk, wazzit matter to you?

I think that IG should fill purely support role, with guardsmen being represented only as Heavy Weapons Teams, and if you want to be a combatant, you'd better pick an Ogryn or Kasrkin. But still all of them are being support faction, but viable and useful support of course. :)

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    I think that IG should fill purely support role, with guardsmen being represented only as Heavy Weapons Teams, and if you want to be a combatant, you'd better pick an Ogryn or Kasrkin. But still all of them are being support faction, but viable and useful support of course. :)

but that would kinda miss the main asspect of IG

maybe the war council of the IG could have controll of IG bots

but this is just the petition not discussion^^

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

Now there is an idea. The foot soldiers (imp guard, gitz, guardians, and cultists) as support staff. They could man the emplacements on the stratigic points. Drop points, forts and the like. This would at least allow for some sort of fight if there were an overwhelming assult force and no defenders. 

This could really add to to the immerseiveness

• QuickShatterQuickShatter Member Posts: 12

Now I would protest to another race or so being avaiable at release but not another Emperium Race, I mean if they get more Xenoes then yeah fucking go for it but It'd almost seem unfair, just race wise. Your putting two point in the God Emperors favor there. Why not Necrons or Dark Eldar, I mean I can sort of see why they'd not opt in for Tyranids because it maybe a bit harder to get that species worked out, like almost all melee, vice a handful of spine shooters and acid sprayers. Im not saying Imp guard shouldn't be in the game by all means but not unless you get more Xenoes in the Mix. I think Necrons would be the next best IMO or Dark Eldar, sort of like the Chaos verson of Eldar.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by HolyTrevor
    nah i would rather have them focus on the current ones, game is already going to take 2 years and i don't really want to have to wait longer lol

I agree.  Kind of sick of the whole entitlement petitions bit.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

From the Interviews I have watched I think the Dev team would like nothing more than to have players be able to access all of the 40k universe races. But to do that right (so not to tick off all of the rabid 40k players) they have to draw the line somewhere so they can actually get the game out.

As long as the title does well at launch I think we have a pretty good chance at seeing not only other races but different sub races. Maybe even exodites. :)

The more races you add the more problems the team could have. They have set three races with several subraces in the design so far. Let them get it right first and who knows we may see some additions as this design cycle continues.