Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need a REAL round table w/ REAL polls

kruss11kruss11 Member Posts: 12

So basically their version of roundtable is stupid fluff polls with controlled speech by the moderators.  I though they wanted our input to make this game better.  Things like these topics that are springing up all over the place.  Why can't we have polls on stuff that matters?

An example from Reddit. 

Love

1. destructibility - though i'm concerned they're taking it too far with me burrowing holes in the ground to get to other tiers.. sounds silly and unrealistic.
  2. crafting - comparisons to SWG and making crafting usable again sounds nice
  3. new engine - looks pretty good
  4. AI - i'm skeptical that their AI will be anywhere near as good as they describe but for now anything better then mobs being systematically distributed in a large zone where i try to weave my way between them is a good thing.
  5. sandbox - crowd sourcing content to the extent that they seem to be with peer review is nothing but good

Hate

1. disney characters - though i can live with them if i can make something suitably evil looking
  2. 8 action abilities (4 class, 4 equipment).. i am having a very hard time seeing this as positive in any light
  3. no trinity action oriented combat.. someone else summarized my feelings best when they said we now have an 8 button kiddie console game. that's what they are showing us. i think they have some damage control to do on this front.
  4. silly amounts of particle affects
  5. classless systems - sounds nice conceptually however have by in large not been a good thing
I also believe the parkour system could be amazing if they took it a step further.  Go from automated jumping over stuff whats the point of it being there if ur character can numlock over all the terrain.?  Give a travel skill bar that has some sweet moves players can execute themselves and encorporate it into the dungeons and raid zones.  How cool would it be to be able to jump off rocks and do a flip to next rock, or jump onto something and swing up to another object.  Great idea with the parkour bad execution.  And the problem is they are asking if people like dwarf beards.  Thats the kind of subject that DOES NOT MATTER and won't help you gain revenue as a company. 

Help me push for a free open forum to mold the games of our dreams with REAL player input. 

Comments

• EadricEadric Member Posts: 28
    EQ1 had only 8 spell gems for the longest time. While I understand your concern, I'm willing to make that sacrifice if it means that I can watch more of the action and less of the cooldowns.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

look i get that there are a lot of things you guys don't like. i even agree with a few of them. i even totally agree with you that the roundtables in their current form are barely above the level of a farce and that they do limit speech into very narrow parameters as if, gahd forbid, SOE is leading us all by the nose. >.<

what i don't get is where this sense that you are entitled to have your say at an unprecedented level in the development of a AAA game costing who knows how much money and involving the future of a corporate enterprise.

i know what ive written appears to be angry, but its truly not. im honestly just taken aback by it all.

and i hope you won't take this as insult or as an invitation to pistols at dawn :)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

/agreed.  I would like to see some more game mechanic oriented polls,  I.E. Trinity, PvP, class roles, etc....

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

So considering all of your negatives, you just want the typical systems we've already seen in every single other MMORPG? 

There is nothing "simple" about their system. Having tons of hotbars and icons like other MMO's is just completely unnecessary and muddles up the combat system. By limiting the amount of skills you can use, you can actually strategically build your skillset without having a bunch of useless and arbitrary icons. Stop asking for EQ 2.5

The purpose of having SOE control the roundtable is so there aren't a bunch of whining threads and discussions and arbitrary things. The devs need to be able to focus on things they're actually working on.

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    I agree I would like to see more forum and interaction like Rift had prelaunch.  There were dev IRC chats every friday this might be harder with SoE and scope since Trion was new so the populace weren't as aware but they could do something. 

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Aceshighhhh

So considering all of your negatives, you just want the typical systems we've already seen in every single other MMORPG? 

There is nothing "simple" about their system. Having tons of hotbars and icons like other MMO's is just completely unnecessary and muddles up the combat system. By limiting the amount of skills you can use, you can actually strategically build your skillset without having a bunch of useless and arbitrary icons. Stop asking for EQ 2.5

The purpose of having SOE control the roundtable is so there aren't a bunch of whining threads and discussions and arbitrary things. The devs need to be able to focus on things they're actually working on.

Exactly.

Instead of condemning the game based on current iterations of the genre why not wait to see how their iterations will change the course.  I suspect the interactivity and inclusion of new proposals will make most of those worries go away.  An example is the removal of the Trinity is mandatory in the face of a smart A.I. because it makes no sense to plan for the un-planable.  Roles will still remain.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by kruss11

So basically their version of roundtable is stupid fluff polls with controlled speech by the moderators.  I though they wanted our input to make this game better.  Things like these topics that are springing up all over the place.  Why can't we have polls on stuff that matters?

An example from Reddit. 

Love

1. destructibility - though i'm concerned they're taking it too far with me burrowing holes in the ground to get to other tiers.. sounds silly and unrealistic.
    4. AI - i'm skeptical that their AI will be anywhere near as good as they describe but for now anything better then mobs being systematically distributed in a large zone where i try to weave my way between them is a good thing.
    5. sandbox - crowd sourcing content to the extent that they seem to be with peer review is nothing but good

Hate

1. disney characters - though i can live with them if i can make something suitably evil looking
    2. 8 action abilities (4 class, 4 equipment).. i am having a very hard time seeing this as positive in any light
    3. no trinity action oriented combat.. someone else summarized my feelings best when they said we now have an 8 button kiddie console game. that's what they are showing us. i think they have some damage control to do on this front.
    5. classless systems - sounds nice conceptually however have by in large not been a good thing
    I also believe the parkour system could be amazing if they took it a step further.  Go from automated jumping over stuff whats the point of it being there if ur character can numlock over all the terrain.?  Give a travel skill bar that has some sweet moves players can execute themselves and encorporate it into the dungeons and raid zones.  How cool would it be to be able to jump off rocks and do a flip to next rock, or jump onto something and swing up to another object.  Great idea with the parkour bad execution.  And the problem is they are asking if people like dwarf beards.  Thats the kind of subject that DOES NOT MATTER and won't help you gain revenue as a company. 

Help me push for a free open forum to mold the games of our dreams with REAL player input. 

I to fear we are being led down the garden path and posted elsewhere I wanted a better round table as in it's current form it's a pointless poll like what we see here daily. Now I am prepared to hang about as it's still early days and wait until they get this going but if it does stay in it's current form then there will be many angry people who will not like the rhetoric which was being emphasized on stage by the big man with no hair ;)

Bandit

Asbo

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I wouldn't expect much else until they are back from SOE live and have had a few days...

Beyond that could we start using "I" in titles instead of "we" .. unless we have a round table to appoint someone to know what everyone else wants.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Yea.. SOE listening to a round table is as believable as my Congressman listening to their citizens..  Devs have always felt THEY know best, and will do what they want until it proves a failure in game..  Then instead of just removing said mistake, they'll find some way to change it or add in another problem trying to correct the one they already made..  It has to do with Ego's and trust me devs have the biggest Ego's next to Hollywood and Pro Sports stars..
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    [mod edit].  The roundtable is in its first round of polls.  Of course the poll options aren't going to be major game changing things. 

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    [mod edit].  The roundtable is in its first round of polls.  Of course the poll options aren't going to be major game changing things. 

Shouldn't they be?  Why ask opinions if the topic is chump change..  The big issues should be FIRST and FOREMOST.. Afterall if we are talking about a big chunk of the game, It is better to change it now while there is time, then later and find out you have to rebuilt the whole damn thing..

• kruss11kruss11 Member Posts: 12
    Those were not my specific concerns while I agree with them 100% it was just an example.  We need a real discussion with real polls and not be stifled by the devs.  This is not a complaining about the game as of right now thread.  Its a we need a REAL discussion forum not what is going on right now.  If they really want to make a game for the players with player input they need to have open discussion for what the players really want.  You can't even post an opinion or your post gets erased for "trolling". 
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    [mod edit]  The roundtable is in its first round of polls.  Of course the poll options aren't going to be major game changing things. 

Where have you been that's the point of the round table.

Originally posted by aspekx

look i get that there are a lot of things you guys don't like. i even agree with a few of them. i even totally agree with you that the roundtables in their current form are barely above the level of a farce and that they do limit speech into very narrow parameters as if, gahd forbid, SOE is leading us all by the nose. >.<

what i don't get is where this sense that you are entitled to have your say at an unprecedented level in the development of a AAA game costing who knows how much money and involving the future of a corporate enterprise.

i know what ive written appears to be angry, but its truly not. im honestly just taken aback by it all.

and i hope you won't take this as insult or as an invitation to pistols at dawn :)

No pistols.  They specifically said they want to make the game from our likes and dislikes and that would be done through round table.  The problem is you can't discuss anything in round table that they don't want to to talk about.  So why are we helping form the world by talking about dwarf beards when we need to talk about combat, skills, classes, raiding.  There is still a LONG time to go until release, if we make a solid response for a real discussion forum we may be able to help shape the game in a lot of different ways. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

No pistols.  They specifically said they want to make the game from our likes and dislikes and that would be done through round table.  The problem is you can't discuss anything in round table that they don't want to to talk about.  So why are we helping form the world by talking about dwarf beards when we need to talk about combat, skills, classes, raiding.  There is still a LONG time to go until release, if we make a solid response for a real discussion forum we may be able to help shape the game in a lot of different ways. 

Because they are not ready to releases details about most of the stuff your asking and without detials there's nothing to discuss.

Round Table may well turn out to be a marketing gimmick but right now all there is to talk about is small and cosmetic things until SOE chooses to release major information on those systems so people can make informed resposnes and suggestions and not wild speculative remarks that serve no purpose.

That's what these forums are for apparently heh.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

SIGNED! 100% AGREE!

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Most of the questions in the polls are downright predictable and retarded.

I mean why bother to ask "Do you want as much as freedom as you want in EQ Landmark", seriously who the hell would say NO! I want as many restriction as possible in my world building game.

or the poll on ratgona, who wouldn't want to see more races or class in the game?

Originally posted by Drakynn

Because they are not ready to releases details about most of the stuff your asking and without detials there's nothing to discuss.

Round Table may well turn out to be a marketing gimmick but right now all there is to talk about is small and cosmetic things until SOE chooses to release major information on those systems so people can make informed resposnes and suggestions and not wild speculative remarks that serve no purpose.

That is the point my friend.  So we can help make the things that people like happen.  Why let them do them all first then be like lets change everything.  This is the perfect time and the round table is a perfect idea we just need more freedom to do our part and make this the best it can be.  The ONLY way it will happen is if we all make it happen.  Unless you guys want to do polls about dwarf beards, and rats up to you.  Just trying to bring awareness to this subject.  SOE has a ton of great ideas, they just need help implementing them.  This isn't a bash thread, the only thing that matters is getting a good game in the end and this is the way to do it. 

Originally posted by pvpirl

SIGNED! 100% AGREE!

Thank you for posting.  If your just lurking your not going to help the cause.  If you care about the future of the IP then POST your thoughts!

Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis

Most of the questions in the polls are downright predictable and retarded.

I mean why bother to ask "Do you want as much as freedom as you want in EQ Landmark", seriously who the hell would say NO! I want as many restriction as possible in my world building game.

or the poll on ratgona, who wouldn't want to see more races or class in the game?

Thats what I posted word for word and everything got deleted for "trolling"

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

This is something ive also wondered. We are not entitled to anything.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Drakynn

That is the point my friend.  So we can help make the things that people like happen.  Why let them do them all first then be like lets change everything.  This is the perfect time and the round table is a perfect idea we just need more freedom to do our part and make this the best it can be.  The ONLY way it will happen is if we all make it happen.  Unless you guys want to do polls about dwarf beards, and rats up to you.  Just trying to bring awareness to this subject.  SOE has a ton of great ideas, they just need help implementing them.  This isn't a bash thread, the only thing that matters is getting a good game in the end and this is the way to do it. 

Dwarf bears is gonna be important to someone out there,you just insulted that guy!

I do not think it's the perfect time honestly all people would be doing right now is firing shots in the dark,To me they need to focus on one thing at a time with the round tables initially for example release full details on classes and multiclassing then people can make informed reposnes and suggestions and refine it.

Also there need s to be limits or with the disparate views of the community development will never end or get anywhere.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

SOE does not, and has never considered their customers desires or feelings when doing anything.

Why would they start now?

People simply have the choice of putting up with SmedVision and playing the game, or not.

Otherwise, SOE has made it very clear over the years that anything involving customer satisfaction comes in way below everything else.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

An example from Reddit. 

Love

Hate

Do you really think they are going to spend millions of dollars building this game and let YOU make major design decisions?  No way.  What they want is to give you a feeling that you input is important. 

BTW, companies that say they care about you really don't.

Also:  Santa isn't real.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I like the roundtable idea, but I don't expect much more than a way to get people involved in the community of the game.  I almost don't want major game decisions to be decided by public committee, it's all going to turn into a mess if they try to please every person out there.  It sounds like they have a solid idea of where they want to go, and I like most of those ideas, it's execution I'm worried about at this point.

Not all who wander are lost...