Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I'm asking as politely as possible: How did this get E3 best in show exactly?

Comments

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Heh, I was wondering the exact same thing today. Cool concepts and ideas? You bet!....but if Bill and the Gang saw what we've all seen thus far, then I'm not sure how you can give a game that isn't even a game yet "best in show".

No one has given a reasonable argument as to what MMO should have won instead

So go post a poll thread

What about you guys do your dirty job yourself?

It's you who dispute MMORPG.COM's decision, not us...

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Distopia

All I know is there would have been just as much or more outcry about ESO, or one of the other "demo" games shown being picked.

All the site risks is the dubious risk to its 'reputation'; assuming a site that sells advertising could ever be thought to have one of those.

How's that old joke go? "We've already established what you are, young lady. Now we're just haggling over the price."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member
    Heh, I was wondering the exact same thing today. Cool concepts and ideas? You bet!....but if Bill and the Gang saw what we've all seen thus far, then I'm not sure how you can give a game that isn't even a game yet "best in show".

Maybe look up who won best of show by everyone OTHER than MMORPG.com and TenTonHammer. They weren't offered "exclusive" info, thus judged the games fairly. (as fairly as these things can be anyways.)

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,916Member Uncommon

The other options were, console kiddy MMO's, ESO (or omen as is it seems to be judged around here), a medieval game with cars (if AA was at E3 I'm not sure), The return of a failed game (FF)...

Note: the wording used is to give off the impression those games receive around here.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• MargulisMargulis Glendale, AZPosts: 1,614Member

Any game that actually had more than screenshots and a tech demo to display, that could show you the features they talk about, not just talk about all their iseas and plans.  Again, see Xyson.  So, every game there likelydeserved it more at this point in time

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon

Well I'm glad the employees at MMORPG.com and Ten Ton Hammer get to go to these events it seems they know what's better than the people who are actually buying these games (end sarcasm). Seriously, does anyone have the backbone to say," Hey, the MMO customers don't like feature(s) X or suggest feature(s) X might draw more people to your product"?. No, instead we get kiss asses who'll flap their lips at anything to get a quick dollar. So much for the MMO genre it looks as though we'll have to put up with Multiplayer Action RPGs now.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member

To repeat myself regrettably

Most games at every E3 would not meet your criteria then.Most games shown are only demos or very focused and very limited playable demos at best.By your criteria there would be no game of Show winners for any category any year unless a game was shown that happened to be close to release,which is not the purpose of E3.

E3 is a venue used to announce new games usually a year or two from being close to finished and for the mist not even working as a fully functional game yet.Most of what you see is mock ups and tightly controlled,specially made playable demos of concepts they want to showcase most not even playable by anyone outside the company demonstrators.

A very high percentage of games that have won E3 awards since it's inception would not of gotten awards by what people here have decided should be the criteria and most years there would be no awards at all.

Where I think MMORPG.com erred was you should cater to your audience and giving an award to a game your audience can't also see is not catering to them.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,602Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

So go post a poll thread

What about you guys do your dirty job yourself?

It's you who dispute MMORPG.COM's decision, not us...

Cuz I didn't ask the question.

But to answer it, If there should be a minimum requirement for a game to meet to be considered a game (And I think there should) and there are no games that meet that requirement, then you'd have your answer wouldn't you?

Originally posted by Drakynn

To repeat myself regrettably

Most games at every E3 would not meet your criteria then.Most games shown are only demos or very focused and very limited playable demos at best.By your criteria there would be no game of Show winners for any category any year unless a game was shown that happened to be close to release,which is not the purpose of E3.

E3 is a venue used to announce new games usually a year or two from being close to finished and for the mist not even working as a fully functional game yet.Most of what you see is mock ups and tightly controlled,specially made playable demos of concepts they want to showcase most not even playable by anyone outside the company demonstrators.

A very high percentage of games that have won E3 awards since it's inception would not of gotten awards by what people here have decided should be the criteria and most years there would be no awards at all.

Where I think MMORPG.com erred was you should cater to your audience and giving an award to a game your audience can't also see is not catering to them.

I think they did pick the one they viewed as catering to us, it really explains the answer the OP is looking for in a simple way. The biggest theme we hear over and over on this site is "we need change", EQN is offering a bunch of it ( at least in words and demonstration). How many times have we heard why SOE changed EQN directions? How many times did we hear how different GW2 was?

This site caters to the theme prevailing on it. SOE has talked a a lot about two of those big themes, Themeparks being dead, and player controlled sandbox features.

Hence they were talking the talk that most fits with the overruling theme of this community.

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Well I'm glad the employees at MMORPG.com and Ten Ton Hammer get to go to these events it seems they know what's better than the people who are actually buying these games (end sarcasm). Seriously, does anyone have the backbone to say," Hey, the MMO customers don't like feature(s) X or suggest feature(s) X might draw more people to your product"?. No, instead we get kiss asses who'll flap their lips at anything to get a quick dollar. So much for the MMO genre it looks as though we'll have to put up with Multiplayer Action RPGs now.

You're in the wrong place if you want that. The very reason you're visiting this site rather than a place you'd get that is exactly why they don't do it. Exclusive access to the industry.

Their goal is to land these gigs, bring those big names on board, why? Because it brings us here. It's no different than music press.

• HycooHycoo OsloPosts: 217Member
    The truth is, some of these ''editors'' are the biggest fanboys out there and are easily hyped. Can't listen to anything they say, make your own judgement after experiencing it yourself. 

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,594Member Uncommon
    "Best in show" is a subjective value judgement, made by the people involved. Its their *opinion*. If you disagree, thats *your opinion*.  Its really as simple as that.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

Originally posted by strangiato2112 Originally posted by remyburke Heh, I was wondering the exact same thing today. Cool concepts and ideas? You bet!....but if Bill and the Gang saw what we've all seen thus far, then I'm not sure how you can give a game that isn't even a game yet "best in show".
    The other options were, console kiddy MMO's, ESO (or omen as is it seems to be judged around here), a medieval game with cars (if AA was at E3 I'm not sure), The return of a failed game (FF)...

Note: the wording used is to give off the impression those games receive around here.

I would have picked Destiny as best MMO in show with EQN as most anticipated.
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by remyburke Heh, I was wondering the exact same thing today. Cool concepts and ideas? You bet!....but if Bill and the Gang saw what we've all seen thus far, then I'm not sure how you can give a game that isn't even a game yet "best in show".

I agree about destiny, yet I'd have given EQN most innovative personally over WH40k.

• stragen001stragen001 ReadingPosts: 1,720Member
    Best in show does not mean the best game on show at E3. Best in show always goes to the game that is currently most hyped on show at E3, hence EQN got it

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• killahhkillahh calgary, ABPosts: 437Member

Now that we have seen the same stuff as the staff here and at Ten Ton Hammer, I am a bit confused as to how this nabbed best in show at E3. Mainly because none of the footage was actual gameplay. We saw tech demos of the voxel layered world (which is amazing). We saw two players on the screen fighting, jumping, hopping over rocks, falling down holes. We saw some world building tools ala minecraft which is pretty cool too.However, we did not see the following:Zero crafting. No raids, no actual quests or objectives, no rallies, no groups to speak of other than two players. No trade functions, chat functions, no character creation videos. We didnt see 40 classes. We didnt see any dynamic AI. But you were told these things would be in game. You weren't actually shown them. So how exactly did it get best in show? We have not even seen this game working in real time. I actually got too watch people play Assassin's Creed 4, Destiny, and Watch Dogs. Those games I would qualify as being shown. EQNext was 5% substance and 95% concept. I will agree that what we saw was a cool tech demo of the engine. But that was not a game yet. let alone an mmo and even further from what I would even consider a nominee for best in show at E3.If you read Bill Murphy's article, then look at the limited amount of footage, you'll realize that amost everything he is talking about that is so amazing is not really in the game or at least not shown. It was al stuff that he was told would be in it. I mean, I can spin a pretty graphic tale of the perfect mmorpg too. Will that garner me game of the year?So what gives, mmorpg.com?

I'm asking politely as well for you to read everything on EQN, and to understand what best in show means before posting again, please

Gonada Dahung,over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting....Please Lord, let someone make a game that had all the awesomeness of UO, EQ and EVE...

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Posts: 374Member

One word;

SPHERE .

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Most websites have been praising EQN after the reveal this weekend, so its not just MMORPG.com or TTH. Maybe the haters on this forum are the odd ones out?
  • r0guyr0guy ParisPosts: 115Member

Originally posted by remyburke Heh, I was wondering the exact same thing today. Cool concepts and ideas? You bet!....but if Bill and the Gang saw what we've all seen thus far, then I'm not sure how you can give a game that isn't even a game yet "best in show".

Destiny showed a tiny level ( EQN showed 2 much bigger), guns and a rocket launcher (EQN showed hammers, spells and a bow), 4 classes (EQN: Mage, warrior, Tempest and idle animation for ranger), 1 enemy and 2 bosses (EQN: 1 ennemy and 1 boss...) it also showed a scripted ship warping in...

Your argument is invalid.

Seriously it's really pedantic to suggest that Destiny wasn't a prototype because it had a health bar on it's screen. EQN showed everything Destiny did except A.I and a U.I.

Also what is Destiny aside from "More instanced Borderlands that looks and plays like Halo". It looks nice but really? Is this the direction you've hoped and dreamed MMOs will go down?

• PlumpPlump Acushnet, MAPosts: 10Member

The Eqnext team simply overplayed their hand. They hyped the concepts/vision of EQnext in hopes that it alone would sell people on it. If you saw the class/lore panels then you can clearly detect the amount of bullshit canned PR responses the team spewed at players. They simply do NOT have enough development under their belt to showcase EQnext yet in a substantial fashion. For this reason, I feel like EQnext is 2+ years away. I think that the dev team was hoping to have a demo-able EQ Landmark available at SOE live, but failed to meet the goal. that was what Smed was referring to in his infamous tweets. No way would they have the balls to think their core gamers are dumb enough to consider a polished tech demo as a working, playable version of EQnext.

This whole trend of over-hyping games when they are years away from even playable beta must END imo. I, for one, am sick and tired of hearing these PR suits dodge 99% of important questions with salesman jargen. If I have to sit here and listen to one more game developer start a reply to a question from a press rep with the word "So"....I will explode.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,927Member Uncommon

How did SWTOR get "Game of the Year" when it was out for less then a week before the year was over? 

Easy! $

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Distopia Originally posted by strangiato2112 Originally posted by remyburke Heh, I was wondering the exact same thing today. Cool concepts and ideas? You bet!....but if Bill and the Gang saw what we've all seen thus far, then I'm not sure how you can give a game that isn't even a game yet "best in show".
    The other options were, console kiddy MMO's, ESO (or omen as is it seems to be judged around here), a medieval game with cars (if AA was at E3 I'm not sure), The return of a failed game (FF)...   Note: the wording used is to give off the impression those games receive around here.
    I agree about destiny, yet I'd have given EQN most innovative personally over WH40k.

I would hand EQN the innovative award for the voxel engine.

Originally posted by evilastro
    Most websites have been praising EQN after the reveal this weekend, so its not just MMORPG.com or TTH. Maybe the haters on this forum are the odd ones out?
    I'm not a hater. Just trying to look at things as objectively as I can. Maybe I'm the odd one out because of that haha
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,602Member Uncommon

The other options were, console kiddy MMO's, ESO (or omen as is it seems to be judged around here), a medieval game with cars (if AA was at E3 I'm not sure), The return of a failed game (FF)...   Note: the wording used is to give off the impression those games receive around here.

AFTER it's been proven to work as intended in a massively online environment.

AFTER it's been proven to work as intended in a massively online environment.

E3 is a tech/trade show... nothing being awarded has "proven" itself yet.