Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics kill it for me SOE.

C3llTherapyC3llTherapy Member Posts: 15
I don't care how many other threads are made that voice a similar opinion I choose to post what is a game breaker to me. I was hoping the game would be more adult oriented and realistic. New game mechanics sound great though and I hope they have an influence on the gaming industry as a whole, but I will not be playing this one. TESO is hitting hitting the mark with me visually as well as Age of Conan which I never got to play. I wish the EQnext luck though I am sure it will appeal to others just not for me with so many other choices out there.

Comments

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

Age of Conan's graphics have not stood the test of time.  They don't look as great as they did when the game launched even though they've stayed the same..

Again the reason SOE went the way of stylized is sot he graphics will stand the test of time far longer.  I think they look good.

They also are not going to just switch direction in terms of art because art is expensive.  So complain all you want, it won't change anything.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    Then don't play the game. Wow that was a easy solution
  • tedgptedgp Member Posts: 33

Say it with me.  PLACEHOLDER GRAPHICS. 

They even said that on the presentation video. ALthough to be fair they did use the phrase " This is how it looks in game right now".

It's typical marketing speech.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

You see.... this is an interesting thing about mmorpg.com...

There are like thousands of "Omg Disney graphic boo hoo hoo QQ" topics, yet i asked some question concerning a real problem for me and my topic sank to bottom.

Oh well... this ceased to be an usefull forum long time ago :(

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• desik969desik969 Member Posts: 11

Your post mirrors my own sentiments pretty well. I think the game looks alright and I'm sure it will do what it sets out to achieve well enough, but I am not a fan of the graphics so I won't be playing it.

Anyone who likes the graphics and wants to play EQN, that's great and I hope they enjoy themselves, but the insane hype and  over defensiveness of people who like the game is just as annoying as any irrational hatred towards it.

Originally posted by ckeeton999

I'm sorry to single you out here, but this is the exact type of over defensive stupidity I was talking about.

If you bothered to read the OPs post he says in the third sentence he wont be playing the game. The fact that he won't be playing, however, does not mean he can't share his opinion whether it is positive or negative.

But hey if you want to maybe take your own advice, then try this on for size:

If you don't like the thread then don't read it. Wow that was an easy solution.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Caskio

Age of Conan's graphics have not stood the test of time.  They don't look as great as they did when the game launched even though they've stayed the same..

Again the reason SOE went the way of stylized is sot he graphics will stand the test of time far longer.  I think they look good.

They also are not going to just switch direction in terms of art because art is expensive.  So complain all you want, it won't change anything.

Just please stop!

You and so many others make this statement over and over and it makes absolutely no sense

Why do cartoon graphics age better?  If people are sick of them already from previously released games how does that make them ageless?

I'd rather see Skyrim graphics 10 years from now than see the same plastic models - "stylized" equals cheap

And it isn't like graphics developed for the PC can't be updated continously - but that is probably what the problem is - the consoles that the game is being developed for aren't quite so easily updated

• DanaDarkDanaDark Member Posts: 125
    The scenery looked pretty darn good to me. The player characters were somewhat cartoony, but at least well done. And a BILLION times better than the pudding they call player characters in EQ2.
    Originally posted by desik969

I'm sorry to single you out here, but this is the exact type of over defensive stupidity I was talking about.

If you bothered to read the OPs post he says in the third sentence he wont be playing the game. The fact that he won't be playing, however, does not mean he can't share his opinion whether it is positive or negative.

Sorry but we dont need another thread stating the same thing the last 20 threads already stated. 

Originally posted by gatheris

Just please stop!

Your and so many others make this statement over and over and it makes absolutely no sense

Why do cartoon graphics age better?  If people are sick of them already from previously released games how does that make them ageless?

I'd rather see Skyrim graphics 10 years from now than see the same plastic models - "stylized" equals cheap

And it isn't like graphics developed for the PC can't be updated continously - but that is probably what the problem is - the consoles that the game is being developed for aren't quite so easily updated

People make this statement because its true and also because its easier to run on many machines, sure we could have skyrim or age of conan graphics, but were playing an mmo, it wont end well.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    brain tumor?dont rely on what you see!sony themselves cant say how the end product will look like ! why ? because as far as I know almost nobody use voxel to create a game !yes the way has been known for ages but it was deemed too resource hungry to be viable for game !if sony is using a new way to create this none can say how bad or great the game will look !they might need to up  the quality or lower it ,this is why before they can even begin to create the whole game they ll need to polish the demo they showed or whatever they use internally and simulate server player etc ! this means asking corp with server to actually simulate this ! sony is using a completely new way to create this title ! so if I was gamer I would wait to make decision !
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I dunno IMO it looked pretty good. Stylized but very detailed which is what matters in an exploration game. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

True....................... but there is a but

EQ had "realistic" graphics for its time and went outdated quite fast.

But EQ managed to have  more subscribers than EQ2 which had much better graphics and art style,

And yet to date, EQ is still the most succesful and played MMO of SoE portfolio, despite the graphics.

Graphics don't count much in MMORPGs longevity.

The risk for EQNext is that this kind of graphics puts people off right away rather than in 5 years time, as it would happen with a more realistic approach.

Originally posted by desik969

Sorry but we dont need another thread stating the same thing the last 20 threads already stated. 

Unfortunately that's how forums work, at least until the game studios start paying these sites (more money) to censor content they disagree with.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by C3llTherapy
    I don't care how many other threads are made that voice a similar opinion I choose to post what is a game breaker to me. I was hoping the game would be more adult oriented and realistic. New game mechanics sound great though and I hope they have an influence on the gaming industry as a whole, but I will not be playing this one. TESO is hitting hitting the mark with me visually as well as Age of Conan which I never got to play. I wish the EQnext luck though I am sure it will appeal to others just not for me with so many other choices out there.

No EQ game looks like TESO or AOC. Personally, I strongly dislike the Elder Scrolls look and gameplay mechanics. They are completely different types of games.

TESO and AOC are hack and slash combat, bloody, gritty, male 15-30 demographic games. EQ has and never will be like that.

To me it is the same if I went to the TESO forum and said I'm not playing it because it doesn't look like EQN. Doesn't make any sense at all.

But good luck and happy gaming.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245

Anyone remember when the first TESO screens came out and everyone claimed it was cartoony because it didn't look like Skyrim?

• C3llTherapyC3llTherapy Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by bestever

The GFX look great and don't bug me one bit. Age of Conan looked good and still does in some area's but a lot of the textures are showing age. The main reason I think they have stuck with this type of art is for older computers. There's a huge amount of people still running old computers that can't handle high end GFX. So don't blame SOE for using what will bring in the most people.

Just wait for black desert, black gold or bless if you want those GFX, just hope you have the system to run them. 

You are most likely right imo. With the economy the way it still is and the rate of new computer sales being so abysmal it was best to go the route they did. I do have to say I do like many of the environments, but almost every player character and monster turn me off. Over sized armor etc just way too cartoon like for me on the eyes although I know many others do like this it is just not for me.