Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Georgeson confirms Landmark-EQN crossover building and PVP

2»

Comments

• technineztechninez Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The main reason why they won't talk about PvP now, just like they won't take about player housing or crafting, is certainly because they are still working on those aspects and nothing is set in stone, and they don't want to give false information and/or false hopes.

Originally posted by Saxx0n

I seriously doubt it will be full loot and I and most pvpers don't care about that. Most of us don't even give a shit about ffa either.

Most of us just want a good faction based system with territory control and meaning.

I agree with that.

ill triple that.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    I'll admit I could have fun with a good faction system... But not compromising the definition of sandbox I subscribe to, you should be able to attack anyone anywhere.. With major consequences for attacking your faction. Like you are banished and on your own, which would be brutal.

On the other hand... Abilities like the warrior whirlwind make me think it has to be faction based... Otherwise friendly fire would be unmanageable.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Judging form the overall list of features we've seen EQN have, together with Dave's excitement of talking about the possibilities of PvP I somehow get semi-relieved. When their bringing so much new stuff to the table, would he be so excited over a classic, simple and repetetive battleground system, 10vs10 and CTF? I'm not so sure. Although, I realize that that might still exist in the game, as it should. But I feel that there is a lot more behind the curtains, all based on his excitement when PvP is brought up. They have somewhat successfully set the mood and excitement in everyones head so far, I'm sure they can think of something cool and original for PvP as well.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, the OP is just confirming what any sensible person who has played EQ already knows, of course their will be PVP. Unlike what the OP has been spouting on for months, EQN is not built from the ground up on PVP, from all the information so far it's a PVE game that will have some sort of PVP system.

The PVP crowd know as much as they did before the show and now realize that EQN is not going to be darkfall in norrath.

1-0 to the PVErs.

123 - 0 to the carebears you mean.

well if PvAll is not at the core design level and NPC and players are not equal, this is simply not going to be a sandbox MMO, sorry

Every "PvPer" is a PvEer too, the terminology of "PvE vs. PvP" is highly misleading and nothing but agenda.

It´s PvAll realism vs. PvE-only immersion breaking mode with some meaningless PvP option tacked on.

We´ll see, probably they are taking the carebear friendly route like the other 123 casual MMOs. Good luck with sharing their audience with the massive number of similiar titles.

I will totally agree with you that the market is full of PvE games.   Then you have to take a logical look at the market and wonder why... it shouldn't take to much logical thinking to make a conclusion.    In a flooded market if nobody is going after the part of the Market that isn't flooded... why is that...

The other problem is that people who want a PvP game base most of their online presence in doing one of two things...

1) being snarky to PvE Players

2) posting on forums

The problem is not what people choose to do.. It is the fact that neither of those things is going to make a PvP game happen.   A company has to decide they are willing to put down the 100 Million (or so) in development cost to make a AAA PvP game...   so those companies need to have people talking to them (not posting on this forum) to convince them that there is enough market for that PvP game.

Now if SOE when they talk about PvP in EQN suddenly mention FFA (meaning any kind of forced pvp even if its faction based intead of FFA etc) ... well that is great.   However, it won't take much of a rocket scientist to also realize they will lose the majority of their potential PvE player base at that exact same time.

Ultima Online in my mind was the greatest MMO ever made.... I loved FFA full loot PvP.. but there is no denying (unless you are just trying to be difficult) what the result of that system was on the player base.

In a perfect world everyone could be happy.. but I don't see how that happens when anyone is having something forced on them that they don't enjoy (whether its PvE or PvP).   Which means no matter how you cut it in order to retain the PvE players there has to be some sort of seperation.. or they (SOE) have to be happy with a niche playerbase.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess...

*edit* somehow part of an entirely different reply was mixed into this one.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344
    Originally posted by Lorgarn

When their bringing so much new stuff to the table, would he be so excited over a classic, simple and repetetive battleground system, 10vs10 and CTF? I'm not so sure. Although, I realize that that might still exist in the game, as it should. B.

Nothing would ruin my interest in this game more than if the devs started mentioning their awesome instanced battlegrounds that we can queue up for at any time. Please. God. No.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Originally posted by Lorgarn

When their bringing so much new stuff to the table, would he be so excited over a classic, simple and repetetive battleground system, 10vs10 and CTF? I'm not so sure. Although, I realize that that might still exist in the game, as it should. B.

Nothing would ruin my interest in this game more than if the devs started mentioning their awesome instanced battlegrounds that we can queue up for at any time. Please. God. No.

And nothing kills the interest for this game faster then open pvp for arguebly the majority of players.

I have zero problems with the option to pvp nor having some pvp servers to go along with pve servers.

I liked what Funcom did in AO and to a lesser extent in Aoc. Taking the AO excample.. most zones where 75% suppression gas, aka pve only, some areas ( ussually not even the entire zone) where 50% (faction based pvp) and 0% where you where pretty much able to attack everyone.

Look at all the chaos on the forums just over what was revealed so far. Makes a lot of sense to me that they avoided talking about PVP... Maybe they will let the dust settle first.
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    Look at all the chaos on the forums just over what was revealed so far. Makes a lot of sense to me that they avoided talking about PVP... Maybe they will let the dust settle first.

truth is they going to have to bite that bullet sooner or later, it will arguebly have the same end result on the people playing anyway.

The majority of pve players wont play open pvp, infact the majority wont play without having the option to expose them selves and/or their creations to it.

The majory of pvp players wont play it if there is no option to pvp. They will still play this even if the pvp is limited. And/or have a choise to play on a pvp server.

Few pvps wil pass up on this game if pvp is restricted (in anyway)

SOE will have to come out with that info sooner or later, the above wont change one way or another. That and.. knowing the above.. if you where a betting man.. we  allready know where the smart money goes.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

As I stated earlier in this thread SOE is not to concerned about upsetting pve players with all core game changes and the massive amount of crying going on just in these forums alone.

SOE is making the game they want not what the pve masses want and from Georgeson's reaction pvp will play quite a role in EQN.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

As I stated earlier in this thread SOE is not to concerned about upsetting pve players with all core game changes and the massive amount of crying going on just in these forums alone. SOE is making the game they want not what the pve masses want and from Georgeson's reaction pvp will play quite a role in EQN.

people cry about games theses days regardless, no matter what you do. however they are taking some pretty big chances by completely changing what everquest is in almost every way.

i will not be surprised by what they will do with pvp at this point, there could be a ffa full loot pvp system and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

especially if there are multiple server rulesets.

Originally posted by baphamet

As I stated earlier in this thread SOE is not to concerned about upsetting pve players with all core game changes and the massive amount of crying going on just in these forums alone.

SOE is making the game they want not what the pve masses want and from Georgeson's reaction pvp will play quite a role in EQN.

people cry about games theses days regardless, no matter what you do. however they are taking some pretty big chances by completely changing what everquest is in almost every way.

i will not be surprised by what they will do with pvp at this point, there could be a ffa full loot pvp system and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

That would be the smart money. Multple server rulesets.Not that it will stop people from complaining.. but then again.. what does? :P

It would definately work rather well that  the role pvp (or pve) has in the game if its set by server specivic rule sets, The world on a pvp server would be effected largely by pvp, and on a pve server pvp would effect the game little to not at all. I can see how that may be tricky to impliment but thats probebly the only way they can appease the masses.

If pvp will have a big role in the game, granted on how DOES it effect the game/world, it will definately keep the majority out.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Pipofix

I just watched the interview and Georgeson's responses were epic when Ganon asked the pvp question.

They are waiting to drop the pvp bomb until they have the pve crowd hooked good.

Put it this way, Georgson has a terrible poker face when it came to the pvp topic.

My guess is pvp will be a core game component but is too sensitive to bring up to some gamers at this point.

rpers have the constant fear of being ganked and tebaged, as it should be, rofl

Ganking and teabagging will have dire consequences in the faction system I believe.

Killing someone should be an act that is weighed and killing them for a reason not just because they are there.  I seriously doubt you're going to see any non-consensual PvP.. To do so will chase most of the customers away.. I'm confident that PvP will remain private like GW2 did with WvWvW.. Not open world..

PvP will be Open World, they said no instancing. They will probably go with SWG flagging system or just plain PvP servers.

This. Really pleased to see they're serious and not afraid to upset legacy players.

Originally posted by Bidwood

This. Really pleased to see they're serious and not afraid to upset legacy players.

You do realise he didntt confirm nor deny anything substantial right? He isnt saying anything about the amounth of pvp availeble nor its restrictions nor its effect in the game.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

I think it will end up being like WoW, where there would be PVE and PvP servers.

I would not like a game like GW2 where PvP is limited to some different place.

I would prefer the FFA style PvP  with cities being neutral grounds....which is how UO was too.

On the other hand a system like SWG where PvP was consensual (via guild/alliances mechanics) is not a bad approach either, it permits all kinds of styles of play styles to mix and play together.

And EvE style pvp approach where there is some core areas where pvp is not permitted and a 0 sec area aroudn where it is free for all, may sound good too but is more appropriate to a space game I think...

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
    @panthien - right. I was mostly agreeing with the idea that they aren't afraid of upsetting the fans of the franchise with the amount of change and are going to try for what they think will make the best game
    @panthien - right. I was mostly agreeing with the idea that they aren't afraid of upsetting the fans of the franchise with the amount of change and are going to try for what they think will make the best game
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Panthien
    Originally posted by baphamet

That would be the smart money. Multple server rulesets.Not that it will stop people from complaining.. but then again.. what does? :P

Think you need to read previous post and threads. EQ has nearly always had some form of PVP, it really isn't a problem if it's on separate servers. Problem is that's not enough for some people, they foolishly though EQN was going to be built from the ground up on PVP because Smed mentioned EVE.

It would definately work rather well that  the role pvp (or pve) has in the game if its set by server specivic rule sets, The world on a pvp server would be effected largely by pvp, and on a pve server pvp would effect the game little to not at all. I can see how that may be tricky to impliment but thats probebly the only way they can appease the masses.

There wouldn't be any PVP on a PVE server unless you chose to duel, fact is that unless a game is actually built for PVP, PVE holds sway.

If pvp will have a big role in the game, granted on how DOES it effect the game/world, it will definately keep the majority out.

Not if they keep to the server rulesets like they have always done.

What i don't understand is you have games that are very strong on PVP and have everything some are asking for, ArcheAge being one of them.

Black Desert is another then you have TESO RVR and CU, these games will be out at the same time as EQN or before in some cases.

If these people really loved PVP like they claim they would be playing DFUW or WurmOnline.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Further solidifies that this game (IMO) is gonna be amazing. I dont mind ffa pvp as long as its not full loot. But prefer it to be a flagging system.

There is no way this will be full loot FFA PvP. If you lost your gear, wouldn't you lose all of your horizontal progression they are preaching? And tier-ing up to advance yourself?

I dont think they'd go that route.

• level-uplevel-up Member Posts: 2

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this portal.

Please read if you believe there is a full loot

ITEMS

• All items will be bind on equip (or pickup, not sure). He said that he loved the idea of non-bind weapons but they ruin the economy.

Then, if it is present in the game the blinds on all the items, there can be no full loot.

sorry for my english

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Black Desert is another then you have TESO RVR and CU, these games will be out at the same time as EQN or before in some cases.

If these people really loved PVP like they claim they would be playing DFUW or WurmOnline.

I do not play DFUW because, the aventurine put a grind of pve too hight, thanks to the feats

the feats are not very different from the quest.

kill 20 goblin
    kill 50 goblin
    kill 200 goblin

are you facking me? this is a themepark with open pvp and full loot. IMHO.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well I'm now not sure about the game only because of no levels and also Divergence too , I wish all of them the best though , I might try EQNext because I like everything else they have revealed ( so far ) but I doubt it will hold my attention. So it's wait for PSO2 and Destiny for me then.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by hMJem
    Originally posted by DSWBeef Further solidifies that this game (IMO) is gonna be amazing. I dont mind ffa pvp as long as its not full loot. But prefer it to be a flagging system.
    There is no way this will be full loot FFA PvP. If you lost your gear, wouldn't you lose all of your horizontal progression they are preaching? And tier-ing up to advance yourself?

I dont think they'd go that route.

You wouldn't lose your classes, and that's where the progression is. If you lost your weapon, you'd just have to get another one to gain the specific weapon skills back.

I don't think they'll go the full loot route either, but there's no reason they couldn't have a full loot server since they will definitely have multiple servers and will probably have different server rule sets available.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.