Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: After watching the footage from Quakecon, how likely are you to purchase ESO now?

I bought Skyrim a month ago and I still can't put it down yet. In my mind, I thought ESO was going to be Skyrim but online with other people. I'm having second thoughts now.. It doesn't feel quite right. I know that because it's an MMO, there were gonna be some limits. Is there a day and night cycle? Are there gonna be pillar that I can hide behind to get out of line of site? Where are those tight dungeon corridors that I'm used to?

ESO just seems like yet another generic MMO. Maybe my expectations were too high? What are your thoughts? Still plan on buying it?

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Never had any intrest in the game but was hoping the footage would pull me in. ESO is a total pass from me. We need games to become more dynamic in a living breathing world. 
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    After seeing what EQN is looking like and then seeing this...I won't bother with ESO.
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    They are a bit late to the themepark clone party. Most people have moved on to sandboxes.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If ESO launches before EQNext, I'll most probably play it. Until EQNext launches image

If ESO delays their launch 'till after EQNext, it will most likely be... tumbleweeds...

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I think the title of this post should be renamed to "After seeing eq next at SOE LIVE, how likey are you to purchase ESO now" and the answer is 100% likley!
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    ESO looked pretty good. Will most likely try it. It will definetly come out before EQN so no problem there. EQN accoarding to what they said yesterday has only been in full development for a year so it going to be a few more before its released.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I'll be getting ESO because it will be similar IMO. But everyone enjoys different things. I won't be going crazy and buying the CE, but it should be worth it as a game in general. I also won't be going in with a bunch of hype. Just hoping to enjoy myself and maybe get lucky finding another good group to join once I am there.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Feels like a definite purchase for me right now from what I've seen. Though there's still much to go, so we'll see.

As for EQN, I'll probably give it a try as it's going to be free to try, but I'm not really excited about it.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I suspect ESO will do better on the consoles.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    I just visited the EQ Next forum and a lot of outrage and def not up to the hype or expectation.  MMO genre is in trouble.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Looks like a great game actually, not sure what people's problems are.   Those comparing ESO to EQN totally forget the similarities of both games.  Both games are harping on the "play how you want, when you want" idea.  Both games are doing away with following ! marks on npc's heads for quests.  Both games are trying to let players have more freedom of choice, both games are saying you can use any weapons, play however you want to play.  

EQN is copying GW2's game design and combat, while ESO seems to be going with FPS-MMO design, which I love.  An archer that has to aim with his mouse when shooting bow instead of just an auto aim and homing arrows is really nice.   I also do like ESO not afraid of talking PvP, they actually embrace it.  Where as EQN devs are almost afraid of talking PvP, but then SOE has never done PvP right so it's not surprising they aren't sure how they want to finalize PvP yet.

My guess is ESO will be a great game for those looking for a bit more combat control, and those who can't get used to the graphics EQN is going for.  Where as EQN should be a great sandbox experiment, and I say experiment because everything sounds so great on paper at the moment, but nobody knows how the game will actually play out once players get a chance to trash it.  EQN will be great fun for those looking for smashmouth gameplay where you get to do lots of AOE, break lots of things, roll over mobs with ease, etc...

So before people bash ESO just because EQN had some shiny pretty footage to show, I would encourage folks to think about the similarities of both games rather than differences.  At least one game is currently beta testing, with playable classes/races, with combat and skills setup, and a lot of actual ingame footage with AI that are actually working properly.  The other game, while announced, is still such a phantom, nobody knows how combat will be because devs say it's not finalized, nobody knows all the classes available, and they didn't even have playable beta where npc's act like npc's.

I'd definitely get ESO first since it looks like EQN will be awhile yet before they're ready to be launched.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

MMO fans should just stop getting hype on upcoming triple A titles until they get their hands on.

At least ESO has shown what it is which is a multplayers elder scrolls game with a PVP battleground/siege system.

unlike EQN which at the moment is all talk .

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by gamekid2k
    I just visited the EQ Next forum and a lot of outrage and def not up to the hype or expectation.  MMO genre is in trouble.

really? a large majority of people in the EQ N forum are already acting like SOE apologist, completely making things up to defend/patronize the game, and believing everything SOE said, which is a no no.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by crasset15
    They are a bit late to the themepark clone party. Most people have moved on to sandboxes.

im interested. to which 'sandbox' did they move on? i mean ... since there is none.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If ESO launches before EQNext, I'll most probably play it. Until EQNext launches image

If ESO delays their launch 'till after EQNext, it will most likely be... tumbleweeds...

Pretty much my position as well.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Best mmo i saw for long time
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Think I'll buy it because I like ES. Probably won't play it for long though because I could not care less about Cyrodiil and that seems to be their real love.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    I'm a fan of mmorpgs and ES so I definitely will be buying it.
  • RophezRophez Member Posts: 46
    I thought the footage looked pretty good.  Let's face it - MMO's are a lot more fun to play than to watch.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my own character and developing him the way I want.  I'm also really looking forward to seeing some RVR footage.  I'm sure they must be getting it polished and ready to show to the masses pretty soon!
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

When ESO comes out, I will start a new character in Skyrim................. I also hope that TES 6 is not far away.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Think I'll buy it because I like ES. Probably won't play it for long though because I could not care less about Cyrodiil and that seems to be their real love.

Same for me too. I really like the series so probably I'll buy ESO no matter how deeply daocdude mess it up, at the worst case scenario I'll put it on the shelf (next to the 2 boxes of TOR :) )

But yep, I too don't give a [ few mod-edit candidate words ] about their pvp-focused love child in Cyrodiil, same with their core design choices:

"It's online, you can play ES now with your friends - until you roll on the same faction of course"  really?

"Exploration, you can go anywhere - within the invisible walls we put in game, you know, for the faction lock"  lol, right...

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Footage proved to a lot of people what they were afraid of.

Poor animations.

Limited combat following suit with modern MMOs vastly limiting skills.

Graphics not up to par with what they were hyping. Namely a Skyrim MMO.

Console MMO limitations heavily focused on action combat making it more FPS than RPG.

Focus on PvP funnels everyone to the same place.

And they have a bad habit of using blatant lies...seriously, saying they don't have quests that force you to go to a place to get them and yet show footage of them getting quests!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Complete pass for me. Between this and EQN, I am so glad I wasn't hyped for either of them.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

im pumped for EQN -  have more interest in Wildstar than ESO

i wasnt going to buy ESO but the video inspired me to try ESO when it's released

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

ESO is dead even before it's arrival.

This game won't last a year without a huge change in structure/lay offs/CEO change..stuff of that kind. I wouldn't be surprised if it fails harder than SWTOR did.