Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    It looks like a great deal of fun.  Lets see if they can actually make all of those concepts work well together.  They have some impressive tech, lets see how the game plays.  If this works out, it could be a game changer.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • JimBeam251JimBeam251 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    SOE had my curiosity.... now they have my attention and i love the art style, looks great
  • QuillimQuillim Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by xalvi
    Originally posted by Quillim
    Originally posted by Scot
    Originally posted by QuickShatter

Graphics? you guys are whining about Graphics? when did, how SUPER life like a game looks take priority over how good a gameplays?

Also you guys have to realise that, the art style they chose maybe easyer for lower end computers to play. They aren't just making the game for you guys who have invested a shit ton of money into gaming rig.

Gameplay > Graphics : Seriously graphics? go back to the console games then, they are always pretty.

Have you been living on an alternate Earth since the millennium? Graphics has become king, gameplay is secondary and has been for years. It is a sad fact but if your game does not get at least 7.5 for graphics it is likely doomed. I am not saying there are not exceptions, Minecraft springs to mind. But they are exceptions for a reason.

Graphics have never and will never trump gameplay. Not in this millennium or the next.

Video Games with weak Gameplay and strong graphics die fast. Everquest 1 is still being played.. you think that's because of the GRAPHICS? World of Warcraft still persists, but has gone down in recent years. Why? Because of the perception that the GAMEPLAY has been watered down and gotten too formulaic(the Graphics have remained the same). Gameplay drives everything and it would be ignorant to say otherwise. And yes, things like Minecraft or Cube World can have extremely crappy graphics, yet keep people interested due to their Gameplay.

So no.. EQN's graphics don't worry me one bit. They look fine. It'll all come down to how they deliver on the Gameplay. Will they successfully remove the massive grinds? Will the emergent GAMEPLAY come out like they're expecting. How well will I interact with the world and other players? That's what interests me. Not how it particularly looks. But then, I tend to play video GAMES, not Video Graphics.

Not true, look at LOTRO. Terrible gameplay, extremely strong and realistic graphics.

Look at the former top Games worldwide and not the rounding error that is LOTRO.

Angry Birds

Candy Crush

Farmville

And what do they have in common? Extremely crappy graphics. What causes them to be extremely popular is their gameplay and replayability. That's what makes a good game, not the graphics they use.

Everquest in any form has never been a mass market game. Ever. There is a base in the tens of millions of users.. Everquest has only ever gotten 500K people subbed at any one time and the numbers have gone to less than 100K. It survives to this day due to the gameplay and due to there being enough people who enjoy that gameplay to justify the costs of development.

The simple fact will be that EQNext will rise or fall on its Gameplay, not its Graphics. If the Gameplay is extremely solid and revolutionary, people will get used to the Graphics in no time. The hope is that with that Gameplay, and the ability to create stuff for the game, that Everquest will finally go mainstream.

One thing I did quite like with the combat sequence as it pertains to graphics is that they seemed to have moved to a more close-up style of fighting. The toon wasn't needing to be like one inch high on the screen and needing a magnifying glass to see the detail. Either way, that's just eye candy... what will matter is whether or not i'm giving lots of choices of stuff to do and not forcefed through some bs story ala STTOR or GW2.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Awesome stuff!! The details sound great. I can't wait to see what all the different classes are like. It's funny hearing people rag on the game already, especially the graphics. When was a great MMO ever decided based on its graphics? Oh well - haters gonna hate.
  • Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    DARK ELVES IN CHAIN MAIL BIKINI'S! Need I say more? lol...but really, I'm digging everything I've seen so far.  If they can deliver, i'm sold, lock, stock and 2 smokin' barrels.
  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    SWTOR looks like mmo from year 2050  compared to this childish graphic
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Sounds great, but I highly doubt they will be able to deliver. Grand scale sand boxing is just impossible with today's technology no matter how hard they try and fluff it up, especially with a build unique sections yourself using a blocking system. There is no way such a thing can get out of the development environment, be hosted in real time, with thousands of players, and it not to be complete shit that requires GBs of bandwidth.
  • OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111

EverQuest Next Previews: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Rather bold claim, who comes up with this shit?

sure i like the concept of no levels and the fact that its graphics will age slowly thanks to its art direction and all but still its nothing new

what is this odd feeling? its not joy or excitement maybe my Gamer Heart has been killed by all the MMORPGs before this?

dem dogs barking

• LordEbolaLordEbola Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Destructible Everything: cant wait to see theres no world left after a month of server opening becase everythings been blown to bits
  • UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183
    Cartoony graphics? I will pass too. Some people may like it, it is a gamebreaker for me.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Cartoony graphics, game is ruined. It'll pull so many kids in and ruin the whole thing. If the graphics don't change this game is done. DONE

And you are?

I think it all looks good.  I shall watch this game come along with cautious optimism..

• shellersheller Member Posts: 14
    I'll stick with firefall, at least I'm not losing any money off it, and it's still fun to play.
  • xevier77xevier77 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    You are so guys are so wrong. SWG failed becuase they didnt commit to the classless system and introduced the NGE that turned it into WoW/starwars.  FFXIV failed because it was run extremely poorly, the UI was unplayable at times, Terribly unoptimized engine and bad support. None of either had anything to do with a classless system. In fact thats what drawed people to the game and what still draws people to the game. Why are there talents and specs in Wow, because people want to be able to changer there class to the way they want to play. A classless system is just a enhanced form of that where you actually pick and choose what ever you want to be. Also, there will be classes it seems like, but they will be extremely customizable. He said warrior and wizard in there, but being able to pick some warrior to enchance your wizard is what they are going for.  I like it personally. I will buy it and I cant wait for it to come out so I can play it.  I was totaly on the fence about this one, but seeing this makes me a believer they still got it. At least they are going back to what they used to be. Creating New types of gameplay for players and they have gotten out of the regergitation of wow clones.
  • xevier77xevier77 Member UncommonPosts: 16

I do not see cartoony graphics. I see some enhance cell shading going on, but its not cartoony. So I got a rhyme for you.

"There once was a game called Age of Conan that offered the best graphic that had ever been seen then, but nobody could play it, so nobody paid for it. and it was forced to go free to play to survive."

The best graphics just don't work on MMOs, Especially with this whole destructable landscape and procedurally generated content. Yeah your are going to have to give up some graphics to even think about touching those 2 behemoths. Not to mention the throngs of players that will be on the screen blowing up and effecting terrain.

• AncanduneAncandune Member Posts: 1
    No more "DING!"?  How are they to going to keep us addicted?
  • GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47

I am amazed at the ideas for EQN.

But two words of caution keep ringing in my head:  Implementation and Exploitation. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

The artstyle is wonderful. They learned from EQ2 which must have had one of the worst styles I've personally experienced...

A smart and distinct visual style can add so much to a game. The people in here who say it looks "bad"  have some awful taste. Fortunately, if WoW is any indication, most people in the MMOworld prefer a stylized look like in EQN and WoW instead of lifeless gray and brown realism.

That character model of the wizard looked like something straight out of Disney which is pretty damn cool. It reminds me of the artstyle of Bioshock: Infinite which is another super successful game.

And unlike other stylization attempts like SWTOR it's actually competently realized in EQN as well. SWTOR is just horrendously ugly compared to this

• citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36
    Disney... Wonder if the Little Mermaid or the beauty and the beast will be there? :-P May Mr. Parkinson rest in peace.
  • VineyeaVineyea Member Posts: 4
    lol I've heard less bullshit from fox news
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I got to say from the video's that I watched from soe live, the world was great, it looks light years better than what we had eq/eq2.   I like the idea of all those building blocks and the quests never being the same, while having community quest.  Then rolling an alt will never be the same as the foundation of the world and how the npcs will work will always keep you on your toes.

The only part I hated was how corny the kerra looked.  He almost looked like Tony the tiger meats the Lion King and put on wow armor.  That was the one true letdown of it all.

And folks your old piece of junk pc's are not going to run this.  I can already tell your going to need high end card to run this.  Even my gtx-550 ti with 2 meg just about went up in smoke keeping up with all that aoe stuff the tank was doing. 

So on one had the world looked great, and lots of nice idea.  However characters are going to look wow and cartoon like, and they ripped of the weapon types from guild wars, the armor from wow, the soul system from rift.

I got mixed feelings about this. 

• VekspecVekspec Member Posts: 4
    I hope everything else this games has makes up for the outdated cartoony graphics. I'm tired of MMOs coming out still with fantas-ish cartoony graphics. Looks like a Tera-GW2 clone. With all these new games coming out like BF4, etc and all these overpowered GPUs people are buying these days, I expected the next MMOs that come out to take advantage of our computers but yet they still come out with old style graphics. Sry, but doesn't sound like the future of MMO to me. If this is the future of MMOs, it's a sad day.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

We will some nice choices!

EQN for a cartoon character models and ESO for realistic character models

these 2 games should go well together I cant wait to be playing both of them!

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    I am a little concerned that they did not mention player housing at all.  It sounds like players can create elaborate areas, possibly dungeons, but they will probably be instanced and players do not have to gather materials or money to create these areas.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Sounds...interesting.  It was only a matter of time before someone brought Minecraft into an MMO.  We'll have to wait and see how limited it really is in practice.  If the "landscape" feature is something that's only temporary, I don't see much point in it, though I don't think we want to see a bunch of permanent penis castles.  I really hope they don't go full GW2 with their class system and lack of a trinity.  I don't care for the way GW2 went wrt classes with everyone being able to do everything.  Anyways, I have my doubts as to whether or not soe can pull all of this off.  Something tells me that the live game won't quite be what we're being promised now.  Time will tell.  Either way, I failed to poop myself as Mr. Murphy suggested we would do.  It just looks like Minecraft in an MMO with a few new twists.

Also, why did they wait until soe Live thing to make the big reveal?  Did you see the utter lack of enthusiasm in the audience?  Its almost as if they had to pull teeth to get any sort applause.  Those people are most likely the hardcore EQ fans who have been playing for years and were none too excited to see the new EQ go in such a different direction.  I'm sure the Minecraft neckbeards are happy with this but I doubt its the same for the EQ cat asses who's keyboards still have cheeto stains from late night EQ raids dating back to 2000.  Revealing EQN at E3 would have generated a better crowd reaction and more press .

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.