Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Georgeson confirms Landmark-EQN crossover building and PVP

ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

The interview with Dave Georgeson confirms that you will be able to take your own assets from Landmark and place them in the Everquest Next world as well as build your own stuff in Everquest Next itself. He also confirms that PVP will be in EQN, but they aren't talking about it yet. He says they have a lot of ideas with the systems EQN has.

The interview also covers crafting, questing and combat.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/everquest-next-interview-dave-georgeson/

Comments

• xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

The interview with Dave Georgeson confirms that you will be able to take your own assets from Landmark and place them in the Everquest next world as well as build your own stuff in Everquest Next itself. He also confirms that PVP will be in EQN, but they aren't talking about it yet. He says they have a lot of ideas with the systems EQN has.

The interview also covers questing and combat.

Okay, I'm all ears. Keep the info coming...

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

I just watched the interview and Georgeson's responses were epic when Ganon asked the pvp question.

They are waiting to drop the pvp bomb until they have the pve crowd hooked good.

Put it this way, Georgson has a terrible poker face when it came to the pvp topic.

My guess is pvp will be a core game component but is too sensitive to bring up to some gamers at this point.

• PipofixPipofix Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Saxx0n

I just watched the interview and Georgeson's responses were epic when Ganon asked the pvp question.

They are waiting to drop the pvp bomb until they have the pve crowd hooked good.

Put it this way, Georgson has a terrible poker face when it came to the pvp topic.

My guess is pvp will be a core game component but is too sensitive to bring up to some gamers at this point.

rpers have the constant fear of being ganked and tebaged, as it should be, rofl

Originally posted by Pipofix

Ganking and teabagging will have dire consequences in the faction system I believe.

Killing someone should be an act that is weighed and killing them for a reason not just because they are there.

• vaytevayte Member Posts: 11
    Pvp is in the game and I think it is going to play a big role. When I asked about pvp in the Q and A they went to the"we are not ready to talk about that yet" But at the end he did say it would be very silly to have a game with all this deductibility and no pvp. PvP sieges anyone?

MMO experience: SWG, Fury, Planetside 1&2, AoC, Warhammer, Wow, Vanguard, Firefall, SWTOR, Guild Wars 1&2, D&L, and more I can't remember

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Pvp-ers can go as nuts as they want as long as its not forced on anyone else, I want to focus on PVE, exploration and crafting in peace thanks.

Guild vs Guild open world and siege pvp, (maybe even full loot) would be a good compromise, as only those in pvp guilds at war would ever have to worry about ganks, the rest of us can set up a little camp with a good view of the destructible walls and catapults and hand round the popcorn.

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    I could see warplots so akin to war RvR areas guilds could build their city and flag it as PVP.  Castle siege pvp!!

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Most of the world can be destroyed. :) confirmed by georgeson.

The fact that they aren't talking about it tells me it is going to be a shocker and they want to generate some positive hype about other aspects of the game first.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Dave mentioned in the keynote that players could not destroy other players stuff unless they have permissions.  Darren made a distinction between abilities used in the "overworld" and those used in PvP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVqv78MfJus

@18:25

It's unclear at this point who SoE is trying to keep interested.  I'd imagine everyone image

Edit: Thanks for the link OP, I hadn't seen it yet and has a lot of great info, especially about crafting.

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173

I am 1min 27sec into the video and I like the fact that he talks about the roots of online gaming being the D&D style games from yesteryear.

Because I believe that Landmark is going to be chaos, I'm not sure what I want him to say about the Landmark to EQN Proper crossover.  I haven't finished the video yet, so who knows I might like it.

*Edit 1 - "we don't have vertical progression we have horizontal progression."

Look up some of my other posts and I've talked about horizontal progression before.  Still not to the PvP part, but I can see where a large part of the game will revolve around player conflict.

So hooking the PvE crowd in by not mentioning PvP and then laying it on them; could be intriguing.  At this point I would like to see a community that would work more together.  If PvP was in the game in the form of guild vs guild asset destruction I just hope it's not like Age of Conan where the guild halls were in instances.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by xxxxxx1
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

The interview with Dave Georgeson confirms that you will be able to take your own assets from Landmark and place them in the Everquest next world as well as build your own stuff in Everquest Next itself. He also confirms that PVP will be in EQN, but they aren't talking about it yet. He says they have a lot of ideas with the systems EQN has.

The interview also covers questing and combat.

Okay, I'm all ears. Keep the info coming...

Yay! Aaaaand the game is back on my radar.

great interview

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148

Isn't it hard to imagine that Landmark content wont be heavily instanced? I don't have a problem with doing so as I think it will be required.

If instanced, its hard to imagine destroyed keeps and castles, etc...

Has anyone heard them talk to server size/population? Everything about this game would be better on smaller, less massive servers imo.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

He can hook an play his poker face all he wants.  The pve only crowd will drop him if it's forced on them.  

so what, they can go play the other three dozens of old school MMOs which do not "force" realism on them.

I bet SOE knows that any kind of "flagging" and "invincible" mode are immersion breaking crap concepts which need to change too.

Maybe you´ll get your PvE-only server though, but another least resistance mode MMO isn´t that innovative

Originally posted by FoeHammerJT

Isn't it hard to imagine that Landmark content wont be heavily instanced? I don't have a problem with doing so as I think it will be required.

Has anyone heard them talk to server size/population? Everything about this game would be better on smaller, less massive servers imo.

what do you mean by "landmark content" ? It´s just buildings and structures you build there and if approved place in the "real world" of EQN, nothing to do with instancing.

Looks to me that Landmark is just a big workbench to create stuff, then get it approved for placement in the open world

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Further solidifies that this game (IMO) is gonna be amazing. I dont mind ffa pvp as long as its not full loot. But prefer it to be a flagging system.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Lol, the OP is just confirming what any sensible person who has played EQ already knows, of course their will be PVP. Unlike what the OP has been spouting on for months, EQN is not built from the ground up on PVP, from all the information so far it's a PVE game that will have some sort of PVP system.

The PVP crowd know as much as they did before the show and now realize that EQN is not going to be darkfall in norrath.

1-0 to the PVErs.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by DocBrody

He can hook an play his poker face all he wants.  The pve only crowd will drop him if it's forced on them.  

so what, they can go play the other three dozens of old school MMOs which do not "force" realism on them.

I bet SOE knows that any kind of "flagging" and "invincible" mode are immersion breaking crap concepts which need to change too.

Maybe you´ll get your PvE-only server though, but another least resistance mode MMO isn´t that innovative

And you can go play any other number of PVP mmo's, fact is PVE is the core of the game as of this point.

Maybe you will get your PVP-only server though.image

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

He can hook an play his poker face all he wants.  The pve only crowd will drop him if it's forced on them.  So, I'll call the bluff and say he's holding an 8 high with the pve only crowd holding a full house Aces over Jacks.

He can make the most interesting and compelling progression, crafting, and rp system in the entire genre.  If it has non-consentual pvp then I'm not playing it.  I don't mind pvp, but I don't want to do that.  If I wanted to do that I would be playing EVE or a private Lineage server. 

If this game did have full on pvp then I would think he might be going for the casual battleground / instanced style of pvp players.  I have a feeling a lot of *PVE* people play battleground pvp because they can't get ganked.  The sportslike nature of BGs is really safe and predictable.

So, going with the pvp premise I say Georg would be trying to hook the casual pvper with engaing pve systems set in a pvp environment that severely punishes the gankers.  Since they can handle the concept of pvp without flipping out (unlike the pvp only crowd who will reject this game like the plague), they can handle the occasional PKer without feeling like gankers are around every corner.

It will be interesting to where this goes.  If true it would infer their market research showing more casual pve-pvp players than are given credit for.  I will want to see how this pans out.

Fixed that line for ya. The rest of us prefer the risk/reward vs. the free punch and pie.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, the OP is just confirming what any sensible person who has played EQ already knows, of course their will be PVP. Unlike what the OP has been spouting on for months, EQN is not built from the ground up on PVP, from all the information so far it's a PVE game that will have some sort of PVP system.

The PVP crowd know as much as they did before the show and now realize that EQN is not going to be darkfall in norrath.

1-0 to the PVErs.

123 - 0 to the carebears you mean.

well if PvAll is not at the core design level and NPC and players are not equal, this is simply not going to be a sandbox MMO, sorry

Every "PvPer" is a PvEer too, the terminology of "PvE vs. PvP" is highly misleading and nothing but agenda.

It´s PvAll realism vs. PvE-only immersion breaking mode with some meaningless PvP option tacked on.

We´ll see, probably they are taking the carebear friendly route like the other 123 casual MMOs. Good luck with sharing their audience with the massive number of similiar titles.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by FoeHammerJT

I chatted to a guy at SOE live last night who asked about this. They said the plots will be in the real world, not instanced, and if the area gets filled up they will just generate a new landmass for more. There will be areas in EQNext itself where you cant build so its not too cluttered like UO. The land itself so far is bigger than both EQ1 and EQ2 combined.

As for PVP they said a few things of interest: First, when asked about balancing between PVE and PVP they replied that they were building the mobs in the exact same way they build the players, so they dont have those seperate balancing issues.

Then when asked about the destructability he said imagine if a group of players in PVP are attacking your castle, and launch a boulder at it, you dont see a damage bar like in other games, you physically see the damage being done and can judge how much is done based on that. That implies they have WvW at least planned.

Not much, but its encouraging.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    As long as I can be a Dark Elf Arsonist, can sneak into Rivervale, and can burn all the little halflings in their houses I will be happy.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Pipofix

Ganking and teabagging will have dire consequences in the faction system I believe.

Killing someone should be an act that is weighed and killing them for a reason not just because they are there.  I seriously doubt you're going to see any non-consensual PvP.. To do so will chase most of the customers away.. I'm confident that PvP will remain private like GW2 did with WvWvW.. Not open world..

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I have to say after everything ive seen and read, I'm really surprised by these answers and that pvp will even exist.  They made it seem like it would complicate the system they were designing in other interviews.  I agree, he did seem that they have something up their sleeve.  Wouldn't even be surprised if it was like I originally said weeks back where PvP will exist in some form on every server.  In a game where your faction goes up and down based on your choices and they are enforcing player accountability, and where guilds and "rulers" of territories could condone or legitimize PvP combat (without necessarily affecting your overall reputation), theres huge opportunities for the introduction of complex pvp systems in EQ Next.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

1-0 to the PVErs.

Actually SOE doesn't seem too worried about what the pve crowd thinks or wants. They weren't to worried about killing off the trinity, they didn't include high end raiding, put in action combat and there is no vertical progression/levels. Which has cause many fits of whining and crying here since Friday.

They are making the game the way they think it should be.

There will be a time and place to reveal the integrated pvp but this is not the time or place and I'm ok with that.

edit - I seriously doubt it will be full loot and I and most pvpers don't care about that. Most of us don't even give a shit about ffa either.

Most of us just want a good faction based system with territory control and meaning.

• technineztechninez Member Posts: 77

this brings me hope i am now interested.