Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting is better then SWG

velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224

A post on the EQN Reddit page states that Darrin (lead game designer) has said that the crafting will be Similar and better then SWG system. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1jm875/talked_to_darrin_lead_game_design_at_the_pool/

This sounds awesome, can't wait to learn more about it.

Comments

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by velmax

A post on the EQN Reddit page states that Darrin (lead game designer) has said that the crafting will be Similar and better then SWG system. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1jm875/talked_to_darrin_lead_game_design_at_the_pool/

Do you want us all to start laughing now, or give you a few moments to prepare?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by loopback1199

This ^^.

Not only should no one believe it until they see it, I won't believe it until I see the rest of the game mechanics either, because "good crafting" can not exist in a vacuum.

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224

U clearly haven't played SWG. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Not even gonna.....

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    If this game has crafting/housing any where close to SWG you can sign me on. Lame graphics and all.
  • TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

The word used was "compared to SWG" not "similar."  SWG had a great crafting community.  On each server, well-known crafters rose and gained popularity.  They were very successful and stood out.  

So let's not start freaking out.  That write up on Reddit should calm a LOT of people down.  The talk of gear, etc.

• aeremusaeremus Member Posts: 16
    no way it will be comparable to SWG after the little info we know and they may think its better to them and the devs for swtor said their crafting was great to lol and its the worst I have ever played
  • NavinJohnsonNavinJohnson Member Posts: 60

Personally, I'm not even remotely concerned about the crafting elements of this game.

SOE brought Domino back to manage this part, and she is by far, one of the best and most responsive dev's EQ2 ever had.

Crafting will be just fine :)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by TaoMcDohl

The word used was "compared to SWG" not "similar."  SWG had a great crafting community.  On each server, well-known crafters rose and gained popularity.  They were very successful and stood out.  

So let's not start freaking out.  That write up on Reddit should calm a LOT of people down.  The talk of gear, etc.

Well, until yesterday I would just have had a condescending chuckle if any EQN dev dared to claim that their crafting could be "equal to SWG" let alone "better".

But after seeing the initial reveal of the game, I'm really not so sure of my "facts" anymore.

Could it actually be possible ? I dare not hope... image

I will believe it when they reveal it I really hope so as all the other mmo's out now for the most part except a few old very old ones suck when it comes to crafting on a level compared with SWG anything close to that and player housing like SWG and the can put me down for a collectors edition, lifetime sub, first born son whatever they need.
  • Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73

U clearly haven't played SWG. 

Maybe they have and are laughing because they don't think it is true until they see it for themselves.

• comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123
    It would be cool if this game had the same resource gathering, own your own store, crafting like SWG
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Forced to agree with Loopback1199^ on this one, don't believe a word of it until you are actually using it and then expect it to change when the forum whiners start crying that it is too hard for them.  True story.

If it comes to fruition then great! I hope it does, but I am in no way expecting anything said today about this game to hold water in 2 YEARS when it releases.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.

They said the crafting advancement has some similarities to class advancement, i.e. you will potentially be mixing stuff up and you may need extensive concentration in various areas to advance further in other areas.

They mentioned the resources people can find and that the resource used affects what the weapon does. It's not a long stretch to differentiate the qualities of various components from here.

World building is part of the crafting process; guild cities were already mentioned. You can bet there will be tables to make.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

Originally posted by comicguy
    It would be cool if this game had the same resource gathering, own your own store, crafting like SWG

What I wouldn't give for this I would pay $100 collectors edition np, $30 monthly sub np

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by aeremus

What I wouldn't give for this I would pay $100 collectors edition np, $30 monthly sub np

Without getting my hopes up, me too.  But I have to see some proof before I start throwing that cash out there.  

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by bronick

Personally, I'm not even remotely concerned about the crafting elements of this game.

SOE brought Domino back to manage this part, and she is by far, one of the best and most responsive dev's EQ2 ever had.

Q F E

I am not worried about the crafting, because I know (we all know) that Domino won't let us down. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    I haven't returned to a SOE game since SWG, I just registered for this beta and checked in on my old subscriptions. Been a long time since I've paid them anything. Now as to crafting being better, I'll have to wait for that ha. Getting close to on par would be nice. If it was actually compared as stated "Crafting was compared to SWG, but better", are there any details on that?
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

yeah,they also said EQ fans wouldnt be disappointed..

I'd take what they say with not even a grain of salt at this point.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Heavy focus on player crafting in a game that sells currency? They'd better overcome the same issue GW2 has with crafting. It's just easier, cheaper and quicker  to get gold and buy what you want than to craft it. I don't care how well done or extensive the crafting is, if it's undermined by the cash shop driven economy, it's all pointless.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Lol I always loved the '...just fine' meme.

'Stop complaining. The Titanic is fine'.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by aeremus

Me Too also

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4

Q F E

I am not worried about the crafting, because I know (we all know) that Domino won't let us down. 

Brilliant. Very, very funny. Let me do one:

'I am not worried about the game because I know (we all know) that Smedley is a titanic genius of integrity who...." Ha ha haha ah. Sorry, I corpsed. Let me do over.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm stoked to try this game, but as an SWG vet....

You can't have SWG crafting, or better, without SWG's complex stat-based resource system.  And by "system", I mean the whole thing, including the dynamic resource spawns with varying quality stats.

SWG's crafting wasn't just about the act of putting things together in a crafting interface.  It was an entire line of gameplay that many people did FULL TIME.  I was one of those people who had a dedicated crafter toon in addition to my dedicated combat toon.  One of the things you had to manage as a crafter, included not only your own mining gear, but also relationships with other resource gathers and resellers.

I'll be glad to see that the EQN crafting system may be much more interesting than the crappy tacked-on crafting in today's mainstream themeparks, but to claim it will be "better than SWG" has all the makings of pure hyperbole. If you never played SWG, I'll just put it this way:  SWG's crafting and resource system touched all aspects of gameplay, and it was much bigger and more complex than most entire MMOs that exist today.

The best crafters on SWG servers were known by name and sought after for having the best stuff in their category of crafting.  They did this by having the best resources and crafting machines, and maintaining the right relationships.

You see, kids, this is why people like me have a hard time with today's theme park games.  Games like SWG and some others were deep and rich and full of systems that encouraged cooperation and relationships with other players.  I could write about this one aspect of SWG for a week.

Side Note:  my combat toon, for about a year, spent half his time tracking, hunting and gathering high-quality (if available) crafting resources.  I made a fortune selling things like good quality hides, meats, bones, milk, eggs, and enhancement drops to other crafters, and I had a blast hunting down the creatures while doing other things.  I loved going out and using my Ranger skills to track and hunt rare elite mobs for their drops.  I would get on the forums for my server, and take contracts from various crafters.  I had a blast making relationships with other players, as well as keeping detailed notes about where the good resources were at any given time.  Even jusy *gathering* resources was a gameplay path.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

By better he means you can buy the items and materials you needed in the cash shop!

Running out of "____" ? Come buy it from the cash shop!