Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I happen to love the graphics I saw

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by tkreep

delusional hate and fanboyism?  how so?

Ive already said Im not a fan of EQ2..

With only a few screenshots to choose from EQ Next how do you how the rest of the games armor and races will look like.  Just like how I think that mouse race with the wings attached to it looks stupid as much you think that Kerra looks stupid, but the other races and armor on them look better than that mouse.

Oh and dont post screenshots blurry and with a plain white background expecting to not seem biased.

probably because it obvious thats the style they went with?  Do you honestly think they are going to have that Kerran running around in the game looking like that,while having some awesome looking elf,with less cartoony over the top looks running along side him?

as for the picture comparison,please provide me with a better one to choose from and I'll us

e it.You can watch the demo videos and see thats exactly how he looks.

There's no masking going on here..

Option #1 please.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Same! Nitpick more, nerds. 
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    This is what happens when you get a girl to design art for a serious game
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Waterlily

The graphics are fine for a Disney themed game, or cartoonish game, whatever you want to call it. I don't even mind playing those games.

But when you use the Everquest name, people expect you to honor the franchise.

Would you be ok if the third series in the Lord of the Rings was suddenly a cartoon? No you wouldn't, just like people who supported the franchise are disillusioned that it looks nothing like the franchise.

That's actually one of my favorite movies...

That was my point

I like that movie too,the Peter Jackson Movies are better though.

The point is people in 1977 wasnt complaining about the movie looking like disney movie and didnt take it as a dishonor to the franchise.  People actually appreciated stylized art back than and wasnt shallow like todays market.

See, I preferred this art style in the late 70's over the animated hobbit.

And it was a better move too.

Necron 99 ftw

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

The graphics are fine for a Disney themed game, or cartoonish game, whatever you want to call it. I don't even mind playing those games.

Would you be ok if the third series in the Lord of the Rings was suddenly a cartoon? No you wouldn't, just like people who supported the franchise are disillusioned that it looks nothing like the franchise.

Are you joking? EverQuest 1: Crappy graphics but great gameplay. EverQuest 2: They tried to go for the "realistic" look and it is painful to the eye and hasn't aged well at all. I think I'll take the Disney graphics as it's a step up from the previous two games.

EQ had great graphics for its time

EQ2 isnt the be all end all of realistic graphics.Their particular iteration sucked,as opposed to VG or AOC.

I'll take this...

Any day over this...

...and I happen to HATE EQ2...    ^^ That,looks awful.

Sorry but the detail and voxel count in his hammer alone is probably more than one of those model. Just look at the depth and detail in his armor and features....good lord.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    There's nothing new here..Minecraft meets Dragon's Lair from 1983 with an AI script created in Second Life that will probably be the most innovative thing this game sees.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Are you joking? EverQuest 1: Crappy graphics but great gameplay. EverQuest 2: They tried to go for the "realistic" look and it is painful to the eye and hasn't aged well at all. I think I'll take the Disney graphics as it's a step up from the previous two games.

EQ2 isnt the be all end all of realistic graphics.Their particular iteration sucked,as opposed to VG or AOC.

I'll take this...

Any day over this...

Sorry but the detail and voxel count in his hammer alone is probably more than one of those model. Just look at the depth and detail in his armor and features....good lord.

can have all the voxels he wants,doesnt make him look good.

Originally posted by Ramonski7

I'll take this...

Any day over this...

sorry but I see no depth..I see windows paint pixelated shadows over flat textures. I see no reflective lighting. the list goes on..If you want to play a cartoon..play it.

Originally posted by Grailer

I know right, they should of kept the same guy that did EQ/EQ2....oh wait.

I'm feeling more and more like I played some weird mutated version of EQ with all the haters and what they expected.

Since when is EQ or any mmorpg for that matter, a "serious" game? Those skeletons that giggled sure made me feel like I was in a serious world...or the countless other sparkly silly looking things in EQ/EQ2.

Expecting a game version of Gladiator or Brave Heart is where many are falling on their faces.

Originally posted by Allein

With only a few screenshots to choose from EQ Next how do you how the rest of the games armor and races will look like.  Just like how I think that mouse race with the wings attached to it looks stupid as much you think that Kerra looks stupid, but the other races and armor on them look better than that mouse.

Oh and dont post screenshots blurry and with a plain white background expecting to not seem biased.

probably because it obvious thats the style they went with?  Do you honestly think they are going to have that Kerran running around in the game looking like that,while having some awesome looking elf,with less cartoony over the top looks running along side him?

as for the picture comparison,please provide me with a better one to choose from and I'll us

Option #1 please.

youre comapring illustration with in game graphics..

even so,I'll take option 2...thanks

chances are it'll turn out looking better.

Also,im fairly sure thats EQ 1

I'm feeling more and more like I played some weird mutated version of EQ with all the haters and what they expected.

Since when is EQ or any mmorpg for that matter, a "serious" game? Those skeletons that giggled sure made me feel like I was in a serious world...or the countless other sparkly silly looking things in EQ/EQ2.

Expecting a game version of Gladiator or Brave Heart is where many are falling on their faces.

nothing in EQ or EQ2 looks anywhere near as silly as EQN..

Option #1 please.

So far their concepts look pretty dang close to what is in game. I like both options, but am digging the new look quite a bit. The lion is a bit much, but I thought the kitty people were always a bit silly looking to begin with.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I really don't know what the problem is. Why do people want ridiculously next-gen graphics in every new MMO. I actually think the graphics are beautiful. It looks like it came straight of Tangled (a Disney movie) and I really don't see a problem with that. People have been wanting a massive sandbox game for years and here we are finally getting one and people are only focused on... the graphics. The thing is they may not have been able to make a fully destructible environment if they were to make it overly realistic. I don't think people realize the amount of stress that would put on servers or the lag... 

I'd prefer a beautiful looking Disney MMO any day then an uber realistic looking MMO that doesn't have the features that EverQuest Next is touting.

Can you point me to anyone that has said that?

Since when is EQ or any mmorpg for that matter, a "serious" g

ame? Those skeletons that giggled sure made me feel like I was in a serious world...or the countless other sparkly silly looking things in EQ/EQ2.

I can't believe the gritty, dark, realism in this pic. I feel like I'm almost in a real life movie! If you can't see this art being made into a Saturday morning cartoon, well there isn't any reason to discuss it further. 

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98

One thing I know for sure, is that no matter how bad the graphics are, once you are immersed in the game for a few weeks, the graphic quality seems to fade, and your brain adapts and gets used to them. Even the worst graphics look pretty good after you have been staring at them for hours each day for weeks.

I have the hardest time getting past the huge, clunky, cartoony crap however; It's just too in your face clunky and fat. Would rather have old school pixelated crap than be forced to look at a cartoon lion wearing 500 lbs  shoulder pads and a 20 foot weapon...

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

ame? Those skeletons that giggled sure made me feel like I was in a serious world...or the countless other sparkly silly looking things in EQ/EQ2.

I can't believe the gritty, dark, realism in this pic. I feel like I'm almost in a real life movie! If you can't see this art being made into a Saturday morning cartoon, well there isn't any reason to discuss it further. 

/win

I guess we just wait. That  screenshot was literally the first of its kind..They practically set the standard back in those days. Ive watched countless Youtube videos of  different graphic engines development and evolution through the last three decades all in relation to Benchmark games being released. EQ...NEXT!...is definitely named appropriately.

good for you,you pulled up a game with a graphics engine that was made before 1999...

/lose.

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Reticulata

One thing I know for sure, is that no matter how bad the graphics are, once you are immersed in the game for a few weeks, the graphic quality seems to fade, and your brain adapts and gets used to them. Even the worst graphics look pretty good after you have been staring at them for hours each day for weeks.

I have the hardest time getting past the huge, clunky, cartoony crap however; It's just too in your face clunky and fat. Would rather have old school pixelated crap than be forced to look at a cartoon lion wearing 500 lbs over shoulder pads and a 20 foot weapon...

But this is a fantasy game. Where lions wearing 500lbs shoulder pads is possible. And my lion can hold a spear bigger/heavier than him. Because it's a fantasy world. That isn't real. Remember? If I wanted real, with life-like graphics, I'd play DF:UW. But I don't want an escape to another world that is just as frustrating and plain as the real one I live in. I want an escape to an awesome, awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping, world, in which I can play as a lion with gigantic shoulder pads and a giant spear and feel totally bad ass.

And it looks like SOE is doing just that. Creating a second world that amazes you. If you can't get past the cartoon character models, well hey you could  just  be missing out on what I'm hoping this game is going to be.

Option #1 please.

So far their concepts look pretty dang close to what is in game. I like both options, but am digging the new look quite a bit. The lion is a bit much, but I thought the kitty people were always a bit silly looking to begin with.

show me those two concept art renderings in game form,then we'll talk

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    I liked the environment, I kinda like the female character.  I did not like the Kerra or the WoW armor!  That shit needs to get changed like last month.  IMO

good for you,you pulled up a game with a graphics engine that was made in 1999...

/lose.

Huh? 

"nothing in EQ or EQ2 looks anywhere near as silly as EQN.."

You said it, not me. Regardless of when EQ was made, it is what it is. If you and others can't see the connection between EQ and EQN, I'm sorry.

Many are going on and on how this isn't EQ, I disagree and that's how opinions go. Luckily my opinion is rewarded with EQN.

Reality is, this is what we have. Take it or leave it. No amount of complaining is going to change it drastically into TESO, Black Desert or whatever other style some were expecting that made no sense to begin with, especially after all that was presented for the last few years.

Can you point to anything before Aug 2nd 12pm that lead you or others to think EQN would look/feel differently? 

• reichtreicht Member Posts: 41

Sexism, because hell why not?   Stupidity.

Option #1 please.

show me those two concept art renderings in game form,then we'll talk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VglZ8xIik84&feature=player_embedded

While she is a high elf, shouldn't be too hard to imagine a wood or dark elf. No the EQN dark elf isn't going to give children nightmares, but it should look a bit more menacing and evil.

Can you point to anything before Aug 2nd 12pm that lead you or others to think EQN would look/feel differently? 

yes!!! Lord I wish I could find it..but there were realistic pictures released some 3 months ago?..maybe longer?..that showed "realistic" looking char faces.Ill find the picture I saved to my HD and upload it.