Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Jeremy Soule? Why?!

JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75

Haha. Okay, so maybe I'm making a huge deal out of this. I guess since I've always been a big fan of The Elder Scrolls part of my memory with that game series is the music. I did hear that Jeremy Soule was doing the main theme to TESO but he wasn't composing the entire soundtrack.

As some of you know EverQuest Next debuts today at SOE Live and yesterday Jeremy Soule came out on stage saying he was going to compose the entire soundtrack for their next big MMORPG. I got so excited and then went......"wait a minute".

Comments

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    SOE offered him a bigger paycheck. Ah well, a little variation in musician for TES won't hurt . . . I hope.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• AmurohAmuroh Member UncommonPosts: 1

I had the exact same reaction as you, hahaha.

Given the greater focus on immersion in ESO I would have much preferred to hear Jeremy Soule's work in ESO. It has been probably the number one reason I've loved Elder Scrolls more than other open world RPGs.

Hopefully EQ Next will surprise me though.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

Jeremy Soule made a mistake.  I think he's going to regret the move.  After seeing EQ Next, and its cartoon look to it,  I can't see many disney fans getting into his music over there, in fact they might even throw tomatos at him over there.

Here ESO has made a game with cutting edge looks, not cartoony, but a real breathing living world we can emerse and lose ourselfs inside to such a degree we might not be able to tell the differance between our real world and game world.  And thats what I call a  true fantasy RPG.

There is alot of celtic singers and musicians out there that ESO should hire on, jeremy makes beuatiful music but he's not the only one, just take a look at "The Voice" that Age of Conan got for thiers, that also was true beautiful music, so one musician jumping ship wont stop the type of music we so come to love for rpg games.

Jeremy Soule has gone to EQ, and I have gone from EQ to ESO.  Ironic in a way.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Zenimax, quick, get Matt Uelmen!!! :)
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Nikopol
    +1

Uelmen > Soule

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Since GuildWars 2 his soundtracks kinda sound always the same. I'm really fed up with listening to big orchestra hits while I try to enjoy the ingame atmosphere. Frankly, some TES soundtracks are really cool. But I wouldn't listen to them 6 hours while playing!

I'd really love to see some more ambient-orientation. When I'm in a swamp I expect some creepy, mysterious and dark atmosphere instead of a repeating and loud soundtrack which draws the whole attention. At least that was my impression since Neverwinter Nights 1 if it comes to Jeremy Soule soundtracks.

Frankly, some soundtracks of him are really cool. But most of them are the Main Themes which I listen to while starting the game.

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46
    Well, he is doing some work on ESO, just not all of it.  Like others have mentioned, there are a lot of talented composers and musicians out there.  I wouldn't worry :)
  • sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

How is more Soule a bad thing?

The more stuff this makes the better

• neroistneroist Member Posts: 24

Jeremy Soule is very diverse. Just listen to the Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale tracks.  I think he is really great at nailing a defferent style to fit the game. 

This is a link to the Shining Serpent song from Neverwinter nights composed by Jeremy Soule and quite different than TES but still fantasy.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Rophez
    Well, he is doing some work on ESO, just not all of it.  Like others have mentioned, there are a lot of talented composers and musicians out there.  I wouldn't worry :)

Actually Soul worked on most great MMOs.  I think he will be working on both TESO as EQN.   But then TESO will have more composers working on it and have a more diverse feeling

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Rophez

Actually Soul worked on most great MMOs.  I think he will be working on both TESO as EQN.   But then TESO will have more composers working on it and have a more diverse feeling

How is that not exactly what I said?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Maybe he wants to do something different?

Granted, it's his job to write music  but he's also a creator. Looking at different art renderings, different story, a different setting might be of interest to him.

It's not like he is begging for work.

So it's very possible that, besides money, he is intrigued by a different project.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    sorry but they should get Knut Haugenson from Age of Conan, eats JS  for breakfast in every way
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    It's already been confirmed by ZOS that Jeremy Soule did the theme song for the Elder Scrolls Online.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I haven't really been impressed by any of his work since GW1.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I haven't heard anything saying Jeremy Soule will NOT be involved with ESO.

As others stated we already know he composed 1 track for ESO.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by evilastro

I sort of agree although I did enjoy his Oblivion soundtrack

But I was a bit disappointed in his work with GW2, almost felt like he was going through the motions there.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    All his music sounds very similar to me.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by djazzy
    Originally posted by evilastro

I sort of agree although I did enjoy his Oblivion soundtrack

But I was a bit disappointed in his work with GW2, almost felt like he was going through the motions there.

Really? This is probably the best piece he has composed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1d0VXOnE9A

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Nikopol

+1

Uelmen > Soule

Although I respect Uelmen and I'm a big fan of his work too. His track record is nowhere near as impressive as Soule's. Just look at all the titles Soule's has composed for and he delivers everytime. He has created so many iconic tunes, he's a legend amongst men when it comes to videogame composing.

I'm sad to hear that Soule isn't working on TES full-time. However, I didn't catch the news of him working on EQN though which is for me personally good news.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Soule jumped ship to EQN as he feels it is a real cutting edge game, and he likes to work on projects that push the boundaries within their game sub-genre, (going by his comments on an interview from Aug). ESO may turn out to be really immersive and have some nice pvp, but though it's IP means it will sell very well, it won't exactly set the world on fire, EQN is a game changer.

Here's the interview.

He really seems to get the limitations of mmos (even the term), and that a social virtual world is what is needed, not the same old thing, even it's a great game, ESO is not what the genre needs to become, for that we need to look to indie and kickstarter projects like TUG, Pathfinder, Divergence, SotA and now a AAA innovator with EQN. But who cares, coz, yunno, !Disney! and stuff, right?