Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO." - per Terry Michaels

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Wushu might survive another...

more info tomorrow though!!! image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by velmax
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

They should have said they were making a children's MMO right off the bat.

not surprising at all.

Look at the combat skills - facerolling AE into enemies, there is no pulling and splitting mob mechanic in EQN (like classic EQ1). dodge out of red circles and AE spam the mobs.

EQN will not be a hard game like eq1 - it will be easy mode.

Granted this could change but from the looks of AE skills, I expect EZ mode game.

How do u know? Have u played the game? They clearly haven't revealed everything of the game yet.

Also people don't seem to understand how demo's like this work they were demonstrating the tech and so make things easy because they don't need to characters dying and pausing the demo.Not to mention that a lot of the mobs clearly had no AI and were just fodder.Judging the difficulty of the final game from what was shown is an exercise in foolishness.

Now the game may turn out to be everything you and I fear but you can't tell from what was shown.

Imagine any character in classic EQ1 having that whirlwind attack - yeah breaking mez, and getting 20 adds to wipe your group.

AE attacks like that scream of action combat EZ gameplay to me. Yes pure speculation on my part, but I am pretty sure EQN will not be a very hard game.

um using AoE effectively in groups is old hat.This demo was just showing off some select abilities from 2 classes in the game in an area designed to be easy to showcase them in.I/m not saying you may not be right just you can take none of that away from watching this focused demo.Your certainly free to speculate though just as long as you are prepared to be wrong which you should always be when speculating on anything.

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70
    To put it in Smed terms...it's not Metal....it's more like bubble-gum Pop
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by buckeye
    To put it in Smed terms...it's not Metal....it's more like bubble-gum Pop

lol

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

not surprising at all.

Look at the combat skills - facerolling AE into enemies, there is no pulling and splitting mob mechanic in EQN (like classic EQ1). dodge out of red circles and AE spam the mobs.

EQN will not be a hard game like eq1 - it will be easy mode.

Granted this could change but from the looks of AE skills, I expect EZ mode game.

You say that like you're surprised.

The people that still want a hardcore game in this day and age will have to rest there hopes and dreams on small crowdfunded indie dev teams, because the big budget studios are making games that they think will be the most profitable.

Joined - July 2004

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344
    It's going to be on the PS4, so we already knew it can't be hardcore. Console and hardcore mmo don't even belong in the same sentence.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Of course it won't be hardcore. Hardcore implies Darkfall or EVE or something. I don't want that, either.

Originally posted by Fratman
    It's going to be on the PS4, so we already knew it can't be hardcore. Console and hardcore mmo don't even belong in the same sentence.

Have you played any of the Souls games?

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

Originally posted by NagelRitter

Of course it won't be hardcore. Hardcore implies Darkfall or EVE or something. I don't want that, either.

Are they mmos? No, I haven't.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

They are not MMOS but they are more hardcore than any MMO out there difficulty wise and very popular.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Biskop

Yeah, shame on SOE for wanting a commercially viable product! After all, they do have a responsibility to provide "hardcore" nolifers with the game of their dreams.

You know, a game can be "hardcore" (meaning complex, difficult, and rewarding time investment) and yet accesible. For example, the core game mechanics and basic features can be simple and intuitive while high-end content is hard and demanding. A player can then chose which level of difficulty he/she wants to engage.

But I guess some people still think "hardcore" = long grind + harsh death penalties + tedious mechanics that anyone with a life and a job will shun, and if a game does not abide by those 1999 design standards it is to be considered a kid's game and a WoW clone.

Agreed with you mate.

The hardcore players I'm reading here seem to want a sugar daddy to pony up 50-100 million dollars to make a beautiful game that only they and a few thousand of their hardcore buddies can play.

It is false to conflate 'hardcore' with difficulty...which the hardcore crowd loves to do. One can make a difficult, challenging game that is also accessible and dare I say casual friendly. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

They are not MMOS but they are more hardcore than any MMO out there difficulty wise and very popular.

I have...and I love them..

Now someone steer away from this childish wussy garbage and make one an MMO.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

The souls are really more of an MO-RPG...

and its not really hardcore but its a good start.

Originally posted by Drakephire

Yeah, shame on SOE for wanting a commercially viable product! After all, they do have a responsibility to provide "hardcore" nolifers with the game of their dreams.

You know, a game can be "hardcore" (meaning complex, difficult, and rewarding time investment) and yet accesible. For example, the core game mechanics and basic features can be simple and intuitive while high-end content is hard and demanding. A player can then chose which level of difficulty he/she wants to engage.

But I guess some people still think "hardcore" = long grind + harsh death penalties + tedious mechanics that anyone with a life and a job will shun, and if a game does not abide by those 1999 design standards it is to be considered a kid's game and a WoW clone.

Agreed with you mate.

The hardcore players I'm reading here seem to want a sugar daddy to pony up 50-100 million dollars to make a beautiful game that only they and a few thousand of their hardcore buddies can play.

It is false to conflate 'hardcore' with difficulty...which the hardcore crowd loves to do. One can make a difficult, challenging game that is also accessible and dare I say casual friendly. 

can you provide proof on those numbers?

I'm just trying to deal with the strange idea that all action console games are easy (there are very few console MMO's out there so that point is rather moot anyway) and that you can't make a challenging game with action combat (didn't everyone whine about GW2 for forever and it got nerfed?). It's some stupid idea that comes from elitism. Bash the game all you want, but use arguments that make any shred of sense and are not pure ignorance. If you think Souls games are easy I want to see your Platinum trophy.

Originally posted by Drakephire

Agreed with you mate.

Indeed. My impression with EQN is when they say it's not hardcore, they mean it won't be a long grind forever and ever, and it probably won't be FFA PvP is what I would guess.

They didn't really choose the best combat elements to demonstrate the game's difficulty, but it doesn't mean it won't exist. Tbh, it looked like too early to tell with those rats standing still, does the game even have AI yet?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

lol, I've said this from the beginning; they want/need to cater to as large a group as possible. For some reason players made up their own little story.

Oh, I'm sure there is going to be a lot to this game but some players like to hone in on specific words that these devs say and then imbut them with their own definitions/meaning.

Just wait until the pvp info starts rolling in.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Fascinating. But I specifically said hardcore mmos and consoles don't go together.

• diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36
    1. The reason for creating a MMORPG is profit and not kittens and rainbows.
    2. SOE presented a flashy tech demo with no real AI. No where was it mentioned that the NPC's will stand still and all be killed with one hit.
    3. Lack of actual confirmed facts is making people jump to their own conclusions. A pointless cycle.

Fascinating. But I specifically said hardcore mmos and consoles don't go together.

And you're an authority on this because...?

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by Margulis

Here is the link to the interview where he says this:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/everquest-nexts-terry-michaels-you-wont-get-snake-skins-coming-from-gnolls-

Ok well I've officially lost all interest in this game. Easiness is the single biggest deal breaker for me. It's my opinion that casualness is what destroyed the MMO genre and any game that doesn't seek to remedy this will not be getting any of my money. I'm not arguing that a game needs to involve huge grinds or tedious activities in order to be good, but if the gameplay itself is not harsh and punishing of mistakes then rewards just feel meaningless. Casual and Hardmode versions of the same content does not remedy this either as it ruins immersion and cheapens the sense of reward for the players that do play the hardmode content. All I want is a AAA mmo for hardcore players but I guess that's too tall of an order.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Sovrath

lol, I've said this from the beginning; they want/need to cater to as large a group as possible. For some reason players made up their own little story.

Oh, I'm sure there is going to be a lot to this game but some players like to hone in on specific words that these devs say and then imbut them with their own definitions/meaning.

Come on Sovrath...

Granted you were right from the start, however the whole "wait until the pvp info comes in" is a cop out.

We both know all PvP looks good on paper .. hence GW2

Or its people who hope that for once,a company will release something truly different and more their style.Then having that hope continuously stomped on because companies keep catering to the population of lemmings introduced by WoW.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

So how many people have actually read the "interview"? Because the title is leaving quite a bit of context.

"Well, risk and reward is what MMOs are all about. I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people but we want to make sure it's balanced with good gameplay and interesting things that will keep people interested." 

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

QFT. 10+. I use to be in a Server First guild back during BC and Early WOTLK. We raided 7 hours a day for nearly 5-6 days. That is what most people define as hardcore. And I cant do it anymore, its not fun to smash your head against something over and over again. God forbid they make a game where someone can come in and play for a couple hours and still feel like they accomplished something. IM extremely looking forward to EQN as it has everything ive been asking for.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by tank017

Or its people who hope that for once,a company will release something truly different and more their style.Then having that hope continuously stomped on because companies keep catering to the population of lemmings introduced by WoW.

What if, I mean this could blow your mind, but imagine if there were other people, that aren't you, that actually want to play EQN as they announced it? I mean its crazy right! Haaa forget it they must be "lemmings".

Originally posted by DSWBeef

QFT. 10+. I use to be in a Server First guild back during BC and Early WOTLK. We raided 7 hours a day for nearly 5-6 days. That is what most people define as hardcore. And I cant do it anymore, its not fun to smash your head against something over and over again. God forbid they make a game where someone can come in and play for a couple hours and still feel like they accomplished something. IM extremely looking forward to EQN as it has everything ive been asking for.

There are plenty of mmos out right now that try and cater to people like you who claim to be so busy they can only play for 1 or 2 hours every few days. You're probably not playing any of them because they all suck.