Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The art style is fantastic!

Comments

• diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    I don't like the art style but then again it's not a problem for me. What really concerns me is action combat and such. For me personally GW2 with it's casualness and action combat is an example of an MMO I don't like. 

I liked the idea of Guild Wars 2 but the actual game didn't do it for me, quit after 2 weeks. The worst part was was no trinity which basically means a no structure free for all.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by diabel
    Originally posted by ZaiDenTsu

the art styke is fantastic for year 2006 or max 2008 but not for 2014 sry :(

Developers if do this kind of graphic and think they will have an AAA mmo they are wrong 

WOW was the only one with this cartoony graphic that have a big success ,but this is an old game ,new AAA mmos should look more real 

List a financially succesful MMORPG with realistic graphics, smooth animation and reactive gameplay.

TSW, LoTRo, AoC. :)

All three of which were forced to go f2p shortly after launch, thats without even bringing up the fact that EQN is voxel based

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

I'm over 30 year old and i think there is a lot of work put into the art style and animations, it's well animated and designed, maybe even at what capcom has done with street fighter IV, their 3D characters where incredibly well animated and followed almost perfectly their 2d handmade animations sprites from previous games, EQN has almost that kind of "finition" in what they shown us as a "tech" demo, at least on the characters shown there, now if they really have the ressources to animate everything like this ( and i kind of doubt it, as it requires a lot of work and time, of course...) i hope they can keep the "homogeneity" of this quality everywhere.

The art style and animations are really well put together, not sure the "comic" style fit 99% of the fantasy genre tho, but at last, the world and characters have "character" and personnality, and i can see it aging well, or not aging at all.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

I don't like the art style but then again it's not a problem for me. What really concerns me is action combat and such. For me personally GW2 with it's casualness and action combat is an example of an MMO I don't like. 

I liked the idea of Guild Wars 2 but the actual game didn't do it for me, quit after 2 weeks. The worst part was was no trinity which basically means a no structure free for all.

?

There has been next to no combat shown, did you even bother to read the articles before posting?
    That's a big no. The combat was shown to DEMO THE DESTRUCTABLE ENVIRINMENT, read before posting

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Developers if do this kind of graphic and think they will have an AAA mmo they are wrong 

WOW was the only one with this cartoony graphic that have a big success ,but this is an old game ,new AAA mmos should look more real 

List a financially succesful MMORPG with realistic graphics, smooth animation and reactive gameplay.

Is it me or was LOTR not realistic looking? Slightly styled? AoC don't think it counts as a successful game or does it? TSW has realistic graphics? I though they were horror/gothic styled?

Originally posted by killahh

? There has been next to no combat shown, did you even bother to read the articles before posting? That's a big no. The combat was shown to DEMO THE DESTRUCTABLE ENVIRINMENT, read before posting

Totally true, I was only refering to Guild Wars 2 combat.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

It's personal opinion of course, but I thought Lotro was decidedly cartoony, AoC extremely clunky in its responsiveness, and TSW clunky and disconcerting on the animation front, especially when it comes to combat.

As for financially successful, I'd agree that lotro was a success, the other two, I don't know, they strike me more as casualties. I don't have access to their financials of course, so it's completely likely that they're rolling in money, it's just that that's not the general impression I personally get.

Not to argue that I don't think a game with realistic graphics could be successful in general, I usually prefer them myself, I'm just a bit dubious about your examples :)

• frizzlepicklefrizzlepickle Member Posts: 72

Seriously, I don't understand all this b*tching and moaning about the art style of the graphics. Personally I think they look beautiful and the detail is amazing. The enviroments fit the fantasy setting perfectly, they are colorful and have a unique atmosphere and feeling to them. This is a RPG it shouldn't have toned down graphics like countless other games out that you can't generate a emotional response to even if you tried really hard.

And people comparing these graphics to WOW is just insulting. Are people so blind that they don't see or maybe they just don't want to see how detailed and smooth the animations are? These are not WOW models, they have a very high polygon count as is visible in all the details. Sure the armor style is inspired but let's be honest with ourselves, most people prefer flashy costumes in RPG games.

I can't stress how great the animation looks and how smooth the character movement and actions are. The facial expressions just amazing. Sure the demo featured over the top special effects to be flashy and put on a show,  I'm hoping that's going to be dialed down a bit.

And yes the game is a sandbox as player actions influence the behaviour and appearance of the world. NPC's and enviroments can be altered by us. Everquest Next Landmarks as a standalone game is also a good solution since let's be honest 99% of player generated content is pure garbage. Personally I don't want to give Bob so much freedom that we see his gigantic toilet made from blocks in Norrath.

My only concern so far is with skills bound to weapons as this broke GW2 for me. I want to play a necromancer with a staff and not be forced to use a dagger and a tome since it offers my favorite spells. They should embrace freedom in play style and appearance.

These are just my opinions, a guy in his late 20's who enjoys MMORGP's too much ;) EQ was my first MMORPG.

Very convincing argument. I didn't like the art style personally, But I think with time I may come to love it.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Going to "cartoonish" route is a smart move by Sony since it doesnt age like "realistic" graphics does.

One thing is to dislike the cartoonish style because of what it is. Another is completely moronic statements about it being "old" or that "WoW alredy did it" or similiarly worthless comments. Do you seriously want to tell me cartoons are "out"? We've had them for over a 100 years and lots of people love the style, be it through comic books or games.

Veteran gamers know to look not at art style primarily but at gameplay. As long as the art style isnt a thorn in the eye its all good as long as the gameplay is fun.

EQN looks promising and a fresh breath that breaks the current stale MMO mold. SOE usualy delivers so I have hope for this game.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by munx4555

All three of which were forced to go f2p shortly after launch, thats without even bringing up the fact that EQN is voxel based

I was answering the statement above me. F2P doesn't mean it is not financially successful! In fact, F2P is probably more successful from the Publishers point of view. The 3 of them have smooth animation and reactive gameplay. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• tehpwnertehpwner Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Phry
    Massive Deal Breaker, really getting tired of some of these over the top cartoony style graphics, though i can imagine its an attempt to gain the attention of the younger gamer, it just looks ridiculous, and with it, they, SOE, lost any remaining credibility. Cannot see how EQN could possibly have gained best of show awards, it just doesnt make sense.image

I actually feel sorry for you if you're willing to give up on the game just because you don't like the art style. I think EQN has the potential to be a really great game, and I can't wait to see more. Also, keep in mind that we've only seen a very small portion of the game, so it might wow you in other areas.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Well i think it looks awful.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

The art style is indeed fantastic but it is a departure for many veteran EQ fans.  Allow them the period of adjustment.  Personally, I would have preferred the Black Dessert art style but I can appreciate and enjoy EQN's art style as well.  It will be an acquired taste for many, but they will eventually come around.  EQN will be epic.  They will not be able to resist.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

The concern for me is that this will be somewhat of a bridge title... One of SOE's most successful games is/was free realms, I am hoping they are not trying to capture that audience and keep the gameplay decently complex at it's core.

The last thing we need is some overly moderated game because the parents of today are so worried about the delicate sensibilities of their precious unique snowflakes.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

The art style is terrible, and that's being nice. If I wanted to live in this kind of world I would go sit in a Toys-R'US store.

I have no idea how anyone will even be fearful in a world that looks like hello kitty online. I am shocked at what they did with the EQ Franchise. It's almost hilarious how incompetence at SoE by specific individuals seems to ruin whole projects every time for the whole team. Seems like a common theme for them.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Wighty

One of SOE's most successful games is/was free realms, I am hoping they are not trying to capture that audience and keep the gameplay decently complex at it's core.

That's likely what they're doing, they're catering the EQ universe to their younger demographic. They have already stated the game will be very accessible and not hardcore.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by Raven
    Massive Deal Breaker, really getting tired of some of these over the top cartoony style graphics, though i can imagine its an attempt to gain the attention of the younger gamer, it just looks ridiculous, and with it, they, SOE, lost any remaining credibility. Cannot see how EQN could possibly have gained best of show awards, it just doesnt make sense.image

Exactly the opposite for me, SOE has finally regained their credibility as a company that can deliver an MMORPG, I guess you win some and you lose some.

RAVEN!!! Please tell me where the character in your sig comes from. I've been asking you for years now!! You're killing me man!

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by dumpcat

In my 40's and I love the way it looks, not sure about this younger gamer claim...

Same here, also 40+. I said it before, I am not sold on the lion-look but I DID like the human female model. And the concept art for the dark elves looks good. I used to play a dark elf SK, so it would be great I could recreate her :)

• baguettebaguette Member Posts: 33

Is it me or was LOTR not realistic looking? Slightly styled? AoC don't think it counts as a successful game or does it? TSW has realistic graphics? I though they were horror/gothic styled?

I agree - 

LoTRO can hardly be called realistic.

LOTRO: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-otlxByChNJk/TdC75K94aqI/AAAAAAAAADs/Ptt3gmeWvbA/s1600/LotRO_BreeLand.jpg

AoC is very very realistic, but bled red for years till it finally went F2P and still can't be called a huge success.

EQ1 and EQ2 were not realistic. I am unsure why realism = everquest in many people's minds, I didn't find it to be realistic in the modeling at all. 

EQ2: http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/Eq2Fin2010/cchumanfemjpg.jpg

TSW is a different genre, not fantasy-based. And again, fairly "cartoony" - the only difference being really is more detail to the eyes and alot more shading. That could very likely be achieved in character creation on EQN - we just don't know at this point if the model we saw was representative or an example.

TSW: http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/attachments/gaming/30598d1340507611-secret-world-first-impressions-untitled-1.jpg

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    I'm 29 in a few weeks :P Overall I think the art style is alright. The lion is the only thing the bugged me as that totally looked like the cheetos mascot guy or a bit lion king.... the human female looked great. I wasn't expecting this much stylized graphics, but I do think it will be good for years to come.
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    I'm 29 in a few weeks :P Overall I think the art style is alright. The lion is the only thing the bugged me as that totally looked like the cheetos mascot guy or a bit lion king.... the human female looked great. I wasn't expecting this much stylized graphics, but I do think it will be good for years to come.

Yes I agreee the features of the lion were a bit much, I think the reason behind that was the ability for facial expression. Hope the rest of the models follow the human female look.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by baguette

I agree - 

LoTRO can hardly be called realistic.

LOTRO: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-otlxByChNJk/TdC75K94aqI/AAAAAAAAADs/Ptt3gmeWvbA/s1600/LotRO_BreeLand.jpg

AoC is very very realistic, but bled red for years till it finally went F2P and still can't be called a huge success.

EQ1 and EQ2 were not realistic. I am unsure why realism = everquest in many people's minds, I didn't find it to be realistic in the modeling at all. 

EQ2: http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/Eq2Fin2010/cchumanfemjpg.jpg

TSW is a different genre, not fantasy-based. And again, fairly "cartoony" - the only difference being really is more detail to the eyes and alot more shading. That could very likely be achieved in character creation on EQN - we just don't know at this point if the model we saw was representative or an example.

TSW: http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/attachments/gaming/30598d1340507611-secret-world-first-impressions-untitled-1.jpg

I think I'm looking at it from a different way. Comparatively, this is realistic , and the Warrior here is not. I think the old timers like myself were looking forward to Everquest with a wonderful face lift and we got something completely different. Not a total loss by any means, but disappointing for now and we will grow into it I guess. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I bet they change their artistic style once Disney finds out that literally every character has been highjacked and copied.Look up Dragon's Lair one of the first avatar games back in 1983. There's not a lot of difference. and that's sad.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I never understood why people play a fantasy game to escape reality, only to try to shoe horn reality back in.
  • frizzlepicklefrizzlepickle Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

Well keep in mind that it would be unlikely for the lion skin to be the only look available for him. You'll probably have tiger, white tiger, cheetah, panthar and all other big cats as an option.

Also, anyone hope that the horns on Dark Elves are optional? Would hate if you HAD to have them personally.