Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The art style is fantastic!

diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36

Seriously, I don't understand all this b*tching and moaning about the art style of the graphics. Personally I think they look beautiful and the detail is amazing. The enviroments fit the fantasy setting perfectly, they are colorful and have a unique atmosphere and feeling to them. This is a RPG it shouldn't have toned down graphics like countless other games out that you can't generate a emotional response to even if you tried really hard.

And people comparing these graphics to WOW is just insulting. Are people so blind that they don't see or maybe they just don't want to see how detailed and smooth the animations are? These are not WOW models, they have a very high polygon count as is visible in all the details. Sure the armor style is inspired but let's be honest with ourselves, most people prefer flashy costumes in RPG games.

I can't stress how great the animation looks and how smooth the character movement and actions are. The facial expressions just amazing. Sure the demo featured over the top special effects to be flashy and put on a show,  I'm hoping that's going to be dialed down a bit.

And yes the game is a sandbox as player actions influence the behaviour and appearance of the world. NPC's and enviroments can be altered by us. Everquest Next Landmarks as a standalone game is also a good solution since let's be honest 99% of player generated content is pure garbage. Personally I don't want to give Bob so much freedom that we see his gigantic toilet made from blocks in Norrath.

My only concern so far is with skills bound to weapons as this broke GW2 for me. I want to play a necromancer with a staff and not be forced to use a dagger and a tome since it offers my favorite spells. They should embrace freedom in play style and appearance.

These are just my opinions, a guy in his late 20's who enjoys MMORGP's too much ;) EQ was my first MMORPG.

Comments

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

I think it looks great as well.

Just need to remember that the people that dislike things are usually the ones talking.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

I am in my late 30's and I love it. I am a big fan of Don Bluth and Tony DiTerlizzi. Google them and you will understand why...

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103
    The art style is fantastic.  I love the oil-painting look, it looks like fantasy.
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I personally like this kind of art style.

Because till date, only this kind of art style can give you good combat animations, eg, yes, WoW, whether you want to compare it or not. And style like Aion, Tera.

However those games that try to be lifelike, have quite bad combat animations, namely , eq2, rift, war, vanguard, lotr etc...

So I'm glad they go with it, and in no way will this kind of art hinder exploration of the world.

RIP Orc Choppa

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by diabel

Seriously, I don't understand all this b*tching and moaning about the art style of the graphics. Personally I think they look beautiful and the detail is amazing. The enviroments fit the fantasy setting perfectly, they are colorful and have a unique atmosphere and feeling to them. This is a RPG it shouldn't have toned down graphics like countless other games out that you can't generate a emotional response to even if you tried really hard.

And people comparing these graphics to WOW is just insulting. Are people so blind that they don't see or maybe they just don't want to see how detailed and smooth the animations are? These are not WOW models, they have a very high polygon count as is visible in all the details. Sure the armor style is inspired but let's be honest with ourselves, most people prefer flashy costumes in RPG games.

I can't stress how great the animation looks and how smooth the character movement and actions are. The facial expressions just amazing. Sure the demo featured over the top special effects to be flashy and put on a show,  I'm hoping that's going to be dialed down a bit.

And yes the game is a sandbox as player actions influence the behaviour and appearance of the world. NPC's and enviroments can be altered by us. Everquest Next Landmarks as a standalone game is also a good solution since let's be honest 99% of player generated content is pure garbage. Personally I don't want to give Bob so much freedom that we see his gigantic toilet made from blocks in Norrath.

My only concern so far is with skills bound to weapons as this broke GW2 for me. I want to play a necromancer with a staff and not be forced to use a dagger and a tome since it offers my favorite spells. They should embrace freedom in play style and appearance.

These are just my opinions, a guy in his late 20's who enjoys MMORGP's too much ;) EQ was my first MMORPG.

I agree . I think the scenery is amazing and I love the art style. Some people are never satisfied.

Farstryder,

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Ill admit I have my personal preffences I would have liked better , but I cant say Im disapointed, infact so far Ive been happy with what ive seen so far.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I think the issue is the fact that many were expecting super realism.

Honestly I am on the fence... I don't hate the graphics, and I completely get why they did it... Not only does it really demonstrate the emote system they innovated but and it may steal a few WOW fans.

On one hand the "artificial stylization" is more immersive in the sense that when graphics are too hyper real, your brain tends to nit pick and creates a sense of disbelief if only subconscious.

EQ2's original models looked almost like cabbage patch kids.

For those that want the "gritty real" look there are games out there already, Age of Conan, The Secret World, and for the sandbox there is Darkfall UW. People just want this game concept to be made in their image... you can't please everyone however based on the industry trend it is clear people prefer that cartoony stylization if you consider the success of WOW.

We'll have to wait and see, they are obviously clear on their vision we just need to accept it and with SOOO many sandboxes coming out there will certainly be something for everyone.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36
    So true that's why I'm glad to see some positive posts.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I have no problem with the art style, either.

The gameplay is by far the most important thing to me.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

EQ1 and Vanguard had the art styling of Keith Parkinson. EQNext they are going with Larry Elmore, one of the only two people that Keith worked alongside with at TSR for Dungeons and Dragons for so many years. Others came and went, but Larry and Keith worked together, a lot. Several things stood out at the reveal, and the name Larry Elmore struck me hardest. Wicked cool baby!

Yea, Dragonlance... Elmore did a ton of work for Dragonlance.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I have to admit, I actually really like the look as well.

Seeing Wildstar had me convinced I disliked cartoony graphics. Ugh, that particular style just didn't do it for me. But EQN graphics and style really reminded me of a well animated Disney film - especially in the facial emotes, rather than the overly goofy cartoony look as in WoW/Wildstar (in my opinion anyway, it could be argued that those massive shoulder pads were goofy, but they seemed to fit).

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

It seems like many have never played or even seen Everquest before. Many that are upset seemed to think EQN would like like TESO or Black Desert.

EQN looks great. To me, it is the best looking stylized game yet. If people can step back for a second and look at the animations, details, and then realize this was just a tech demo (usually demos look like trash) I think they might see it a little different. Another 6+ months and it will probably look even better.

Making the leap from EQ/EQ2 to TESO style just doesn't make sense to me. While I like the style of Black Desert, it seems unrealistic to support a lot of players (no proof yet) and especially not with the world they are creating in EQN.

Compared to Planetside 2 which uses the same engine, I think the EQN models look a lot better. It's easy to have characters covered in shiny metal from head to toe, character faces look pretty bland and "un-alive" compared to EQN.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    I love the art style, it is indeed fantastic! Can't wait to play landmark and the beta for EQN ( fingers crossed ).

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Massive Deal Breaker, really getting tired of some of these over the top cartoony style graphics, though i can imagine its an attempt to gain the attention of the younger gamer, it just looks ridiculous, and with it, they, SOE, lost any remaining credibility. Cannot see how EQN could possibly have gained best of show awards, it just doesnt make sense.image
  • Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109
    While the art style would not have been my first choice, it is definitely not as bad as I was expecting after that first image dropped by the EQN team. I hope they take those big bulky shoulder pads out though because those just look terrible. If they took those out I wouldn't really have any complaints. You can have the stylized character models as long as the armor/weapons models are somewhat realistic.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by Phry
    Massive Deal Breaker, really getting tired of some of these over the top cartoony style graphics, though i can imagine its an attempt to gain the attention of the younger gamer, it just looks ridiculous, and with it, they, SOE, lost any remaining credibility. Cannot see how EQN could possibly have gained best of show awards, it just doesnt make sense.image

I am 37 and I think it was awesome.... your preconceived notions are your issue. Cartoons != childish.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Exactly the opposite for me, SOE has finally regained their credibility as a company that can deliver an MMORPG, I guess you win some and you lose some.

Originally posted by Raven

Exactly the opposite for me, SOE has finally regained their credibility as a company that can deliver an MMORPG, I guess you win some and you lose some.

Same here, after Everquest 2 it got me worried that they'd try something to extreme.

• ZaiDenTsuZaiDenTsu Member Posts: 11

the art styke is fantastic for year 2006 or max 2008 but not for 2014 sry :(

Developers if do this kind of graphic and think they will have an AAA mmo they are wrong 

WOW was the only one with this cartoony graphic that have a big success ,but this is an old game ,new AAA mmos should look more real 

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169
    Loving the art style myself, I will admit I was VERY skeptic when i first saw the kerran, however once i got past the massive kerran shoulderpads, I realised just how good these graphics are, They remind me of a lighter version of bioshock infinites graphics.
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

I agree and I'm sick of game trying to look realistic...it a dam video game and it looks great. Realism gets old as the flaws stand out...actually jump out. The stylized route hides blemishes and adds character.

Originally posted by ZaiDenTsu

Developers if do this kind of graphic and think they will have an AAA mmo they are wrong 

WOW was the only one with this cartoony graphic that have a big success ,but this is an old game ,new AAA mmos should look more real 

List a financially succesful MMORPG with realistic graphics, smooth animation and reactive gameplay.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I don't like the art style but then again it's not a problem for me. What really concerns me is action combat and such. For me personally GW2 with it's casualness and action combat is an example of an MMO I don't like. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by ZaiDenTsu

List a financially succesful MMORPG with realistic graphics, smooth animation and reactive gameplay.

TSW, LoTRo, AoC. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

In my 40's and I love the way it looks, not sure about this younger gamer claim...