Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never been so conflicted...

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by Allein

Guess I'm in the minority on this site as far as liking what I saw.

You're not the only one. People who just hate it re just going to complain and complain and complain. They are not going to change the artstyle, believe me. Beside aging better, voxel world destruction looks less ridiculous when using stylized art...

Also liked what I saw from the game. Its the most innovative game I have seen in the last 10 years. I liked the art style but did not like the happy faced characters that they showed. Would like to have seen darker looking characters.

Exactly what is innovative from EQN?  They merged you traditional MMO with a Minecraft.

Sure it's a different MMO that the normal dredge of MMOs but it's FAR from innovative. 

Name the features that have not already been don before in other sandboxes, indie MMOs, AAA MMOs where SOE just adapted and molded into their game like how Blizzard does with WoW.

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by tank017

I hear ya..

Its like they made this awesome looking hot fudge sundae,holding it in front of you in all its glory,making you salivate.

and then they squatted and took a big fat dump on it.

Im in the same boat as you.

I think you just described SOE's mission statement.

They've been doing it for a decade unfortunately.

LOL!  yeah, I have to agree.  I still memories of the early expansions of EverQuest because I loved it, but everything since has been pretty shit from SOE.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I'm a even longer eq1,and eq2vet.
    Ive done damn near everything in the Eq universe and unlike most of you posters, actually pay for the games via station pass.

Yes the graphics are cartoons but guess what kiddies, it's all cartoon, whether you care to admit it or not.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• SilveruneSilverune Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

So, as a longtime EQ1 vet, and mmorpg lover in general.  I can say that the reveal was both exciting and extremely dissapointing to me.  Many of the ideas, the emergent gameplay mechanics, the vertically divided world, with subterranean levels, etc, are all fantastic ideas.

The art style made me want to fucking punch a god damn wall.  What the fuck is this disney bullshit?  Way to just shit all over your own fucking IP.  Firiona Vie with a bow?  Massive shoulder pads of doom. Fuck. Me.

Outside of that, the game will probably do well, but i actually hope it fails because its the same bullshit stupid "horizontal" progression shit as fucking GW2.

Scaling "raids", lame as fuck.

Items that don't give stats?  Why the fuck do i want to get them then?

I just have a strong feeling this game is going to go the way of GW2, people will play the fuck out of it for a couple months and then log in once a week if that. There is just way too much in this game that is "change for the sake of change"

What he said ^^

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I find cries about a graphic style being so silly. The reason the artstyle is popular since it doesn't look aweful as quickly. Games like Lotro looked older far quicker then WoW ever did. Then again, I'm one that can embrace art style in many variations. I feel more stylish graphics look nicer then the lack luster black on grey color scheme people seem to think for some silly reason looks good. I've seen very few games with a dark tone that pulled it off to actually be graphically impressive rather then hiding away the work with the darker colors.

None the less, I do worry in a way if they do go for the Guildwars 2 style of things. Lets be blunt, Guildwars 2 system is VERY flawed. Its very easy to get bored of the game as it stands. More so, the elements of weapon switching for combat I feel was quite poorly done in Guildwars 2 AND final fantasy 14. IT seems like a terrible system locking into weapon = class, so in thet regard if what you say is true, its lost a massive sway on me for it, not enough to make me ignorant on trying it, but it loses the taste that a vast class system usually leaves me satisfied with.

All I can say, is maybe they will manage to make things interesting. Sure its 'scalling' things, but it could be scaling raids as in making them match the level cap. As far as gear and lack of progression... yeah.... that would hurt my appeal to play the game. Guildwars 2 became massively boring due to that fact, particularly due to its weaker combat system. It would take a rediculously good system in place to actually entertain me enough to play something without 'progression' and even then I'd still likely not play it worth jack.

Either way, I'm still watching this though I will remain very skeptical of it. If they stay loyal to its roots and update it, then add in their own twist to things it could be good, otherwise it could end up falling flat on its face. 

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by killahh
    I'm a even longer eq1,and eq2vet. Ive done damn near everything in the Eq universe and unlike most of you posters, actually pay for the games via station pass. Yes the graphics are cartoons but guess what kiddies, it's all cartoon, whether you care to admit it or not.

But people want Anime cartoons where there is some realism to it and not some "Waskally Wabbit" sort of cartoons.

I actually lover the facial expressions on the human mage but overall the graphics made my stomach churn.

If they deliver on the features they promise and the gameplay is fun then sure graphics are a moot point, but EQN has a lot to prove in my book and this just reeks of GW2 marketing all over again.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Lol, gotta love this MMORPG.COM forum crowd... image

If someone launched a MMO that was unlike anything anyone had ever seen or even imagined, there'd be people here posting: "Yeah, but it's still online and still has masses of players. We've seen all that a 1000 times, where's the actual innovation ?"

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So, as a longtime EQ1 vet, and mmorpg lover in general.  I can say that the reveal was both exciting and extremely dissapointing to me.  Many of the ideas, the emergent gameplay mechanics, the vertically divided world, with subterranean levels, etc, are all fantastic ideas.

The art style made me want to fucking punch a god damn wall.  What the fuck is this disney bullshit?  Way to just shit all over your own fucking IP.  Firiona Vie with a bow?  Massive shoulder pads of doom. Fuck. Me.

Outside of that, the game will probably do well, but i actually hope it fails because its the same bullshit stupid "horizontal" progression shit as fucking GW2.

Scaling "raids", lame as fuck.

I just have a strong feeling this game is going to go the way of GW2, people will play the fuck out of it for a couple months and then log in once a week if that. There is just way too much in this game that is "change for the sake of change"

Felt much the same, although the raids thing didn't bother me too much.  Most else the same.

• zinnikeyszinnikeys Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by mcast1234

Give me Iksar at launch and I'm good.

Here's you Iksar.

Aaaaannnd my coffee is all over my screen now! Holy crap that was funny

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Epicent
    It just seems to me they are late to the party. Arena Net beat them to dynamic events. The destructible environment is alright I suppose but honestly making everything destructible will open the door for alot of trolls. I like the permanent change concept alot though. I dont know what to think about not having any levels in the game. Absolutely can not stand the art direction. Did anyone else notice the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd during the unveiling?  It was like a bad  april fools joke. I hope it succeeds but I'm not terribly excited for it. The art just kills it for me. I just kept asking  myself.........."Is this really the next EQ." Its a shame that they take this legendary IP and  apply disney graphics. In the words of the Angry Video Game Nerd."WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!"

What EQN is proposing no one is doing. GW@ is not a living world it is flat and dull. Also I don't believe they mean classles in the way some think of it(they will talk more about that in a panel today). Second you did not watch the same reveal event because people where very enthusiastic.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by tank017

I hear ya..

Its like they made this awesome looking hot fudge sundae,holding it in front of you in all its glory,making you salivate.

and then they squatted and took a big fat dump on it.

Im in the same boat as you.

I think you just described SOE's mission statement.

They've been doing it for a decade unfortunately.

It's very true :(

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• kingchootykingchooty Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Presbytier
    It just seems to me they are late to the party. Arena Net beat them to dynamic events. The destructible environment is alright I suppose but honestly making everything destructible will open the door for alot of trolls. I like the permanent change concept alot though. I dont know what to think about not having any levels in the game. Absolutely can not stand the art direction. Did anyone else notice the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd during the unveiling?  It was like a bad  april fools joke. I hope it succeeds but I'm not terribly excited for it. The art just kills it for me. I just kept asking  myself.........."Is this really the next EQ." Its a shame that they take this legendary IP and  apply disney graphics. In the words of the Angry Video Game Nerd."WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!"

What EQN is proposing no one is doing. GW@ is not a living world it is flat and dull. Also I don't believe they mean classles in the way some think of it(they will talk more about that in a panel today). Second you did not watch the same reveal event because people where very enthusiastic.

Yes, players were enthusiastic... about the world design and emergent AI. I was laughing at how little reaction there was when they showed the actual player characters, reminded me of when they announced Odus in EQ2 when everyone was expecting Velious.

Also, lets not forget Smokeblowers track record of talking big and utterly failing to deliver. Then again, that seems to be a SOE tradition, anyone remember how they said EQ2 would have bosses that adapted their strategies to counter player strategies? Lets just say that feature is still not in the game.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I hated the look of wow when I first saw it and decided to play eq2 instead.

I ended up playing wow for 4 years and looking at EQ2 now makes me laugh at how bad everything looks. Wow still doesn't look great but it has it's own style that aged much better.

In the end it came down to game play though. Wow was fun to play and EQ2 at launch was a terrible game. The same thing will go for EQN. If it's a good game it wont matter what the graphics look like. It's always going to have those people on forums who wont play it because of how it looks, but most people will just learn to accept it and enjoy the game.

Umm it's all personal preference.  I think EQ2 is still hands down a better looking game then WoW.  My oldest kid was 7 when WoW/EQ2 launched and she pitched a fit cause she just knew WoW was a kids game and wanted to play it.  I played WoW for 2 months after I got an iMac.  The art style made me want to puke and the gameplay was so dumbed down it bored me tears so I quit.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by kingchooty
    Originally posted by Presbytier

Yes, players were enthusiastic... about the world design and emergent AI. I was laughing at how little reaction there was when they showed the actual player characters, reminded me of when they announced Odus in EQ2 when everyone was expecting Velious.

Also, lets not forget Smokeblowers track record of talking big and utterly failing to deliver. Then again, that seems to be a SOE tradition, anyone remember how they said EQ2 would have bosses that adapted their strategies to counter player strategies? Lets just say that feature is still not in the game.

Stop stating facts, and it was laughable at how little applause there was when the characters were revealed.  I guess we both missed the standing O somehow, I mean everyone loved those the most.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by DocBrody

oh come one people, stop the lame "it's aging better" argument for stylized cartoon graphics, SWTOR used the same lame argument and fact is, it just looked cheesy on release, today and will still be cheesy in 10 years.

e.g. Age of Conan isn't "stylized", it's looking great since 2008, got regular engine updates and still looks great today and will in 10 years.

http://youtu.be/KEQRwPuq8Rg

http://youtu.be/00dHRBaX-f0

http://youtu.be/Ok4uZf7bJrY

That's how EQ should look like imho

Yes SWTOR did and does look cheesy.

I am kind of wondering now what is the purpose of continuing to push the envelope on what graphic cards can do if all you are going to draw with them is cartoons?

• KunlunOberaldKunlunOberald Member Posts: 4

Funny! About the Angry Video Game Nerd...

But, yeah, I like the concept of what they're trying to do, too, but it's not like they invented a brand new genre. They're taking ideas from other games and putting it together. EQ was brand new and fresh that never had been done before. Though, the permanent change thing could really be cool.

• KunlunOberaldKunlunOberald Member Posts: 4

Funny! About the video game nerd.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

imageimageimageimageimage

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by DocBrody

You're not the only one. People who just hate it are just going to complain and complain and complain. They are not going to change the artstyle, believe me. Beside aging better, voxel world destruction looks less ridiculous when using stylized art...

oh come one people, stop the lame "it's aging better" argument for stylized cartoon graphics, SWTOR used the same lame argument and fact is, it just looked cheesy on release, today and will still be cheesy in 10 years.

e.g. Age of Conan isn't "stylized", it's looking great since 2008, got regular engine updates and still looks great today and will in 10 years.

http://youtu.be/KEQRwPuq8Rg

http://youtu.be/00dHRBaX-f0

http://youtu.be/Ok4uZf7bJrY

That's how EQ should look like imho

The idea that "stylized cartoon graphics" are better because they age better is pure nonsense and it tends to be perpetuated by those that want that visual style or are just ignorant of the facts regarding graphical features. The reason older games that went the "realistic" route didn't age well was that they just looked horrible to begin with. Everquest 1 and 2 for example, used incredibly low resolution textures that were already being surpassed by other games and they were an eyesore to look at to begin with. Both of them (and many MMOs in the early 2000s) didn't adopt any of the more advanced features coming around in gaming like higher resolution textures, bump mapping, virtual displacement mapping, dynamic shadows, physics and particle effects like those seen in single player games.

So what we got was a kind of PC dark age so to speak with tons of advanced features being created and developers not wanting to implement them into their game engines. So yes, many games from around the year 2000 to about 2007, looked pretty terrible and still do because on a graphical level they WERE terrible. That is not the case anymore with the more recent adaptation of advanced features by every mainstream game engine and it is starting to show with games like Crysis, Battlefield 3, Planetside 2, Age of Conan and The Secret World which are all use more realistic art styles. They look great and will always look great from here on out because they are better at the most fundamental level. This idea that stylistic graphics age better is just plain false and falls completely flat when you compare realistic looking games made in the last 6 years to similar styled games made before that.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I played EQ2 from 2004 to 2011. I am pretty disappointed with new characters... wow... I always thought that EQ genre was for more mature audience... it looks like SoE decided to turn around the clock. Go for a very young audience with character looks... and the combat... pretty darn awful... Oh well.

There are things that I liked, but I will reserve my comments until more is revealed. Things might change yet, and judging from their comments that they are going to listen to players, a lot might change.

I will probably give it a try, the question is how long it will keep me interesting...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

They went from most hardcore PVE game in EQ1 to a faceroll action game with Disney characters.

I can't beliiiieeeve it !!!!!!

LMAO I have to laugh about it, because I thought I might be slightly disappointed, but this is too ridiculous for words

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

You aren't the minority. Far from it.

I predicted the rage of the nostalganistas last week. It comes as no surprise that they are now posting loudly and often.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Drakephire

You aren't the minority. Far from it.

I predicted the rage of the nostalganistas last week. It comes as no surprise that they are now posting loudly and often.

it has nothing to do with nostalgia and everything to do with APPEAL

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

They went from most hardcore PVE game in EQ1 to a faceroll action game with Disney characters.

I can't beliiiieeeve it !!!!!!

LMAO I have to laugh about it, because I thought I might be slightly disappointed, but this is too ridiculous for words

totally  agree..I wont even apply for beta..Not worth my gig space.

• KcebEnyawKcebEnyaw Member Posts: 29
    Honestly, everything they talked about sounds absolutely fantastic to me. But I have to agree with people about the art style. I would really like to play with all these new mechanics they've come up with, but there is little to no chance I can put up with that art style for the amount of time I should be playing an MMO. Cartoony MMOs completely defeat the purpose of creating an entire world. Everything is so blatantly fake that it just pushes you back to reality every time you see something new. The characters do look like something straight out of a modern Disney movie. The facial expressions they demoed look like they pulled them right out of every Disney movie ever made. Everquest was never the most aesthetically hyper realistic series in Fantasy MMOs, but they never crossed that line in to being a Cartoon before. It's a shame that all these fantastic ideas they have come up with will only be realized by someone else in a more realistic styled MMO. They basically handed Activision the formula on a silver platter, though considering WoWs art style is basically the same as EQN, someone else might have a better chance.