Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It really happened did it?

2»

Comments

• FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    They're bound by the limitations of a PS4 controller. You will see a maximum of 8 buttons, I feel fairly certain of this.

In regards to more buttons meaning more difficulty, I vehemently disagree. Most of us are EQ1 vets where we were bound by a maximum of 8 spells. Some of the best games in history were single button platformers.

In regards to mindless zerging, that's yet to be seen. My hope is that the difficulty is high.

Well... how about making a button free on the Ps4 controller that allows people to rotate between their stances... and switch weapons and skills accordingly...

having an 8 button hotbar, does not mean you have to limit the game to 8 skills.  just think out of the box.

All i found is that they said there would be a 8 button hotbar, very PS4 friendly indeed.. that does not mean you cant switch hotbars in real time.

Actually i really like minimalistic interfaces..so an 8 button hot bar is very nice, but only having 8 skills and not being able to change to more skills is a no go for me and the type of depth i prefer in my gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hqbg9_ZJLw

No need to come up with things from scratch. ARR has already done for controllers what WoW did for the keyboard.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

couple of things, i missed a lot of the presentation maybe someone has insight

were they using some kind of free roam camera during the gameplay footage? it seemed a bit odd, almost like it was semi-fixed in the room. maybe done for the sake of the presentation, but i would like to have seen how combat actually looks from a player perspective.

also, i love the idea that mobs will migrate around if they are being massacred. i hope that the game can foillow more paths other than 'the goblins try to get revenge and come after you'. how great would it be if after you commit genocide upon the goblins, a tribe of large, powerful Trolls fill in void, and now you are kinda worse off than before

and the mini cutscene type things that happen here and there, like the camera shift when the bridge gets blown up, and when the players drop into the underground area, idk, something just feels not right.  but the dev team seems to have a lot of good ideas, hopefully they can deliver.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Fourplay
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    They're bound by the limitations of a PS4 controller. You will see a maximum of 8 buttons, I feel fairly certain of this.

In regards to more buttons meaning more difficulty, I vehemently disagree. Most of us are EQ1 vets where we were bound by a maximum of 8 spells. Some of the best games in history were single button platformers.

In regards to mindless zerging, that's yet to be seen. My hope is that the difficulty is high.

Well... how about making a button free on the Ps4 controller that allows people to rotate between their stances... and switch weapons and skills accordingly...

having an 8 button hotbar, does not mean you have to limit the game to 8 skills.  just think out of the box.

All i found is that they said there would be a 8 button hotbar, very PS4 friendly indeed.. that does not mean you cant switch hotbars in real time.

Actually i really like minimalistic interfaces..so an 8 button hot bar is very nice, but only having 8 skills and not being able to change to more skills is a no go for me and the type of depth i prefer in my gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hqbg9_ZJLw

No need to come up with things from scratch. ARR has already done for controllers what WoW did for the keyboard.

Not only Arr did this, many other console games have schemes to let players xhoose dozens of skils right in realmtime

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

I like a lot of what I've seen, but I have big concerns.

first, it's action combat.  It sounds fine at first but my concern is what impact will this have on the community?  Will it be like say GW2/Neverwinter where folks just run around killing and never talk to each other, or will we still have a sense of community?  Games have been turning into MMOSingle Player Games these days.

Second, the art style.  I like the environment but playing a game that is a knock off of WoW kills it for me.  I know it has its advantages but for goodness sake make the Kerra look less Disney for crying out loud.  I read in another thread last night that they made mention of the lack of enthusiasm for the Kerran model and I just hope that SOE had a oh shit moment and make some changes.  It doesn't need to be ultra-realistic but it shouldn't look like WoW2.  

I will follow this game and keep an open mind.  There's still time to put my concerns to rest.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I expect no pvp at this point, whereas prior to the reveal I thought it would play a major role.

The gameplay they intend for EQN is a massive undertaking, and they seem to have tunnel vision in regard to the system as a whole to accommodate it.  I don't think they have a clue how to implement PvP at this point without detracting from their world rallying, cooperative design they are focusing on.  It would only play against it, as much as I love pvp and wanted EQ Next to be more pvp-centric.

Not to say I'm counting out a PvP server, but I can see it really complicating the process of players working together to overcome the greater evil as well as the massive faction and alignment system incorporated into everything.

You are jumping to conclusions...

No word about PvP does not mean that it will not be part of the game...  its just not the core focus.  

I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions without having enough information yet.  We've only gone through one presentation so far, and it was a very shallow intro compared to the pool of content that has yet to be revealed.  Even if the topic they want covered isn't talked about in the next two days, there will be many ways and opportunities in the coming months to fill in the gaps.

The EQ games have always had at least one PvP server.  I wouldn't discount them neglecting that aspect of the community.

What did you expect?Considering the massive illogical conclusions they came up with based on nothing but vague marketing quotes by Smed and Co beforehand what did you think people here would do with a little actual information?Jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people here get in their lives.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Graphics are cartoony, because thats the only way possible to make a timeless game. 

I would highly debate this.

Cartoony graphics may turn off some die hard EQ fans but should cater to SOE's player base that play games like Free Realms.

There are many games still around that have realistic graphics and on a side note cartoon graphics don't insure a wildly successful game.:P

Just my 2 cents, and as always this is just my opinion.:)

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I just hope the game is better than Pirates of the Caribbean. (Disney)
  • KunlunOberaldKunlunOberald Member Posts: 4
    Wii graphics are more realistic than this
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The graphics and communication seem to go hand in hand here. On the artstyle Dave specifically mentioned making certain places on the characters face more exaggerated on purpose, harder to do with realistic graphics. Reason being you can see people's emotions when they speak, or just stand there, distictly and from farther away.

SoEMote will play a huge part in the immersion and connection in EQN. I have no doubt that SoEMote will be on from a proximity standpoint where you can walk by people an see there expressions or "see" them talk.

That handles the communication in action combat and IMO explains the graphics a bit more.