Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Originally posted by QuickShatter

Graphics? you guys are whining about Graphics? when did, how SUPER life like a game looks take priority over how good a gameplays?

Also you guys have to realise that, the art style they chose maybe easyer for lower end computers to play. They aren't just making the game for you guys who have invested a shit ton of money into gaming rig.

Gameplay > Graphics : Seriously graphics? go back to the console games then, they are always pretty.

Have you been living on an alternate Earth since the millennium? Graphics has become king, gameplay is secondary and has been for years. It is a sad fact but if your game does not get at least 7.5 for graphics it is likely doomed. I am not saying there are not exceptions, Minecraft springs to mind. But they are exceptions for a reason.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    That looks a lot better than I thought it would.
  • zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Scot

Graphics? you guys are whining about Graphics? when did, how SUPER life like a game looks take priority over how good a gameplays?

Also you guys have to realise that, the art style they chose maybe easyer for lower end computers to play. They aren't just making the game for you guys who have invested a shit ton of money into gaming rig.

Gameplay > Graphics : Seriously graphics? go back to the console games then, they are always pretty.

Have you been living on an alternate Earth since the millennium? Graphics has become king, gameplay is secondary and has been for years. It is a sad fact but if your game does not get at least 7.5 for graphics it is likely doomed. I am not saying there are not exceptions, Minecraft springs to mind. But they are exceptions for a reason.

Real gamers don't be graphics as the #1 priority, IMO.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Expect to see many penises crop up throughout the world of Azeroth...er wait, I am sorry, getting games mixed up here, I meant to say Norrath.

And with the graphics geared toward younger kids, I expect this phallus tendency to grow.

-----------

Everquest Next: The future of Azeroth evolved into Norrath.

----------

Like most MMOs...good ideas, poor execution.

---------

Que an item shop full of fuzzly cuddly pets, sparkling mounts and candy gum drop costumes.

--------

Looks like someone ate "WoW" 9 years ago and finally threw up Everquest Next.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Have to disagree with you here the graphics are perfectly fine.  Who wants a game that lags at every other step because it is loading those beautiful graphics off of storage?????  Few have 16gb with a large solid state disk.  SOE is making this game so that the vast majority of people can play it.  No developer in their right mind makes a game for high level gaming rigs.

Graphics are not high on anyone's priority list except for a few whiners as long as they are decent and these are decent. 

• jojotheduckjojotheduck Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Combat seems pretty standard and seems like it will be the usual boring mmo tab style. Everything else looks great though, esp. when it comes to exploring and building/destroying the world.
  • kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

[mod edit] almost none of you are mentioning or responding to comments about the roundtable, and the Dev/Player co-development. Quite honestly, it's awesome. How great is it that a large company cares so much about the lasting opinions of the players that want to play the game that they areliterally going to invlove them in a large chunk of the important play-style questions and mechanics of the game. THis is such a great idea, and it takes having a beta to an entirely new level. Not only will we be testing the developer's ideas, but our own ideas as well. That, in and of itself, is innovative.

Secondly, the AI in this game is going to blow everything out of the water. You literally will not be able to have the same experience when you roll an alt because the entire world will have changed top to bottom. Again, innovative far past what anyone has ever attempted to do before. Every server is going to develop entirely different, and each one will be like playing a different game .This fact alone makes me want to play the game right now. When I heard it I fell in love.

Thirdly, the FTP model. [mod edit]  In all of them, you can choose to pay a monthly sub and get all the features of the game for $15 a month, just like in the past. You won't have to worry about unlocking anything, all you will have to do, like in their other games, is buy the ex-pacs. There is nothing wrong with this model at all. It keeps people in the game at slow points in the life cycle, whether they are on a daily basis, such as evening time in the US per say, or on a longer level, such as downtimes because of holidays, or even struggling months if people are lean on cash. This is just more of people complaining because it is foreign to them. People are saying they jumped into the other FTP SOE games and uninstalled right away. Not one of you, evidently, actually subbed to one of the games, because every single person complaining about it seems to have no idea that you can pay a monthly sub and have everything unlocked, plus station cash bonuses every month.

Fourth, Dave Geogeson. This guy LOVES this game. I have had issues with him in the past. I really loved EQ2 when it was P2P and I played it for years and years. When it first went FTP, I got upset, like everyone in this thread seemed to. But when I gave it a chance and really thought about it, the F2P model was only hurting the game for people if they allowed it to, meaning if their perception of it made them leave the game, or refuse to pay the sub for full unlock. But at this point, I really do trust him and have faith in him. I have seen a lot of dev speeches and reveals for MMORPGs, but this guy clearly is in love with his game. It makes me comfortable that he is putting max effort into it, and it helps me to trust him.

PS4/PC - Why in the world is this a source of pain for people? What do you care? Seriously, sit at your computer desk and play it like you always have. Why should a PS4 version have any impact on you what-so-ever? It shouldn't. I just hope that they are running the both versions on the same servers. I have been a gamer my entire life, both PC and console. Right now, until I see what it is like (if there is in fact a PS4 version) my plan is to get it on the PC like always. However, if the PS4 version is good, then I will without a doubt be getting that version. I'll sit on my couch, in front of my 80" screen, with a keyboard and mouse in front of me, and I'll play... For hour, and hours. .  [mod edit]  My hope is that the release a PS4 version of it, because I really don't want to have to keep a million consoles hooked up in one room, but I will if need be.

[mod edit] 

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    They didn't seem to talk about anything that made EQ popular other than exploration.  Camping for hours waiting for a named to pop.  Forming a group and fighting deep into a dungeon for a prime grind spot.  How can you do a LFM for orc highway if the orcs are constantly moving?  It's going to be hard to create memories when the world and things in it change all the time.  Imagine if every time you went to the supermarket for groceries all the aisles were different and everything was changed around, does that sound enjoyable?
  • kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    They didn't seem to talk about anything that made EQ popular other than exploration.  Camping for hours waiting for a named to pop.  Forming a group and fighting deep into a dungeon for a prime grind spot.  How can you do a LFM for orc highway if the orcs are constantly moving?  It's going to be hard to create memories when the world and things in it change all the time.  Imagine if every time you went to the supermarket for groceries all the aisles were different and everything was changed around, does that sound enjoyable?

You realize that in real life the world changes all the time, right? To use your example of a grocery store moving their stock... I'm sure the shops in the game will not move things around daily... That is a crazy example. I get what you're saying, but your example is silly. What made EQ1 popular was the fact that the world was immersive, This will only strengthen  that. Why would you want to do the exact same thing over and over with no variation if it can be helped? I'm sure you'll be able to LFM to kill orcs fairly easily, you may just have to scout their location before hand.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Jackdog

An earlier poster nailed it with GW2 evolved. I think that about sums it up.

Well, we have to wait and see, but I for one would call SOE bull on this and say it is EQ guild wars. Now, that might be alright to play or it might not be, we will have to wait and see, as at this stage who knows.  For myself FF XIV ARR seems to be a real mmorpg that is worth putting time and effort into this year, if SOE can release GW Next in 2014 they will have been fast, but I am betting it slips into 2015. Dudes, that is still two years away!

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Sure, the graphics do look cartoony, but oh man... a living and breathing world with full and completely customer characterization. They might as well hold the door for Blizzard's exit from the industry.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37
    WTB SSOY
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Well, saw the SOE presentation live, can't say I was "that" impressed.

Nothing much for my kind of gamer. All about "look, nice emotes", "look, they jump in a spectacular way", "look, spell effects, whirlwind" Whirlwind, really?

If it's all about how characters look and what they smash and how they destroy what they smash... there's not much in it for me. Sure, some ideas were interesting, permanent changes to the world etc but i'd like to know what's the thinking, the reasons for all that to happen. This "GW2-esque" approach is telling me that maybe i am unable to "adapt" and maybe these "next gen MMO's" are not for me anymore. Well, it's probably too soon, maybe there's more in the next presentation.

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101
    I just don't get all the hype for this game.  I mean it looks like it will be an ok game but I don't the hype.  Combat is exactly like Wildstar / GW2, questing sounds like Rift / GW2, crafting who knows...is see some people raving about this game and hating on others with the save art style and graphics and the same systems in place...I don't get it, must be the name

Join us dtguilds.com
  • LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

For the first time in 14 years I'm feeling like maybe....EQ>UO?

UO will always be my favorite MMO, but while Ultima is going in completely the wrong direction Everquest seems to be going in the right one by leaps and bounds.

That being said, I just really hope this turns out to be even half of what they promise. Right now I'm holding on to the idea of claiming a plot of land and being able to build on it brick by brick. If they give me that in a non-instanced part of the game world and allow me to incorporate pvp into it in some way I'm good to go.

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

I played EQ1 for years. This one looks to be designed for very, very young children. Disney age.

They even put some of the Disney characters in the game.  My grandchildren will love it. They have a high level GW2  character, and the combat is very similar. They are just going to love this! They are 4 and 5 years old now. Quite good at gaming too. They love the Lion King.

• bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Only thing that makes me sad is they went more cartoon then previous games. It's sad seeing artwork go back to 10 years ago....
  • QuillimQuillim Member UncommonPosts: 83

Graphics have never and will never trump gameplay. Not in this millennium or the next.

Video Games with weak Gameplay and strong graphics die fast. Everquest 1 is still being played.. you think that's because of the GRAPHICS? World of Warcraft still persists, but has gone down in recent years. Why? Because of the perception that the GAMEPLAY has been watered down and gotten too formulaic(the Graphics have remained the same). Gameplay drives everything and it would be ignorant to say otherwise. And yes, things like Minecraft or Cube World can have extremely crappy graphics, yet keep people interested due to their Gameplay.

So no.. EQN's graphics don't worry me one bit. They look fine. It'll all come down to how they deliver on the Gameplay. Will they successfully remove the massive grinds? Will the emergent GAMEPLAY come out like they're expecting. How well will I interact with the world and other players? That's what interests me. Not how it particularly looks. But then, I tend to play video GAMES, not Video Graphics.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Well I'm out, cartoony graphics :(

IKR i hate that stuff. If i want that ill be playing WoW which i tried for 2days then quit because i felt like a 5year old playing it.

No mention of pvp makes me assume that this will be another pve focused theme mmo. If pvp was a big deal then it would be mentioned. 

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171
    WOW

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I don't believe we should choose between graphics or gameplay.  We should get a game that looks great and plays well. 
  • SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

I read some comments that said something like "I wasn't aware WoW invented cartoons".

How ridiculous can you get? This is the kind of argument someone puts forth when he is either 1) trolling, or  2) wrong, knows he's wrong, at least subconsciously, and is fishing for a way to make someone else appear to be wrong.

No one said WoW was the first game to use a cartoonish style or that it was the only game to do so, and certainly no one said Blizzard invented cartoons. What we said was the cartoon style of EQNext looks very similar to the cartoon style in WoW. When I say that, I'm particularly looking at the style of the armor in the trailers, and comparing it to the style of the armor in EQII. The difference is stunning, shocking, and so disappointing to me that it colors my thoughts and feelings about the whole game.  The trailers reminded other people of other games that they have played more, but here's the key:

No one has said it looks like Everquest. Because it doesn't. It looks like some other game. Everquest's style wasn't "cartoonish" in the original or the second version, and that isn't what we want when we play Everquest.  Look, I've played WoW for years, I LIKE the cartoon style in WoW, and the armor suits the style. Over the years though, I have taken the occasional break form WoW and gone back to EQII and immensely enjoyed what I consider to be a more pleasing armor style, overall. EQII graphics problems aside, the modeling for player characters is far better, the armor is more detailed, and while still looking obviously like "fantasy armor" it looks more "realistic". It does NOT look "cartoony", and it does NOT look similar to WoW armor, or any other game's armor I've played.

For me, if you are going to have another version of Everquest (not sure I see the point in that, but whatever), it should look like Everquest. Updated models and graphics, absolutely, and they certainly have done that in some of what I've seen, it looks awesome. There are many positives in what I saw, but I'm slammed in the face like with a 2x4 with this armor that looks like WoW armor, not EQII armor in the slightest. Am I over-reacting? Frankly, I don't think so, because the only reasons I can think of that they would do that is 1) t appeal to former WoW players, and players of other WoW clones, and 2) to make the graphics cheaper to generate. Neither of these things are what I was hoping for EQNext.

It smacks of sell-out to me. One of the SOE guys said a while back "We are going to keep it subscription based as long as we can". Well, we see how long that was. SOE has sold out the EQ dev team. The graphics feel like the same kind of sell-out, to me. The whole game will have far less of what I want when I play Everquest than EQII does, and if I were to look at it as a whole new game and forgive its armor style, then it offers nothing to get me away from WoW (the WoW devs are doing a good job of killing off my interest there though).

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Veldara
    I'm wary about any soe game, the fact that this game is f2p just tells me there's a big chance of it being a cashshop abuse and nickle and dime game like all their other titles.

Game seems interesting. I do share your concerns. I also think that bots and gold sellers will ruin the game.

Just a thought. Time will tell.

• PipofixPipofix Member Posts: 32
    so looking forward to gank the shit out of carebears and such in this game, nothing better then to spend an evening ganking rpers.
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

After re-reading this thread... I noticed a pattern. Most people hating on graphics didn't really read the articles, and have their own games. GW2 Advanced? O please, don't compare the garbage that is GW2 (A PvPers paradise, with a little themepark tacked on), to a user customized game world, where people's action actually have effect.

And those saying "FTP so Fail"... This is not a "Free to play" Game. It has a demo style version that allows you to play without paying up front, but if you want to play the full game, you will need to pay a Subscription.

Those saying the game will be filled with gold-farmers - I admire your ability to tell the future... does that mean also that you are admitting the game will be so popular that farmers will want to get in game coin to sell? Also, the only thing they said was truly free, was the world creating version of the game, which is NOT tied to the real game. You can make stuff in that version, and if you are good enough, you get PAID for your efforts if it gets implemented in the game.

Yep... SOE looks like it hit a homer this time, and the Fanboys of other games and trolls are coming out en-mass to try to get their kicks.

Personally, I am going to wait on more reveals about how they plan on keeping player interest if there isn't a "Carrot on a stick" to follow.