Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If SOE is comitted to the "Round Table" concept..they need to put up a poll about the art style.

evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Art style is very important (not gameplay important, but its still a big part of the expirience)

There's been at best "mixed" reaction to the art style in EQN, and obvious a lot of it has been very negative. The style has been compared to WoW, Wildstar, Firefall..etc

Smed and Georgeonsen were adamant about making sure we knew the game still has time to change and that we can help change it that we're "making OUR game together" as they put it.

Well put up a poll on your roundtable about the art style, let us have our say in the platform you've chosen for developer to player interaction. 

All that said..I'm still going to play the game, but the artstyle was incredibly dissapointing to me. To me this is not EQ's style, its more like their Clone Wars kiddie game with the ridiculous over-exaggerated eyes and other facial features along with the clay-mation style hair and bright colors.

Comments

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by evianwater

Art style is very important (not gameplay important, but its still a big part of the expirience)

There's been at best "mixed" reaction to the art style in EQN, and obvious a lot of it has been very negative. The style has been compared to WoW, Wildstar, Firefall..etc

Smed and Georgeonsen were adamant about making sure we knew the game still has time to change and that we can help change it that we're "making OUR game together" as they put it.

Well put up a poll on your roundtable about the art style, let us have our say in the platform you've chosen for developer to player interaction. 

All that said..I'm still going to play the game, but the artstyle was incredibly dissapointing to me. To me this is not EQ's style, its more like their Clone Wars kiddie game with the ridiculous over-exaggerated eyes and other facial features along with the clay-mation style hair and bright colors.

Incorrect.... negative people just voice their opinions more. The art style is great.... if you don't like it don't play

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by fs23otm

Incorrect.... negative people just voice their opinions more. The art style is great.... if you don't like it don't play

The Art style may be great...to you. You, and I, are small portions of the population that will play this game. I think what you missed in my original post was using THEIR OWN TOOL!

They went on at lengths about the round table feature..but your'e saying it shouldn't be used because..negative people voice their opinions more ? Where's the logic in having the tool in the first place then ?

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    No they don't the art style was chosen to enable the game to look good for years to come; not to mention a change in art style would set the game back quite a bit.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

Don't play? What a troll. Maybe you missed the part where Smed said they wanted to hear from the playerbase.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Hanthos

Don't play? What a troll. Maybe you missed the part where Smed said they wanted to hear from the playerbase.

Well if you do not play you are not part of the playerbase......right?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

OH GIVE IT A REST

The art style is not something that they can just snap a finger and have it all magically be hyper realistic. It was chosen for many technical reasons and isn't going to change.

• VakuumVakuum Member Posts: 9

You don't do polls on something like that. You make the decision and stick with it.

Having said that, the art style has alot of advantages. And it would also be almost impossible (atleast yet) to create worlds that look realistic because of the nature of voxels.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The 2 biggest reasons I see for the Art Direction.

1. SoEmote wouldn't have the impact of exaggerated expressions in a realistic art style

2. To save on the CPU/GPU overhead in combination with the destructable world.

Don't be looking for a change anytime soon

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

The Art style may be great...to you. You, and I, are small portions of the population that will play this game. I think what you missed in my original post was using THEIR OWN TOOL!

They went on at lengths about the round table feature..but your'e saying it shouldn't be used because..negative people voice their opinions more ? Where's the logic in having the tool in the first place then ?

The round table is for small decision... like should dwarf females have beards... it is not for "Hey lets scrap the last 6 months of work because Evianwater doesn't like it" 

Art style, lore, class system is not debatable... they are the decisions made by level headed developers, not irrational forum posters.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Yes agree.

It make me wonder if they were thinking of Veteran EQ players when they decided to go this direction or were they more concerned since they made it f2p to go after everyone else?

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I think the character models are very bad...extremely, however it's to late to change the.  I do think being that, that is one category that a lot of people have been vocal about, it is obvious that it's an issue.  Just pointing that out to those that like it, it's not like one or two people pointed that out.  It was loud and clear that many didn't like them...I actually felt bad for the lady in charge of the art as so many people were bashing it.  Either or, if the gameplay is a blast...it's not the end of the world.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

The round table is for small decision... like should dwarf females have beards... it is not for "Hey lets scrap the last 6 months of work because Evianwater doesn't like it" 

Art style, lore, class system is not debatable... they are the decisions made by level headed developers, not irrational forum posters.

lol image

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I very much doubt the art will change to the game considering they have most likely spent considerable time and money in concept and building in game assets around it. It's not something they can just pick up and go "We'll change it". Stuff on the round table for example has been focused about additions that are based on the present assets. 

The short end of it to be honest is that 'this' is their creative vision for their game and it's their choice and their right to do as they place. Of course, they would like more people to play as possible and if the stylized art style puts you off, then, this game might not be for you because the art and graphics are just the palette at the end of the day and they aren't going to go anywhere. 

Personally this is going to be a knee-jerk reaction, I very much imagine once you are in the game itself enjoying the beauty you'll come to appreciate what they did with it and begin to love it. But as for art style, I personally like it. But, as always opinions differ, there will never be a happy medium, you just need to crawl into the fetal position until you either eventually accept it or move on to other games. 

I have seen a lot of threads out there about people harping on about the graphics and how they wanted it to be realistic (not yourself mind you) and to be honest there are games out there that fit the mold. The Secret World for example is a wonderful game with realistic graphics, yet, they just don't have the community and already the graphics in that game is starting to date. It's kinda sad really. 

• BTUndertakerBTUndertaker Member Posts: 6
    The art style is fine.  I don't get why people are thinking Everquest would ever implement realism in its character models.  Did EQ or EQ2 have it, nope!  Why in the world would anyone expect that is beyond me.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Changing the art style is a ridiculous thing to expect them to be able to do. That is YEARS of work.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by gylnne

Yes agree.

It make me wonder if they were thinking of Veteran EQ players when they decided to go this direction or were they more concerned since they made it f2p to go after everyone else?

Well there's the fact that they said they didn't want to take players away from their existing titles. So no, EQN was not made for or aimed at EQ players. If that's not painfully obvious at this point, maybe Smedely can come to your house and poop in your shoes.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by BTUndertaker
    The art style is fine.  I don't get why people are thinking Everquest would ever implement realism in its character models.  Did EQ or EQ2 have it, nope!  Why in the world would anyone expect that is beyond me.

Im more suprised how people seem to have been caught off guard considering we already saw some of the character styles.

Not the best image but only one I was able to find offhand, from june 6th.

Then the art poster, their statements it will be stylish..

BUt on topic, no they shouldnt put the art style on a poll, its something thats here to stay.

The round table just gives us a vote on small aspects within

• BackFatJackBackFatJack Member Posts: 6
    Lol. Smed shat in my shoes in 2004!  Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but thats not the point.  I sit in the not pleased camp in the whole EQN art syle debate, but I am pleased that the EQ Franchise may attract a new generation and draw new crowds to EQ1 and 2.  Here is hoping anyway!
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Panthien

Im more suprised how people seem to have been caught off guard considering we already saw some of the character styles.

BUt on topic, no they shouldnt put the art style on a poll, its something thats here to stay.

I still say that's an ugly gnome.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Originally posted by Panthien

The art style you might expect from a Brony!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think the round table is more about the game direction as opposed to allow major changes like changing art direction.

They are NOT going to change the art direction at this point.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Give it a rest, stylized vs realistic is just semantics. All that matters when it comes to graphics is that they look pretty. I don't think anyone can honestly say the graphics look horrible even if they despise the art style. The graphics aren't that bad so as to need a complete overhaul, end of story. I personally am not a fan of the art direction they took either but I'm not gonna complain about trivial shit. The graphics are still satisfactory and I can live with (and even enjoy) it. Can't we argue and push for things that DO really matter instead? Like the gameplay? Funny enough this cartoony style doesn't make me concerned about the graphics as much as it does make me concerned about the difficulty of the game. The style looks very WoW-like and if the difficulty of the overall game is going to be akin to WoW (with hardmode raids being the exception because those CAN get quite hard but the overall game is a faceroll) then I'm not buying. MMO's going easy and casual have ruined the genre for me more than anything else to be honest.

Im not going to say it easy, because nothing about game development is "easy".  Changing the Character art is not impossible.  They did it with EQ1.  I am aware they also were developing revenue from their product and didn't have 3rd party application tied into their characters (i.e. SOemote).  I'm just confused why everything has to be exaggerated.  It is a great artisitc style, which is highly subjective.  But if they wanted to please as many as possible to increase their player base, it would make much more sense to have armor, heads, hands in proportions. I am talking about the kerran in this regard.  Making them look like a homunculus is dumb.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by gylnne

Yes agree.

Well there's the fact that they said they didn't want to take players away from their existing titles. So no, EQN was not made for or aimed at EQ players. If that's not painfully obvious at this point, maybe Smedely can come to your house and poop in your shoes.

There is also the fact that both EQ was cartoony. So yeah, they were thinking of veteran EQ players when they decided to make it look cartoony like the game it takes its namesake from.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Personally I like the character model they chose to use. With the direction they took it will age very well. However the Kerra are just... odd. If you compare models akin to the style there using in other games like it, youll notice the humans and various races all look very alike. However the Kerra lack bone structure under there facial skin, making for a very odd set of expressions. Fix that and I think you have it made.