Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lead Design refuses to confirm %done or to completion

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

the poster on reddit made this comment:

"I asked him for the slightest hint on how far along the game was (percentage completed) and he couldn't comment =(

I think they're going to use EQN:Landmark to sort of test their procedural generator, use our slave labor to create content for the game, and keep us occupied while they finish things off. I suspect it will launch some time in 2014, most likely the later part of the year."

full post is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1jm875/talked_to_darrin_lead_game_design_at_the_pool/

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• VonbekVonbek Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by aspekx

the poster on reddit made this comment:

"I asked him for the slightest hint on how far along the game was (percentage completed) and he couldn't comment =(

I think they're going to use EQN:Landmark to sort of test their procedural generator, use our slave labor to create content for the game, and keep us occupied while they finish things off. I suspect it will launch some time in 2014, most likely the later part of the year."

full post is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1jm875/talked_to_darrin_lead_game_design_at_the_pool/

Oh no drama!!!! He refused to tell !!! They must be in a really terrible situation then!!!!

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Good bet, that's probably what's going to happen. Have they announced release dates in SOELive in the past? If so, I'd suspect that they could announce it at SOELive next year, followed by a late-late 2014 / early 2015 release.
  • LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by Lorgarn
    Good bet, that's probably what's going to happen. Have they announced release dates in SOELive in the past? If so, I'd suspect that they could announce it at SOELive next year, followed by a late-late 2014 / early 2015 release.

Who knows for sure and you could be right, but I just can't imagine them releasing EQN Landmark this winter and then making us wait a whole year prior to getting the actual game.  It'd be a bad move from a marketing standpoint to give us a sort of taste of the game with Landmark and then make us wait too long to the point that some start playing other MMOs and get hooked on those by the time the full EQN launches. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It seems the design teams are finally getting smart, things like this should never be brought out in the open..  The only ones that actually should have insight in stuff like this are the people funding the game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I seriously doubt it will release in 2014..  One thing I noticed with this weekends LIVE event is that EQ Next did not even glint to starting cities..  Don't you find that unusual that with the limited screenshots available, and videos.. NOT ONE shows a city.. No city = No NPC citizens ready either.. So where does crafting fall? or the economy in general.. If things aren't even on the drawing board, I suspect we are at least 2 years away..
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    you wont see this game untill 2015 for sure.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Looking back i realize how little they have shown in the presentation.

Two characters, one mini boss, two maps, bunch of trash mob.

Honesty i just hope SOE takes all the time they need to develop it, but it would be nightmare for marketing if they release the Landmarks wayyyyy before the lanuch date, the hype will lose its steam if the game doesn't launch within a year and half after the release of the Landmarks imo.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    from what we saw, claiming 20% is done would be very optimistic, so yeh miles and miles away
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by aspekx

I think they're going to use EQN:Landmark to sort of test their procedural generator, use our slave labor to create content for the game, and keep us occupied while they finish things off. 

I see nothing wrong with this.

The thing is, the players that create stuff for the game wont be 'slave labor', they will be people with a passion for creating stuff that enjoy it.  And they may even get their work in the finished game.  And Im predicting the consistently amazing designers get job offers

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

What are you people talking about?

You can SIGN UP FOR BETA NOW on everquestnext.com! That MEANS beta is not a long way off, i.e. months away!

So it is entirely possible and probable they release in 2014. Anyone who says otherwise is just disregarding the fact I just mentioned, which is that BETA SIGNUP is going on right now!

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

They need to take as much time as they need...... I still got another year of medical school before I graduate and can put some serious time into this game.

LOL!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'd predict early to mid 2014 for release.

I'm also going to risk predicting a longer than average beta test cycle. It looks like there are quite a few complex relationships that will have to be thoroughly tested.

We haven't even seen crafting yet, or resource gathering. Could they be holding even more aces in that area ? 0.o

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'm also going to risk predicting a longer than average beta test cycle. It looks like there are quite a few complex relationships that will have to be thoroughly tested.

We haven't even seen crafting yet, or resource gathering. Could they be holding even more aces in that area ? 0.o

You are right .

I'm being generous with these predictions but:

- Say Beta begins 3 months from now which is signup time. It is more likely to be closed than open beta.

- Then Say Beta lasts at most 6 months. At that point they either convert to open beta or release.

That means EQN is not more than 9 months away which means there is simply NO WAY it will be publically released past summer (mid-) 2014. The numbers just don't add up no matter how generous you are.

So please NOBODY say 2015 anymore without giving logical reasons WHY.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by superconducting

You are right .

- Say Beta begins 3 months from now which is signup time. It is more likely to be closed than open beta.

- Then Say Beta lasts at most 6 months. At that point they either convert to open beta or release.

That means EQN is not more than 9 months away which means there is simply NO WAY it will be publically released past summer (mid-) 2014. The numbers just don't add up no matter how generous you are.

because:  sin(signup date * day of the week) / lunar cycle * log(closed beta + open beta)^2

So please NOBODY say 2014 anymore [sic] without making stuff up and throwing around random numbers.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Mind you this is all speculation, but it seems to me that they have been building up the tools. I don't think the actual game is all that far along. It looks to me like they focused on getting a few places, a couple classes, etc ready for the presentation. Focused on making those look good (which they did) but content wise it likely has a long ways to go. I'd guess Christmas 2014 at the earliest. These games take time to build. They started from scratch two years ago.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

You are right .

they havent even decided on how the combat will be yet.

They have said they want the players to be involved...well you dont just get their input and implement something overnight, it takes time.

And you are pulling 3 mo/6 mo out of your ass entirely.  Plenty of games are in beta for far longer than 6 months.

This game has massive scope.  The AI for instance is on paper so radically different from everything weve seen before and will require lots of testing.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Hardly slave labor if you enjoy it, no?
    Originally posted by taus01

You are right .

because:  sin(signup date * day of the week) / lunar cycle * log(closed beta + open beta)^2

So please NOBODY say 2014 anymore [sic] without making stuff up and throwing around random numbers.

Quit being a Jackass and try to PROCESS what I just told you.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The lead designer knows better than to give such numbers.

Because if he does, and they have to push back release date, all the forums will be like "told you so, that game is doomed! ZOMG VAPORWARE! I H8 U SOE!" etc.. etc.. etc..

Taking the "when it's ready (tm)" Blizzard stance is the only wise way to do it.

"Soon(tm)" has become a popular reply in the industry for exactly that reason.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by strangiato2112

You are right .

they havent even decided on how the combat will be yet.

They have said they want the players to be involved...well you dont just get their input and implement something overnight, it takes time.

And you are pulling 3 mo/6 mo out of your ass entirely.  Plenty of games are in beta for far longer than 6 months.

This game has massive scope.  The AI for instance is on paper so radically different from everything weve seen before and will require lots of testing.

OK fine, extend the beta period to 1 yr which is an insanely long beta. That's STILL NOT 2015. At least I'm trying to estimate here. There are quite a few I see coming up with release dates pulled entirely out their asses. Anyone wanna go for 2016 release based off the fact that "Oh, they haven't shown us the PvP yet. That means there's no PvP system yet"

They've only shown us what they wanted to show us. I just read somewhere that there's a whole MOUNTAIN of stuff we weren't actually shown. In fact here it is:

"I asked if there was a large majority of the game that they were not showing us (maybe due to lack of polish etc etc) and he said yes." (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/391863/From-Reddit-Talked-to-Darrin-lead-game-design-at-the-pool-party-for-a-bit-heres-what-I-learned-updated.html)

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    .....plain and simple we got lied to again by SOE, smed whatever. Game aint anywhere close to being done by years end like stated. This was SOE last chance with me after all their fuk ups, and now turning EQ into WoW 2.0.....good luck all, i just hope Trion gets their head out of their asses and gets AA done.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

You are right .

I tried to process your "generous predicitons" but all i could come up with was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJtMNSZ5ZfY

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

You are right .

I tried to process your "generous predicitons" but all i could come up with was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJtMNSZ5ZfY

You've proven my point even more. Jackass. And you haven't even realized it.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i can't imagine the devs leaving us with landmark alone for a year without releasing the game.

my personal prediction is, 9 months to the day after landmark is released.  ready or not (i hope "ready")

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

just to be clear:

1. i didn't read his response as a need for drama, just an indication that they weren't anywhere near ready to start talking numbers yet. which would seem to indicate a longer waiting period than most of us imagined. and yes i think its a good idea to keep a wrap on things. frankly, if the game doesn't come out by next summer i would consider even the current reveal to be too much too soon.

2. also, they have taken beta apps for Landmark and the game. that's all they've said. it could very well be that they use the applications for both processes when the time comes. which means they don't have to launch a game beta for quite some time if they so choose. im sure they hope Landmark will be enough of a distraction and time killer for folks to not notice the wait and as well to become invested in the mechanics of the game that will be available in Landmark.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse