Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

POLL: art direction, character models

andrewr47andrewr47 Chicago, ILPosts: 15Member
My biggest gripe is the cartoony characters. What do you think? This is about the art direction not the graphical engine

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisPosts: 2,070Member Uncommon
    I like more realistic style but after watching the vid i have to say i like it.

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
    Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
    Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
    Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
    840 Series 250GB SSDs
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

• LorgarnLorgarn SwedenPosts: 371Member Uncommon
    I don't particularly mind that it's a cartoony look. What I do mind is that they doesn't really fit in the world. The world is almost identical to Planetside2, which has this sort of semi-realistic yet beautiful and alien-like look and feel. It just doesn't blend that well together in EQN imo.
  • SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    Hugely disappointed but I can still play the game if it won't be p2w and too similar to GW2. After playing GW2 I now know that I like designated roles ie holy trinity and I don't like spam fest that they call action combat.
  • Redfeather75Redfeather75 Guelph, ONPosts: 182Member

I didn't like the look of the Kerran. I didn't hate it either.
    Everything else I liked just fine.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Posts: 374Member

Human chick looks acceptable.

Kerran on the other hand.....NUFF SAID.

• erodaeroda PerthPosts: 6Member
    Well the Art Direciton is ok, i think the textures are quite low, when comparing them to PS2 on Ultra they look dull but maybe thats because Voxels are CPU killers. my main gripe is how gumby the Kerran look, i was expecting more Lion and fierce but its still alpha they can redesign Kerran easily before launch. if enough people complain about it they will change it, the body is fine its the face thats all wrong. I like how my choices impact me , how if im a bad player i only get the evil classes and vice versa finally a game where choice matters 
  • MoonBeansMoonBeans ParisPosts: 173Member
    don't like it, it feels like a copy of wildstar.
  • taus01taus01 MunichPosts: 1,352Member

I don't mind cartoon graphics if they are done with their own art style and unique flavour. Guild Wars 2 or Wild Star are good examples. Guild Wars has a very water coloured almost expressionistic style. Wild Star reminds me of Warner Brothers or Craig McCracken cartoons, very quirky and funny.

This however looks like generic Warhammer/Warcraft cartoon style with oversized armor (those fracking shoulder pads, stop using those already) and disproportionate bodies.

It's overused style and bad art direction that is going to kill a possibly good game.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Oak Park, CAPosts: 233Member

At first I can honestly say I was like "really? That is what our next gen of EQ characters are going to look like?"

Then after a few minutes it sank in and I realized it was ok, not awesome but the game itself looks great and the characters look good to so I like it now. It reminds me a bit of EQOA. EQ1 in my opinion had that "Classic D&D" feel to it when it came to art. EQN feels more like a "Pathfinder" kinda style. If you're familiar with the Pathfinder RPG and it's books the art style seems very close in my mind. Pathfinder feels at times like a Comic book had a baby with D&D, and this is what EQN feels like to me.

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow HelsinkiPosts: 111Member
    Originally posted by taus01

I don't mind cartoon graphics if they are done with their own art style and unique flavour. Guild Wars 2 or Wild Star are good examples. Guild Wars has a very water coloured almost expressionistic style. Wild Star reminds me of Warner Brothers or Craig McCracken cartoons, very quirky and funny.

This however looks like generic Warhammer/Warcraft cartoon style with oversized armor (those fracking shoulder pads, stop using those already) and disproportionate bodies.

It's overused style and bad art direction that is going to kill a possibly good game.

Have to disagree if you want bad art direction go play Arche Age

they managed to make that game ugly as hell even though its supposed to be running on cry engine 2 or 3

Good art style or direction can compensate for bad graphics

but Good graphics cant compensate for bad art style and art direction

• cybertruckercybertrucker Pensacola, FLPosts: 1,119Member
    While I was a bit shocked at first  at the cartoony style.  I have to say the animations set it over the top. They were crisp, fluid and overall just amazing. I am sure we will be getting more glimpses of different character models in the near future. As this was just a teaser. Also being so early in the game design. I'm sure we will also see more tweaks on certain models or options.

I think most people agree the Kerran face needs a rework.  Overall I like what I saw. However I was expecting more realistic models. 
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Vineland, NJPosts: 869Member

There was nothing about the character design that i liked. They said that they chose to go in this direction for the game ages better. Well jokes on them since the game already looks 6 years old already.

World Design seems fine to me but with the flyover they showed, i knew it was goin to be heavily stylized.

Good news is that EQN isn't the only sandbox game on the horizon. Sony will never get another dollar from me again.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Vineland, NJPosts: 869Member
    Originally posted by OfficialFlow
    Originally posted by taus01

Have to disagree if you want bad art direction go play Arche Age

they managed to make that game ugly as hell even though its supposed to be running on cry engine 2 or 3

Good art style or direction can compensate for bad graphics

but Good graphics cant compensate for bad art style and art direction

This is a joke right? AA is one of the best looking games on the market atm.