Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does this look so much like Wildstar?

Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I can't get over how much these two games look alike.  I guess it's the same cheesy gameplay and cartoony graphics. Today just took EQN off the table for me and put TESO right back on it again.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

I can't get over how much these two games look alike.  I guess it's the same cheesy gameplay and cartoony graphics. Today just took EQN off the table for me and put TESO right back on it again.

...until ESO has that one unforgivable thing they do that's a complete deal breaker to you and we get your ESO version of the above post.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Looks better than Wildstar.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by emperorwings

Well... I'm not so sure.

I prefer the graphics of the world in EQN but it's just that the very Disney-like characters doesn't really fit in it that well. So, in my eyes Wildstar blends A LOT better. While the characters in EQN just looks misplaced.

IF the world in EQN would follow the style of the characters a tad bit more it would've looked a lot better IMO. (or vice versa)

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Doesn't even compare for me. For lack of a better term, EQN seems "alive" while Wildstar does look like a cartoon (which it does very well and is their goal). From the color, shadows, animations, detail, etc. they aren't close. Compared to TESO, sure they look similar, but to me EQN is much more appealing.

I hope you and many others in the realism crowd enjoy TESO and the months? you'll have together. Hopefully this forum will be cleared out of all the negativity by the end of the weekend.

Come on official forums...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I can't get over how much these two games look alike.  I guess it's the same cheesy gameplay and cartoony graphics. Today just took EQN off the table for me and put TESO right back on it again.

Already thought so myself but didn't want to make the remark for the flaming community here :p

If I gotta pick between both as more favorite, I think I'll pick Wildstar though because of the humor they've already shown in the promo-movies. EQN also has some neat features, but I think the cartoonish graphics just doesn't fit the EQ art style used till now :(

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    I norm don't care about graphics. In fact I don't even mind Wildstar.....But this !..........This is crap !
  • DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by emperorwings

Agreed.  Wildstar looks extremely cartoony.  EQN is more stylistic with a much higher polygon count then your typical cartoony game.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    To be honest, the first thought that came through my head when I saw the characters was "this looks like Tangled" the human male looked Flynn Rider and the female reminded me of a dark haired Rapunzel.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    When I finish playing Wildstar (only expect to play it 1-3 months) I'll be depending on if I find a good guild staying in EQ:N for as long as I thought I was going to stay in GW2 until I got level cap. have a good guild there and hope the same people want to play EQ:N

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

...until ESO has that one unforgivable thing they do that's a complete deal breaker to you and we get your ESO version of the above post.

The final straw for some in ESO was no chat bubbles :) I wonder if the OP knows?

Funny thing... I have zero interest in Wildstar and am very interested in EQN. There are plenty of firsts here for me to look beyond the surface.

I've been promoting non-repeatable events and smart mobs that migrate for years in these forums... they're giving me both of those. How could I complain?

Wildstar is just the latest one of "that MMO." Any resemblance is purely skin-deep.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I think what he is trying to say is, SoE has disrupted the integrity of what was a wonderful mmorpg franchise by applying cartoony gameplay and art style. This is not acceptable to many loyal EQ fans and they want better. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

For me, it's not the fact that they're too "cartoony", it's that the EQN character models are too exaggerated. Not every cartoon has characters with fists twice the size of their skulls. I understand what they said about emotes & to a degree, I can forgive the facial features, but the rest is just too much. It's just done in poor taste, imo. Much like 30 mins of sand art is just a bit too long to sit through.

If you ask me, they started to believe that the reason for WoW's success was the art style when really, it was the smooth animation not the look itself.

Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

For me, it's not the fact that they're too "cartoony", it's that the EQN character models are too exaggerated. Not every cartoon has characters with fists twice the size of their skulls. I understand what they said about emotes & to a degree, I can forgive the facial features, but the rest is just too much. It's just done in poor taste, imo. Much like 30 mins of sand art is just a bit too long to sit through.

If you ask me, they started to believe that the reason for WoW's success was the art style when really, it was the smooth animation not the look itself.

And what is ironic is when WoW was released most all who were EQ fans didn't play it because of the style. Now, here we are with the same thing. 

There are many cartoon mmorpgs available and if want to play them I will, but I want a mature EQ style of game. 

I'm a mmorpg junky so I will play no matter how it looks, but I'm kinda disappointed right now! :( Hopefully it grows on me.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

When I saw the female character I thought of tarzan from disney, but boy was I supriesed when I saw the disney lion king with shield and hammer moshing a way. 0.o

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Agree.

Exactly what bothers me too about the art direction. Disproportionate bodies and shoulder pads the size of a small country. This style is so overused and shows lack of creativity. Hell, i would say nothing about the whole look of the game screams creativity to me. There is no ambience and the environment looks boring, generic and uninspired, almost bland.

If i look at Wild Star, they at least chose a cartoon style that is unique and has the quality of old school cartoons like roadrunner or bugs bunny. Just looking at the animations and mobs makes me grin.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Amjoco

And what is ironic is when WoW was released most all who were EQ fans didn't play it because of the style. Now, here we are with the same thing. 

Do you have a source for that? I doubt anyone (other than your fellow anti-cartoony brethren) will buy such an odd and "unique" statement without something to back that. You don't even have to try to dig up actual data, just link to forum threads or blogs from 2003 of EQers indicating that "most all who were EQ fans didn't play because of the style."

It's entirely possible that you meant "a completely made up fact" when you wrote "ironic", at which point the sentence makes a lot more sense. However, I still would be interested in seeing something that supports such a ludicrous claim.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Character models and expressions look very similar - environment of EQNext looks much more realistic than Wildstar though.  Wildstar there is no way I could tolerate, EQNext's graphics I will try lol.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Have people become so dilluted by graphics there are only two shades, cartoony and dark? What happened to things in between and the difference in art style between games? Have games being all shades of black and grey just being so 'meh' that it has dulled people sense of telling artistic style apart? 
  • KeluianKeluian Member UncommonPosts: 14
    The character models yes, the environment no.  Had to google wildstar but yeah the character models are about as cartoonish as this.  The landscape in EQN is much more realistic than most games I've seen. (not all) It needs some fixing...that's for sure.
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

I don't believe they look anything alike. While Wildstar is straight up cartoony EQN is more nuanced. Not to mention the gameplay that EQN is claiming to offer is leaps and bounds ahaed of anyone else. So, the best thing to do is to take our collective overly jaded mmo caps off and just wait and see.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I've never seen Wildstar, but it is very unfortunate that "EverQuest next World of Warcraft" decided to make the graphics look so cartoony.

I was hoping for a more mature looking game, not something that looks like it came out of a cereal box.  I was watching the destructable environment video and I coulda sworn I was looking at some sort of "Tauren" doing things in a world of warcraft world.

The ideas seem cool for the most part, but this cartoony BS is getting (young).  I would say "old" but contrary to how the graphics are looking, it seems that the visuals of this game are geared toward small children.

----

A sad day indeed, I suppose this is what happens when you expect great things after playing Everquest original.

I guess they are going for the "WoW" factor, watered down graphics and an appeal that will hopefully capture 12 million subscribers.  At least I can be comfertable knowing that this will probably run on my other 8 year old computer that is collecting dust.

I am sure my 8 year old nieces will enjoy playing this.

--

Que an item shop full of cuddly pets, sparkling flying mounts, and candycane gumdrop costumes.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Do you have a source for that? I doubt anyone (other than your fellow anti-cartoony brethren) will buy such an odd and "unique" statement without something to back that. You don't even have to try to dig up actual data, just link to forum threads or blogs from 2003 of EQers indicating that "most all who were EQ fans didn't play because of the style."

It's entirely possible that you meant "a completely made up fact" when you wrote "ironic", at which point the sentence makes a lot more sense. However, I still would be interested in seeing something that supports such a ludicrous claim.

There is no link or data to back it up just like 95% of what others on this site contribute. (notice I made that percent up also). This is from past experience and playing with others for years. In my statement I never led into giving facts, just an opinion. 

The support is I said so! How ludicrous of me! :)

edit: Using google I typed in "poll everquest vs world of warcraft art style". Although it isn't a poll, the first archived page I brought up was 4 sites down. Gamespy's EQII vs WoW. As you can see, almost everyone on that page chose EQ over WoW graphics when mentioned. I didn't go onto any more pages, but you get the idea. That is from the past, the comments from yesterday and today from countless EQ fans about the graphics in EQN, and the playstyle, are current reasons why the change is unliked by so many. Remind you, all this is IMHO and not facts!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by page975
    I norm don't care about graphics. In fact I don't even mind Wildstar.....But this !..........This is crap !

Sheep mind. I believe you are just saying this to fit in.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I think what he is trying to say is, SoE has disrupted the integrity of what was a wonderful mmorpg franchise by applying cartoony gameplay and art style. This is not acceptable to many loyal EQ fans and they want better. 

That, and the fact they ripped off Wildstar. I would love to see the creators of Wildstar take EQN to court. They copied there style, gameplay mechanics and even the environments look the same. The characters look almost identical too. 

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    Did you watch the quakecon gameplay? TESO sucks... big time! XD