Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is so "innovative" about this game.

Comments

• VonbekVonbek Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

What's so innovative about this title that was going to revolutionalise MMO?

Um.. pretty much all of it.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Theres plenty of voxel based mmo´s out there which are allready in playable state and they dont call themselves "revolutionary" but for some reason you want to call eqn for that ?

Can we get a few examples? Only one I can think of would be CubeWorld an it is only planned to go the MMO route eventually, and only if the designers/coders can do it.

for example.

http://planetexplorers.pathea.net/about/  alpha.

http://www.starforge.com/ alpha

So your definition of "plenty" are two indie games in alpha? :P

BTW, Starforge will only have a multiplayer of 16 people... MMO?

And the devs for Planet Explorers don't recommend going over 8 players! My god man.

Im sure you can use google.

And atm eqn can go co-op ?

Anyways,its nothing "revolutionary " atleast yet.

I can use google, maybe you can't mate?

The dev's stating how many players are possible with those two indie titles, compared to EQN which we know is classed as an MMO.... You can fight it all you want mate, but I'm afraid you are just arguing to argue now.

Heh.

Well if you wan to google how many players EQN can have simultaneously,then do it.

And if you want to google voxel MMO,its not that hard to do either.write voxel mmo and press enter and start searching.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ace80k
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    Originally posted by Tokken

SoE, MMORPG.COM and TenTonhammer said people were going to be blown away and see something they had never seen before.

I'm watching the videos just now, what are they talking about.

Vindictus has destructible terrain, the landscaper is just like Minecraft, the combat didn't seem special at all, looked like WoW.

What's so innovative about this title that was going to revolutionalise MMO? Seems like pretty run of the mill to me.

Umm. didn't you watch the video? The 4 holy grails.... that's innovative.

you realise they have all basically been done before right?

Minecraft isn't an MMO.

Wurm Online is though.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wurm+online+terraforming&oq=wurm+online+terra&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0.239.4199.0.5780.13.7.0.6.6.1.454.1541.1j4j0j1j1.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.v-15YqZ65qI

http://wurmonline.com/about-the-game/

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

SOE has bit off  A LOT, I hope its not more than they can chew.

But I am excited as all can be you know why? because its not another G*D D&MN chessy themepark reskinned MMO. I cant wait to try it. If your one of those people who like your MMORPG's to lead you along and hold your hand from A-Z then you get bored and move on, just do everyone who has grown sick of those games a favor and stay away, you dont have to buy the game. just wait for TESO, then you will get yet another reskinned themepark that we all have played far to many times.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

You can't dig tunnels in Wurm. It's not a voxel engine, it's a heightmap.

Unless they drastically changed their engine recently of course.

Yes you can, you can make access tunnels from scratch, EQN is no where near as complete terraforming as Wurm Online

Oh and i'm a EQ vet and looking forward to playing EQN but don't let the hype take you away because it's not the first mmo that allows terraforming .

• akahdrinakahdrin Member Posts: 17

It's not more than they can chew.  They have just hired thousands of unpaid game content developers who will make things because they love it and do it for free.  Plus a lot of serious people there will probably use an opportunity like this to create a virtual resume.  "See what I can do."  A guy did it with a Skyrim add-on and I'm sure with the right tools it will be done here.

Just reading through all the whiners here makes me wonder, what the hell were they watching?  Sure the graphics might be cartoony and Disney-ish, but does that mean it's not a good game?  Mortal Online had realish graphics and it didn't feel immersive at all.  It's a fantasy world using magic and doing things that you as a person could never do and you want it to look real?  It's fun, leave it that way.  Plus if it's left the way it is, it is probably a ton easier to run on machines.  Having a game that looks super realistic that has very high graphics requirements basically cuts probably 75%+ of the population from enjoying the game on a similar level as others...not a brilliant move.

Anyways, great presentation.  Only thing I was slightly let down on was the fact that they didn't touch on spell-weaving which they mentioned previously.  I was hoping for a vanguard bard song creation system for all spells to create your own spell book.

Currently playing Everquest on Project1999

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You can literally see a hill and dig into it and make tunnels everywhere in Wurm online and literally see a spot of land and go a house would look good there and build one there. The same guy made it as Minecraft. Atleast if you stuff up for what ever reason it doesn't take 20 min to slowly very slowly die. I don't think we'll ever get a true sandbox like Wurm online but making holes in the terrain to discover dungeons is something new even though the land regenerates eventually. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I am flabbergasted that anyone watching that presentation could come away with the OP's impression. No point explaining to these stubborn lots.
    Chamber of Chains
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    If you have to ask what is so innovative about this reveal then you missed the entire reveal. When i finished watching it I shipped my pants.image

Where'd you ship them too?  did you use Fed Ex or UPS?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I am flabbergasted that anyone watching that presentation could come away with the OP's impression. No point explaining to these stubborn lots.

I am going to be honest, there will always be people that wont like an MMO no matter how good everyone thinks it is, I hate to have to bring it here but look at WoW, even tho I think it has gone downhill recently ( last 2 years or so ) and thats my opinion its undeniable that a lot of people enjoyed/enjoy playing the game, yet there will always be a lot of people who dont and that is fine.

I think people in this thread have already given more than enough reasoning as to why they think EQN features are an innovation on the genre, but someone like the OP is never gonna be swayed no matter what because he has already made his mind up, its not like this is a genuine "I want to know what innovations are in this game" this is instead a sarcastic thread from someone that thinks they have gotten the answer, so no point getting upset about it :D

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Foomerang

The entire game is made out of voxels and they layed like 4 zones on top of each other that you can dig/blast through.

I think they'll severaly restrict the ability to blastdig through the layers, get a felling it will only be allowed in certain spots and  will cost you real money in the cash shop.  If they did not restricted it people would just destroy the world n a matter of weeks.  So though it's a nice feature it's going to be heavy managed you wont be free to do what you like.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    No levels, better DE's and you can make swiss cheese of the landscape. Probably still going to be the same old but with afew things which sound good at first. If the DE's reset and don't really matter then it's not really anything special. The landscape would probably need to regenerate over time otherwise there would be like terraria mp and nothing left of the world.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by expresso

The entire game is made out of voxels and they layed like 4 zones on top of each other that you can dig/blast through.

I think they'll severaly restrict the ability to blastdig through the layers, get a felling it will only be allowed in certain spots and  will cost you real money in the cash shop.  If they did not restricted it people would just destroy the world n a matter of weeks.  So though it's a nice feature it's going to be heavy managed you wont be free to do what you like.

I hope so..  And it will only be a matter of time before we see spoiler sites having a maps of "dig" locations.. I assume it will take "picks" to dig those areas, and it wouldn't surprise me that those picks can only be bought from the Sony cash shop.. LOL 

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by expresso

I hope so..  And it will only be a matter of time before we see spoiler sites having a maps of "dig" locations.. I assume it will take "picks" to dig those areas, and it wouldn't surprise me that those picks can only be bought from the Sony cash shop.. LOL 

In the presentation they have said that the world "heals" over time, so if you blow up a bridge or some ruins, it will heal back over time, they have also hinted to the fact that digging will have a "time limit" an example that was given was that after a while an earthquake may happen and the cave gets destroyed and a new layer/layers are generated, I imagine this could simply be solid ground or a new dungeon, smedley also hinted that if a layer or layers go undiscovered for long world events may start hitting or "guide" the players to them.

My hope is that not everywhere will have multiple layers and multiple dungeons as to keep the discovery of them interesting but that they will be able to be spawned anywhere so you can just dig anywhere and may or may not find a place.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

If you have to ask what is innovative about this game you are trying way too hard to bash a game because it has high hype.

Is it what it was hyped up to be?  We really have no idea yet, not enough info has been given and its far from finished.

But a game with migrating NPCs based off their likes/dislikes and player actions is definitely innovative.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

To each their own, no rational person on the planet would have assumed for one second that it would please everyone.

Vindictus had destructable terrain? I thought it was just barrels and props, not terrain. I didn't think you could just start tunneling anywhere down to different tiers of content, but I've never played it so I guess it could. Seems like I would have heard about that though.

I've personally never played a game like the one they've shown, looks like a new combination to me - and for an MMO to have that frame work is pretty cool.

I'm pretty impressed personally, I see a lot of potential for fun. Looks better than I expected so far and unfortunately made a lot of the other games I've been anticipating seem a bit dated..

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

SoE, MMORPG.COM and TenTonhammer said people were going to be blown away and see something they had never seen before.

Vindictus has destructible terrain, the landscaper is just like Minecraft, the combat didn't seem special at all, looked like WoW.

What's so innovative about this title that was going to revolutionalise MMO? Seems like pretty run of the mill to me.

Yeah. With minecraft graphics. With minecraft servers( just 200, and only persistent for a few weeks). With minecraft mobs and AI(do they have even AI).

Truth is... they have a set of tools, which up to now never were presented together to build a sandbox game.

- Voxelbased Engine for full Destructable Terrrain. This including building up Minecraft style++

- Emergent AI behaivor. Like wandering mobs. Reacting environment so to say. Where did we have that one?

- Emote Expression .. ok that one is somewhat old. But not a lot of games have really utilized it. You look into your Webcam, and your avater mimics your Expression. Kinect basic stuff.

- Multiclass system. Basicly somewhat similar like a open skill system. Just with recognizeable Classes. Do whaterver you want. Be whatever you want.

And really. They have just presented Tools. But truth is, with those Tools you can build any imaginable sandbox. It is the core. And everything required for a great sandbox game is available.

I seriously was somewhat sceptical about the "largest sandbox ever" comment. Especially for a game like Everyquest, which was everything but a sandbox. But i am reformed. They have all tools available for a sandbox. Now they have to utilize it, and make a good game out of it.

And there is a lot of work ahead. Like balancing all that stuff.

All the pvp discussion. And now we could discuss again from a different viewpoint. How much do you allow to build and let destroy everything. That is pvp. I am really interested to hear more about EQN.

But now i am thrilled. Before i was just mildly curious and very sceptical.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Most of the people that are hating dont even care about the new kinds of features the game is offering because their too stuck on the fact that they just hate the graphics style and they cant get past that regardless of how cool the other features are.

This whole EQN thing is really interesting to watch. The number of people that are actively looking for reasons to reject or play down the game is incredible. Meanwhile, you get a do-nothing heap of crap by a guy that has proven he has no clue what all is even entailed in what he's talking about creating, and no only does he get a barrage of praise but people throw money at him each time he posts another grub campaign.

What?! Is Dr. Derek Smart on the loose again? Then again, I have never seen him get a barrage of praise before so I might have guessed wrong.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

As far as I'm aware no MMO has pulled that off. Very little of what they showed can rightfully be called a rehash. Whether it is actually fun or good is another question, but it's definitely not a refash of any MMO I'm aware of. 

multiclass - FXIV maybe not on as grand of scale, but still multiclass

we dont know exactly how this is going to work, but having to search the world to discover trainers is something new

destruction - vindictus... again not on as big of scale but same thing

destroying stuff in an instance that resets over and over isnt the same thing

AI - this has been promised time and time again and never delivered not to mention the slew of issues that can arise from trying to structure your AI in this way, simple quests bug out for no good reason and now you're throwing hundreds of variables into the equation.

when the game knows the world, it sets the quests based on whats in the area at the time, you arent going to wonder down that road and have a quest to kill an orc, if the orc has migrated

rallies - rehash of DE / rifts

gimme a break, its like you didnt even watch the preview.  DE/Rifts take 20 mins to and HR max.  Rallies, are something that will last 2-3 months, much like the fun that was had during the AQ gates opening in WOW, that was never repeated, now we have an epic server event that will make my server different from your server fOREVER, not resetting continually, but yah thats not new either 

still just another single player online game, not an MMORPG... have i forgot anything?

I saw a game that looks more fun than anything I have played in the last 15 years, and It looks like something that would be greatly enjoyed with my friends and clansmates

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It's so funny seeing some of you praise EQN's innovation, yet some of you were hating on GW2 for trying to be different and innovative.  Their hypocrisy has no limits.  lol.

GW2 tries to be different, then some of these haters bash it endlessly.

EQN tries to be different, even copying some of GW2's concepts, and it gets praised.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

EQN doesn't have anything innovative, almost all the features that the fans are proclaiming as "innovation" has already been in some form or fashion.  EQN might be the next WoW in the sense that it takes a lot of ideals and molds it into a great MMO.

But EQN has so much to prove it's ridiculous.  How many times have we heard these exact same promises?  How many times have the companies that made these promises fail to deliver or what they deemed as being delivered was underwhelming at best?

The high you put EQN on the pedestal the farther it's gonna fall.  This reeks of GW2 marketing all over again.

I hope for the best for EQN as I am finding all current MMOs blah at best but I'm still waiting to see how they will deliver their said promises.  Arrogance is the downfall of great ideals.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Amylion

[mod edit]

If you can't see that this voxel engine is an outstanding revolutionary achievement in the game technology department then you must be blind beyond hope to a cure!

I am a very experienced when it comes to creating 3D worlds, and even to me there were only a few hints in the Feerrott scene (the "pixelated" structure of the floor at some spots) pointing to the well hidden fact that this isn't a regular hand-crafted scene, but a world fully made out of voxels. So you can imagine that I am really impressed by the outcome, the destructibility, the flexibility, the dynamic... the potential is huge and we've only cast a little glance!

This tech is a quantum leap in game technology.

Before we had either:

1. Beautiful, hand-crafted scenes, but total lack of interactivity, dynamic, flexibility. It was static, boring and dead.

or:

2. Editable, flexible, player-influenced scenes, but with a great lack of visual appeal, because the tech could only render big blocks (sold to the audience by labeling it "retro-style").

Now we have both in one and the same game.

That's a revolution and will change games even beyond the MMORPG genre.

Yours,

Amylion.

Theres plenty of voxel based mmo´s out there which are allready in playable state and they dont call themselves "revolutionary" but for some reason you want to call eqn for that ?

Name one.

Amylion hit it right on the head.

Not only does it lead to a physically-based, destructible world, it's a much easier format for ordinary folks to sculpt with than traditional modeling tools.  Yet it looks fantastic.

Compare to this RPG for a good laugh.   http://www.pixel-issue.net/2011/12/cube-world-voxel-based-rpg/

The smoothing effect on EQ:N voxels was fantastic.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

You can't dig tunnels in Wurm. It's not a voxel engine, it's a heightmap.

Unless they drastically changed their engine recently of course.

Yes you can, you can make access tunnels from scratch, EQN is no where near as complete terraforming as Wurm Online

Oh and i'm a EQ vet and looking forward to playing EQN but don't let the hype take you away because it's not the first mmo that allows terraforming .

You can make a tunnel, but you can't make overlapping tunnels ( or a bridge).  Wurm is 3 height maps:  surface, mine ceiling, and mine floor.   If you dig one tunnel over another they form a drop shaft connecting them.

As awesome as Wurm is, there's a huge difference between surface-based and voxel-based.  I'm frankly amazed at the level of smoothness obtainable with the Landmark engine.

If EQN allows less terraforming than Wurm, it will only be because the devs restrict our behavior, not because the engine isn't capable.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Sorry, i got lost, is this the fight where i must say that EQNext is just doing the same old , same old everybody has been doing for the last five years or the one where i must say they have betrayed the trinity and the lore and succumbed to stupid childification?
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Originally posted by VirgoThree

Originally posted by CalmOceans SoE, MMORPG.COM and TenTonhammer said people were going to be blown away and see something they had never seen before.   I'm watching the videos just now, what are they talking about. Vindictus has destructible terrain, the landscaper is just like Minecraft, the combat didn't seem special at all, looked like WoW. What's so innovative about this title that was going to revolutionalise MMO? Seems like pretty run of the mill to me.
    As far as I'm aware no MMO has pulled that off. Very little of what they showed can rightfully be called a rehash. Whether it is actually fun or good is another question, but it's definitely not a refash of any MMO I'm aware of. 

multiclass - FXIV maybe not on as grand of scale, but still multiclass

destruction - vindictus... again not on as big of scale but same thing

AI - this has been promised time and time again and never delivered not to mention the slew of issues that can arise from trying to structure your AI in this way, simple quests bug out for no good reason and now you're throwing hundreds of variables into the equation.

rallies - rehash of DE / rifts

still just another single player online game, not an MMORPG... have i forgot anything?

I am affraid you hit the facts right up.
    Once you look trough the honeymoon moments and dig trough the presentation many things are (borrowed) from already excisting mmo and poured into a new jacket.
    While some stuff did look insanely epic, many more thigs i disgust :(

8 action skill bars......ffs pls no more :(

100 men zerg boss battles....been there done that on GW2 / Rift :(

cartoony characters....i can dig it, but iam not to happy about another cartoon styled mmo again.

No mention of pvp....makes me very worried that it will be another WoW / GW2 / Rift copy paste battleground / instance crapped bot or zerg incarnation.

I think these are my biggest concerns with the presentation.
    After all the words from the intervieuwers who where present at E3 i expected a totaly new platform of mmo design.

Something that realy wasnt created before, but it turned out not to be that.

Maybe we jump to conclusion to fast, but many of us played mmo's for around 2 decades now....
    We have seen mmo's come and go in rapid succesion, and we all taught EQN would just blow us away on every level you could think off.

I realy had the feeling of looking to a action rpg solo game more then a immersive mmo.

But i still hope EQN can prove me wrong, but to many oh god no moments occured already and that will make it very hard for them to turn me over to a pinked dressed 6 year old ready to be taken to candyland. and i ment this in a good way !!!!!!

im glad someone else can see through the spoonfed crap they delivered to us while diverting our attention with pretty pictures... and for all of you clinging to the fact that voxel engine is completely revolutionary and a massive technological advance... you saw a tech demo where they literally put 1 hole in the ground and blew up a bridge... hate to burst your bubble but that doesnt mean that the whole world is destructible.. that also means that if the world is completely destructable it's going to open a whole lot more problems for users not to mention performance issues running a completely open world filled with voxels...

after seeing the panels.. hate to tell you but the class system basically looks like GW2 rehashed with some paint on the top of it, which they also diverted away from showing more pretty pictures, player created dungeons is just lazy.. to be honest the fact that rallies last for months instead of minutes just makes me believe they have a lack of end game content to offer so they need months worth of filler while they get it up to scratch, also i'd like to point out the fact that they seem to just be spitting out ideas they have and at this point shown nothing in regards to all these features you guys seem to think are revolutionary... the fact of the matter is giving mobs roaming abilities opens up a tonne of variables for problems, the simplest quests in mmo's these days bug out for the smallest of reasons, now your getting mobs to roam around based off arrays of variables and generating quest givers on the fly with unlimited variables to where the mobs locate themselves too, at the end of the day "intelligent AI" has been promised many times and never delivered.. as for the world remembering every choice you make, i seem to remember mass effect series having that too... until it didnt, the game is a very long way from release and i'm interested to see where they will go with it, but i'd more then likely be expecting massive design changes over the next few months.