Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad things first: Get rid of those character models!

124»

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by alyosha17
    Originally posted by Grailer

If they made them realistic 2 things would happen .

1.  Oh noes they made a Secret World clone

2. Five years from now we would be saying how outdated the characters look . Mickey mouse is ageless right .

That being said the Kerran looks stupid lol . But hey no one is forced to play that race . 

3 years ago they released FFXIV.  Now they've downgraded the graphics considerably and people still say the graphics are good. 

So  I think your "In 5 years time" is a little off.

Also, it's better than having people saying the graphics are crap ALREADY.  Also, TSW never had good graphics and certainly never had good character models unless you like elongated humanoids with fish-faces and asthmatic shoulders.

I wouldnt call FFXIV realistic.  Its more of a balance between square-enix's Anime style and slight realism.  Because it is very colorful and vibrant when it comes to texture like a pure stylized graphics but the characters and armor models shape and proportions are closer to realistic

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60
    The vocal minority is always complaining about something. I think the models look great, beside SOE wont change anything just because some think they should use skyrim models.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by wesmo
    The vocal minority is always complaining about something. I think the models look great, beside SOE wont change anything just because some think they should use skyrim models.

Let me guess anyone who doesn't like something you do is the vocal minority

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Originally posted by wesmo

Let me guess anyone who doesn't like something you do is the vocal minority

The point is that more than 1 billion people from China through Korea to Japan and other 1 billion people from NA to Europe have already proven that the market for stylized graphics is massive. 

As an individual you might not like it but you do belong to a minority as proven by sales numbers (from WoW to Lineage etc).

Personally I also like Skyrim models more but have no problem with the more cartoony graphics of WoW or EQN either.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Personally I did not find it that bad either, althought I will admit I did not like WoW graphics in the least and really can't understand why that game was so popular!! 

But I was looking more at the environments rather than the character models.  I don't really care about the char models as much as the environment.  You toon is just that thing in the middle swinging the sword or whatever.  If he looks a little ridiculous well that's not a huge turnoff as long as I have other things to look at.  And a lot of the other things looked ok !  To me.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• amazingpaladinamazingpaladin Member Posts: 1
    Cartoony art styles tend to age better. That said I still don't like the models.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

That's why I only gave the presentation a 8/10. I'm not 100% convinced about the playercharacters. They looked VERY out-of-place when put into that semi-realistic world. IF the world looked more like it does in Wildstar, the characters would blend in a lot better. Not saying I would want that, just saying.

They took the semi-realistic Planetside2 graphics and put in a very Disney-like Wildstar character. I'm sort of confused tbh.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by DMKano

It looks nothing like EQ - if you showed the EQN footage to somebody who played eq1 and eq2 and have fallen into a coma until the reveal - they would never even for 1 second think that what they saw had anything to do with Everquest.

I am appalled at the art direction in EQN - yes art direction not graphics.

Heck even the audience was very reluctant to clap when they said this is what Firiona looks like in game - awkward.

i am still in disbelief that lion king, and the atrocious bulky armor look is actually the art direction???????

Completely agree.  This game is NOT Everquest in the slightest...I wish they hadn't even tried to tie it into the Everquest world and instead called it something completely different with it's own IP.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Sephastus

If "graphics" are the only thing you have against this game, then boy are you being petty. The reveal has shown much more than even I was expecting. Yet people want to gripe about graphics?

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>graphics.

Hell, give me a craptastic looking chess game, and a super expensive 24k gold-leaf covered turd on a stick, and tell me which one you have more fun playing with.

The gameplay looked like crap too...it's looked like playing Mortal Combat.  The only thing I liked was the way the world is built and the AI.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Omg the art is not some fake plastic EQ2 model or blocky characters from 1999.  This game is obviously not EQ due to that one fact alone!  /boggle

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

You are telling me, you want this ^  art style?

This is less disney than the current eqn? This is mature?

This is not cartoony? You played everquest at all?

• Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by kuujo

You are telling me, you want this ^  art style?

This is less disney than the current eqn? This is mature?

This is not cartoony? You played everquest at all?

Snipped the pictures for brevity.

Cartoony or not - you know what the big difference is? Compare the PCs to the world around them. They fit. Same colorations, same lighting, same brightness - all of it.

Now do the same thing with the EQN presentation. Those PCs do NOT look like they are part of that world. They are bright and vivid against a semi-realistic, highly-nuanced landscape.

I can totally get behind an art style where everything fits. But it is incredibly jarring to be ripped out of the "belief" of the world every time you look at your own character.

I've said it in another post - I do like the character models. I really do. But I do not like them in this EQ world, because they outright do not fit. And to be clear, I'd rather have the char models fit the world as we saw, I do not want the world changed to fit the char models. :P

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    So far i like the character models. What I believe they are going for is longevity, and using an ultra realistic style can become outdated fast.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• Rippley05Rippley05 Member Posts: 13

Character models are garbage. This game is not only obviously geared towards young kids, but it is also made to have more success on a console. Lame hack-n-slash cornball combat with a zillion classes that only have a handful of attacks, that's PS4 which is extremely unfortunate. 

Disney presents, World of EverCraft. This game isn't gonna make it, at all. Sorry

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by DMKano

It looks nothing like EQ - if you showed the EQN footage to somebody who played eq1 and eq2 and have fallen into a coma until the reveal - they would never even for 1 second think that what they saw had anything to do with Everquest.

I am appalled at the art direction in EQN - yes art direction not graphics.

Heck even the audience was very reluctant to clap when they said this is what Firiona looks like in game - awkward.

i am still in disbelief that lion king, and the atrocious bulky armor look is actually the art direction???????

Makes two of us.  I thought I was looking at WoW2 not EQN.  

Oh you didn't know?  They are renaming the game to "Everquest Next World of Warcraft".

Character models are absolutely terrible.  If I wanted something that looks like it came out of a cereal box I would play Free Realms, Hello Kitty Online Adventure, or World of Warcraft.

-----

Que an item shop full of fluffy cuddly pets, sparkly mounts, and candy drop costumes.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

This discussion has been closed.