Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO." - per Terry Michaels

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

They should have said they were making a children's MMO right off the bat.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I still have hopes - and even if it doesnt happen, not a show stopper for me

http://eqn.junkiesnation.com/2013/08/02/eq-next-world-of-eqn/

Are considering different ruleset servers such as a hardcore server.  Nothing decided.

Death penalty not decided (related to ruleset servers).

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

so its going to be accessible and easy mode like WoW and just about everything after it..

good lordy Im so glad this game isnt charging money off the bat.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Nadia

I still have hopes - and even if it doesnt happen, not a show stopper for me

http://eqn.junkiesnation.com/2013/08/02/eq-next-world-of-eqn/

Are considering different ruleset servers such as a hardcore server.  Nothing decided.

Death penalty not decided (related to ruleset servers).

Be realistic, I see how much you post and how much you've put into EQ2, I'm betting you played EQ1 too; probably a raider, at that. You know how EQN is going to go without even playing it, and yes, for people like us it's a show-stopper, whether or not you're a paid cooperate shill or just someone with ungodly amounts of free time like myself.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Yeah, shame on SOE for wanting a commercially viable product! After all, they do have a responsibility to provide "hardcore" nolifers with the game of their dreams.

You know, a game can be "hardcore" (meaning complex, difficult, and rewarding time investment) and yet accesible. For example, the core game mechanics and basic features can be simple and intuitive while high-end content is hard and demanding. A player can then chose which level of difficulty he/she wants to engage.

But I guess some people still think "hardcore" = long grind + harsh death penalties + tedious mechanics that anyone with a life and a job will shun, and if a game does not abide by those 1999 design standards it is to be considered a kid's game and a WoW clone.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

I have no problem with a game large enough to be both enjoyable by many and hardcore for those who want that.

There is absolutely no reason they can not be both, Darkfall and Clone wars adventures are not the only two models. Old UO was as hard as you could get but still had people playing farmers and bards and crafters and such. I see no reason why a game could not be both. To use the rally point example they employed why couldn't a less devoted more time strapped more crafter oriented player not be able to have fun rebuilding (or building) the wall of the city, running small attacks on the goblins in the surrounding woods and maybe doing some gathering while the more hard core crowd delves deep into the underground area (I am so tempted to call it the underdark for some reason) dealing with larger more group oriented deadlier combat with larger rewards for the larger amount of time and effort needed?

Or there could be large hardcore elements completely outside the rally point system, which some people seem to have forgotten are month long events with multiple elements.

We still dont know anything about PvP which could in and of itself be a hardcore experience...or not.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I see it as Wildstar + GW2  with minecraft salad on the side.

I'm thinking TESO is in a better place after the reveal, I was ready to see TESO get overshadowed and utterly destroyed based on the hype, but it's looking like an ES game with a nice big overworld to explore. And the best part is that you get to explore the other faction's zones once you hit level cap. Usually developers waste leveling zones by giving them no point once capped, but opening them up for play at cap is a great way to keep them populated and alive.

The combat seems more actiony than GW2 though, so far it looks like it'll feel like Vindictus / SMITE. And I'm with the people who say that we'll get tired of the destructible environments. I know it was a tech demo, but I can't imagine playing a game where the entire screen is covered with debris and plumes of smoke every time I use an ability.

Also, they really really stretched the definition of "parkour". Vaulting over objects and sliding instead of just falling is cool . . . but it's automatic which means I can't actually do any tricks. When they said parkour I was imagining some freeform combat system and almost had tight pants, but then they're like, "Look at her vault over this medium sized rock while you run forward." That's not a feature, that's an animation.

That would be like playing assassin's creed, but instead of focusing on perfect timing and chaining maneuvers together, you just hold the thumbsitck forward and go over everything in your way.

I think EQN's biggest problem . . . is that it's not coming out next week. If they have another year+ of development time on this, I'm kinda afraid that it's just not that impressive. Even Revival is sounding pretty good right now. Wildstar is in Beta, TESO is in Beta, Blizz is going to announce D3 xpac soon and I'm sure Titan within another year. Meanwhile, GW2 already has dynamic events, their dev team is working fast to push content out and if they decide to implement a building tool it's going to be pretty dang similar. Really, they already have the major world changing events - mostly done through phasing personal story, but the living world allows for global events to permanently alter the game and be one-ofs.

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

Without getting into the semantics of what constitutes hardcore.. I think EQN can be "challenging" and fun to play without being hardcore.  Terry Michaels comment is subjective to his point of view of what he considers hardcore.

I think there are a few "hardcore" MMO's out there right now.  Darkfall comes to mind.  And maybe Mortal Online.

And any number of Asian MMO's past and present.

None of them have had much success beyond a niche market.  You know why?  Cause people are dicks.  If you give them a hardcore game where they can troll/gank in game at will they will do it.  Not many want to play a hardcore game, at least the definition of what most feel hardcore is in today's MMO.

I cut my hardcore teeth on Darktide in Asheron's Call.  A true PVP'ers servers.  I was there from launch, and through all the shadow wars when you actually lost hard acquired gear.  I know hardcore.  Most gamers do not want this type of game play.  it makes folks rage.  We don't need more rage, we need less.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Biskop

Yeah, shame on SOE for wanting a commercially viable product! After all, they do have a responsibility to provide "hardcore" nolifers with the game of their dreams.You know, a game can be "hardcore" (meaning complex, difficult, and rewarding time investment) and yet accesible. For example, the core game mechanics and basic features can be simple and intuitive while high-end content is hard and demanding. A player can then chose which level of difficulty he/she wants to engage.But I guess some people still think "hardcore" = long grind + harsh death penalties + tedious mechanics that anyone with a life and a job will shun, and if a game does not abide by those 1999 design standards it is to be considered a kid's game and a WoW clone. 
    Precisely. Why cant hardcore gamers get ONE game? As if the trivial noob themepark game cash grab hasnt been don ohh dozens of times already?
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Yeah, shame on SOE for wanting a commercially viable product! After all, they do have a responsibility to provide "hardcore" nolifers with the game of their dreams.

You know, a game can be "hardcore" (meaning complex, difficult, and rewarding time investment) and yet accesible. For example, the core game mechanics and basic features can be simple and intuitive while high-end content is hard and demanding. A player can then chose which level of difficulty he/she wants to engage.

But I guess some people still think "hardcore" = long grind + harsh death penalties + tedious mechanics that anyone with a life and a job will shun, and if a game does not abide by those 1999 design standards it is to be considered a kid's game and a WoW clone.

how often does it turn out that way?

• AvengorikAvengorik Member Posts: 15

Well we wont see any exp lost, or level lost or body recovery this would cause too many people to riot and cry!

I remember starting plane of fear a night at level 50 and finishing at level 46 with the urge to get my body back since your body would go bye bye with all your stuff if you didnt get it back in 24 hours of gameplay.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Margulis

Here is the link to the interview where he says this:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/everquest-nexts-terry-michaels-you-wont-get-snake-skins-coming-from-gnolls-

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.  And Terry has his.  Who knows what Terry's opinion on what hardcore means?

The comment "I would not call this game a hardcore MMO" is an opinion.  I rather look at what facts devs are saying.

Like when they said no more exclamation marks above npc's heads.  no more "signs" on where to go.  The fact you have to just go and explore and ask around and investigate to do stuff seems like a hardcore feature to me.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Call me crazy..

heck Ill call myself crazy.

But I already know at the very least Ill be trying this game. I cant lose on this one.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

not surprising at all.

Look at the combat skills - facerolling AE into enemies, there is no pulling and splitting mob mechanic in EQN (like classic EQ1). dodge out of red circles and AE spam the mobs.

EQN will not be a hard game like eq1 - it will be easy mode.

Granted this could change but from the looks of AE skills, I expect EZ mode game.

Yes because ever class will have just two skills and npc's will stand there and do nothing and have no AI, and big NPC will just constantly cast one spell over and over and over again when this game is released.  I take it you never seen a MMO in development before?

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Avengorik

Well we wont see any exp lost, or level lost or body recovery this would cause too many people to riot and cry!

I remember starting plane of fear a night at level 50 and finishing at level 46 with the urge to get my body back since your body would go bye bye with all your stuff if you didnt get it back in 24 hours of gameplay.

What in that constitutes hard?

Those are merely consequences of failure, but in no way mean it was challenging (which it wasn't that hard).  The hardest thing at that time was figuring out the mechanics because it wasn't all old-hat, as it is now.  I would love a challenging MMO, but inconveniences aren't challenging, the only thing they challenge is my patience.

The fact remains that you can only really please the 'hardcore' of us with PvP/PK as the typical AI will always become predictable.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by jerlot65

not surprising at all.

Look at the combat skills - facerolling AE into enemies, there is no pulling and splitting mob mechanic in EQN (like classic EQ1). dodge out of red circles and AE spam the mobs.

Granted this could change but from the looks of AE skills, I expect EZ mode game.

Yes because ever class will have just two skills and npc's will stand there and do nothing and have no AI, and big NPC will just constantly cast one spell over and over and over again when this game is released.  I take it you never seen a MMO in development before?

I take it you've never seen Smedley ruin games before?

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

You sound like the whiners that would cry back in 1999 because they couldn't get what a raider could after only playing an hour or so night.  A very wise man once said,"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."  You may have heard of him, he was very charismatic, was responsible for guiding hundreds of men, and has a trophy named after him.  His name was Vince Lombardi.  

You want the badass stuff?  Here's an idea, work for it.  Earn it.  It is meaningless if you don't have to achieve something to get it though.  But what am I saying, this game is about horizontal progression.  There are red boxes on the ground to telegraph to the learning impaired that they need to get out of the way or get smacked.  You can finally be a tank/healer/DPS/nuker all at the same time!  Looks like SOE got tired of the whining children throwing tantrums and caved so they will STFU.

i only hope they finally listen and change a few things.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/everquest-nexts-terry-michaels-you-wont-get-snake-skins-coming-from-gnolls-

The comment "I would not call this game a hardcore MMO" is an opinion.  I rather look at what facts devs are saying.

Terry Michaels is the senior producer of EQNext.

Originally posted by Kiyoris

Ya? He's human right?

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

pwnd

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224

not surprising at all.

How do u know? Have u played the game? They clearly haven't revealed everything of the game yet.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

It certainly looked easy, and that was my biggest concern about playing.

While in this interview he said he wouldn't consider it hard core there were a few comments in other dev interviews where they did talk about harder to kill mobs. They mentioned that crushbone wouldn't be entered by a group that hoped to live, or many of the dragons lairs.

Asdar

Originally posted by CallsignVega

Precisely. Why cant hardcore gamers get ONE game? As if the trivial noob themepark game cash grab hasnt been don ohh dozens of times already?

Who are these "hardcore gamers"? The ones who are able to spend ridiculous amounts of time on a game, or just people who enjoy a challenge and having to use their brain once in a while while playing a game?

I mean, I certainly belong in the latter category, but I'm also not in the position where I can spend 10 hours a day in a computer game. I think a lot of gamers are in a similar position; they're sick to death of the current generation of dumbed-downed themeparks, but they don't want a return to the primitive "hardcore" nineties design of endless grinds and masochist gameplay either. With today's technology and the lessons learned from two decades of MMO design, devs should be able to make games that are easy to access and learn but difficult to master.

Also, companies does not owe you anything. Large companies go after the money, and unforgiving game mechanics that require players to invest insane amounts of time does not make a proftable game.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by velmax

not surprising at all.

How do u know? Have u played the game? They clearly haven't revealed everything of the game yet.

Also people don't seem to understand how demo's like this work they were demonstrating the tech and so make things easy because they don't need to characters dying and pausing the demo.Not to mention that a lot of the mobs clearly had no AI and were just fodder.Judging the difficulty of the final game from what was shown is an exercise in foolishness.

Now the game may turn out to be everything you and I fear but you can't tell from what was shown.

Originally posted by Latronus

You sound like the whiners that would cry back in 1999 because they couldn't get what a raider could after only playing an hour or so night.  A very wise man once said,"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."  You may have heard of him, he was very charismatic, was responsible for guiding hundreds of men, and has a trophy named after him.  His name was Vince Lombardi.  

You want the badass stuff?  Here's an idea, work for it.  Earn it.  It is meaningless if you don't have to achieve something to get it though.  But what am I saying, this game is about horizontal progression.  There are red boxes on the ground to telegraph to the learning impaired that they need to get out of the way or get smacked.  You can finally be a tank/healer/DPS/nuker all at the same time!  Looks like SOE got tired of the whining children throwing tantrums and caved so they will STFU.

i only hope they finally listen and change a few things.

And you sound like someone who's living in the past.

I'm not opposed to challenge and having to earn things in games. What I'm saying is that a game can be accessible and challenging at the same time. There is not need for it to be a second job where you "earn" stuff by grinding PvE mobs for hours, days, weeks and months.

The challenge can come in many forms; building things in the world, becoming rich through crafting and trade, completing difficult "detective"-like quests, finding hard-to-reach places through smart exploration, and of course PvP, territory control, and player politics. None of these things exclude simple core mechanics and easy-to-learn gameplay.