Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on the Quakecon 2013 gameplay footage?

2»

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I thought it looked great and looks almost exactly what one would expect of an online Elder Scrolls Game. The combat to me looked great, the environments looked fantastic, the animations have improved a lot since the horrible leaked videos, I didn't see in the combat everything just standing around in one place, the detail of the NPCs was fantastic, voice overs for everything, class choices, weapon choices, skill direction choices...all I saw was lots of choices. I saw what looked like a pretty robust character creation screen. Considering the game is at least 8 months away, it looks far more along than other games like SWTOR did at the same point. Stupid comments above like distance, etc....I mean..its 8 months+ from release...optimizations will improve on everything drastically by then from a draw distance, pop up, etc perspective. Some of you will never be happy. I watched it with one of my friends who never played an MMO and loves Skyrim. His reaction was "I'm not used to seeing any buttons at the bottom, but I'm excited that I finally get to play with others. Can't wait". I think a lot of others are going to feel the same. Still lots of room for improvement though.

There Is Always Hope!

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

WHYYYYY  are the enemies have this glowing aura around them???  Immersionbreaking as hell!

04:38

Sure, something should be there ofcourse so that you know what "mob" you are fighting against but this.....

• BroshiBroshi Member Posts: 8

All in All I liked it.

There were a few issues with the animations but nothing that really bothered me and can't be fixed. Ie: clunky animations, saw a disembodied arm a few times during 1st person view, firing an empty bow(no arrows showed up as nick drew his bow at one or two points). That stabbing animation while nick was duel wielding a mace and sword just looked stupid. But like I said, I can deal with it.

I did like the look of the game its not as beautiful as say skyrim (especially not graphically modded skyrim) but the look did feel right and not even the slight variations on the monsters really bugged me. The compass with points of interest is good. The way they implemented fast travel is good. Discovering new places and allowing you to travel to them, yes please. Books are readable. You can loot and pick up anthing you see. I like the mundus stones and sky shard implementation. I like the look of the skills and how they could level up and morph. However,  I still want to be able to use any branch of magic and skills with any character and supposedly you can but didn't see it in that video.

Some questions I have. Nick's Dunmer Templar was using skills with no cool downs as advertised, except for his ultimate which appeared to have a cool down, and it was draining his magika but how does his magika recover? Was he quick bar consuming potions? Was he using a mana recovering skill skill or enchantment? or does it just return slowly over time? His magika bar would drain but then jump back up in blocks, so I am curious about that.

They boasted about being able to build off of your team mates skills ( the oil being lit on fire, whirlwind attack + mage fire = fireballs flinging out of a warrior flame tornado and the such) but i didn't really see that. Is that still part of the game?

Roaming intelligent npcs. To me it seemed that the enemy npcs just kind of sat in the same place and were not in fact roaming about.

They said that the various mundus stone enchantments "Last a long time" does that mean they are in fact limited and that you have to go back and refresh them after a set amount of time? or are they permanent but you can change them as it suits your needs?

Soul gems being used to resurrect fallen players. I'm okay with that but are you still able to use them for enchanting? or has enchanting been completely revamped?

I have some more questions and the such but hell I don't feel like typing a novel right now.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Their main problem so far is that the quality of the stream and subsequent footage on youtube was kinda crap and lots of artifacts were present when watching at 1080p. The second problem is the aesthetics. I just felt like words "I'm BLAND!!!" and "50 Shades of Brown" were screaming at me all the time. Even the red outline on enemies felt dull and tired. Just 2 cents.

Too bad this will never change since Zenimax refuses to consider the use of Armor Dye's to spruce up the ambiance and color palate.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Broshi

All in All I liked it.

There were a few issues with the animations but nothing that really bothered me and can't be fixed. Ie: clunky animations, saw a disembodied arm a few times during 1st person view, firing an empty bow(no arrows showed up as nick drew his bow at one or two points). That stabbing animation while nick was duel wielding a mace and sword just looked stupid. But like I said, I can deal with it.

I did like the look of the game its not as beautiful as say skyrim (especially not graphically modded skyrim) but the look did feel right and not even the slight variations on the monsters really bugged me. The compass with points of interest is good. The way they implemented fast travel is good. Discovering new places and allowing you to travel to them, yes please. Books are readable. You can loot and pick up anthing you see. I like the mundus stones and sky shard implementation. I like the look of the skills and how they could level up and morph. However,  I still want to be able to use any branch of magic and skills with any character and supposedly you can but didn't see it in that video.

Some questions I have. Nick's Dunmer Templar was using skills with no cool downs as advertised, except for his ultimate which appeared to have a cool down, and it was draining his magika but how does his magika recover? Was he quick bar consuming potions? Was he using a mana recovering skill skill or enchantment? or does it just return slowly over time? His magika bar would drain but then jump back up in blocks, so I am curious about that.

They boasted about being able to build off of your team mates skills ( the oil being lit on fire, whirlwind attack + mage fire = fireballs flinging out of a warrior flame tornado and the such) but i didn't really see that. Is that still part of the game?

Roaming intelligent npcs. To me it seemed that the enemy npcs just kind of sat in the same place and were not in fact roaming about.

They said that the various mundus stone enchantments "Last a long time" does that mean they are in fact limited and that you have to go back and refresh them after a set amount of time? or are they permanent but you can change them as it suits your needs?

Soul gems being used to resurrect fallen players. I'm okay with that but are you still able to use them for enchanting? or has enchanting been completely revamped?

I have some more questions and the such but hell I don't feel like typing a novel right now.

You could see the combo's popping up periodically during the fight.  They showed up as a blue icon with an x on it (I assume to press x to activate?) just above the skill bar.  As has been said, combos have to be manually activated, which I like.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Any game where I have to aim a cursor on screen gets a no thanks from me. I watched a little bit of the video but not much. Looked average at best.
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    I think ESO looks much better then EQNext, and even though I'll be playing FFXIV ARR full time I will defenetly buy ESO and play some cause it looked the same like the offline ones Oblivion/Skyrim.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Mannish
    Any game where I have to aim a cursor on screen gets a no thanks from me. I watched a little bit of the video but not much. Looked average at best.

I'm surprised to hear that since Tera seems to be your second most played gamed on Raptr

Don't play TERA anymore for that very reason. The combat just got dull afther I got higher in level.

• BroshiBroshi Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi
    Originally posted by Broshi

All in All I liked it.

You could see the combo's popping up periodically during the fight.  They showed up as a blue icon with an x on it (I assume to press x to activate?) just above the skill bar.  As has been said, combos have to be manually activated, which I like.

AH, so that was what that X to activate skill was. That's a pretty cool dynamic and I like the option to say yes or no to it as well.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    HUGE letdown.... maybe EQN can rescue my day

Thats what I was saying about TESO after watching EQN.  IMO the TESO combat looks 1000% better than EQN.  But then EQN is probably still in way earlier stage.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I liked it, looks/plays like skyrim but with coop. Skill bar to throw a little more flavor into combat. Good enough for me, nonthin fancy.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I'm surprised to hear that since Tera seems to be your second most played gamed on Raptr

Don't play TERA anymore for that very reason. The combat just got dull afther I got higher in level.

You don't say? That is the impression most people got in NA/EU/JP/KR when the game released in each region respectively. What I find confusing is that you white knighted the hell out of that game like it was "almost" the second coming or something.

@LlexX and Denambren.

Pretty much in agreement with both comments. I'm still going to try out the game whenever the next set of invites come along, but I don't see myself investing in this game unless the lore is spectacular.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

If you're going to showcase gameplay footage play at daytime ffs!

I realise how early in development this game is but bajeezus the animation, combat, overall feel is just off. Combat felt weightless, boring.

O_o o_O

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

This feels like GW2 vol 2 to me. Anyone else find it funny how they put skill points in the world for you to find, and discovering locations/waypoints is rewarded with xp same as in GW2. If they are trying to make content out of those 'activities' then you can pretty much expect the same gameplay depth (or lack of it) as GW2. 

NPC animations felt awkward. As soon as he stepped into their aggro circle, they were instantaneously attacking him. No taunting talk or surprise over a suddenly appeared opponent. They were just instantly on him. Drop dead animations executed way too quickly.

Enemy NPCs felt more like robots waiting to be killed, instead of feeling like real characters in the world, with a life of their own.

Also they are taking development shortcuts with things like homing arrows/fireballs. There's no point in having first person view if all your attacks will hit your currently selected target, regardless of your bad aim. This pretty much sums up all themepark games. They take every possible shortcut to get their steaming pile of copy/paste turd out as fast as possible, to start cashing in on hyped up people.

GW2 is and will remain the final themepark MMO I'll ever buy.

• LorimarLorimar Member UncommonPosts: 9

I'm kinda disappointed with the way the "superawesome" AI that they've been boasting about turned out. Basically it was a script of 2 mobs combining 2 spells and a npc-healer which we're familiar with since WoW vanilla.

The rest was kinda... standard... I guess. I'm gonna try it out none the less.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Amazing combat. Finally we can have true mmorpg on the market. Everything what i want is in this game
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I'll be honest: combat looked much better than the clips we had seen a few months ago. Still the overall game design, with the instancing and phasing and locked territory is a No-go for me.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Hmm many people complaining about not having fancy animation, for example: shooting a bow everything lighs up and shines the whole area in an very unrealistic way, this is what other games has currently.

Elderscrolls never had this fancy animation... okay the elementalist skills are like this a bit, but else it alway was about simple slashing and blocking. So why should they change their style just to satisfy some casual mmo gamer, maybe they wanted to keep their rpg fans?

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I'd still take a 4-32 player run server version of Skyrim over this... thank you!
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Before this gameplay video I was more cynic about the overall gameplay. But I liked what I saw last night. I got a better impression than GuildWars 2 since I really don't want the fast-paced MMORPG with pure buttonmashing. But I'm not hyped either as I was for GuildWars 2, which is pretty good imo.

Yesterday, I didn't expect a game which will be released tomorrow to be honest. Impact shaking on hit and little things like those could be implemented pretty easy I think.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

combat animations and players/npc/mod animations looked a bit laggy. i really dint liked bow combat animations, they not smooth as in Skyrim. it was kinda rushed dungeon.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What i saw was an MMO with an ESO feeling about it... They cant be serious about blending these elements so seemlesly.

No game ever was meant to be perfect for everyone, this video however got this game back straight on my radar..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

- bad animations (truly bethesda worthy) they should replace their animation people.
    - too many brown and grey tones
    - no feedback from npc after getting hit
    - horse riding looked really awkward
    - 0815 dungeon run *zzZZzzZZz*
    - heavy focus on consoles, i really would like to see the full UI but i have a bad feeling about this

btw is it possible that all the arrows were homing in on the target? Does it mean aiming doesn't mean anything in the end?

I really hope this MMO doesn't break Bethesda financial neck, i would like to see a Fallout 4 :/.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Well i think its save to say that its not like the single player Elder Scrolls games.

The dungeon we saw was just so much cooler prettier and story heavier than any dungeon you ever played in a Single player Elder Scrolls game.

The Combat felt way better than the Single Player version as well since we have more options for abilities but not too many so that it would turn into work.

We didn't see much about exploration we were told we can go explore but we really will have to wait and see how it turns out.

Graphics were ok i did like the look of the leather armor during character creation had a very natural look to it character looked ok but not amazing (guess that's the same as the single player game XD) the world however was really nice and the overall art style was settled and not too trippy/cartoony like most other games seem to be now a days.

Overall i was pleasantly surprised and will be looking forward to more news.