Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I hope EQN succeeds.

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistPosts: 2,240Member Uncommon

Simply because they are the first large company to give us most of what we have been begging for for so long! And because they had the sense to allow us to help build the thing (hopefully that doesn't turn into us being taken advantage of down the road). Thank you SOE, for listening and I hope your success means other large companies will follow your lead. FYI check my history, I called it yo!

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 In cyberspaaaaaacePosts: 2,553Member Uncommon
    Now just watch SOE steal Blizzards thunder and the millions of subscribers. Ha, that'll be the day.
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Everson, WAPosts: 162Member
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Now just watch SOE steal Blizzards thunder and the millions of subscribers. Ha, that'll be the day.

History repeats itself. Man, wouldn't that be something? Watch, that'll be how Titan ends up, hah!

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 In cyberspaaaaaacePosts: 2,553Member Uncommon
    We shall see. EQ2N vs "Titan" will be an interesting competition.
  • hulgarhulgar madridPosts: 93Member
    We shall see. EQ2N vs "Titan" will be an interesting competition.

for the tittle of ·bigger dissapointment of the century?"--im with you in that

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Highlands Ranch, COPosts: 102Member
    Originally posted by Tierless

Simply because they are the first large company to give us most of what we have been begging for for so long! And because they had the sense to allow us to help build the thing (hopefully that doesn't turn into us being taken advantage of down the road). Thank you SOE, for listening and I hope your success means other large companies will follow your lead. FYI check my history, I called it yo!

YES, thank you.  Somebody who understands what's up.  Well said, sir.

• kruluxkrulux Atlanta - South, GAPosts: 229Member

Agreed Tierless.  If EQN would have been revealed as more of the same I would be looking to get out of the mmo ratonga race.  Was very pleased with everything I saw today.  EQN will be an excellent experience with echoes of the old days, and I hope what are good hardcore gameplay rules.  But to me, the LandMark reveal was the coup-de-gras... the ability for us to play in the sand and then submit and even sale our creations - genius!

!!!===== Rant=Warning=====May=Cause=Burns======Rant=Warning=====!!!

With that said, I can hardly read these forums for all the narrow minded, pessimistic, jaded, cynical and self important trolls that spew forth hate because the reveal was not exactly what they wanted.  How petty have we become that we blast SOE and the devs personally because EQN was not a tired and outdated EQ3 fail model.  These folks have worked hard on this project for years, and some of you trash all over it one day.  /cry me a river children!

I have no problem with constructive criticism, but a number of the long-time posters - WHO KNOW BETTER - are outright hating on the game because of how the graphics look?  Please, get over yourselves.. the graphics are more that satisfactory for what they dreamed EQN to be. 

Finally, for those utterly brain-dead trolls that think what we saw during the reveal was not a MMO game changer from this point forward... please do us that like it a favor and LEAVE.  Don't come back, we won't miss you.

/end rant

Pro tip:  EQN is going to be huge.  They are giving us the tools to help them CREATE the game.  If EQN fails, we have only ourselves to blame.

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,905Member Uncommon

Originally posted by krulux
    Originally posted by Tierless Simply because they are the first large company to give us most of what we have been begging for for so long! And because they had the sense to allow us to help build the thing (hopefully that doesn't turn into us being taken advantage of down the road). Thank you SOE, for listening and I hope your success means other large companies will follow your lead. FYI check my history, I called it yo!
    Agreed Tierless.  If EQN would have been revealed as more of the same I would be looking to get out of the mmo ratonga race.  Was very pleased with everything I saw today.  EQN will be an excellent experience with echoes of the old days, and I hope what are good hardcore gameplay rules.  But to me, the LandMark reveal was the coup-de-gras... the ability for us to play in the sand and then submit and even sale our creations - genius!

With that said, I can hardly read these forums for all the narrow minded, pessimistic, jaded, cynical and self important trolls that spew forth hate because the reveal was not exactly what they wanted.  How petty have we become that we blast SOE and the devs personally because EQN was not a tired and outdated EQ3 fail model.  These folks have worked hard on this project for years, and some of you trash all over it one day.  /cry me a river children!

I have no problem with constructive criticism, but a number of the long-time posters - WHO KNOW BETTER - are outright hating on the game because of how the graphics look?  Please, get over yourselves.. the graphics are more that satisfactory for what they dreamed EQN to be. 

Finally, for those utterly brain-dead trolls that think what we saw during the reveal was not a MMO game changer from this point forward... please do us that like it a favor and LEAVE.  Don't come back, we won't miss you.

/end rant

Pro tip:  EQN is going to be huge.  They are giving us the tools to help them CREATE the game.  If EQN fails, we have only ourselves to blame.

you were expecting people not to complain the instant any info was released? you know you are at mmorpg.com forums, right?

that said the graphics complaint is a very valid one. look at TESO, people complain that game looks nothing like ES LOL

EQN is far far worse in that regard, it looks nothing like everquest and everyone is supposed to be happy about that?

the rest of the game does look like it could be amazing but damn those cartoon graphics :(

• NadiaNadia Topsham, MainePosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

I'm an old school EQer too from back in 1999, everyone has different tastes

I am excited for what I've been told so far, moreso than details of any past mmo

I don't care if EQN gets mass appeal - it appeals to me

for disappointed gamers, hope you find a game you like

I am confident I have found my home in EQNext

• zevni78zevni78 grimsbyPosts: 1,120Member Uncommon

Yes the art style was a shock to the eyes, but not to the brains (if you use them) EQ2 launched with both bad optimization and a lack of a firm art style that dated it horribly, and I was worried EQN would lack a modern, well thought out design, but this works well with SOEmote and other features (on the human model anyway, that lion is retarded).

Now we still don't know about housing, crafting in depth, pvp etc, and these are areas that can make or break the game for many here, but seriously, the ill-informed, close minded rants I've seen in the last few hours here make me regret all the times I have defended the community here on other sites. I have not seen such a list of fallacies, half truths and spin in years, and over a presentation that you all only just saw.

Its one thing to regret the armor and look of a race most won't play, but to ignore 90% of the groundbreaking (see what I did there?) mechanics and even attack the devs on aspects we haven't even seen yet makes we concerned for the mental health of some here. 

Are those of us for this project being so unhinged? No, we list the many features presented and have can least give reasons for certain decisions that are not as popular. 

People need to live and let live, EQN is a cutting edge game reflecting this current trend in maximising player input that we see in Shroud of the Avatar etc, when they could have made the same safe, and cowardly themepark they scrapped. EQ1 and EQ2 are not being undermined by this new alternative Norrath, and I would just be happy for those that are happy with it.

One more thread bashing EQN with ZERO constructive content or facts and I will turn into a troll, and you don't want that.

• kruluxkrulux Atlanta - South, GAPosts: 229Member
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Tierless Simply because they are the first large company to give us most of what we have been begging for for so long! And because they had the sense to allow us to help build the thing (hopefully that doesn't turn into us being taken advantage of down the road). Thank you SOE, for listening and I hope your success means other large companies will follow your lead. FYI check my history, I called it yo!

/end rant

you were expecting people not to complain the instant any info was released? you know you are at mmorpg.com forums, right?

that said the graphics complaint is a very valid one. look at TESO, people complain that game looks nothing like ES LOL

EQN is far far worse in that regard, it looks nothing like everquest and everyone is supposed to be happy about that?

the rest of the game does look like it could be amazing but damn those cartoon graphics :(

I have no problem with people that don't like the graphics.  That is fine.. we are all entitled to our opinions.  I am referring to the ones that are outright spewing HATE for the graphics or the game in general.  I don't usually post on any forums - I prefer to read in silence... I learned my lessons years ago, but here I am again posting my useless "fanboi" views...  but hey, I know some post purely to troll - so I guess I've been trolled. /good job!

I just get tired of all the negativity that is posted.  We the players, do far more harm than we realize to the MMO community as whole when the hate mongers start rolling.  When a dev or artist reads the comments from some of you, about something they worked on personally, those comments hit home.  It kills their creative process a little at a time.  After a while they just start going through the grind of making the game likes its a job - and we wonder why most games suck.

We forget that the developers and artists are people just like us.  They have feelings and some of you get off on hurting others.  It shows in your posts and it shows in your game play.  I often wonder what I liked so much about the old games, AC and EQ - and now I realize it was the people.  Gamers had a little more tact back then.  A little more maturity.  A little more responsible with their voice and opinions.

In my original post here on the forums - I posted up several old school ideas that I wanted to be in EQN - now, I admit I'd like to see most of those ideas in the final game.. but I'm adding another;  I'd like to see more players act and behave the way we did at the start of the MMO genre.  That would do nicely

And yes, I know I'm on MMORPG forums.  I've lurked here for years.

• kragekrage Miami, FLPosts: 419Member Uncommon

I want it to succeed largely for other games to use the tech and systems going into it. I am not an former everquest player, and I am simply ok with the art direction, not my ideal art direction, but I am more interested in seeing IF they can pull off their tech/systems.

-Procedural generation

-Malleable terrain

-"Emergent AI" for non static packs of enemies.

-Player workshops (For world design)

All in all, I would take the good, but cartoony graphics in a heartbeat for all these systems to work as intended. 

• tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member

I hope it succeeds so other companies will follow..

Hopefully they wont be using kiddy graphics.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 That place, Overthere, WAPosts: 383Member Uncommon

I hope EQ succeeds. They had the balls to do something different. To stretch the limits and explore what could really be done with todays technology, despite people, and their own devs, telling them that it could not be done. They put it out there today and I hope none of them visit these forums.

I know what it's like to put out large bodies of work and have them ripped to pieces. I know how it feels to have your work criticized by people who couldn't do even a shred of what you showed them, yet they pull it apart piece by piece like they are experts in the field. I learned a long time ago to put aside the reviews for a rainy night when you have a friend over with a bottle of booze, laugh over the reviews and make fun of the assholes who think they know better but really have no clue. I kind of feel sorry for the dev team at SOE Live when they get back to work, the morale is going to be hard to recover if they do take it to heart.

Above all, I look forward to jumping head first into EQNext.

• czombieczombie Monroe, MIPosts: 82Member
    I always hope that all games succeed including this one so that the genre is continually getting better.  I just wish that they'd announce that they are putting some element of FFA PvP into the game just so I don't have to read months of whining on this forum before the game releases.  I think that there are viable ways of doing it so that both niche old-school PvPers and the majoriy of normal players are kept happy.
  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

or vise versa via shills

I like what was shown, and I sincerely hope a game like this succeeds.  Because as Smedley said when he introduced EQN (paraphrased) We are tired of the same old games released year after year; same ol, same ol.

I hope EQN succeeds because it is FINALLY a ground-breaking MMORPG.  If you think stale "dynamic-quests" aka public quests were anything noteworthy, then imagine a fully interactive world, where you can create stuff, destroy stuff, and even dig / blast your way to the "underworld".

If thats not enough, then realize that the tools to do this can lead to other experiences as well, hinted via entire floating islands that can be destroyed and cause damage from the debris.  The tools to make a game, end up "making" the game.  I think SOE realizes this.  If you don't understand that statement, then just remember "The game is only as good as what it was made from", or "You are what you eat" (even simpler).

I'm also looking forward to ArcheAge!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ShezziShezzi Seattle, WAPosts: 126Member
    Originally posted by Nadia

I'm an old school EQer too from back in 1999, everyone has different tastes

I am excited for what I've been told so far, moreso than details of any past mmo

I don't care if EQN gets mass appeal - it appeals to me

for disappointed gamers, hope you find a game you like

I am confident I have found my home in EQNext

I'm also happy with what I've heard. The other MMOs I was waiting for just can't compete with 40 classes, permanent world building/destruction thru the rally system, the intelligent world AI that responds to our actions,  or with the amount of lore we players can group up to explore/quest through. So glad that home building is already mentioned - love home design/decorating in EQ2, and the world bits and pieces grow nicely out of that history. I'm also glad to hear in the Curse Interview, that the old leveling system is history. The "flex, race to max level, and say I'm bored" MMO rut is hopefully a thing of the past. I also will not miss all that linear questing - I was so over that.

What I'm waiting for now is to hear about a hopefully amazing crafting system, and that we'll be able to have Ratongas.

• zwei2zwei2 SingaporePosts: 361Member
    graphic jokes aside, EQN succeeds will mean redemption for SOE, which is a really good move. As a gamer, especially EQ, I also hope EQN will succeed big time. Just pray that SOE will not bite more than it can chew.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• DaakenDaaken New York, NYPosts: 158Member

/end rant

Agreed with you, your rant and the OP.  It's nice to have a new EQ to look forward too and since I am new to these forums I too am saddened by the amount of things your rant speaks of.  But luckily it's easy to tune them out with the "block" button.  I just hope there's no limit to how many I can place on block as I've acquired a very diverse amount of people in my ignore list in 2 days.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• DaakenDaaken New York, NYPosts: 158Member
    Originally posted by czombie
    I always hope that all games succeed including this one so that the genre is continually getting better.  I just wish that they'd announce that they are putting some element of FFA PvP into the game just so I don't have to read months of whining on this forum before the game releases.  I think that there are viable ways of doing it so that both niche old-school PvPers and the majoriy of normal players are kept happy.

I fully expect a FFA PvP server or two to be announced in the near future.  Not a fan of PvP but this game is begging for a good old fashioned PvP system.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• NadiaNadia Topsham, MainePosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Shezzi

What I'm waiting for now is to hear about a hopefully amazing crafting system, and that we'll be able to have Ratongas.

there's a SOE poll asking about Ratonga - go vote

http://www.eqnextfans.com/news/25304-first-four-round-table-polls-available

Choose wisely as our opinions will help impact the game itself! You can vote here on the new Round Table page.

• To what degree should players be able to change the appearance of armor?
    • Should female dwarves have beards or not?
    • How complex should the Landmark design tools be?
    • Should the Ratonga be in EverQuest Next?

• NibblixNibblix UmePosts: 6Member

I've never understood people who fixates on graphics only, because that's what most of the ranters on the forums do. I think that the game mechanics that they have showed us are really awesome. Thats what makes the game.

I do agree with what someone else said here before. We have only seen a few mechanics, there is still many mechanics that can make or break the game, like PvP, crafting etc. etc. The ones we have seen so far are, in my opinion, awesome. Hopefully they can keep it up when it comes to the other mechanics as well.

I'm looking forward to this game, bacause to me it feels fresh. I saw the TESO show just before the EQN one and that didn't impress me at all. That looked like any other game out there, EQN doesn't. EQN feels new and fresh, at least to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the Elder Scrolls games, but TESO just didn't do it for me. It looks like any other MMO out there.

I really, really hope that the game deliver what they promise. Still a long way until release. I hope they make it, for the MMO genras sake.

Note: English is not my first language. Sorry if I've misspelled here and there.

English is not my first language.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist Posts: 2,240Member Uncommon

Im bumping this to help overtake some of the rage hate.

• KnyttaKnytta Corning, NYPosts: 355Member Uncommon

Imagine to play a MMO where you can gain skills by exploring and helping NPCs with non combat skills like crafting and gathering skills. Add a solid faction system where the game (and the NPCs) remembers what you have done before. Add lots of customization (that they at least talk about) and you have an MMO that might reach players way outside the regular MMO players.

This is exiting and if they manage to get it to work it will be a game that changes the MMO market completly. And I do not think they liked when SOE said they are not sure that die hard EQ or EQ2 players will like it. But Roleplayers will LOVE IT.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch