Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad things first: Get rid of those character models!

Comments

• kevinjrkevinjr Member UncommonPosts: 20
    The one that stuck out to me the most was the golem. It looked very WoW / GW2 to me.

I think the models get toned down some though. SOE is trying to engage the community and I think this will be one of the most contentious items.
  • Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by newbinator

This just in.... art is subjective!

The character models are beautiful.

They still don't really fit the EQ IP. If this is the general theme of how people look in the game then we wont really feel like we are in Norrath....

Game art needs more than look good, it also needs to fit the game since it's sets the mode of the entire game (together with music and story). It is important to get it just right.

Then again, I would want to see some more models, for all I know the 2 models I seen could just be a human and Kerran noble which kinda are supposed to look a lot less gritty than 2 outlaws.

But I am not really happy so far, I think the art should be closer to the original EQ.

I agree (with both). The models are very nice looking for a Disney IP. But this is Everquest and the models don't fit.

- In my opinion. :P

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

It honestly looked fine to me. I'll hold back final judgment until I see the customizations that will be available. To me, it's of paramount importance that everyone's toons look unique, including the clothes that are worn. I really don't want a SWTOR style of customization where there are really just 8 or 9 characters cloned all over the game.

Though I do agree that the environment is so beautiful that the characters may not actually fit well enough. That's a credit to the world and the artists behind it. Character development is a different beast entirely though, and we - being humans - have historically been very critical in how we are represented in art. It's much easier for us to say and agree "Yes, that is a magnificent and beautiful depiction of a tree" then it is to find general consensus on what constitutes a well rendered humanoid.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

I love the character models, well the human female at least. I'm into cartoony / stylized graphics. I prefer that style versus super realistic.

But I admit it's not what I expect from Everquest really. Though I'm totally fine with it all the same.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I really like these character models.  Regarding not fitting the IP, I think the environment and ambiance will have a lot more to do with setting the mood and immersion of the IP, more so than the character models.  At any rate, these character models are certainly better than the shiny clay looking character models of EQ2.  And the nostalgia behind the original EQ models notwithstanding, there is no comparison between these and those as well.  For many they may have to become an acquired taste, but I think eventually they will have lasting appeal. 

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by MMOWarrior

I couldn't disagree more with the OP..

I love the Characters and am so glad they put the hyper-reality aside..  EQ2 had the ugliest models of its time, fake and plastic.. If I want reality its right outside my door.. reality in these video games just looks creepy...

Agreed.  I love the character models.  Fantastical feel to it.  EQ 2 models were horribad.  The alternate models were better, but still.

The Uncanny Valley comes to mind.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

The graphics look like they were designed by someone with a 16 bit video card.Flat...childish...lacking detail, in color ,texture ,or shape.

The character movement when fighting reminded me of dime a dozen asian mmog.(all we didn't get was "slam" "pow","boom", "oof"  attached to the characters fighting actions.

The good news for me...I understand what this product is, and is not,and I don't have to waste my time learning any more.

Yeah didn't Skyrim just sell millions of copies by meeting most people's criteria for a sandbox game while using realistic graphics?  Since when does a game have to have kiddified graphics to be successful?

Announcing that the musical composer of Skyrim was working on the soundtrack just added to the shock of the cartoon models.

The combat demo should have been called "Beauty and the Beast go to Azeroth".

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Prenho
    That is why I prefer eastern MMO art style, it's better than the Disney pattern of western MMOs.

its just as bad if not worse, anime style models that look like 12 year old Asian girls with gigantic boobs? no thanks!

i hate the art style of asian mmo's, i like my character to look and feel menacing and most of the time i just don't get that feeling from eastern mmo's, or any heavily stylized models.

plus i cant stand anime personally, so to each their own i suppose.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

If "graphics" are the only thing you have against this game, then boy are you being petty. The reveal has shown much more than even I was expecting. Yet people want to gripe about graphics?

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>graphics.

Hell, give me a craptastic looking chess game, and a super expensive 24k gold-leaf covered turd on a stick, and tell me which one you have more fun playing with.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Please note: Graphics is NOT ArtStyle

What the OP is talking about, in regards to the character models, is the ArtStyle.

The Graphics were amazing though, those environments, omg :O!

However, they showed the MALE and FEMALE faces, as well as a MALE Kerran in full armor that looked like it was from a Pixar production...horrible.

Anyways, I wish i knew where all of you were earlier. I was saying the same things and being trolled to death....so I'll leave this here in-case anyone wants to sign it :)! Share it if you do please :o!

Petition to fix the ArtStyle from Catoons

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I don't mind the art direction/graphics, but maybe people expected something more within the lines of:

That last one looks a bit menacing!

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Sengi

Don't get me wrong SOE has shown us some really exiting things about EQN. But the as the character models appeared for the firs time, that really was a WTF-moment for me. That human character looks exactly like a Disney princess out of a Pixar movie and that Kerra, I don't know how to describe it, its just stupid and ugly. What is this? Tony the Tiger in epic WoW gear. Those Panda-things from WoW are stupid, but I'm sure Blizzard would have rejected this. 

The Environment looks so good, but the character models just look out of place, like they don't belong in this world. I have nothing against Rapunzel from Tangled but I don't think this is what the Everquests fanbase or any mmorpg player wanted. I just can't identify with that kind of character. 

I don't know how much work on the models has already been done. But I think there is still time to change them. At least give them less goofy faces, I would be pleased with that. 

Smedly said something like that he wants to develop the game together with the players. On his "Round Table", he asks us if female dwarfs should have beards or not. The first thing I would do is to flip his round table and tell him: "Listen Smed,  you can put beards on things as much as you like, but those big goggle eyes have to go!!!

This is what you get when a western developer tries to develop something.  I.e., an eyesore.  Have you seen The Secret World lately? LOL

Western devs should just hire Koreans or something next time to do their character models.

• BeshudeBeshude Member Posts: 20

I don't mind the art style at all, especially since it will allow for emotions and facial expressions to be done in real time with the actual players face.

A scenario pops into mind of  a group of "men" (i say men because there likely wont be child avatars for these kids to play) gathered outside the Kelethin bank window, starring through it and forgetting it's scanning their facial expressions and expressing them in game while they masturbate to the female elf changing her armor setup out...

edit: sorry last bit was a little off topic, but thought i would share :P

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I had tears of joy in my eyes on the presentation, but YES PLS.

I don't mind the world look, but the characters... meh. I just have a very difficult time relating to characters looking like... this. :(

Maybe they make it like with EQ2'S SOGA models to have these cartoony and a  mor serious variant?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NepentheiaNepentheia Member Posts: 53
    Yes, I really hope the art-style of the character models becomes a whole lot less like an absurd caricature and instead becomes much more consistent with the art-style of the gameworld itself!
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    The more I've looked at it the more I agree it isn't all the graphics, but just the character models that I would like see changed.  The environments were actually pretty nice.  And I also agree the models don't seem to fit in the world. 
  • mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by DMKano

It looks nothing like EQ - if you showed the EQN footage to somebody who played eq1 and eq2 and have fallen into a coma until the reveal - they would never even for 1 second think that what they saw had anything to do with Everquest.

I am appalled at the art direction in EQN - yes art direction not graphics.

Heck even the audience was very reluctant to clap when they said this is what Firiona looks like in game - awkward.

i am still in disbelief that lion king, and the atrocious bulky armor look is actually the art direction???????

With all of the other "perks" of the game, they have to keep the poly count down somehow.  With low poly characters they can fit more in an area with creating too much lag.  It's a necessary evil for all of the goodies they are trying to push.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Prenho
    That is why I prefer eastern MMO art style, it's better than the Disney pattern of western MMOs.

??? Really?  So girlish looking anime guys are just so much cooler then Disney looking characters?

No but seriously.  I could care less with either.  I'm just trying to say an art style is just that, a style.  I am sure they did market studies on the art style and I'm sure this will more then suffice.

Sure some people are going to hate, but others will love it.  But like beauty, art style is good/bad in the eyes of the beholder.

but one thing is for sure, SOE will never change their art direction now.  SO not sure why people keep posting about it.   Should talk about stuff that they could change.

Originally posted by DMKano

It looks nothing like EQ - if you showed the EQN footage to somebody who played eq1 and eq2 and have fallen into a coma until the reveal - they would never even for 1 second think that what they saw had anything to do with Everquest.

I am appalled at the art direction in EQN - yes art direction not graphics.

Heck even the audience was very reluctant to clap when they said this is what Firiona looks like in game - awkward.

i am still in disbelief that lion king, and the atrocious bulky armor look is actually the art direction???????

For how much you are crapping on this game, I wonder why you are still in the forums?  If I were you I would just go find a game you might actually like and post nice things on there.  Maybe avoid a heart attack or stroke.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I was a bit surprised at first when I saw the models...but after watching the presentation a second time, I'm in love with everything they have shown us so far.
  • karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    The graphics don't bother me as much as I thought the big reveal today was kind of a let down.
  • alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Grailer

If they made them realistic 2 things would happen .

1.  Oh noes they made a Secret World clone

2. Five years from now we would be saying how outdated the characters look . Mickey mouse is ageless right .

That being said the Kerran looks stupid lol . But hey no one is forced to play that race . 

3 years ago they released FFXIV.  Now they've downgraded the graphics considerably and people still say the graphics are good. 

So  I think your "In 5 years time" is a little off.

Also, it's better than having people saying the graphics are crap ALREADY.  Also, TSW never had good graphics and certainly never had good character models unless you like elongated humanoids with fish-faces and asthmatic shoulders.

Originally posted by Galadourn
    I was a bit surprised at first when I saw the models...but after watching the presentation a second time, I'm in love with everything they have shown us so far.

And Im sure they are not complete.  If you look at previous MMO's.  Even during late beta, details of each models will only get better,

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Sengi

Don't get me wrong SOE has shown us some really exiting things about EQN. But the as the character models appeared for the firs time, that really was a WTF-moment for me. That human character looks exactly like a Disney princess out of a Pixar movie and that Kerra, I don't know how to describe it, its just stupid and ugly. What is this? Tony the Tiger in epic WoW gear. Those Panda-things from WoW are stupid, but I'm sure Blizzard would have rejected this. 

The Environment looks so good, but the character models just look out of place, like they don't belong in this world. I have nothing against Rapunzel from Tangled but I don't think this is what the Everquests fanbase or any mmorpg player wanted. I just can't identify with that kind of character. 

I don't know how much work on the models has already been done. But I think there is still time to change them. At least give them less goofy faces, I would be pleased with that. 

Smedly said something like that he wants to develop the game together with the players. On his "Round Table", he asks us if female dwarfs should have beards or not. The first thing I would do is to flip his round table and tell him: "Listen Smed,  you can put beards on things as much as you like, but those big goggle eyes have to go!!!

You need to understand that 'preference' and 'tastes' are irrelevant. If they have set an art direction then that's that. I actually LIKE the art direction, I don't want too much realism in my fantasy games thank you very much. But, there are reasons as to why they picked these character models.

1) Cartoon-eque models have a longer shelf life without things getting dated too quickly, look at WoW for example and then look at the graphics fro EQ1 and EQ2. Graphics are not everything, but for some players its a big deal when they are finding a new game to play. 

2) The models help display and show emotional depth, they are really able to pull of a wide range of expressions and considering they are making it available so your web cam translate your real life expression into the game world through your avatar the models need to be able to express that and I believe anything but a cartoon feel would look silly. 

But again, these are all preferences and opinions, you have yours and I have mine. The difference between you and I is that I am excited about the game, you appear to be put off by the graphics, so, don't play it. 

• CurmyCurmy Member UncommonPosts: 18

I didn't mind the models at all although I thought the armor style was a bit WOW'ish. Not a deal breaker for me though.

This discussion has been closed.