Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indie MMO: Shores of Hazeron

xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

as i see that it doesnt have its own space in MMORPG i would like to suggest this game for sci fi lovers.

WARNING!: this game uses OpenGL 3.0, be warned that haves compatibility issues with some video cards, lik ATI for example. i use an Nvidia Geforce 9500. if you want to know which graphic cards are compatible, look in this thread in the official forums http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=616

Game Website: http://www.hazeron.com/

some features of the game are:

-procedural universe, including fauna and flora

-players can create their own sapient race.

-4x realtime empire building

-FPS point of view with strategic view too.

-modular spaceship design

-vehicles (fighters, rockets, sail boat, subs, and soon other more.)

-can play as a leader of your own race or be a pilot for another one.

-planetary conquest

-colonies, moon bases and space stations.

-almost all objects in the world are harvestable.

-many other features.....

the only issues are Lag and Limbo (some sort of stuck while playing) since the  game is in its alfa stage, but this depth of gameplay compensates its archaic state and its openGL basic graphics. the game is upgraded every year with new features or fixes, servers are improved frecuently.

the game is free2play without any type of RMT. (no cashshop, not even donation options). this game is completely free.

if you were dissapointed with SPORE, SWTOR or other space MMO or Space Sim game. you should take a look at this one. i hope this game could get more support in the future, since it already promises many things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

updates done in 2012: (not chronologically, its in terms of content added to the game, bugfixes were present)

-a primal planet mode which plays offline (its like a survival game, you cannot build structures)

-an offline spaceship editor

-a galaxy viewer

-the game now uses a single launcher program which checks updates and allows to enter the other aplications

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013 and counting:

-a whole revamp of the planet generation and city building, it allows for more stilized city layouts, and smoother terrain

-fixed a major exploit where people were allowed to fire with docked ships inside motherships (the so called "mothership exploit")

notes: this last update came with several bugs, and the changes dont apply to before patch colonies, so most players would have to start from scratch in order to see the change, a galaxy reset is in discussion...

the dev is now working on a revamp of city combat (base defenses, destructable buildings, etc...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07/03/2013: (several important bugfixes done mostly)

-implemented a system in which solar systems emit a signal based in the energy consumption of cities, this allows sensors to detect where's a colonized system, the signal appears as yellow glow in the star's location, the detyection system depends on the TL lvl.... (something very controversial in terms of how this can give an advantage to griefers)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19-25/03/2013 (most changes were bugfixes)

-warp speed reduced to a max of 30x the speed of light (at lvl 9 warp)

-now you can see spaceships and stations that are in orbit, if you're on the surface.

-better city ilumination (this could incentive planetary art)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26/04/2013 (big update so i only highlight what's important)

-added stairs, they can have different orientations (from straight stairs to spiral ones)

-BUILDING DESIGN! (buildings now are designed in the same studio as spaceships and spacestations, they of course, require certain modules in order to work)

-buildings are now defined by the designs made by the player and are solid entities (doors dont work yet, so they're open by default)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/08/2013

mostly server side updates, fixes in NPC pathfinding allow them now to use the stair system, this was something looked after the implementation of stairs for spaceships and structures.

aditional to this there was an update of the "development plan": (copypasta of the original in the update page here http://www.hazeron.com/update.html)

Updated August 2, 2013
Bugs/Unfinished Stuff

This one might as well stay at the top of the list. I write a lot of code; some of it has to wait in a barely functional state until I can return to it or perhaps finish something else first. Bugs just go with the territory. Bugs and unfinshed stuff get their own level of priority attention based on the following:

Data Loss or Corruption - When data is being lost or corrupted, whether it is on the client or server, the problem must be fixed immediately.
Server Crash - These bugs affect everyone so they get immediate attention. They are usually easy to fix once I determine the cause.
Client Crash - These bugs affect some or all players and interrupt the game experience. They tend to be the easiest to fix if I can reproduce them.
Player Annoyance - These are almost as bad as crashes. Though not always a bug, annoying things must be changed.
The Rest - Beyond those categories, the remaining bugs and unfinished stuff get attacked as I feel like it.

Buildings

Buildings got me started on revamping the planets. I just couldn't stand to work with those old 3D defense base models any longer. Alas, buildings will end up being the last thing to get working properly. There are still a few details remaining:

AI Pathing
Damage and Destruction
Harsh Environment Enclosures

Ringworlds

Ringworld terrain must be rewritten to use Perlin noise, like the new globe worlds. Ringworlds will be switched over to GLSL shaders in the process. The reduction in network bandwidth consumed by ringworlds will be huge.

GLSL Shaders

The rewrite of worlds was part of the work on transitioning from nVidia Cg to OpenGL Shader Language (GLSL). Worlds use a lot of different shaders. All recent and new rendering code has been developed using GLSL. Remaining Cg objects include:

Spacecraft
Creatures
Vehicles
Items
Misc. Effects

Mac Port

SoH builds and runs on my Mac Pro. The only known problem is the failure to compile the Cg shaders at runtime. Elimination of Cg appears to be the only remaining roadblock to distributing a Mac version of SoH.

Spacecraft

Spacecraft design and modeling will undergo a considerable facelift when changing over to GLSL. Don't be surprised if you see evolutionary changes similar to what happened to planets.

Galactic Core

Needs completion.

Blackhole
Intergalactic Wormholes

Character Development

Character factors suitable for role playing will be fleshed out and applied to the game universe where they make sense. This is essential to the final phase of the game.

Storylines/Quests

Story engine will be expanded to handle a broad variety of story/quest situations. This will form the platform for game content creation/submission. The ultimate goal of SoH is to provide science fiction adventure set in a realistic backdrop; that setting is created by the empire-building space-war game SoH presents today. This final step culminates phase 2 of SoH and addresses the largest roadblock faced by new non-emperor players, what to do.

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Is it still bugged as hell?

I tried it about 2 years ago, was unplayable.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    dunno much about bugs, i dont have any so far. the only issues right now looks like are the lag and the limbo...
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

let me know in a couple yrs when I dont have to jump through hoops just to try to play

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by xaritscin
    dunno much about bugs, i dont have any so far. the only issues right now looks like are the lag and the limbo...

They haven't fixed the lag yet???

Lag was present 2 years ago, are they even working on it?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

yeah they've been dealing with it, the game is more smooth, but still has its moments.
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

The core Ideas of the game are great!

But. most people will have a hard time with it, the UI is really rough, movement and interaction is really rough too. Takes patience.

I played it for a while, made a city on the starting planet, colonized its moon (my first Moon mission was just EPIC, I felt like Neil Armstrong)...Colonized the rest of the solar system.

And then Colonized a couple adjacent Star Systems.

But through that, frequent disconnects, terrible Lag spikes, little to no interaction with other players, becomes tiresome at one point because of technical issues, otherwise it could be fun for longer.

The graphics are not everyone's cup of tea either, they could be compared to Minecraft's graphics, a couple of notches above it (at least characters are not cubic).

Hope it will keep going on. I shall revisit it at one point.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
    Originally posted by Suraknar

But. most people will have a hard time with it, the UI is really rough, movement and interaction is really rough too. Takes patience.

I played it for a while, made a city on the starting planet, colonized its moon (my first Moon mission was just EPIC, I felt like Neil Armstrong)...Colonized the rest of the solar system.

But through that, frequent disconnects, terrible Lag spikes, little to no interaction with other players, becomes tiresome at one point because of technical issues, otherwise it could be fun for longer.

The graphics are not everyone's cup of tea either, they could be compared to Minecraft's graphics, a couple of notches above it (at least characters are not cubic).

the multiplayer thing its due to the dimension of the universe. like in EVE, all players gather in an specific place (or sector), but it's better that way. this games has a rough PvP, some politic systems allow to PvP in order to become the leader, also, empires can try to conquest other player systems. sovereingty here its pretty complex. of course, there's NPC space too, but its a whole galaxy to conquest.

so, you can feel alone in your little solar system, but you know that, there are other player empires, other empires full of several players which could find you and try to get your little planets. so you must be quick, develop your technology and try to ally with other empires, in order to get on the real deal.

as for the disconnections, maybe its because of the last server upgrade, it was the 27, and they deleted like 200k abandoned sectors. there's a lot of threads about several issues.  but again, this game is in alfa stage.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Originally posted by xaritscin
    Originally posted by Suraknar

the multiplayer thing its due to the dimension of the universe. like in EVE, all players gather in an specific place (or sector), but it's better that way. this games has a rough PvP, some politic systems allow to PvP in order to become the leader, also, empires can try to conquest other player systems. sovereingty here its pretty complex. of course, there's NPC space too, but its a whole galaxy to conquest.

so, you can feel alone in your little solar system, but you know that, there are other player empires, other empires full of several players which could find you and try to get your little planets. so you must be quick, develop your technology and try to ally with other empires, in order to get on the real deal.

as for the disconnections, maybe its because of the last server upgrade, it was the 27, and they deleted like 200k abandoned sectors. there's a lot of threads about several issues.  but again, this game is in alfa stage.

Oh it did not bother me more than that personally, I was happy  learningthe game and develloping in relative peace. I am bringing up facts that some players will come across when they try it, as to set the expectation level.

The universe is big yes and there are not many players on at any one time either. But if Sci-Fi in an MMO setting is your thing I think one should give it an honnest try.

The premise is great, it feels old school too, much potential for interaction.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

make a new entry here to announce new features, the last client update added:

-a "Primitive Planet Gameplay", basically you start in a random planet with random flora and fauna, and its like some sort of survival game (its offline and you cant build things, just craftt with what you have avaliable in the environment).

-an offline ship designer.

of course there are still bugfixes and other things.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Be warned. There is a program (which is allowed, and I think the/a dev made it himself)... that allows people to find you in a milimeter of a spot...anywhere in the galaxy.

May not be a problem for some...but kinda ruined it for me. It would be okay if it was built into the game itself...but as it is...you have to download it, and its a pain in the a%% to setup...I gave up eventually. But this allows people to grief very easily, and no matter where you are, whoever has the program always knows where you are.

The lag isn't nearly as bad as it was 2 years ago, most of the time it played just fine.

Never got into limbo, but that is pretty much gameover and seemed to be a common problem among people. What happens is your character gets stuck in loading screen, and you have to wait for the developer to fix it (which can take more than a week) or make a new character.

The game itself is pretty much what I wanted Spore to be. It reminds me of space spore, but 1000x better.

I played for about a month...it was a lot of fun. Too bad there is that "cheat" program out there. And too bad it is so hard to get setup, and too bad it isn't in the game (since its allowed anyway). Funny thing is, not many know about it...so its an elite few that use it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

more news from development:

a galaxy viewer has been added. also some fixes about city reclaiming and other bugfixes.

lastest patch notes: (november-december)

-a total revamp of the launche, the launcher downloads and updates the game to more recent versions, instead of the old system where you had to download it manually, also, the launcher allows you to access to all the features (mail, the game, primitive planet system, spaceship designer)

-general bugfixes from the game

updated the OP with the lastest information........
    OP updated for today's patch
    OP updated to 25/03/2013
    OP updated to 26/04/2013
    OP updated to August 2 of 2013
  • VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please do not necro old threads.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.