Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For anyone who's upset with the art direction have you considered?

DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
If you think the characters are too cartoony or the art direction is too "Disney" have you considered they only showed 2 working models of animated characters?  Both of which are routinely considered the frilly or pretty type of races.  We still haven't seen a live video reference for Dark Elves, Shadow Knight armor, Ogres, Male Humans, and Dwarves.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

Comments

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    It looks like decisions were made to focus on environment and having the ability for emotes to really be expressive.  That's my take anyways.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I had no idea that Kerrans were pretty or frilly...

I'd reserve those terms for high elves and uhh.....

...uhmmmm

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    It would have been nice to see some darker looking characters and also darker looking areas.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Not all the races of Wildstar are "cartoony" either, yet I feel Wildstar as a whole is disagreeable to me because of the graphics style.

Just like I disliked World of Warcraft. Tried it several times, each time I quit because of the graphics style. I want, I prefer, a more realistic graphics style. That is not evil. That is not immature. That is just personal preference.

If you like the graphics style of EQNext... then cool. Enjoy.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by Daaken
    If you think the characters are too cartoony or the art direction is too "Disney" have you considered they only showed 2 working models of animated characters?  Both of which are routinely considered the frilly or pretty type of races.  We still haven't seen a live video reference for Dark Elves, Shadow Knight armor, Ogres, Male Humans, and Dwarves.

There's nothing to consider, it's a direction they chose, I can guarantee you things won't be any different with other races.  Nobody creates a game with half disney characters, and half realistic.  I think what made everybody finally realize the direction SOE is going is when they saw the human models.  It's one thing for the cat to look like a lion king, but for the human models to look like a disney character, everybody pretty much knew how the game is going.

I don't get why people keep posting things as if SOE is hiding a lot more, as if things all of a sudden will one day be different.  This late in development stage, they aren't changing the models, what's done is done.  Same with combat, I fully expect to see those big aoe, button mashing moves be there when the game launches.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Eh, art direction is the least of my concerns.

I hate F2P with a passion, and SOE's F2P truly sucks.

So far to me the worst part of EQN is that it's F2P.

I would prefer to buy the game, pay a sub, have all players having equal access, with no special treatment for people who are willing to dump piles of cash on the game along with no "lower class" of people who don't want to pay for anything and are willing to play a gimped game to avoid paying.

F2P is the worst thing to happen to MMOs and gaming.

PS - I can't judge the art work til I play.  Videos and screenies just don't cut it.  First impression is that it looks like a console game, which go figure, it's being designed for the next gen playstation, including the gimping of gameplay to be suitable for console controllers.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There is a give and take when it comes to graphics .. either they are realistic and static, or dynamic and simpler.

I would prefer dynamic graphics any day.  Everything created from small parts, or Voxels, is very cool.  Meaning a tree just doesn't fall down, it can be blown to small pieces interjoined, with branches still intact.

See the presentation .. players missed with their spells and caused destruction to the nearby trees .. the boss attack when a player dodged caused damage to the walls / floor.

Huge WOW factor.  I'll take cartoony graphics for this play style any day! .. I mean whats the alternative .. a beautifully rendered static world with no interaction and no day-night cycle?  no thank you.

SOE is thinking outside the box, and I think they are going to win.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by DMKano

The art direction is clear  it's this:

Yes, sigh. I need to believe EQN can overcome this with awesome gameplay though!

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60
    I loved the art style. My elf healer will look great! Thanks SOE!
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

What many hoped for was this:

What game is this from?

..and I'm reserving judgement until after the weekend is over and we hear ALL the information.  A game is more than its graphics.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Maybe I'm biased but I don't look at the game as being cartoony as people are making it out to be.  I'd never play Wildstar because that is cartoony art style to me, EQN not so much.  Maybe it's because the rest of the world is not cartoony and realistic (as opposed to Wildstar being cartoony all around).  Maybe because I played WoW for over 6 years and didn't mind the art direction there.  Or maybe because to me gameplay is more important.

Listen I know people may be upset with the art direction, but for Pete's sake give the game a chance because we haven't seen this element of world building, NPC A.I. and Open World exploration with this many layers ever. 

EQN is looking more and more like perennial PvE sandbox MMO many of us have been wanting for a very long time.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Telondariel

What many hoped for was this:

What game is this from?

..and I'm reserving judgement until after the weekend is over and we hear ALL the information.  A game is more than its graphics.

Black Desert Online

The more cartoonish human actually doesn't bother me, but the Kerran, OMG THE KERRAN....

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Maybe I'm biased but I don't look at the game as being cartoony as people are making it out to be.  I'd never play Wildstar because that is cartoony art style to me, EQN not so much.  Maybe it's because the rest of the world is not cartoony and realistic (as opposed to Wildstar being cartoony all around).  Maybe because I played WoW for over 6 years and didn't mind the art direction there.  Or maybe because to me gameplay is more important.

Listen I know people may be upset with the art direction, but for Pete's sake give the game a chance because we haven't seen this element of world building, NPC A.I. and Open World exploration with this many layers ever. 

EQN is looking more and more like perennial PvE sandbox MMO many of us have been wanting for a very long time.

I get what you are saying, but I think after today the release of the art direction kicked the hard core EQ fans right in the crotch, and that is what is wrong with everyone. They were looking for EQN to be an upgrade to EQs art style, and not a cartoon console game.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Wtf? lol

Wildstar looks exactly the same. Those zones look exactly the same as WoW which = stylized/cartoony.

[mod edit] 

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Real MMO players dont really care about graphics, they know and understand high rendered graphics limits game play.  I will be more than happy with EQN if there is good content, no hand holding, and players having to work together to play a multiplayer game.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by toddze
    Real MMO players dont really care about graphics, they know and understand high rendered graphics limits game play.  I will be more than happy with EQN if there is good content, no hand holding, and players having to work together to play a multiplayer game.

Thank you for telling me what I do and do not care about.

I care about graphics, and I have my preferences. I do consider myself a MMO Player and I also think it's long past time for a Dev Team to create a MMO that much more fully utilizes the potential of our PCs capabilities to give us high rendered graphics AND superb gameplay. I too want good content, no hand holding, and players having to work together. In some things we agree.

That is what I am looking for in a MMO. I am prepared to wait.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

I care about graphics, and I have my preferences. I do consider myself a MMO Player and I also think it's long past time for a Dev Team to create a MMO that much more fully utilizes the potential of our PCs capabilities to give us high rendered graphics AND superb gameplay.

And to add to that, they need to put the RPG back into MMORPG. In fact, it should be an RPGMMO imho. I'm tired of the direction the genre is going and they need to separate the PC and Console games from one another. EQ was a great PC game and now it has gone total console.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

I care about graphics, and I have my preferences. I do consider myself a MMO Player and I also think it's long past time for a Dev Team to create a MMO that much more fully utilizes the potential of our PCs capabilities to give us high rendered graphics AND superb gameplay.

And to add to that, they need to put the RPG back into MMORPG. In fact, it should be an RPGMMO imho. I'm tired of the direction the genre is going and they need to separate the PC and Console games from one another. EQ was a great PC game and now it has gone total console.

I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes I think this is the biggest hurtle the genre has overall.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I've considered.  And this is what i've come up with:

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I'm ok with the world graphics, just not the character graphics. It won't ruin my game, but I am disappointed.

Asdar

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I'm tired of that old argument.  If graphics really didn't mean a damn, then we'd be better off playing more complex and imaginative text based MMOs.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by arieste

LMAO

If anything, the most fun days are after they show the game.

I remember this Vanguard guy who bought the game, went on Silky venom and started his thread with

"This is like this guy who built our shed but forgot to put the roof on"

and a hilarious rant in this thread

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

I'm tired of that old argument.  If graphics really didn't mean a damn, then we'd be better off playing more complex and imaginative text based MMOs.

Imagine Withcer 2 or Deus Ex with Disney like graphic but with the same core game mechanic and story, do people really think it won't change the immersion or the experience of the game at all?

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by DMKanoWhat many hoped for was this:

I would have no doubt preferred this, but I will nevertheless enjoy what they are giving us.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by arieste

^ Nice!  Kerra really put me off looking like lion king.  I would've loved it if it looks either close to EQ2 kerra or EQ1 vah shir.

Their new interpretation is just so off, it really does kill it a bit for me.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO