Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    multi-classing is an amazing way to make your own special class/character. so far we were limited by developers choise of what class could be a paladin...now you can be for example a dark paladin or something weird.  The only concerning here is if everyone becomes the same class/combination because of epeen viability etc. once again in theory its amazing lets see what restiction they put in for that system so it can work as intended.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

"Future of the MMORPG"?

Lets hold off on the bold claims until we see more..

Aside from building and destroying,the game looked like the same ol shiz to me.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    not sure how I feel about no levels, kind of used to it since playing EQ1 and I do agree, the graphics are a turn off. I'm neutral at this point and a little underwhelmed.

You mean you didn't poop your pants and have such an earth shattering experience that your jaw in on the floor? No?

But seriously, it sounds good, like Wildstar + GW2 + Minecraft. Not amazing, but it'll be fun.

I have to agree with Ruque. I was not expecting what was delivered at the reveal but I understand 100% why SOE is going this direction. However unless I missed something in the twitch cast I do not see how this is a new concept that will change the MMO way of life. I do think this will be a VERY entertaining game but looks like highlights of several MMOs that were successful combined into one game. I think GW2 would of held my attention longer if abilities were discovered like how it was explained in the reveal or at very least like how it was in GW1. I hope that EQN will make it were cookie cutter toons or FotM specs are not as ramped as they have been the last 4-6 years. 

I will watch this game develop, I am still excited but will have one concern - I am caution in regards to a game that allows multi-classing (multi-speccing) and switching on the fly. I do miss the days of when you actually full filled a roll in a grp and not switched a spec to "fill in."

My $0.02 for now.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by wowclonez
    Looks like Wildstar on steroids. Yay another cartoon looking game!.

I agree so far as the graphics "style" goes. Though I do mostly like the game details. HATE "action" combat, hate over-the-top "effects" (the kerran whirlwind thing is ridiculous!).

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by cpupower
    As a EQ vet of 14 years I was hoping for EQ1 with a new coat of paint, and they wanna give us Lion king online. No thanks I'll stick with the original.

I would LUV someone to do a true update of EQ1! I had hopes this would be more in that direction also. I definitely do NOT like this games "art style", not one bit. Sick-to-DEATH of cartooney WoW-ified graphics "style", ridiculous giant-weapons and enormous armor pieces...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by kingotnw

Does nobody realize that orcs, trolls, dark elves, etc aren't real anyways? By definition, you cannot make them look any more or less realistic than in the videos people are looking at above. The look of a game is hit or miss depending on who you talk to anyways, always has been and always will be. The people pissing and moaning about it would just have something else to piss and moan about if it was ultra realistic looking. There are in fact people you can't please. SOE in particular has this problem, and it's funny when you think about it. WoW may have had better subs over time, but SOE games have dominated the landscape for years, and to an extent still do. When you stack everything together, people have gotten more enjoyment out of SOE games than any of the other ones, yet people say things like SOE sucks or whatever. It's ridiculous.

You can also tell very easily who in this thread watched the revel, and who just glanced at the screen shots and videos, and glanced over the text. Personally I was a little taken back by the artwork at first. What I found really interesting about it, is that it is, and this is without a doubt true and it's really not up to debate, a perfect rendering of concept art you have seen in the past for not only this and other EQ games, but for many other MMORPGs overall. It was striking when I realized that's what I was looking at. Then they started the movement and everything else and I was totally in and sold.

They very same people who go on and on about stale games and systems are the very ones who are quite literally saying that SOE isn't going to be able to pull off what they are discussing, so why bother. That is paraphrased in many places in this thread. Again, ridiculous. If some people here don't want to play a fantasy MMORPG that is not only innovative, but is almost an exact replica of concept art that developers and artists have always wanted in their game, well.. That's too bad for you.

I think it all looks fantastic, and I can't wait to start playing around with the tools.

I am glad the film industry never read from your dictionary.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by saker
    As a EQ vet of 14 years I was hoping for EQ1 with a new coat of paint, and they wanna give us Lion king online. No thanks I'll stick with the original.

I would LUV someone to do a true update of EQ1! I had hopes this would be more in that direction also. I definitely do NOT like this games "art style", not one bit. Sick-to-DEATH of cartooney WoW-ified graphics "style", ridiculous giant-weapons and enormous armor pieces...

I was VERY surprised seeing the BIG shoulder armor pieces. I was confident that this was not the direction EQN would take but as usually I was wrong.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Well, at least  now we know what SoE thinks a Sandbox is. Still looks like a Theme Park to me. Don't get me wrong, so far it looks pretty good, but as with anything new and untried, there are the unforeseen dynamics that will need to be dealt with that will show up. But yeah, it looks like it could be interesting.

You DO realize that the ONLY thing a game must require, by definition, to be considered a sandbox MMO, is an open world that anyone can get anywhere at any time, right? It has nothing to do with player ran economies,destructible and constructible things, etc..

Nonsense.  What you described is hardly a sandbox.  If you want to see what a sandbox is, try Eve.  Not perfect by any means, but closer than anything else out there.  A player run economy is almost a necessity too.  Really irks me that people still can't figure out what a sandbox is.

I see their classes are just skill sets that are called that.  Why they don't just call them skills or skill sets  is beyond me.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

I guess I'm just happy I am in the camp that likes the graphics. I also had no idea that WoW invented cartoons. It actually looks more like Ni no Kuni style cell shading art, and anime art is far beyond the popularity of any mmorpg. Setting aside the character models as a matter of taste, I think the world artwork is about as good as it gets. Ferrott looked great, and then the other world zone where most of it took place was not in a past EQ game, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be recognizable to anyone.

For every person who complains about this style of artwork, there is another person who complains about the realistic style of artwork. For the record, there was and is nothing 'realistic' looking about EQ1's artwork. If you were to round up MMORPG's, the only two that would have worse looking artwork would be M59, and UO. That's part a statement of the year the game was made, and part a statement about the direction of the art itself. Even if people are not loving the character models, I think it's a little silly that people are saying the overall look of the game is bad, when the view everyone here has been given is a tiny snap shot.

Speaking on the zones I can compare to their older versions... Lavastorm and Ferrott look amazing, and considerably better than they have in any other iteration. Oasis looked pretty cool too, but it's hard to say without a fly by instead of s screenshot.

Everyone had to know this was coming.  People have their own conception of what Everquest is supposed to look like, and if it's not that, they just want to piss all over it. It's been that way since when other games started to come after EQ1. People STILL say "I don't see the point of starting a new character all over for no reason" as if it's not a totally different game. New games = new directions, new lore, new characters, new systems, and thank god this game is supposed to be a sand box and not a piece of shit theme park game. This game, in all actuality, looks nothing at all like WoW. They went a different direction other than photo realistic, but that doesn't mean it looks like WoW.

I myself didn't mind WoW in small doses, but it didn't hold a candle to EQ1, or even EQ2 for that matter, in my opinion. Both of those games I loved. But a handful people are attached to this idea that stylized art is only for children, and they are wrong. Things change. Tastes change. Some people can never get past the idea that the past cannot be bested. If life is really that way for them, I feel sorry for them. Because all that will led to is being disappointed by every thing for the rest of your life now that the good ol' days are gone.

As a EQ vet of 14 years I was hoping for EQ1 with a new coat of paint

That game was already made. It's called WoW.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Well, at least  now we know what SoE thinks a Sandbox is. Still looks like a Theme Park to me. Don't get me wrong, so far it looks pretty good, but as with anything new and untried, there are the unforeseen dynamics that will need to be dealt with that will show up. But yeah, it looks like it could be interesting.

You DO realize that the ONLY thing a game must require, by definition, to be considered a sandbox MMO, is an open world that anyone can get anywhere at any time, right? It has nothing to do with player ran economies,destructible and constructible things, etc..

Nonsense.  What you described is hardly a sandbox.  If you want to see what a sandbox is, try Eve.  Not perfect by any means, but closer than anything else out there.  A player run economy is almost a necessity too.  Really irks me that people still can't figure out what a sandbox is.

I see their classes are just skill sets that are called that.  Why they don't just call them skills or skill sets  is beyond me.

Quite a lot of people, once they pass a certain age, need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future. There was really noting in the reveal that indicated this would be a theme park game, aside from that title "class". However, there is going to be a need for some of that because some of the old EQ players are going to demand familiarity, or at least the illusion of it. I swear, some people sound like crotchety old men. It's funny when you think about it. "back in my day we had to stare at a spell book during down time and we liked it that way!!". lol :)

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by evilastro

Perfect, its exactly the game I have been waiting for. Love everything about it, the art style, the concepts, the multi-classing, the dynamic world and the lack of levels. I love how your class changes how you move around the world. Also loved how the combat works. It looks like the game that GW2 should have been.  

Going to be my new home for sure.

I will certainly agree that there are a lot of positives here, but the art style is a pure sell-out, and it is, to me, a sign of the lack of quality that is going to be apparent after the game is released in pretty much everything else.

I LIKE cartoon style - but not in EQ. If they wanted to make another MMOG entirely and use a cartoon style, I wouldn't object at all. However, what they did was make a game that was supposed to be a more sandbox style game for EQ players to enjoy, and they totally changed the art style. Not only did they change it, but the armor looks so much like WoW armor I can hardly see anything else in the videos. It is stunningly, shockingly bad to me. Not bad in the sense that I think it looks ugly or wrong, but bad in the sense that it isn't EQ and it looks like an almost direct copy of what I'd see in WoW.

I mean, seriously, I don't really get why they think they need to make a third version of EQ anyway, but if that's what they are going to do, then make it EQ, not WoW with updated PC models and familiar EQ names and places.

What I have said before is that I think EQNext will be a great game I just don't want to play because it speaks to a different kind of player. What I'm saying now is that I think it will be a luke-warm game that I won't even try. I hope I'm wrong though.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    I watched this video for 3 seconds and uninstalled it. Nothing new here.
  • ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Wow...do want!
  • Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by kingotnw

I guess I'm just happy I am in the camp that likes the graphics. I also had no idea that WoW invented cartoons. It actually looks more like Ni no Kuni style cell shading art, and anime art is far beyond the popularity of any mmorpg. Setting aside the character models as a matter of taste, I think the world artwork is about as good as it gets. Ferrott looked great, and then the other world zone where most of it took place was not in a past EQ game, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be recognizable to anyone.

For every person who complains about this style of artwork, there is another person who complains about the realistic style of artwork. For the record, there was and is nothing 'realistic' looking about EQ1's artwork. If you were to round up MMORPG's, the only two that would have worse looking artwork would be M59, and UO. That's part a statement of the year the game was made, and part a statement about the direction of the art itself. Even if people are not loving the character models, I think it's a little silly that people are saying the overall look of the game is bad, when the view everyone here has been given is a tiny snap shot.

Speaking on the zones I can compare to their older versions... Lavastorm and Ferrott look amazing, and considerably better than they have in any other iteration. Oasis looked pretty cool too, but it's hard to say without a fly by instead of s screenshot.

Everyone had to know this was coming.  People have their own conception of what Everquest is supposed to look like, and if it's not that, they just want to piss all over it. It's been that way since when other games started to come after EQ1. People STILL say "I don't see the point of starting a new character all over for no reason" as if it's not a totally different game. New games = new directions, new lore, new characters, new systems, and thank god this game is supposed to be a sand box and not a piece of shit theme park game. This game, in all actuality, looks nothing at all like WoW. They went a different direction other than photo realistic, but that doesn't mean it looks like WoW.

I myself didn't mind WoW in small doses, but it didn't hold a candle to EQ1, or even EQ2 for that matter, in my opinion. Both of those games I loved. But a handful people are attached to this idea that stylized art is only for children, and they are wrong. Things change. Tastes change. Some people can never get past the idea that the past cannot be bested. If life is really that way for them, I feel sorry for them. Because all that will led to is being disappointed by every thing for the rest of your life now that the good ol' days are gone.

Words of wisdom.

The game doesn't look realistic, but beautiful nevertheless.

I'll be looking forward to Landmark and its impact on EQN.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Great Sandbox MMO's begin with and end with their database.

EVE

SWG

14 Meta levels for every gun, every module, high slot, medium and low.

Dynamic resources from 1 to 1000 on multiple stats that defined indiviual runs of an item and could change week to week.

They have a footprint, nothing more right now. Best of luck to them though.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It's not what i expected, but it still looks interesting.

I'm not a fan of the art style.  The human female looked too stylized like Wildstar & Firefall.  It would have been better if they went for a more a realistic approach.  It's not a deal breaker for me though.

It's very interesting how many parallels are drawn between EQN and GW2.

Their dynamic event system sounds really well, but so did GW2's.  GW2's system is still great, but it's got a lot of problems.  The zerg makes them trivial.  Hopefully SOE makes them challenging when they get zerged.

No levels.  About time.

Skill and class hunting sounds really fun.  I like earning skill points in GW2, so hopefully EQN will be even better with this concept.

The state of permanence isn't anything new to MMOs, and it's really tough to pull off, but there still isn't enough information to decide whether it will work or not.

Traditional class roles are back it seems.  Mixed feelings on this still.

Overall, it seems good so far, and i'm glad i didn't buy into the hype without knowing more information.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Meanwhile, the Depends Booth is reporting that projected sales failed to meet expectations.

"Severely disappointing, we were promised a bonanza," said one spokesperson for Kimberly-Clark, maker of the undergarments. "Heads are going to roll for this one."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Got home from work to see what the big reveal was and I just felt let down.  Very anticlimactic.  I'm not opposed to playing the game when I get a chance and I'll keep an eye on it, but it didn't move me at all and the fact that it is going to be F2P, from SOE of all companies, really makes me cringe as I find their model one of the worst in the industry.  I literally uninstalled F2P version of EQ2 the moment I couldn't sell collectables on the Auction House or equip a piece of gear I had gotten as a drop. 

Just not excited about this.  Only thing it has going for it is Jeremy Soule music.

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    I really don't get the hate on the stylistic direction of the game... Seriously did you guys see EQII?  Day 1 it was UGLY.  Compare it to Lineage II or FFXI which both came out a couple years to about 18months(Korean release) before it.  It was a cool game with some nice looking environments for the time but it was just not right syle wise.  That and the game made a lot of assumptions by planning on making the game for the future not the now.. It was close to impossible to graphically max out the game even for the most high end of pcs at the time and it still manages to look a heck of a lot more dated than WoW does nowadays.  Comparitively this version is very grounded.  With a high enough spec target to seperate itself graphically from the newer mmos.  I'd guess it'll be the best looking open world game out when it does come.  I'm excited.  Sure it could be a dissapointment in other ways but looks wise it get's top marks.

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

So far seems like an action console game with MMO elements, there's no sign of any RPG elements that I like. Looks like the future of MMORPGs has left me behind. 

8 buttons, cartoon graphics, action combat, destructible terrain. 

Not bad, but nothing of those elements got me to play MMORPGs in the first place.

• sand box where u can't jump freely? AI pathing will move you trough user generated content trough skill shaped landscape that regenerates? I can't even imagine half of this to work and they are trying to sell it all as a package?  

Love the permanent world idea and the user generated content but enforcing AI pathing on top of all that is a death sentence right there in my eyes, the amount of time to script moving trough all that combined with the landscape changes is nowhere even close to what even the best mmo's have even came close by. Jumping is the best way to get out of any glitchy  objects by far 

hope someone brings them to their senses before they break their heads :shakehead

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

After reading, and skimming most comments, I must say, as someone else already did:

GO PLAY AN FPS IF GRAPHICS AND PVP ARE WHAT YOU WANT!

I came to play a game that feels fun... I don't know what the *** people here are smoking, but games are supposed to be an outlet to the tedium of everyday life. If art style is so much of a turn off for you, and you are so distraught by it, then get off your freaking high-horse, stop looking at the game, and don't let the proverbial door hit you on the way out. There are many other games out there that I am sure would love your 2 cents.

Games are not a replacement for life, and I don't really care if they are realistic or not. Fun should be the end result of a game. Mystery is fun, challenge can be fun, uniqueness can be fun, building/making things can be fun. If these are things you do not want, and instead get your kicks out of "proving you are better than someone else" in a battle of wits or reaction, then RPGs are not the games for you.

Mods - Venting... feel free to edit or remove as needed. But I am sure even you mods wanted to say some of the things I did.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    This is just further proof that Final Fantasy XIV is probably going to be the last modern PC oriented MMO.  The console gamers have won and taken over the entire genre.  Even single player games are jumping on the action combat bandwagon.  Why even bother with PC gaming anymore if every game is pushing for simplistic console controls and interfaces.  At least I can take some pleasure in knowing that eventually tablets and smart phones will be making consoles obsolete in the same manner.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Mindblown. Basically taking GW2 concepts to the next level.

Can't wait for this game to come out!

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.