Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN, AWSOME, but can't please everyone

killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
The game looks great! The graphics a tad cartoons but so what. The mechanics of this game look to be awsome as well.
the worst thing about this release is the petty whiney attitude of the haters, you would not be happy in any case scenario and seem to relish getting in on the antihype train. Remember you can use tissues more than once to dry your eyes.

Just goes to show what most know allready, can't please everyone, and that's good, Sony again has made the game they wanted to make, not the visions of a fickle player base.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Comments

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I can't wait for release, or even beta. This is gonna be a fun ride!
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

What are you talking about? It pleases exactly the same people the last two dozens of cartoony theme parks pleased.

According to marketing research, no one else exists, therefore your thread title is not logical.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Just another game we can all play for 2-3 months and then move on. *Golf Clap
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Agreed! EQ:Next has jumped to #1 on my radar at this point. A very impressive first showing. I'm hungry for more info.
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Of course they can't please everyone.  SOE had already made their choice, they are going for mass market, they want a slice of that pie that other larger MMORPG's have been enjoying.  This is probably good for those liking mass market games, games made to be rather casual, fast combat with little buttons to push, indicators that tell you where not to stand, etc..  For those looking for something deeper, or to re-live the old school days, EQ Next isn't it.   For awhile people thought it was it based on Smed's random tweets.  But now that cat's out of the bag, there's no question what SOE"s target audience is.

I'm not saying I'm in either camp, I'm kind of in the middle and enjoy most games to a certain degree.  But I do see people becoming extremely disappointed today.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

It was never gonna please everyone because non MMORPG could ever live up to waht they built up in their own minds from Smed and Co's cryptic statements and vague allusions.For me personally I'm interested but not convinced.

However expect the bitterness of the former group to consume these forums for sometime.It's par for the course here.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

They should have been aiming to please their fanbase first and foremost..

not WoW players....AGAIN.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

You gotta admit, it was pretty hilarious watching everyone up on that perch for the announcement. Afterwards, half fell forward, the other half fell backward.

These boards have gone beyond /popcorn worthy now. Think I'll have to step away until it calms down. I wonder where Darkpony found solace?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

You gotta admit, it was pretty hilarious watching everyone up on that perch for the announcement. Afterwards, half fell forward, the other half fell backward.

These boards have gone beyond /popcorn worthy now. Think I'll have to step away until it calms down. I wonder where Darkpony found solace?

probably under a different alias.

Or SWTOR,since he originally loved it so very much.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

EQN definatly looks like it could be awesome, and while know you can't please everyone, it kinda sad to see how many whine about nonsense..

Themepark? how? I guees you were to busy crying about the graphics to catch even a fraction of the info given.

As for the graphics even being "cartoony" or "wow-clone", did you stop watching as soon as you saw the kerran shoulderpads? overall the game looks far more like bioshock infinite or dishonored, both of which most would agree have awesome graphics.

Personally I think they need to tone down the shoulder pads, in specific the kerran ones, but other then that the graphics are quite awesome, more so if you consider that its voxel based.

Also knowing SoE's history I am not to optimistic that they won't screw up, however the graphics are not the problem, and a themepark it clearly is not.

And even if they screw it up, the innovative features they are trying will play a important part in future mmos.

So regardless ill be thankful that someone finally started pushing the genre toward something new and exciting.

PS: I doubt alot of the original EQ players played eq because of the "gritty" graphics, I know I didnt.

Infact most gamers back then were far more intrested in gameplay then graphics, for obvious reasons.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by tank017

They should have been aiming to please their fanbase first and foremost..

not WoW players....AGAIN.

To that I agree, I don't understand why these companies always forget their own fanbase when creating new games.  I pleaded to Mythic to create a DAOC 2, but instead they sold out to EA and made Warhammer Online instead.  I pleaded to Turbine to re-create AC1, but they went with LOTR Online.  Same with SOE, I was hoping they would make an upgraded EQ when they first made EQ2, but we all know how that went.  And here they are once again. flipping their fanbase off.

Oh well it is what it is, all companies are doing it.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

LOL ...OMG EQ Next is gonna be the next coming of our Lord  and Saviour on a popsicle stick!!    Damn!!  I need another diaper again, I am so excited!!   We are going to have OW FFA  PvP!!   wait...oh  ...wait.....ORGASM!!

Oh the graphics are cartoony.....image

Oh well,  on to the next game to hype and then bash! image

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by killahh
    The game looks great! The graphics a tad cartoons but so what. The mechanics of this game look to be awsome as well. 

I'm not going to argue with you on what you liked or didn't. 

You agree on the graphics.  You say the mechanics are awesome.  Now, i can't argue with that, because I don't know if the mechanic are awesome.  Virtually no mechanics were shown.

- How does combat work?   not shown.

- How is the group / solo / raid content?  not shown.

- How is crafting? not shown.

- How is itemization? not shown.

- How are the classes? not shown.

- What's PvP like?  not shown.

- What's questing like? not shown.  (they did mention that dynamic quests exist). 

- How deep is character progression / custumization?  not shown.

you see where i am going with this?  I can't say that the game has "bad mechanics".  Because they haven't been shown. Aside from Rally Calls (which do sound awesome) none of the game's key systems have been shown.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    They don't really need to please everyone. If they make a great game they'll have one of the few choices for MMOs and people who don't like the art style will still suck it up and play.