Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I had almost no interest in EQN, but now... I'm not so sure. I really like the whole "you gotta explore to unlock stuff" angle they're taking. And destructible terrain? Sounds fun (but it also sounds like a griefer's paradise).

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Hurray a graphic style that won't look outdated 2 years after launch like EQ2 did! 

Really, can't people realize 'realistic' makes it extreme easy for the game to look graphically outdated extra quick?

Exactly. I'm personally a fan of realistic art styles, but the reason we're seeing these stylized approaches a lot lately has to do with the fact they hold up way better over time.

For those of us who are not fans of cartoons, how well they age is beside the point.  I am very disappointed in the reveals.  The graphics don't appeal to me, the action combat pisses me off, the stupidly short skill bar...etc.  I'd have liked an EQ clone better than a GW2 clone.

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60
    Loved it! When is the release date?
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

If it comes out on both PC and PS4 im not gonna play

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Love the short skill bar. I hated have to pilled up 6 bars to hold the spells and 3 horizontal bard to hold the buff spells. Love it! The hates please stay with EQ and EQ2, we don't mind.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782

Byebye real life. Nice knowing ya...

Funny the very people who asks about innovation are the ones stuck on the past. Long skill bars with 23 spells each are the past. Also the cartoon stylish  is the future, visit AoC to see how dated the graphics are? Then visit CO to see how good the graphics still.
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    This reminds me a LOT of Neverwinter Online... I  can only hope , not.
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Honestly, a lot of ideas that have been tried and failed in other games.

This is a lot like Final Fantasy 14 1.0.

No classes?  Awesome in theory, yet so many games have tried it, remember SWG?  The game that THE SAME company took from skill based to class / level based advancement.  They didn't do that because they wanted to kill their game,they thought it would benefit their game.

It's honestly surprising to me how many things they are doing that other games did and failed because of them.

The graphics are ok, but they look VERY Guild Wars 2 to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that.

The Character models are more cartoony than I expected.

The ground AoE's being red circles like FFXIV or Neverwinter or any other new game coming out..  Honestly the video looked much like the Ifrit Fight from FFXIV ARR...

This isn't anything new or innovative, and it shouldn't have been Best of Show for E3.

Disappointed.

I personally believe you didn't watch any of the live video reveal. There is a LOT of innovation in this game which has me excited. 

Firstly, this is not 'classless' you pick your main class, you then unlock more jobs as you play and explore to a grand total of 40. You then 'multi-class' your main class with the additional jobs you unlock in game, but only if you wish to. You can also take skills from ALL the jobs you've unlocked and build a unique class to fit your play style. Goodness man! What the heck was you watching????

The red circles were not even mentioned in the reveal, they are just commonly used now as telegraphs in action RPG's. 

I really suggest you look up their 4 holy grails that they intend for this game, if you don't find any of what the propose exciting and innovative then you REALLY need to stop playing MMO's because you are going to be always let down. 

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Awesome. I'm in. GW2 is my favorite MMO right now and Wildstar will be when it comes out, so a "newer, better" version of those 2 games coming out in a year and a half (just my guess) fits my plate perfectly, since it will give me a chance to play Wildstar and then ESO and then EQN! I can imagine how all the true/hardcore/whatever fanboys of EQ are pissed right now....haha...welcome to the future of MMOs...
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by wesmo
    Funny the very people who asks about innovation are the ones stuck on the past. Long skill bars with 23 spells each are the past. Also the cartoon stylish  is the future, visit AoC to see how dated the graphics are? Then visit CO to see how good the graphics still.

Worst example ever...AoC is still one of, if not THE, best looking MMOs on the market today...

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

how could the get the world so right, but use wow armor on the characters.   

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Ok, SOE has started showing their hand... time for Blizzard to start copying it and making it better.
  • RazzlorRazzlor Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Hate Hate Hate the cartoon graphics and oversized armor.. so freakin dissapointed. Some of the features sound intresting and pretty cool but Idk if I can get over the graphics to actually play it.......smh
  • UngodlyUngodly Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by iamjason1989

WHY WOULD YOU CHOSE cartoony art style SOE?

What they are trying to do sounds interesting but look at the  Vah Shir and his fucking shoulder pad.

WTF

Because when you make it realistic, you end up with an outdated looking engine like EQ2. When that game out, it looked pretty good!! Now it's looks painfully bad, while WoW still holds up for the most part.

A more "animated" style is lot more timeless than going realistic.

Honestly, this isn't even opinion...it's been shared by developers of various games time and time again as to why they choose this method. I love realistic graphics, too, but there is your answer.

There are classes, and also class specific weapons. Get the full stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AKbk4qGfBGE
  • FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216

1. Graphics: I normally don't like stylized or cartoony graphics but in this case they help add expressiveness to the world and characters.

2.Combat: On the surface it looks like the latest trends of mmos. I'll have to get my hands on it to see how meaty it is. But destructability looks good.

3.Landmark: Are the tools going to be good? Because if they are, I can picture this feature getting huge like LBP. Since there will be no professional story writing along with these. Where would it stand out best? PvP?

4. Emergent gameplay: Permanence and world affectiing, it's about time a dev has the balls to aim for this.

5. Expansions: What kind of expansions would come out in a game like this? More player tools? What else?

• bazingabazinga Member UncommonPosts: 34

You may not know it yet, but once you play EQN and experience the Voxel world, EVERY OTHER MMO out there will DIE for you :)

So you better start liking it sooner rather than later ;)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Cartoonish games look dated from the get go, so what is your point exactly?  Vanguard still looks beautiful after all these years.  Short skill bars with shallow action combat are nothing more than the herald of console gamers taking over the PC MMO genre.  If you can't handle two or three skill bars of abilities, then the issue is you, not the game.

• RPGPorksterRPGPorkster Member Posts: 77
    Can this game even be called a MMORPG?  It's morelike action multipler diablo fest.
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

The more stylistic art style allows the game to age more gracefully than those ultra-realistic looking graphics.  It also allows SOE to market to a larger consumer base because not every potential customer has a pimped out gaming rig that costs upwards of 2-3 grand.

Otherwise the game sounds interesting, I will keep an eye on the development.

• Originally posted by discord235
    Awesome. I'm in. GW2 is my favorite MMO right now and Wildstar will be when it comes out, so a "newer, better" version of those 2 games coming out in a year and a half (just my guess) fits my plate perfectly, since it will give me a chance to play Wildstar and then ESO and then EQN! I can imagine how all the true/hardcore/whatever fanboys of EQ are pissed right now....haha...welcome to the future of MMOs...

Thank you for this post, pretty much sums up the type of people you can look forward to playing this Disney Adventure game with.

• Originally posted by nickster29

The more stylistic art style allows the game to age more gracefully than those ultra-realistic looking graphics.  It also allows SOE to market to a larger consumer base because not every potential customer has a pimped out gaming rig that costs upwards of 2-3 grand.

Otherwise the game sounds interesting, I will keep an eye on the development.

While that may be true, why go with the disproportionate bodies and weapons? 

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Wow, so much negative reaction about the art direction...lol.

I personally think it looks awesome. I don't mind that it doesn't look gritty as I always envision Everquest to be a light-hearted adventure experience.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Vanguard still looks beautiful after all these years. 

I don't think the Vanguard i played is the same one you played.