Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll]Are you happy with Everquest Next?

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I went in neutral and having zero expectations/hype and I left neutral with zero expectations/hype

Nothing that awes me 

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

This is EXACTLY how I imagined it. How others can be upset after reading all the information leading up to the reveal is mighty curious. Every single bit of information give previously could only lead to what this presentation revealed. One would have to be brain dead not to think EQNext would be exactly this.

I'm very curious to how to game feels while playing it and how EQ lore plays out. I look forward to seeing the similarities of EQNext and CU with regards to crafting and construction. Hopefully EQNext is the more heavily pve version while CU the pvp version in play style but both fun.

I for one am fine with the graphics. Low enough poly to make development faster and how people expect elite top end graphics in a game with such a proposed huge world and full environmental (de)construction leads to questioning their level of intelligence. Looks doesn't mater. Game play matters. If it releases unfinished and a buggy mess that will kill it ... not graphics. I do not believe most here understand the impact of high end graphics has on development time. You only shoot yourself in the foot for making the best in tech game.

You stay sassy!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    So far I like everything about it.  The Multi-classing, the depth of the world, and the AI emergent features are what really got me interested.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Tamanous

This is EXACTLY how I imagined it. How others can be upset after reading all the information leading up to the reveal is mighty curious. Every single bit of information give previously could only lead to what this presentation revealed. One would have to be brain dead not to think EQNext would be exactly this.

I definitely agree. It is indeed not EQ3 and it's probably not going to compete with EQ1/2 in the slightest. It's rather different. It's sandboxy. I didn't really predict the Minecraft-in-Norrath thing since I didn't really think a company would try it, though.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

The ideas are and innovations are great, but it's really way too early to tell what the actual game will turn out to be.

The stylistic graphics I could live with, but I hate giant shoulderpads and 12 foot long weapons, etc.  And, like someone else mentioned, I worry that the toony graphics will attract children which will lead to very, very dumbed-down gameplay.

Right now, it looks nothing like Everquest, so far, but it could still be a great game.

The combat is the #1 yuck factor I've seen.  While I'm a fan of action-combat, watching that video didn't look appealing.  It seemed like a cross between GW2 and Diablo.  Don't get me wrong, I liked GW2's combat(mostly), but the video made their combat look really, really shallow.

Watching that guy slam his hammer into the ground with the same animation 4 times in a row made me think of mouse-click combat like Diablo.

I think the game could really go either way.  I'm interested to hear more details, and it sounds fun, but they almost entirely glossed over the actual gameplay systems.  I'm waiting to hear how the gameplay mechanics will actually be, rather than just the environment/world mechanics.

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by krulux

I liked what I saw... and I will play it and help them create it.  I think some of you based on your comments should just exit the building.  EQN is not being made for you.  Based off some comments I don't think your game could be made. 

I don't understand where all the hate and cynicism comes from in today's gamer.  Some of the comments are so narrow and petty, I'm glad you won't be playing EQN.

/good riddance

Yes, this seems to be a real problem nowaways. Moreover, I think that many of those guys are just stupid followers without an own opinion. If someone says this is shit, many people start to repeat that in a hillarious way even though deep inside they have nothing against it. There's so much hate in this business. I really liked the director of development - he was a bit nervous but you could see that he loves his work in a passionate way. I hope he won't read all comments here. 

@action combat vs traditional combat

Well, it depends on what approach they are following. GW2 is more action oriented and not so much about tactics, however, Tera is going another way - you need to think more about your skill usuage and there are multiple creative boss events where you have to act more tactical in order to defeat. If they follow the path Tera has started going and build it even further, it could become great.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

It looks so WoW like.

This will be an awesome game for WoW players and casuals, I can never see it attract hardcore players.

You have to find your spells by exploring, same thing with dungeons and just about everything in the game revolves around this concept. What in that description yells WOW players and casuals .... please do tell me because I am about to lol out of my seat.

• NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47

MMORPG.coms E3 2013 Awards

Best of Show: Everquest Next

"Say what? You thought this one wasn’t at E3? Well, really... it wasn’t in any official capacity. But we were treated to an early look at what SOE has planned for the game’s unveiling in August and we were quite simply blown away by every little detail we saw. This is going to sound like a cop-out, but we can't say why we are choosing EQN as our Best of Show because we've been sworn to secrecy until the big debut in August. What we can say is that we saw grand plans for the world's largest sandbox and it was more than enough to stand head and shoulders above any game we saw at E3. When Sony pulls back the curtain later this summer, you will not be disappointed. EverQuest Next is this year's E3 Best of Show, and in just a couple months you'll all understand why. We promise."

You must have seen something different to what I just saw...to say it stands head and shoulders above ANY game you saw at E3 is ridiculous. I wouldn't even say that from what we saw it stands head and shoulders above any MMO.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by vorrin5

While I'm not 100% sold on the art direction or the mechanics yet, I'll give it a try.

I'm really wondering what will make grouping worthwhile and if it will function just like GW2. I'm also wondering how travel will work and if it will require other players.

I would have liked it more if the world was set up in a somewhat realistic fashion.

There could be a far stronger community if there was a sense of teamwork that proliferated the world. Keep the destruction, but make it more difficult and require players/npc's to rebuild, instead of making it regenerate. Subterranean lands could be discovered by miners and through the use of spells that tear away at the earth, blow it apart, or  turn it to a liquid that could be drawn out, channeled away, or pumped out by machinery that could be built to facilitate this as well.

Roving bandit players could build on outlying areas and raid NPC based merchant caravans, which would also be under attack by orcs. That way, even the players that choose to be evil would also face difficulties/competition from their decision. Other players could report activity and summon guards. The bandit players might have to follow behind the orc warbands or may even assist them and gain favor with them over time. Those orcs could even wage war on the goblins or others and those players could assist them and move up in stature within the group. If that group of orcs is wiped out completely, all memory of their deeds might be lost. Word can spread and be lost, depending on interactions with other warbands. Orcs might be prone to infighting and petty squabbles that lead to all out war. This kind of depth could extend to every race. Some might never be cooperative though, no matter what you do for them.

There is so much they could have done, but there is still time for them to play with new ideas and concepts (I hope).

Most of what you just described is looking like how the game will work.  Not sure what you are complaining about......

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Concepts sound like a lot of fun.

I didn't like the giant explosions during every fight tho. I hope they tone that down.

Yeah a guy at work brought that up as well and I agree. Couldn't see a thing.

Its obvious there is still a lot of work to be done on that game, there was a lot of animation gliding all over the shop, my guess is the big explosions is to mask the fact that the destruction doesnt look the way they want it to be yet, if I had to guess from my experience the destruction part was scripted and its likely that the explosion was added to mask the fact that there was probably some trickery ( mind you I dont doubt they are gonna have some pretty sweet destructable environments, but you could tell it wasnt final especially as the golem went through the trees you coudl tell they went from solid to break in place into preset pieces ).

My point of view on the game so far:

- Love the artstyle - yep I said it I actually like I think it makes the game more future proof I am tired of brown "try to be" realistic graphics by now 

- Love the concept of emerging AI and mobs/NPCs actually moving around the map and being aware of their surroundings and changing game conditions - this is not something new I have had plenty of talks about this many years ago im glad its coming to life 

- Truly player created content  - absolutely love this I am hoping landmark will be the editor sandbox and that you can import stuff into the game looking forward to creating my own abode with it.

- Procedurally generated layered content - pretty amazing idea, I can see this keeping things fresh where you can just continuously explore new areas, dungeons etc.. pretty awesome idea, good to finally see procedurally generated content being put to good use in MMORPGs

- "Make your own quest system" - really love the fact that there wont be dictated quests and its really about exploring and really making your own story in a way.

All in all, really looking forward to this game :D

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I definitely agree. It is indeed not EQ3 and it's probably not going to compete with EQ1/2 in the slightest. It's rather different. It's sandboxy. I didn't really predict the Minecraft-in-Norrath thing since I didn't really think a company would try it, though.

It is indeed very sandboxy. I wonder how they're going to handle the world destruction. In the combat video it looked like the world was readily destructible by anybody. Would this mean people can go around blowing up other people's castles? We still have a lot to learn about this game.

That being said I like the minecraft aspect of it a LOT. At the moment I'm not at all hopeful about the combat, it doesn't seem to be anything special or out of the ordinary and I hate the current "ordinary" which is tab targetting or some kind of "action based tab targetting." Also I'm obviously disappointed that there was little (or no?) mention of pvp. I never expected this game to be ow pvp with loot (though I had hoped), but I expected the worst case scenario would be some kind of faction system with guilds going to war and fighting each other's cities/castles. Maybe that will still be the case.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I wotet yes just becouse I will try this game, but I'm not happy with what I have seen, well time will tell,maybe it is best game ever.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

looks like WOW, and I like the new ideas / concepts. I'll play.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by NH03

Way too difficult to tell right now, but the game has a lot of interesting ideas that I am looking forward to trying out.

I wonder how blizzard will handle Titan's unveiling compared to EQNext.   All I know, is that WoW will surely fall by the wayside against both of these, despite blizzard trying to keep both afloat for sure.

How ironic will it be when Titan launches as a more hardcore, sandbox, realistic-looking MMO and just destroys EQN?  I couldn't stand WoW, but I will laugh and laugh if Titan is more EQ than EQ and ends up killing EQN.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

While I am not suprised that it wont appeal to everyone ( Lets face it, no game can ), I have to say I agree that it is far better anything I got to see at E3. ( Even though Destiny and The Division both look very promissing )

Even if this is not your cup of tea, you would have to be a fool to argue that this isnt innovation, this is easily the most innovative steps we've seen take in a mmo the last 10 years.

While I know from experience that SoE might very well screw this up, I would be fine with that, because its still innovative enough that it will likely inspire a whole new generation of mmorpgs regardless of eqnext's sucsess.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by lovefist

MMORPG.coms E3 2013 Awards

Best of Show: Everquest Next

"Say what? You thought this one wasn’t at E3? Well, really... it wasn’t in any official capacity. But we were treated to an early look at what SOE has planned for the game’s unveiling in August and we were quite simply blown away by every little detail we saw. This is going to sound like a cop-out, but we can't say why we are choosing EQN as our Best of Show because we've been sworn to secrecy until the big debut in August. What we can say is that we saw grand plans for the world's largest sandbox and it was more than enough to stand head and shoulders above any game we saw at E3. When Sony pulls back the curtain later this summer, you will not be disappointed. EverQuest Next is this year's E3 Best of Show, and in just a couple months you'll all understand why. We promise."

You must have seen something different to what I just saw...to say it stands head and shoulders above ANY game you saw at E3 is ridiculous. I wouldn't even say that from what we saw it stands head and shoulders above any MMO.

Nice flashback, a look at why you don't let the press hype things up for you.  Back then nobody knew anything about EQ Next, so this forum was hyped with mostly positive things, things people had hoped EQ Next would be like.  It would be kind of funny to browse back to just a month ago to see what some people think EQ Next would have.  Now that cat's out of the bag, I can guarantee you there will be a lot more criticism, the honeymoon's over for a lot of the people.  What they've shown so far may have blown some people's minds, but it likely also disappointed many.

There are some good things with EQ Next that I like, but equally as many things I don't like.   I'm still on the fence myself, will need to see more.  I will say that nothing I've seen spells "omg" just yet.  Not saying it won't come, but those of us that have played Warhammer Online, Guild Wars 2, Rift, etc.. are quite familiar with a lot of what they talked about already.  The game looks like one gigantic public quest, which I actually liked PQ's.  But I've always thought WAR over-did it with PQ's.  By the later levels I was tired of them, and that I was hoping for some good 'ol old school dungeon crawling, which there was none to be had.  You have to be careful with public quests.  Like all public quests in WAR and Guild Wars 2, it's boring and some are simply not doable if there aren't enough people around to complete them.

Destructibility is nice, but it can easily be overdone. Are we going to play the game and find holes everywhere?  Are all buildings going to be torn down all the time?

Lots of questions still.

p.s. I'm a bit sick and tired of SOE's push to get players to create items and missions.  If I'm gonna pay to play a game, I want content fed to me by professionals.  I don't need SOE to try to use player studio as an excuse to sell items on the marketplace as all player created items are to be sold with CASH.  If you've watched the keynote address for Everquest 1, Everquest 2, and Everquest Next, there's a trend.  They are all pushing for player studios and wanting players to make items.  And all that means is more and more items will be for sale on the marketplace, rather than put into the game by default.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by grifj
    Originally posted by NH03

Way too difficult to tell right now, but the game has a lot of interesting ideas that I am looking forward to trying out.

I wonder how blizzard will handle Titan's unveiling compared to EQNext.   All I know, is that WoW will surely fall by the wayside against both of these, despite blizzard trying to keep both afloat for sure.

How ironic will it be when Titan launches as a more hardcore, sandbox, realistic-looking MMO and just destroys EQN?  I couldn't stand WoW, but I will laugh and laugh if Titan is more EQ than EQ and ends up killing EQN.

I fall into the I like what I saw catagory. Blizzard announced they are going back to the drawing board with Titan. The new timeline is 2016 so Titan dropped off my radar.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Also another note on landmark, while I expect alot of penis shaped stuff from people, looking at minecraft and its community and the amazing stuff a lot of people produce I am really looking forward to these amazing things being translated into EQN content.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119

Definitely playing this game now. TESO is slowly falling off my radar and AA may never get here. The cartoony graphics suck but the destructible environment and no leveling.  Hello eq next. I am now in love.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Holophonist

It is indeed very sandboxy. I wonder how they're going to handle the world destruction. In the combat video it looked like the world was readily destructible by anybody. Would this mean people can go around blowing up other people's castles? We still have a lot to learn about this game.

That is what I want to know, and it's an extremely important point.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

Mostly ewwww.Started out okay.  But where is the EQ?? A couple toons blasting through 50 mobs like they were nothing?  Ridiculous graphics effects to the point you can't see anything on the screen.  No thought required at all, just blasting through everything. And is the entire game gonna be instanced???  Must be based on the destruction you can do.Multiclassing?  Ok, I suppose, but two weapons per class?  Limited abilities per class?  No buying spells? I don't know.. my hype train derailed after watching this.  And I'm the type of guy that enjoys playing Minecraft...

Mine craft is the most lame game ever. Figures

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• RPGPorksterRPGPorkster Member Posts: 77

The game looks awsome BUT it's not a replacement for EQ1.

It's like Cubeworld meets Diablo, meets Guildwars.

There seemed to be no challenge in killing mobs.

There was no sign of hit points or spell buttons or chess like combination stratergy.

Classes seem to be uber straight off and no build up roleplaying from small to great.  This will suit children and teen players.

Hopefully the game is not based around Console Controllers or it's a major disapointment and wasted wait.

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

It looks so WoW like.

This will be an awesome game for WoW players and casuals, I can never see it attract hardcore players.

This.  I'm trying to figure out how marketing had the gall to throw "hardcore" anywhere near this game.

We know almost nothing about the pve or pvp yet. It's impossible to say whether or not the game will be "hardcore".

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

EverQuest Next is “largest sandbox MMO ever designed,” says SOE’s John Smedley http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

It is really hard to say since they havent revealed anything yet.

Need more data.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

The game will probaply be a blast to play. i will most likely have fun.

But this is in no way whatsoever Everquest. it does not look a thing like it.