Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

OK, My concern with BYO Class system. I fear in the name of balance, the classes  will be come homogenized and muddled where each class has similar abilities and/or overall effects but with different names and animations.

Press 1 for your standard melee attk, 2 for your generic ranged attack, 3 is your nuke and 4 is your AOE. But the good news is, you can pick the name and animation from the list.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    I did really like the comment on how the Orcs could just be released into the world then they do whatever they want to do. If this means removal of some static spawns will be great as long as quests can coincide with migrating mobs etc. 
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

As predicted a great groan was heard.

EQN players came face to face with their game.

Expectations were popped and reality will finally settle in.

To those who did enjoy what you saw. Kudos.

As for me? It looked good. Like any politician there is many promises being made. Lets see if they are kept.

Game looks exactly like Wildstar. To the telegraphs and giant robots.

Final thought.

There will never be an MMO to please EVERY audience.

I am i no doubt that this will be a blast to play.

But they should not have named in EQnext when i looks nothing like any of the 3 previous EQ's.

They might asswell named it disney online it seems to resemble that more then EQ.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

well what can u do?:)

Trolls want get middle attension here.

Tis game will be huge succees.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Blizzard your turn.

Yes please.  Some neat ideas but the graphics are a deal breaker.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

The future of mmorpgs... with those graphics... no, no and nope.

Pathfinder, looks to be the future, Archage the future, Black Desert is the future... nothing SOE can create can be the future because the investors would never roll the dice on something "new".

Good article Bill, just a waste  of time in my opinion.

Compare SOE Future, with

Yeah....... I never thought I would say this - but my interest in Archeage, ESO, and Black Desert just skyrocketed.  :/

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

well what can u do?:)

Trolls want get middle attension here.

Tis game will be huge succees.

Of course, because everyone who expressed concern or doubts is a troll right? I mean this is going to be the game to redefine the MMO genre won't it? How can anyone not see it?  Even though we heard that last year?........and the year before?.......and the one before that too right?

This game's success has yet to be determined. There are more unanswered factors than what we have seen that can ruin what we did see. SoE still needs to pull this off. And that is where most of these games fall apart. They wouldn't be the 1st ones to come out of the gate with a decent reveal and leave the genre asking "What happened?" later down the road.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

DAT Impressive!

You stay sassy!

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Taranx
    I did really like the comment on how the Orcs could just be released into the world then they do whatever they want to do. If this means removal of some static spawns will be great as long as quests can coincide with migrating mobs etc. 

It certainly SOUNDS very interesting but we will see if SOE DELIVERS it.

and it's about time MMO has better AI.

it's SOE aftereall.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Overall, I like what I saw and heard. My only real concern is how crafting will be handled, and if the game allows for open world housing. The creation of Landmark leads me to believe they have separated the sandbox from the core game. We'll see I guess.

That's exactly what I picked up as well based on things he said. 

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by kingotnw
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Originally posted by Brumazk

Graphics and combat animations as well as combat look awful and I really doubt that they can pull off the whole dynamic content concept. Thta din't work in SWG, why would it work here? This and the desctructability thing look like they gonna be exploited day and night by doodz trying to be cool instead of "playing along as the devs intended".

It's gonna be interesting to follow this one but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and WoW called, they want their giant shoulder pads back.

Brumazk

+1 and lol'd

Also since the enviroment will "heal" after a while so that players cant ruin the whole fken game world in the first week, I realized they havent shown a single sandbox feature. Only announced a separate little sandbox builder game.

If you watched the video reveal... The town building and smart mob(s) is about as sandbox as you can get. God... People just love to complain about everything. I'm disappointed in MMORPG fans... They get what they ask for, but complain about the manner in which it is being given to them. CRAZY.

no

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Soundtrack by Elton John?
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    OMG, I am stoked about all of what I have seen, cannot wait!!!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I'm gunna act like one of the seven dwarves... hopping up and down the land blowing holes into the ground everywhere.  WHY?  Because I can.  Then everyone'll say.. oh that Ike... blew holes and made the world into swiss cheese.  

:-)

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Looks innovative, finally something fresh and new
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I liked a lot of what I saw. The character models did look a little more cartoonish than I expected, but no where near wildstar. The landscapes are much better. Wildstar's landscapes are just like their characters, extremely cartoonish.

It seems in the gameplay videos, there is less of a cartoon look to me than in some of the screenshots, or maybe it is just concept art.

I really like the battle damage to terrain and damaging it to assist fighting mobs. Never played a MMO with anything like that.

Skill based, hmm not my favorite. The way it is described so far, not too sure. Think there needs to be limiting factors, like prerequisites to get other higher skills so you can't just end up with the best heals, sword damage, magic blasts, armor, etc. They mentioned cores, which suggests specialization, but then they mention you can get everything. Don't see a mention of you being able to use everything (as in the best of each type of skills) at the same time, which would be a good thing so not everyone is exactly the same.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Overall, I like what I saw and heard. My only real concern is how crafting will be handled, and if the game allows for open world housing. The creation of Landmark leads me to believe they have separated the sandbox from the core game. We'll see I guess.

That's exactly what I picked up as well based on things he said. 

I didn't pick that up at all.To me Landmark seems like an asset creation tool,most past "sandbox" games only let you play with the assets the devs give to you.This may allow you to create whole new things to use in the game to shape what you build in EQN and make it unique.This is a feature in non game sandboxes like Second Life.

What we were shown today was limited really to one area and a couple of characters to demonstrate soem core concepts they are striving for.How these turn out is still wait and see.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by evianwater

I blame WoW for this cartoony crap.

That was my only gripe about the game though, and i got over it in SWToR, I'll get over it in this game. I'll look at Archage and Black Desert for realistic graphics and proportions.

To be fair though. SWToR is far more realistic than this.

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

There are so many great features listed in the article.  The problem is every MMORPG out there has made a long list of features for their game before it launched then never delivered. Either that or the features are delivered and then turn out to be better on paper than in implementation.

I sincerely hope it is as good as it sounds.  I just like to be pleasantly surprised rather than deeply disappointed, so I'll keep telling myself EQN is going to fail.

• NakbulaNakbula Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Anyway... looks awsome. A realmmorpg we need atm =) go SOE !!!!!
  • Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Wow, that presentation ... So much reuse from other games, lack of innovation, pie in the sky theory-design that we'll have to wait to see if they can deliver (when others, along with themselves, have been unable to do so previously for the same) ...

Bill, in your editorial, you refer to this as evolutionary. That may be true, but evolution isn't necessarily a good thing. In fact, it tends to lead to extinction more often than not.

From what I saw today, I was unimpressed, and in fact, quite discouraged. It looks like this hype train is derailing

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    I am now own the eq next bandwagon. This game sounds so awesome.  I want this more than AA or TESO combined. 
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Hurray a graphic style that won't look outdated 2 years after launch like EQ2 did! 

Really, can't people realize 'realistic' makes it extreme easy for the game to look graphically outdated extra quick?

Exactly. I'm personally a fan of realistic art styles, but the reason we're seeing these stylized approaches a lot lately has to do with the fact they hold up way better over time.

This makes absolutely no sense. So games shouldn't make realistic graphics and go with what you deem as 'stylized' which as far as Im concerned means its already outdated? Thank god single player games don't follow this philosophy. There are a ton of games severals years old with realistic graphics that still look great today. In fact, some of them that are older will look much better today to A LOT of folks because people upgrade their PCs and then can max out on settings that they couldn't before.

There Is Always Hope!

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

The fighting video reminded me of Neverwinter due to the red telegraphed attack zones.

The "classless" system reminded me of Elder Scrolls Online.

The graphics are cartoonish but I can live with that and it may grow on me.  Besides, as others have stated it tends to "age" better than realistic graphics.

There was NO mention of Ratonga or Iksar races.... sigh.  I was looking forward to playing one of those two races.

Love the Landmark system and I cannot even hardly wait to give that a go.

And for once... NO mention of PvP... got to love it.  I know it won't last and there will be people running around with pitch-forks and torches looking for Dev's until it's at least mentioned, but I can still have my moment of thinking there will be no PvP. :)

Ratero.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    On a positive note, though I am not a fan of the 'stylized' approach, it doesn't look as horrible and childish as Wildstar. I think there are a lot of excellent and exciting concepts. Concept wise it seems like an big upgrade over most themeparks available today. I'll be curious to see how the concepts translate into reality. Will be watching this game closely :-).

There Is Always Hope!