Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next: Mind=Blown!

13»

Comments

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I had some time for it all to sink in. I'm really impressed, not with the game itself, but the engine and AI. I'm not sure how the hell they will pull it off, but the information being processed when the environment is being chewed to pieces by multiple toons is crazy. How the hell will they pull it off?

There is a ton of scope here for gameplay, crafting and building. You and go and dig yourself a underground house or secret Nazi bunker, pretty much anywhere. Will be fun digging underneath some guild hall causing a massive cave in... But I'm sure there will be limits of some kind.

The AI is impressive, if they can pull it off. I like the idea of no permanent spawn areas and mobs deciding for themselves based on real time conditions. I also like the permanent change to the world, although by the sounds of it, it will be a server wide event.

I don't like the Disney type graphics, although I understand why they did it given they wanted facial expressions to be easy to see, I am also concerned about the combat in that it seems to be built on the assumption that it will be for the PS4.

Other than that Pretty impressed. I would like to see SOE use the game as a framework for another more grounded hardcore game. I am also looking forward to see how other developers will respond. Let the games begin!

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Xthos

I missed a little of the broadcast, but I didn't get a sense on how open/instanced it was going to be, how crafting would work, harvesting...

Voxel games are full seamless world with, usually, procedural terrain generation (the terrain haven't been created by a dev, but was generated by a computer using a seed). They have no instances. None, nada. We know that the undergrounds is made through procedural terrain already.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I have mixed feelings from the Sony Live feed today..  I don't mind the cartoony graphics because it allows for creative graphics without having to hamstring yourself into "realism".. BUT.. I wasn't happy to see the graphic art action combat.  This tells me that there is no plans for large scale assaults using 20-30 people or more..  My graphics card will blow up if that many people are doing ALL that and more..  Especially in a destructible world.. 

I'm curious about the 40 class thing..  This greatly reminds me of Rift and with that game, having all those choices didn't mean everything that devs hyped it to be.. Some classes were OP, while others were totally lacking..  I did like the weapon / skill option which reminds me of GW2.. One, this implies me that the UI will be simple and limited.. NO chance of having a 5 line combat action bar.. Which also makes this addon unfriendly.. :)

Too much of the video they were showing actually turned me off when thinking of running from point A to point B.. OMG, Is the entire world this jagged and bumpy?   I hope there are more smooth running areas then the Grand Canyon run they were doing..  Also I'm not a fan of busting thru 3 feet of ground and dropping into another area.... ??? Talk about Florida sinkholes.. 

I did love the idea of the new AI and world changing events that take months.. BUT, we'll see how the players work with that..  People have a strange way of abusing, exploiting the game to destroy the fun it was meant to be..  Since it was promoted as a sandbox, I'm still holding out for more important intel such as crafting gear, weapons, houses? and will there be hobbies like fishing? 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I don't like the limited action bar system.

but is EQN coming to PS4 now? The limited action bar kind of hinted at it, but I didnt see the show.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I just don't see how it is possible to have every NPC "unique" and not scripted per say but based on their own wants/desires, and have all the content in the game one time "if one person does it, something new is generated to take it's place" kind of thing.

I mean, based on what I've seen, they are actually building a truly living, breathing world that will actually be different every time you log in and each action and reaction is unique.

Is it even possible?

If it is... if they ACTUALLY pull this off, it will redefine not only the MMORPG genre, but all of gaming.

How do you stop exploits? Griefing?

How do you create unique triggers for EVERY player in a MMO world so they can advance their skills / skill set.

No levels, purely exploration based progression?

So many questions...

But man, in Smed hype talk OMG is it true? Speak - I am absolutely stunned.

There is this MMO which generates mobs with different damage shields,lvl,loot,hp,dmg and even names.

nothing new.

"dyna mobs" of AO

ofc its freaking cool if they are using something similar.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I don't like the limited action bar system.

but is EQN coming to PS4 now? The limited action bar kind of hinted at it, but I didnt see the show.

That was my impression too.. From what I could tell it looks to be very very very PS4 friendly.. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing..  But my gut tells me this will be coming out to the PS4 as well..

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I just don't see how it is possible to have every NPC "unique" and not scripted per say but based on their own wants/desires, and have all the content in the game one time "if one person does it, something new is generated to take it's place" kind of thing.

I mean, based on what I've seen, they are actually building a truly living, breathing world that will actually be different every time you log in and each action and reaction is unique.

Is it even possible?

If it is... if they ACTUALLY pull this off, it will redefine not only the MMORPG genre, but all of gaming.

How do you create unique triggers for EVERY player in a MMO world so they can advance their skills / skill set.

So many questions...

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    For the people asking if all this is even possible? Of course it is. its 2013. Think about what games are doing now and what they could ACTUALLY be doing. we are seeing brand new "ground breaking" games come out that are actually using 5 year old technology. If EQN actually grasps ahold of what our top of the line gaming technology is capable of then i think even Snowden would be impressed :)

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I think a lot of us would have felt a lot better about the presentation if the lion king was trying to kill a rat for 5 minutes by calmly swinging his sword once every 6 seconds...
  • ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    I love the over all look and feel of the game. Especially all the different moves you make while exploring.

I agree, like how agile the movement is. Traveling will be more fun.

Overall, very promising intro to the game, looking forward to hearing more on crafting, pvp, travel, raids, server types, etc.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

I loved what I saw! I think if done right this could end up being my main mmorpg. I almost could see sub-ing to it.

They've taken some of the best features of other titles and pulled them all together.

Rift, Warhammer: Public / Dynamic quests

Minecraft-ish: Destuctible environment, with player building

FFXI / XIV: Swapable Multiple classes all on one character

GW2: Equiped Weapon controlling active act skills.

The parkour travel is just icing for this cake.

I know some of the old school EQ'rs will not like this at all. I hate that for you guys, but I love what I saw. And yes I played since launch. I was even in beta for EQ1. To me the good old days were not always good. Sometimes they were just old days.

You can't please everyone all the time.

If I'm not mistaken EQ1 in its prime had 500K-ish subs. WoW had millions. You can't blame them for changing art styles to aim at a bigger audience. Compare WoW to EQ2. Which made more money? Who would you aim for as a company? I think it just makes business sense.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Margrave

I loved what I saw! I think if done right this could end up being my main mmorpg. I almost could see sub-ing to it.

They've taken some of the best features of other titles and pulled them all together.

I know some of the old school EQ'rs will not like this at all. I hate that for you guys, but I love what I saw. And yes I played since launch. I was even in beta for EQ1. To me the good old days were not always good. Sometimes they were just old days.

If I'm not mistaken EQ1 in its prime had 500K-ish subs. WoW had millions. You can't blame them for changing art styles to aim at a bigger audience. Compare WoW to EQ2. Which made more money? Who would you aim for as a company? I think it just makes business sense.

I don't think the art style is "wanting to look like WoW" so much as "wanting it to be able to run on most people's PCs".

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Ironically EQNext looks less like wow than EQ1 does

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Beoelf21
    I cannot believe some of this stuff im seeing... its like everything anyone has ever wanted shoved into 1 game. I know there is more info we need/want. but damn.. i have seen the future of mmo's just now.

Agreed everything I ever wanted in a virtual world coupled with the best type of visceral combat and open ended skill based progression system.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Waterlily

The concepts are awesome.

The graphics look like it was targeted at preschoolers.

Mixed feeling, I doubt this game will satisfy EQ players.

I agree with you 100% thankfully they not making it for the PS4 so that had me chuckling after all the mouthing off by the PS4 community making claims its on their toy too. muhahahahaimage

Asbo

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Bottom line---they have some great design elements I am excited to see, but the kiddie-graphics need to go. Give us realism-it makes for better immersion and more closely relates to your target market (adult gamers versus 6 year olds).
  • FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216

Is it even possible?

So many questions...

They will be unique in a subtle way. But just don't expect long pre-written unique story or cgi. It will take place on real but subtle tangible levels. A role players paradise when role playing characters.

My guess on stopping exploits or griefing would be they can't. But they can design it so there is no need to grief. It depends on how party and party claim dynamics are set-up.

Exploring skill sets to me didn't sound like they were going to have exhaustive quest lines to learn skills. More like explore and stumble upon stuff.

No levels, means you are only more powerful than a beginner thru more skills or gear. That exploration better be really good so it doesn't feel repetitive. It will help keep the world more alive since you never out level content.

I'm excited and am waiting to see implementation. I imagine there is going to be a huge influx of players used to all the cool stuff being at endgame like traditional mmos. They are going to start voicing complaints.

I hope that EQ next sticks to their gameplan, for better or worse. And not do a 180 reverting to a more traditional mmo when that happens.

Originally posted by Margrave

I truly think anyone who was expecting a EQ1 reboot was really kidding themselves.  I look at it like this: Most every game that has tried to copy something has failed because you'll never be able to pull those people away from the original for the most part.  Also why would the same studio try to take players away from their original games instead of trying to earn new players.

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

Only thing about everquest next that brings wow to mind is the kerran shoulder pads, they seem slightly oversized for the race, overall the graphics look alot more like bioshock infinite then they do wow.

In my opinion Everquest next has some amazing potential, and Id go so far as to say its the first game since "3d" graphics were introduced to the genre that is actually doing something innovative.

While I know from experience that SoE are experts at screwing up theyr games, I would be a fool to ignore the potential of EQnext, even if it were to totally fail, I belive it will have a very positive effect on the genre as a whole.

That said If EQnext pulls of even a fraction of what it promises, I think it could reach sub numbers similar to that of wow, adding minecraft like features is just about the best move SoE could possibly make, Its something that could possibly create a entirely new generation of mmorpg players. (lets not forget just how massive the minecraft community is)

• AvraAvra Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I wonder how much of this is vapourware at this point. How much have they actually made? How long until there is enough for an actual open beta?
    Originally posted by Avra
    I wonder how much of this is vapourware at this point. How much have they actually made? How long until there is enough for an actual open beta?

Vaporware is the realm of small indie studios.  Most triple-A studios will never release or highlight a new game if it had the potential to be vaporware.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

i'm so sick of this whole "you are the hero" deal, it's so overplayed and never works out well, you cant be the center of the universe in an mmo, there is 347382798432 players doing the exact same quests getting the exact same rewards and at the end of the day even with the rally system there is going to be that main story everyone will follow choices may be different but it's all going to lead to the same place....

these games arent being developed as group play games, they are all coming out as single player games in an online persistent world and it just aint cutting it. some of the best times and stories you get out of EQ1 was from farming mob camps in groups with friends talking crap with each other for hours on end and just having a ball it's all getting taken away.

i feel like a better step would be to do away with the majority of quests to begin with and no auction house either, it puts a lot more emphesis on the importance of crafting... as it is now, majority of crafting is wasted due to having quest upgrades that are better and a lot of group play is lost in this core game mechanic....

quests - great for single player games, but bad for group games and thats what i want an MMO to be an MMO, for the emphasis to be put on groups and players not a single player game emphasising that you're the biggest baddest hero in the world

flight paths and instant travel - again great for single player games, helps you get around a lot quicker but horrible for group / socially oriented games.. you wanna travel with your companions heading into unknown territory with unknown dangers lurking around every corner knowing your other team members have your back.

all these games are targeting themselves at massive single player experiences with group play optional and usually pointed to you at end game, we need to get rid of these apparent QoL features like group finders n such and bring back some of the old core MMO mechancis.

to be honest if they had of shown EQ1 with a new coat of paint and core mechanics elaborated on eg - world destruction, multiclassing etc... that would have been phenomenal but as it is it seems to be heading towards being a single player online game ANOTHER single player online game in a sea of  games that have already tried and failed at doing so.

Not to mention the slew of problems that can arise from how ambitious they're being...

AI - yeah sounds great, but even the most simplest of quests in MMOs these days bug out making them uncompletable without throwing roaming packs into the equation and the unlimited amount of variables that need to be taken into account when allowing your AI to be freeroaming and affecting the world in a way which sounds like it generates quests based off random mob movement.

Destruction - even here, as great of a feature this sounds like, you're 3/4 the way into killing a massive elemental with a group of friends, you been going at it for a good 10min let's say it's some ultra rare and then he blows a hole in the world swallowing your whole group and dumping you a level down, now producing line of sight issues and then leashing back to his spawn point.. resetting his HP and leaving your group thinking wtf...

player made content - the fact of the matter is, 90% of people arent talented enough to create player made content... if they were talented enough to be doing so with the small exception they would be working on the game to begin with or any other number of games being developed, minecraft is great and flexible and detailed but at the end of the day people still end up making blocks, instead of spending all this money allowing people to develop content... spend the money on talented people who are artistic enough to do the work and make it amazing.

there is a lot of great ideas and if they come together and work it would be great, but i still think they're taking too much away from the group aspect of the MMO and i think they need to take a step back and look at fundamentally what an MMO is meant to be about... it's not about a single player game with online / group elements it should be centralised around a group experience, creating stories and times with friends, crafting being useful because you dont just level it to max it out ignoring the low level gear you can craft on the way because quest rewards are better...

my mind isnt blown i feel kind of disappointed but i hope it turns out to be a good game regardless

• AvraAvra Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Daaken
    Originally posted by Avra

Vaporware is the realm of small indie studios.  Most triple-A studios will never release or highlight a new game if it had the potential to be vaporware.

Fair enough, but I cant help but feel we were expecting a semi-finished game, and they have so far created two characters and three rooms. We are going to be a looong way from beta