Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No release date? Not even a hint? We seriously that far away?

hMJemhMJem Marysville, WAMember Posts: 465

Are we supposed to play Everquest Next: Landmark for six months? I'm very confused.

 

They didn't even say 2014.. Not even a Spring 2014 hint.. Nothing.. For their big reveal?

 

It's a shame because I liked a lot of what they showed, but it left me :/ not even a sign of release date. We kept being told "The game is so much farther along than you know"

«1

Comments

  • expressoexpresso meMember Posts: 2,218 Uncommon
    looking at how little they showed and that they want to make to make money from landmark and give players enough time to create assets for the game we're a good 18 months to 2 years away.  Still time for Blizzard's Titan to show up to the party and blow out EQ's candles (again).
  • GMan33GMan33 Sterling Heights, MIMember Posts: 79 Uncommon
    Landmark is launching this year. The actual game though, no, there was no hint when it launches
  • bobfishbobfish SouthamptonMember Posts: 1,679 Uncommon
    Based on what they showed, what we saw of the devs playing it and how Landmark works into it... I wouldn't expect EQN until early 2015.
  • dandurindandurin Santa Clara, CAMember Posts: 497 Uncommon

    Well, he did say we'd "get our hands on it this year".

     

    It's just that most of us didn't realize that meant we'd be developing it.  :D

  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Miami, FLMember Posts: 915

    Landmark releases later this year. I'm guessing the first half of 2014 will be (in part) focusing on this while the second half focusing on a scheduled closed alpha/beta. My guess would be the game will be releasing late 2014/early 2015... 2013 is not an option and early 2014 seems highly unlikely.

    image

  • mos0811mos0811 Sacramento, CAMember Posts: 173
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Are we supposed to play Everquest Next: Landmark for six months? I'm very confused.   They didn't even say 2014.. Not even a Spring 2014 hint.. Nothing.. For their big reveal?   It's a shame because I liked a lot of what they showed, but it left me :/ not even a sign of release date. We kept being told "The game is so much farther along than you know"

    My guess is they want the players to create the content so they can work on other stuff.  Launch Landmark, hopefully getting players excited, and then get free work/ideas for EQN.

  • KesinKesin Fallston, MDMember Posts: 25 Uncommon
    Its pretty far off considering they are banking on the community to develop a lot of the content for them with landmark.  This can be seen as either a genius move or not.  I am not entirely a fan of it yet though.  This is something of a double edged sword for me.  It would be cool to see something you made in the world; however, it is also akin to free labor as well *shrug*.  
  • KyllienKyllien Renton, WAMember Posts: 315 Common
    My guess is that most of the core game is built.  All that is really left is to fill it up (Landmark) then test it and release it.  I suspect early 2014 for beta and release shortly there after.
  • TibbzTibbz Houston, TXMember Posts: 611 Uncommon
    I thought he mentioned "six months" for EQN after speaking of Landmarks winter release.  

    image
  • DudehogDudehog Newark, DEMember Posts: 112

    Launch sounds really far off by the way they were talking about EQN Landmark. My guess is 2015. 

     

     

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member Posts: 6,665 Epic
    The way they were talking of 6 month blocks of players judging and helping design the game. My guess its gona be a long time till we see this game released. Maybe a year or more.

    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • grifjgrifj Bellevue, WAMember Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Tibbz
    I thought he mentioned "six months" for EQN after speaking of Landmarks winter release.  

    No, he said their website would show their development plans for the next six months at a time.

    The game is a LONG ways off.

    And they're hoping players will build the world for them.  Maybe they should have players recreate the art design for them too.. and recreate the combat mechanics, which looked atrocious.

    Major letdown. 

  • OzivoisOzivois Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 598
    They could only demo two characters and one zone, so they are a loooong ways off from launching. So far off that they haven't realized their game is gonna fail yet. It will be interesting to see what happens after they hear all of this negative feedback on some of their decisions.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Member Posts: 374

    Landmark will be release in the winter , so one would guess the main game will release within a year?

    i hope SOE won't rush it, like they did to pretty much every god damn game released.

  • StilerStiler Athens, TNMember Posts: 599

    Did SOE not learn ANYTHING From EQ2 going up against WoW?

     

    Blizzard JUST announced they were going back to the "drawing board" for Titan and redesigning things.

     

    Now Blizzard has AMPLE time to take the idea's of EQnext and put them into Titan and go up against them with  some of the core features EQnext put forward (Destruction, AI, etc).

     

    You would have thought Soe would understand the need to protect their idea's and not allow anyone to take them and make a game that might make it to market before, or near the release of EQnext.

  • MothanosMothanos MordorMember Posts: 1,909 Uncommon

    Aye this game is still a year away from release maybe even longer.

  • krondinkrondin tallapoosa, GAMember Posts: 106 Uncommon

    I was Expecting to see a beta launch before oct this yr and game launch no later then end of Nov this yr. They are very much missing out a gigantic marketing opportunity that exists right now in the gaming industry. Millions of drooling players all waiting for the next huge game to be released so they can sink thier teeth into it. Waiting this long to release will kill at least half of this games potential . Other games filling this gaming void will do very well and have LOYAL players who wont just jump at every game release.  

    Cant say i am surprised at todays information thou, it is SOE we are talking about!  

  • XssivXssiv Haskell, NJMember Posts: 359 Uncommon
    Originally posted by krondin
    I was Expecting to see a beta launch before oct this yr and game launch no later then end of Nov this yr. They are very much missing out a gigantic marketing opportunity that exists right now in the gaming industry. Millions of drooling players all waiting for the next huge game to be released so they can sink thier teeth into it. Waiting this long to release will kill at least half of this games potential . Other games filling this gaming void will do very well and have LOYAL players who wont just jump at every game release.   Cant say i am surprised at todays information thou, it is SOE we are talking about!  

    You must be new to the MMO genre, welcome.

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöMember Posts: 19,263 Rare
    Originally posted by mos0811" My guess is they want the players to create the content so they can work on other stuff.  Launch Landmark, hopefully getting players excited, and then get free work/ideas for EQN.

    It might also be a sneaky way to find people good on creating content so you could hire in a few of the most competent ones...

    It seems like the game is around 1 1/2 years from release though. Much more than so and I think they still would keep the lid on to not hurt EQ2s playerbase (many people will wait for the next instead of playing the old game when they hear stuff like this about the sequel) and I doubt they actually could release more than Landmark this year at least. 1 1/2 year is just the right time to build the hype without everyone forgetting about the game again.

    So my guess is winter 2014-2015. But of course it is just a wild guess. :)

  • DaakenDaaken New York, NYMember Posts: 158
    March 2015.  Book it.

    Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

    Me: So you want something like EQN

    Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

    Me: Double Facepalm.

  • PlumpPlump Acushnet, MAMember Posts: 10
    I wonder if EQ Landmark includes character creation/naming ?
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 In cyberspaaaaaaceMember Posts: 2,747 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Did SOE not learn ANYTHING From EQ2 going up against WoW?   Blizzard JUST announced they were going back to the "drawing board" for Titan and redesigning things.   Now Blizzard has AMPLE time to take the idea's of EQnext and put them into Titan and go up against them with  some of the core features EQnext put forward (Destruction, AI, etc).   You would have thought Soe would understand the need to protect their idea's and not allow anyone to take them and make a game that might make it to market before, or near the release of EQnext.

    If Blizzard is redesigning that means they do not have time. They would spend 3 years minimum in their think tank to conjure up anything better. With EQN Landmark they will have an even better head start on content.

  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Miami, FLMember Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Plump
    I wonder if EQ Landmark includes character creation/naming ?

     

    Maybe the initial build won’t have it, but eventually (with future builds) I could see them integrating a character creator module.

    image

  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob lexington, KYMember Posts: 865 Uncommon
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Originally posted by Plump
    I wonder if EQ Landmark includes character creation/naming ?

     

    Maybe the initial build won’t have it, but eventually (with future builds) I could see them integrating a character creator module.

     

    I'm guessing it will actually.   Since it sounds like EQ Landmark isn't just you in first person doing nothing but placing blocks to build stuff and that's it.  There's some resource gathering and crafting involved in there too.   Maybe not a sprawling full fledged MMO but it sounds like they want it to be at least something of a game standalone.

     

     

  • ResiaResia Glen Rock, NJMember Posts: 119

    I think taking advantage of what other games and genres have learned, that player made content can be great, is a good step. Player mods and created content in other games has for many years far surpassed released content and kept games going. However, for an MMO it will be interesting to see how they filter it.

    I also agree, based on what they appear to want landmark to do, what we see, and the items they claim are not final, doubt  this game will launch before 2015.

    "Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.