Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

If this game has cartoony graphics, then I'm out. [Graphics Discussion thread]

123578

Comments

  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Posts: 374Member
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by thyraven
    FFXIV is a good example that graphic DOES NOT make a game good, its looks semi realistic but in a shitty way and the game systems is just crap. Id rather have a cartoonish graphic with good animations than bad semi realistic animations.

    And now we have FFXIV A realm reborn.

     

    Why do we have to choose between having good gameplay with unimaginative graphic and crappy game with aesthetically pleasing graphic?

     

    Oh really?  FF XiV has complete destruction in its world?  WoW I never knew!

    ARR runs on anything now pretty much, I have an old computer sitting around that is almost 6 or more years old and it runs it on standard graphics with 30FPS.

    It's graphic style and art direction are far more appealing TO ME, than EQ's.

    Which I think is what Jason1989 was trying to say.

    I like a lot of the concepts EQnext is presenting, some of them sound iffy and I hope they are done right, but honestly the art style and direction are unappealing to me, and from the looks of it, I'm not alone.

    So couldn't they have gone another way with it and maybe still had it run on anything and have all the options this game presents?

    I think that is probably possible.

     

    the point being is you can't compare the two engines because they aren't the same engine, they aren't even close because the options available in one isn't even close to the options available in the other.

    But we were talking about the art style and the aesthetic of the game, not the engine.

    anyway i understand the reason why they chose the cartoonish style but i think it is short sighted and being unimaginative at all.

    not if you are talking about how well it runs on machines.  You need to either focus your argument/debate on one subject or learn what each subject means.  Engine will be what determines system resources, not the art style.

    My mind is blown by your wisdom.

     

    anyway point is when you show a screenshot of FFXI or XIV you know it is a Final Fantasy game.

    When you show a Age of Conan game it spills Conan the barbarian.

    You show a WoW screenshot Warcraft players know it is from the same universe.

    Then we have EQN which the characters model and the environment share very little similarites to the aesthetic of previous EQ titles.

  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member

    Love the art style. 

     

    Feel bad for those so caught up in their own strict styles that they can't enjoy different things.

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

    As a graphic developer for like 20+ years, I can only say one thing... their voxel based engine is one of the most impressive things I've seen for a MMO engine, or even just a game engine. Voxels looking as smooth as polygons.

    If the price to pay is to have a bit more cartoonish graphics (which I actually like, and the emotes are pretty cool too, at least visible on the screen), I've no problems with that.

    I dunno if they had to make it look the way it did for the features they are providing, but I'm thinking they probably could have taking a different art direction and it would have looked better, maybe still a little plastic, but in my opinion the amount of "plastic" that SWTOR was called, is nothing compared to how plastic this looks. I dunno, I hope it gets polished and they tone down some of the color scheme.

  • skeaserskeaser Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 3,847Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by thyraven
    FFXIV is a good example that graphic DOES NOT make a game good, its looks semi realistic but in a shitty way and the game systems is just crap. Id rather have a cartoonish graphic with good animations than bad semi realistic animations.

    And now we have FFXIV A realm reborn.

     

    Why do we have to choose between having good gameplay with unimaginative graphic and crappy game with aesthetically pleasing graphic?

     

    Oh really?  FF XiV has complete destruction in its world?  WoW I never knew!

    ARR runs on anything now pretty much, I have an old computer sitting around that is almost 6 or more years old and it runs it on standard graphics with 30FPS.

    It's graphic style and art direction are far more appealing TO ME, than EQ's.

    Which I think is what Jason1989 was trying to say.

    I like a lot of the concepts EQnext is presenting, some of them sound iffy and I hope they are done right, but honestly the art style and direction are unappealing to me, and from the looks of it, I'm not alone.

    So couldn't they have gone another way with it and maybe still had it run on anything and have all the options this game presents?

    I think that is probably possible.

     

    the point being is you can't compare the two engines because they aren't the same engine, they aren't even close because the options available in one isn't even close to the options available in the other.

    But we were talking about the art style and the aesthetic of the game, not the engine.

    anyway i understand the reason why they chose the cartoonish style but i think it is short sighted and being unimaginative at all.

    not if you are talking about how well it runs on machines.  You need to either focus your argument/debate on one subject or learn what each subject means.  Engine will be what determines system resources, not the art style.

    My mind is blown by your wisdom.

     

    anyway point is when you show a screenshot of FFXI or XIV you know it is a Final Fantasy game.

    When you show a Age of Conan game it spills Conan the barbarian.

    You show a WoW screenshot Warcraft players know it is from the same universe.

    Then we have EQN which the characters model and the environment share very little similarites to the aesthetic of previous EQ titles.

    Which is why they went with Next instead of 3. They want this to be a brand new game in a familiar setting...

  • langstondoglangstondog Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 20Member
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

    I think the graphics are fine.  

     

    What I absolutely hate is the aoe crap and red circles.  And all the over the top flash.  Combat looks stupid.  

    Yea because this totally looks like the finshed combat. :P

  • BearKnightBearKnight Augusta, GAPosts: 461Member
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

    Love the art style. 

     

    Feel bad for those so caught up in their own strict styles that they can't enjoy different things.

    The artstyle MUST fit the game, as it sets the overall tone of the world. This Art Style does NOT fit the game, so no it isn't us being too "Strict". 

  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Posts: 374Member
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by thyraven
    FFXIV is a good example that graphic DOES NOT make a game good, its looks semi realistic but in a shitty way and the game systems is just crap. Id rather have a cartoonish graphic with good animations than bad semi realistic animations.

    And now we have FFXIV A realm reborn.

     

    Why do we have to choose between having good gameplay with unimaginative graphic and crappy game with aesthetically pleasing graphic?

     

    Oh really?  FF XiV has complete destruction in its world?  WoW I never knew!

    ARR runs on anything now pretty much, I have an old computer sitting around that is almost 6 or more years old and it runs it on standard graphics with 30FPS.

    It's graphic style and art direction are far more appealing TO ME, than EQ's.

    Which I think is what Jason1989 was trying to say.

    I like a lot of the concepts EQnext is presenting, some of them sound iffy and I hope they are done right, but honestly the art style and direction are unappealing to me, and from the looks of it, I'm not alone.

    So couldn't they have gone another way with it and maybe still had it run on anything and have all the options this game presents?

    I think that is probably possible.

     

    the point being is you can't compare the two engines because they aren't the same engine, they aren't even close because the options available in one isn't even close to the options available in the other.

    But we were talking about the art style and the aesthetic of the game, not the engine.

    anyway i understand the reason why they chose the cartoonish style but i think it is short sighted and being unimaginative at all.

    not if you are talking about how well it runs on machines.  You need to either focus your argument/debate on one subject or learn what each subject means.  Engine will be what determines system resources, not the art style.

    My mind is blown by your wisdom.

     

    anyway point is when you show a screenshot of FFXI or XIV you know it is a Final Fantasy game.

    When you show a Age of Conan game it spills Conan the barbarian.

    You show a WoW screenshot Warcraft players know it is from the same universe.

    Then we have EQN which the characters model and the environment share very little similarites to the aesthetic of previous EQ titles.

    Which is why they went with Next instead of 3. They want this to be a brand new game in a familiar setting...

    Hmm, you made a very good point, i guess SOE is trying to "Reboot" the EQ franchise, a fresh new start.

  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAPosts: 924Member Uncommon
    While my initial reaction to the art style is slightly negative, I didn't like the look of Powerpuff Girls in the beginning.  Now it's a favorite cartoon.   Maybe the EQ:N art will grow on me.

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • darker70darker70 stokePosts: 813Member

    I just don't get posts like this if the game play is good,deep,involving does it matter if the graphics are cartoony I would rather have a great game play experience instead of sparkly graphics any day.

    And for those young'uns out there one of the best games I ever played was Chaos with it's user defined graphics on the speccy,you know when devs squashed code into 48k just look at the stuff from that era game play wise still hard to beat to this day.

    image

  • mcast1234mcast1234 hhscvv, ALPosts: 26Member
    I puked in my mouth a little when I saw the cartoon characters, I swallowed it when I saw the building engine.
  • GrailerGrailer HamiltonPosts: 876Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mendel
    While my initial reaction to the art style is slightly negative, I didn't like the look of Powerpuff Girls in the beginning.  Now it's a favorite cartoon.   Maybe the EQ:N art will grow on me.

    My first reaction was thinking about all the QQ that will appear when they see its a cartoon .

     

    It doesn't worry me much at all because its being done quite well . I mean don't get me wrong I would've liked non cartoon graphics but tbh I think that would cause the game to run at 5fps .

     

    The facial expressions on the characters is priceless .

     

     

  • BunnykingBunnyking NowherePosts: 114Member Uncommon
    I hated the look of EQ and EQ 2. I love the look of EQN. Nuff said. :)
  • StarIStarI waka wakaPosts: 924Member Uncommon
    won't be ready in 2014 anyway
  • newbinatornewbinator LA, CAPosts: 780Member
    I think the graphics are beautiful. If I have any complaints about EQ:Next, it certainly won't be about how it looks.
  • MardyMardy hollywood, CAPosts: 2,213Member
    It's using the same Forgelight engine that Planetside 2 uses.  Which means you'll get amazingly detailed environmental graphics, the particle effects will be amazing, and the sky & lighting will be amazing.  But the downside is the armor details will be very low.  Like in Planetside 2, you can barely make out decals and symbols on people's armors.

    EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

  • mmorpg99mmorpg99 Tallahassee, FLPosts: 15Member

    This is what happens when you make a game and money grab for the lowest common denominator. 

     

    Wish we could bring back the original Verant team to slap some sense into these guys about the art style.  I'm fine with the game, just the song says, "she's got the look."  Except not... 

  • cheyanecheyane Rome Posts: 3,002Member Uncommon
    Everyone used to say gameplay over graphics but I guess that is not true, I happen to like the graphics so np here.

    image

    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

  • StilerStiler Athens, TNPosts: 599Member

    Where the hell are some of you getting "PVE" only?

     

    He mentioned PVP in the bloody presentation! When talking about destruction and showing it he talked about how you can imagine "PVP" with that.

  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member

    Tbh, graphics seemed the weak link to me in the presentation.

    BUUUT: the game is yet in early development. It is very difficult to judge how it feels once you play the game. Screenshots and videos only give so much. Finally, if the gameplay is good, I say ok. Not thrilled, but ok.

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • newbinatornewbinator LA, CAPosts: 780Member
    Originally posted by mmorpg99

    This is what happens when you make a game and money grab for the lowest common denominator. 

     

    Wish we could bring back the original Verant team to slap some sense into these guys about the art style.  I'm fine with the game, just the song says, "she's got the look."  Except not... 

     

    What is "least common denominator" about the graphics? Just because you personally don't like them?

  • GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member

    I seriously don't know how you can make the landscape so beautiful and have the character models so god-awful. 

    You can't say it's the engine because I've played PS2 and the character models, while not completely realistic, are leaps and bounds ahead of this mess.

    And then there's the art style in and of itself.

    Cartoonish models with the overly embellished WH40k-style armor and weapons seem to be a ploy for children and/or a decidedly non-western audience. Could not have been more disappointed. 

     

    I have no idea why the hell they used that cat race in the presentation, it looked terrible. I mean worse than the sketch art terrible. 

    The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

    -The MMO Forum Community

  • PlumpPlump Acushnet, MAPosts: 10Member
    the EQnext artstyle feels like a cross between Jade empire and Pixar. I Don't judge a game by the art style only. I don't mind the graphics as long as the game engages me on several levels. It's a welcome change to actually see amazing particle effects, lighting, destructibility and advanced mob AI in the MMO space. Those features alone would make EQnext a must play for me in the grand scheme of all things MMO in today's trash market.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Posts: 374Member
    Originally posted by Vivasvan

    i wanted something like the game of thrones, something olden day and medieval... instead of the flipping cartoon caper we are getting.

    really.. ffs.  stupid disney smiley graphics... what will the dragon look like? the one out of that cartoon program dr.mcstuffin dragon....

     

    have you seen the nazgul in lord of rings? and then compare to scary things in this game what will they look like.

     

    really really dissapointed on the graphcs which is 80% of the immersion.  why would you do this.. I thought from the leaked screeny the graphics and armour were going to look uber. Instead they will look like disney and the cat people look like something from disneys beauty and the beast. 

    sigh... its a shame. 

    A witcher like MMO would be amazing.

  • KiyorisKiyoris BejingPosts: 965Member Uncommon

    ]

  • SybnalSybnal nunavit, NWPosts: 261Member

    I don't see why all these games have to degenerate into a graphics vs. gameplay arguement.   Why can't we get both? Seriously, all those saying they'd rather have good gameplay........well DUH!  No f@#$ing s#$t.   No one wants to play a crappy game. They want to play a fun game that looks good too!

     

    The game looks alright might be fun, but honestly, I was hoping for something graphically pleasing as well.  It won't stop me from playing it, but i'd like to see this whole Fisher Price Warcraft look die along with exclamation points for quest givers and faction grinds. 

Sign In or Register to comment.