Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll]Are you happy with Everquest Next?

Comments

• Sleepy-SleepeeSleepy-Sleepee Member Posts: 5

I like everything they talked about, sounds great! Did not like what my eyes saw as far as gameplay/combat went.

Have lots of questions that need to be answered. Going to play it for certain., but hype score take a small hit.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    This poll is pretty poorly done. I don't want to choose either option.
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I'm definitely on the fence about this one.

I want to think that this game will be the "Next Big Thing™" but it's looking a bit like another meh game in a sea of overbudget meh games.

I'm starting to wonder how long all of the destructable  features will actually stay destroyed? 30 minutes? An hour?

In GW2 it really breaks immersion when you can see the same scripted events happening over and over again every 15 minutes, and in EQN it wouldn't be surprised to see the world rebuilding itself the minute a boss dies.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I was disappointed about the character art direction (the world art looked fine). However it's not a huge thing that would make me not play it.

The AI, the exploration/class system, the world changing, I liked all of that.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I don't know what to think.  I don't like the cartoony look, but I can live with it.  I think there are some really good ideas here, but not enough information yet for me to decide. 

How does the multiclassing work?  It sounded kinda like Rift.

How will they work around the idea of having meta game builds which actually limit the ammount of classes instead of adding to them? 

Are there no levels and only skills? 

What is the combat like?  I saw people running around destroying everything in their way,  just don't stand in the red circle.  Is this really it? 

Trinity based combat? 

Is CC going to be a big part of the game? 

Are your abilities really tied to your weapon just like in GW2? 

Is this going to be another mindless solo to cap or group incentivised? 

Too many questions... but I'm nervous.   I really thought that this game was going to go back to some of the core elements from EQ1.  I guess wait and see, but I'm less excited than I was yesterday.

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209

Vote: NO. I really dont like the class system.

I fear that will be EverQuest Next...but Next to ruin.

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• EadricEadric Member Posts: 28

I'm excited about the systems in place (especially the 'emergent ai'). As to the difficulty of combat, for all we know you saw higher-level characters pounding low-level monsters. The videos were meant to demonstrate the capabilities of the graphics engine more than illustrate what a typical, level-appropriate encounter might look like.

I think we should give them time to talk about things like death penalties, travel, combat difficulty, and raids.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Honestly they showed jack.. yeah the graphics and that you can minecraft in it... really they need to show way more then this to get me.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    So everyone expected them to reveal the entire game and everything that you can do?  Come on they have the rest of today and two more days of panels that they will be discussing a lot of things in fine detail.  They also don't want to reveal everything today when there is still some time before the game hits the street.  Finally, the reveal was arranged to show exactly what they wanted to reveal.  I am sure that there will be more skills available to a character then the few they used to demonstrate the game engine. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'm still on the fence, need more info before I decide whether its a game I might enjoy.

On the plus side, nothing I've heard so far disqualifies it in any way.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by andrewr47

After seeing this, I'm actually gonna go sign up for Project 1999. 

Notwithstanding the cartoon models (which decreases the feel of EQ), the combat appears too similar with GW2 (red circles on ground) with no evidence of any challenge (cleaving through 20 mobs?!). In addition, they mentioned nothing about gameplay such as death penalty (something a lot of people are waiting on). I think they must have not talked about it on purpose. Much of the gameplay they did talk about was Minecraft features. I felt like I was watching a minecraft presentation rather than an EQ presentation. 

The red circles have to go  they ruin the entire feel of the game .

need to use some sort of animation instead of circles to pre warn of area of effect . 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

For people expecting and hoping for "old school Everquest", I know they will be disappointed.  This game looks and sounds nothing like EQ.  They're using the Everquest franchise IP because it's a known name.  But simply by creating zones with EQ names don't make it EQ.  Even the orcs look absolutely nothing like the orcs people remembered, both old and new orcs in EQ1.

Myself I'm on the fence as I wasn't expecting SOE to recreate old school EQ, and was always chuckling at others thinking SOE was going to bring that back.  SOE was always going to create a game made for mass market.  But there are elements I didn't like, namely the combat, looked like mindless button mashing.  And overly exaggerated spell effects like they do in EQ2, you can barely see what you're doing so again...mindless button smashing.  Not something I look forward to unless they aren't done with combat.

Those of us that have played Guild Wars 2 and Warhammer Online, I suppose a lot of what talked about isn't mind blowing because a lot of the game design are similar to public quests of WAR, and world & class design of Guild Wars 2.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    On the whole I liked what I saw.  Game seemed a bit too cartoony for my tastes, but I expect after playing a bit it will not be a game breaker. So many questions were raised even though we heard about these core gameplay mechanics. 
  • AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

Voted positive, but the real guts of the game haven't been discussed yet.  Overviews are overviews and don't usually go into details.

As to the graphics.  I'm a Dwarf Fortress player, so I've taught myself not to care too much about graphics.  If I was a graphics snob I wouldn't be playing some of the older DOS games as well.  What matters is the how the game plays, not how it looks.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Just give us an updated EQ already !! ~~

-no cartoony graphics

-forced grouping

-no gimmicks

-no minecraft

Call it.......EQ3.........hah

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

I'm definitely on the fence about this one.

I want to think that this game will be the "Next Big Thing™" but it's looking a bit like another meh game in a sea of overbudget meh games.

I'm starting to wonder how long all of the destructable  features will actually stay destroyed? 30 minutes? An hour?

In GW2 it really breaks immersion when you can see the same scripted events happening over and over again every 15 minutes, and in EQN it wouldn't be surprised to see the world rebuilding itself the minute a boss dies.

I think it will depend on how big the actual world is.  Ithe world is huge and might take days, weeks, months to rebuild.  As for the scripted events.  My take is that they will be almost a one time occurence.  If it takes 2 to 3 months to complete these rallying points then you could have a few running at and have plenty of time for devs to continously create new ones.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I could give a damn about the lower polygon character models or artstyle,it looks serviceable enough to me,I'll sacrifice graphic fidelity for emergent AI,destructibility and a seamless world any day.

Now if they can actually deliver on these things I'm still wait and see.

• PlumpPlump Member Posts: 10
    Overall I was pleased with the presentation of EQnext. I will play it. As far as their 4 buzzword ideals--they aren't game-changing or revolutionary in any sense of the word. That being said, I still think EQnext will provide a fun, immersive social oriented timesink opportunity. I havea  foul taste in my mouth from D3's RMAH and I generally am 100% against any form of "income potential" from my GAMES. games aren't meant to be profit vehicles--rather an escape from reality to live out your fantasies that CAN'T be done irl  (for the most part). I am looking forward to seeing more actual ingame/incombat footage to get a better sense of substance for EQnext.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Now that I've had time to process and reflect, here is my objective opinion:

- The graphics look absolutely like shit.  Character models are horrid, lion king, etc.  Looks like WoW and Wildstar, nothing like Everquest.

- The "orcs set up by the side of a road" bit is your regular dynamic content, stuff i enjoy and am happy is in the game.

- The "building & destruction of Halas over 3 months" - is fucking brilliant.  This is exactly the way i've always wanted MMOs to approach story - people work together, stuff happens, there is permanent change in the world and the event doesn't "get reset", stuff just stays as stuff finished.  This is the best thing they've shown.

- Combat - hard to say at this point.  Looked very chaotic and repetitive.  Need more info.

- Destruction - this was really fun in Auto Assault, so i'm surprised no game has really focused on it since.  It's mostly fluff though, i'm sure that destroyed bridge just respawns in 5 minutes.  Looks cool though. 

- Classes - sounds like Rift's soul system.  I liked Rift's soul system, but i need more details on depth.

- Crafting - no info.

- UI - no info. (no UIs were on any of the developers' screen, i assume hidden on purpose).

- Everquest Landscape or whatever it's called - i'm indifferent.  if you're getting talented players to build your environments while the team focused on building more complex mob scripts, it's cool by me.  if you're doing it so you can have less staff or re-assign them to make station cash costumes, not so much.

- Instancing / Servers - he said "each server", which confirms that they plan on running multiple servers rather than single-server technology,  i hate having multiple servers, but it's not really a deciding factor for me.

Overall:  it'll be very hard for me to try this given how horrible the graphics look.  there is a reason why i've played over 30 MMOs but never WoW.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

While there were things I was skeptical about, I have to admit this is prob the only mmo since Wow I have truely belived had a chance of becoming the next big thing.

It seems SoE has realised that if they truely want a fair shot at becoming the next big thing, they have to try to draw in gamers from diffrent genres, and offering minecraft like features is just about the best way to do this, no other community can really compete in size.

Also the features mentioned are all things that will have a very postivie effect on the games lifespan if done correctly.

Also one of the things I noticed that made me really happy were the boots with the floating effect, this is something I love, items with awesome and cool abilities, much like fungi tunic or staff of tranquility in eq1.

Also the idea of having to track down and learn the 32 remaining classes sounds absolutely awesome, finally a game that encourages exploration, its been to long since we saw one of these.

Personally I was most disapointed that we didnt get to hear anything about how factions will work,But I am still hopefully that we will have player run factions since factions wasnt mentioned.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The gameplay looks a lot like Guildwars 2, and that means poor MMO concepts like taunting or crowd control or tanking and such.  Not impressed at the gameplay at all.  I thought it would be more like EQ with group structures and class abilities playing a main part in grouping, but it appears to be a GW2 clone where it is just fast action and no real substance.

The graphics are ok.  A bit too cartoony, which reminds me of WOW or GW2 (again).  Everyone cringed when they first saw the Kerran.....that was pretty bad.  I can get past this is there is real depth to the gameplay, which remains to be seen.

Nothing about crafting.  It is supposed to be a pretty big part of the game, whether that means SWG type crafting or WOW easy mode crafting, who knows.

I liked the part about voxel building and being able to go to other peoples creations.

But if the actual combat gameplay is shallow like GW2 then it really does not matter.  And it really looks like they are going for a GW2 approach, which is really sad.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

I have my doubts that they can cram all those neat features into a game with lasting appeal. There are good reasons game worlds in RPGs are usually not very dynamic...A lot of what they announced so far sounds like EQN is going to be another one of those cheap feeling lobby games with trivial content modules hardly any player will remember 10 minutes after completing them.

This couldn't be any further from EQ and EQ2, the game world and its lore were absolutely vital parts of both games.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I'm very happy with what I'v eseen so far, but there's a lot of holes in the information that still need to be filled.

Probably have to wait for those panels to learn the nitty gritty.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I liked it, personally. Something different, a bit different than I expected. Loved the SOEEmote, like that they are releasing the tools soon, combat looked fun to me, though I can understand why some would not like it (some people just do not like action combat). Graphically, even though I generally don't like the cartoony look, I thought it looked good in action here. Didn't really bother me.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130