Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next: Mind=Blown!

Comments

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

SOE usually has good game ideas, but their business models and practices are always their downfall.

This all looks good on paper, but I guarantee that the Free2Play model will involve nickel and dime and pay2win tactics just like PS2.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Didnt expect much and didnt get much.

Destructable worlds might be something but i allready saw those on World of Tanks.

Still waiting their Sandbox features and so called hardcore.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Well, they sure did tease it nicely.

Some good ideas.  I like how they're evolving player involvement in content (leaps beyond something like foundry in NW).  I like the idea of a constantly changing and less than static world.

But, there's a reason why most games are static.  Making it dynamic and making it work are a major undertaking.  They really showed very little and talked very lots.  Seeing all of these amazing ideas actually working correctly would be a whole different beast.

I have overall mixed feelings.  Lots of good ideas.  Lots of revolutionary idea.

But.

Not really a throw back to old school, per se.

Designing for console is just weak sauce.  I'm so sick of PC games suffering due to consoles, tablets, phones.  They can say - oh, we'll just give you EIGHT TOTAL SKILLS and they'll be meaningful but that is a pittance, a TINY amount of skills, and whatever spin they want to spew, the real reason for simplification is because console controllers can't handle the normal skill set you'd have in a real MMORPG.  You can't pause the game and popup a lame skill wheel like you do in single player games ruined by console infulences so the number of skills has to be tiny for console controllers.

The other big negative for me is F2P.  F2P pretty much guarantess P2P, and often involves outright cheating (buying game currency for cash).  F2P is just all around lame.  Lower quality players, little to no player investment, weaker communities, higher turnover.

There's a really good bit on F2P vs P2P in one of the producer letters for FFXIV that makes a lot of sense.  It basically says P2P builds communities and is ideal for games suited for the long haul (ie, players playing for years).  F2P is built for player churn.

Maybe EQN will be so amazing it will hold people despite F2P being about high turnover and low retention.  Maybe their F2P will be so radically different that it won't taint the game.  Unlikely though.

The destructible environments look cool, I suppose, but the graphics look arcadey and consoley, they don't look like good PC game graphics.

I'm a PC gamer and MMORPG lover.  I want a PC game, not a console port.

I also want a massively multiplayer game.  To me that is defined by players playing together cooperatively.  A bunch of soloists sharing a world is not an MMORPG to me (ala GW2).  It might be an interesting game and all the confused people who want to solo all the time may love it, but for me, the best MMO moments, and the best MMO games, have always featured group-heavy gameplay.

EverQuest was about grouping.  You really oould level solo viably in original EQ.  It was the same in DAoC and FFXI.  WoW changed the formula but still presented a log of group content and endgame is all about grouping.  All of those games you could play for years.  You met and got to know people.  They had strong community.  People gave a crap about the games and the genre.

The more modern MMORPGs simply do not have the same vibe, mostly because they are glorified single player games.

It's hard to say WHAT EverQuest Next is gonna be like but my first impression is that it looks more like GW2.  The non inveseted, solo style MMO with loose content you can move in and out of SOLO.

F2P console game for solo players != old school and != MMORPG.  To me at least.

Still looks interesting and they have barely shown us the tip of the iceberg, so I guess we'll see.  I'll try to be optimistic.

At this point it looks like FFXIV is going to be the old school vibed MMORPG and EQNext is going to be a new beast that's more of a glorified online console game.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I watched 10 mins of the end of the ESO beta stream , thought it looked pretty decent then , I watched and listened to the EQNext reveal. Well I guess I will be back to a fantasy MMORPG after all. I love the fact that they will create the monsters and just throw them out into the world and they will do different things depending on what is happening around them . Also the destructiveness of everything , It's about time Criterion games is concept from their amazing FPS Black has finally got into an MMO , a bit slow there genre. With all it's multi layers under your feet excellent. It's going to be tough to balance PVP with over 40 classes lol , but nah just let everyone have a free for all I say.

Overall , I'm sold on it , the concept that is , I wonder when it will finally come out though. O and I love the way that basically they are going to get help from thousands of fans to create the world of Norath , saves on time to make the game and saves on wages for devs. Mind you we can make money along the way with EQNext landmark so it's all good , bye bye minecraft and WOW.

One last thing it's no wonder Blizzard took Titan back to the drawing board , they must have had a look at these concepts somehow and thought oops.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by zoinx
    Cartoon graphics, a nice red square to tell you where not to stand so you dont get hit, rushing into a crowd of mobs and not having to think about it and from what i gather button bashing skills. Think ive played this somewhere before :S

Are you talking about the “telegraphs”? To me that says gw2 style dodge will be important in EQn. In GW2 Telegrphing can get pretty intense, sometimes you just run out of places to go and enough energy to dodge. Players either complain that they are in the game and they still die, or frustrated they can’t see where they need to go to avoid big spell casts from boss mobs, or annoyed they can see these all together. It used to be the enemy cast bar that was standard tool UI mechanics, now it’s also telegraphing apparently. I think it would make everyone happy if you could turn off telegraphing, though I imagine in raids some people would require you turn them on as to avoid unnecessary death.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

For those of you who lack critical listening and reasoning skills:

1. They didn't show us the whole game.  They showed us some of their top features and only a couple classes.  They hinted at very fun/deeper crafting, and didn't even touch on many other aspects of the game yet.  Some of these things will be talked about in the panels at the show so we will be hearing about them in the coming days.
    2. The game is clearly still in alpha, and I'd venture to guess it's at least going to be Christmas 2014 before the game releases, if not later.
    3. EverQuest Landmark is a completely separate game aimed squarely at Minecraft and everything like it, and it comes out THIS WINTER.  It won't shock me if it turns out to be as big or bigger than the MMO as far as sales go.  Hell, many people just may play that instead of EQN!
    4. I've heard people complain about the theme song sample from last night.  Jeremy Soule is a genius, and they said at least three times that it was an *early rough cut*.  It still sounded cool to me.
    5. This is a mass market game.  If you were expecting realistic graphics, and not a design that allows for good scalability (just like WildStar is doing), then you aren't very bright.
    6. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

I'm still most stoked for all things Star Citizen at this point, but I have to say that I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on both games, and if I could pre-order them right now based on what I learned today, I would.

Your mileage and opinion may vary.  I think SOE may have a hit on their hands here... maybe even two hits!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Waterlily

The concepts are awesome.

The graphics look like it was targeted at preschoolers.

Mixed feeling, I doubt this game will satisfy EQ players.

This is one of the best things I've seen; at least EQ1 and EQ2 players won't play it.  So the PvP players won't play because it doesn't have PvP and the EQ1 and EQ2 players won't play because of everything EQN is; that's great, lol.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Didnt expect much and didnt get much.

Destructable worlds might be something but i allready saw those on World of Tanks.

Still waiting their Sandbox features and so called hardcore.

Me too, still waiting.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Absolutely incredible. 

I was fascinated by so much I'm speechless. Aside from the excellent Landmark idea I was probably most impressed by the dynamic battles, questing, and AI.

I need a drink now image

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

A little snip from another post of mine, which fits here.

My reaction seeing many of the console MMO's at e3 was, why aren't actual MMO devs doing this stuff? I'm glad to see that someone is.

Character interaction with the environment, real destruction in the environment, a purpose for exploration ( seemingly lots of purposes),etc...

This is where this genre has always lacked, and I'm glad to see it's getting attention. I also love the idea of truly migrating NPC's/Mobs...

The look isn't my cup of tea, but the game sounds like it's created by people with an imagination, as well as a passion for this genre to be great again...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Beoelf21

I cannot believe some of this stuff im seeing... its like everything anyone has ever wanted shoved into 1 game. I know there is more info we need/want. but damn.. i have seen the future of mmo's just now.

Agree

Farstryder,

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by tommygunzII I was probably most impressed by the dynamic battles, questing,

I need a drink now image

Wait what?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

The concepts are mind blowing. They are the kind that this genre needs to move out of this rut. The game itself? I don't know. I didn't see much RPGness, not so much cooperative gameplay in the combat, not even a hint of a vast open world but rather a vast cave network, and so on...What was shown was more like a tech engine preview. Hardly anything related to what is in the game itself. It still gets me excited for the idea of building the game together along side the developers using their tools.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

So much emergent gameplay potential my head exploded.
    I think players who want to get lost within a world that rewards creativity and exploration are going to become hopeless addicts. Like meeeeee. lol

Yeah, I really loved what I saw. The multi-tiered world and destructible environments playing into how you explore that completely took me surprise. I never saw that coming.

Also I am so glad there are no static professions, and that you develop what you do and how you play by what you find in the world that expands your characters abilities.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Mind blown ? Nope.

I've been fooled far too many times...far to many to believe much of anything a game company says.I want to see credible multiple non company game reviews.I want to play the beta version.

What are the intimate details of crafting ? I don't know.

Is there world class faction vs faction conflict ? I don't know

Am I impressed with the games graphics...no I'm actually disappointed at how WOW like they are(and I loathe WOW graphics)

Do we know the subscription model ? Nope

With so many unknowns..I'm not ready to ignore the game...just wait and see what Everquest Next actually turns out to be.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I do not know what I was expecting but this is so smart on their part .I am very much sold.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I don't think people understand the full weight of some of the features they talked about.  

The dynamic NPC system along with the longer story arc permanent world changes sound incredible, and they will play out differently on each server because they are dynamically driven.

The procedural-generated multi-tiered, destructable land is simply astonishing.  Not only will you be able to (or even if you don't want to) go into multiple "layers" of the land to adventure and find resources, but these areas will also cave-in eventually and then regenerate into something completely different.  If they make the underground areas interesting, that adds whole new dimensions of gameplay.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I need to hear/see more, I do not like the character graphics much, and the other stuff looks a little soft, but we will see.

The world learning/changing is nice, and similar to something I had posted before, my example revolved around pvp more, with the AI going after players, forming alliances, even with players, content being created that is open world, and such, so some of it is there.

I missed a little of the broadcast, but I didn't get a sense on how open/instanced it was going to be, how crafting would work, harvesting...

Housing, if it was instanced or open world (like I said I missed some, so they may have said).

The weapons changing abilities, did not like it in GW2, so we will see what they do.

The over the top blowing things up, not a huge fan of it, I generally turn my spell effects and such down in the UI.

They did say the world would heal/grow back over time, to counter the disctruction, so we will have to see how that works...

Overall, I am not much further today then I was before, need more info.

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I don't think people understand the full weight of some of the features they talked about.  

The dynamic NPC system along with the longer story arc permanent world changes sound incredible, and they will play out differently on each server because they are dynamically driven.

The procedural-generated multi-tiered, destructable land is simply astonishing.  Not only will you be able to (or even if you don't want to) go into multiple "layers" of the land to adventure and find resources, but these areas will also cave-in eventually and then regenerate into something completely different.  If they make the underground areas interesting, that adds whole new dimensions of gameplay.

I think some of the concepts are great.

If you had given me the longer story arcs, the dynamic questing, the world changes, the night/day cycle..

and then stuck that in a game that looked like EQ1 and played like EQ1..

I would have been ecstatic.  Instead they appear to have thrown most everything EQ1 out the door and turned this into a cartoony League of Legends/GW2 console MMO with those aspects.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Just saw the twitch stream really was expecting the same old crap tbh,but voxels,modding real world cash from your modding efforts,class less hybrid abilites certainly now takes this above Wildstar in expectation for me.

Just hope they can replicate the crafting of Vanguard throw in a hybrid/f2p Model and then I'm sold. image

p>
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by Cinge
    Originally posted by tommygunzII I was probably most impressed by the dynamic battles, questing,

I need a drink now image

Wait what?

The rally call things (public battles) that will carry on over a couple of months with dynamic actions. 

The questing will be different for every character because of the evolving world and choices made.

Thats what I was referring to.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I don't get why everyone thinks the graphics are cartoony ? All I heard was that the eyes and some features are slightly bigger so people can see other peoples emotes even from a long distance . That's what I heard and saw. Now wildstar is basically a space ace MMO , yes a cartoon. Also lay off the console comments.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

For me it wasnt mind-blowing. For me it was logical evolution of MMORPG genre which I was hoping to see long ago. Actually when TITAN was announced I expected it to be something like Second Life with better graphics and easier to use tools. But in the end this role took EQ Next (well, maybe Titan will also).

They didnt show anything new. They took ideas from Minecraft, Second Life, some older MMORPGs. But nobody made it before with such mix and on such scale, and this is EQN's strongest point. Even if they fail to deliver, maybe other MMO devs take their noises off archaic questing mechanics and start opening virtual worlds, that are ruled and expanded by players.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    The concept is absolutely amazing. Now the big questions is about how well they can execute.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I just don't see how it is possible to have every NPC "unique" and not scripted per say but based on their own wants/desires, and have all the content in the game one time "if one person does it, something new is generated to take it's place" kind of thing.

I mean, based on what I've seen, they are actually building a truly living, breathing world that will actually be different every time you log in and each action and reaction is unique.

Is it even possible?

If it is... if they ACTUALLY pull this off, it will redefine not only the MMORPG genre, but all of gaming.

How do you stop exploits? Griefing?

How do you create unique triggers for EVERY player in a MMO world so they can advance their skills / skill set.

No levels, purely exploration based progression?

So many questions...

But man, in Smed hype talk OMG is it true? Speak - I am absolutely stunned.