Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll]Are you happy with Everquest Next?

thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
Are you happy with what you have seen so far about Everquest Next?

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    What is not to like? ;) i loved it really.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

That shit Brad was saying about people that love VG and EQ would love EQN? He was fucking wrong!!!! EQN looks more like Rift, GW2 and Reckoning have a love child.

Im getting sick of these cartoonie looking games.

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    What is not to like? ;) i loved it really.

I think for me its a situation where, if its for consoles and free I would try it... but ESO is back on my radar.

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110

Mostly ewwww.

Started out okay.  But where is the EQ?? 

A couple toons blasting through 50 mobs like they were nothing?  Ridiculous graphics effects to the point you can't see anything on the screen.  No thought required at all, just blasting through everything. 

And is the entire game gonna be instanced???  Must be based on the destruction you can do.

Multiclassing?  Ok, I suppose, but two weapons per class?  Limited abilities per class?  No buying spells? 

I don't know.. my hype train derailed after watching this.  And I'm the type of guy that enjoys playing Minecraft...

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

It looks so WoW like.

This will be an awesome game for WoW players and casuals, I can never see it attract hardcore players.

• CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85

Need a middle ground option in there.

Concept wise, the game sounds amazing.

Art wise, the world, I could take it or leave it, but the character models... ugh, I know it's a style, but if they were just a tad bit wider they might look a bit better.

That and the warriors armor a disappointment.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Very happy. I'm just left hungry for more details. Specifically on PvP and what type of character progression systems there are.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I loved the presentation, it looks great.

I particularly loved the "class" system and their take on the "public quests". Finally a grand quest scheme that doesn't just take half an hour to complete. Something that takes true effort and time spent to achieve.

I gave the presentation a solid 8/10.

Originally posted by Kiyoris

It looks so WoW like.

This will be an awesome game for WoW players and casuals, I can never see it attract hardcore players.

This.  I'm trying to figure out how marketing had the gall to throw "hardcore" anywhere near this game.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

That shit Brad was saying about people that love VG and EQ would love EQN? He was fucking wrong!!!! EQN looks more like Rift, GW2 and Reckoning have a love child.

Is this where you go back to defending him as a visionary designer, great leader of man and champion of MMOing?  (or whatever).

Anyhow, I'm just kidding.  At least we can agree that the game visually looks like utter shit.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

Not to mention the implementation of Disney's The Lion King. This is not the EQ I was hoping for. This is more like a melding of GW2/Wildstar/Minecraft/WoW.

Also they don't seem to have the resources to build this game alone so they are tricking the players into creating content for them....for shame.

• mmorpg99mmorpg99 Member Posts: 15

I voted awful because these games for me are an escape.  With those graphics, I just can't connect with my character.  I started playing EQ in 1999 at the ripe age of 16.  Now at  30, this means even more to me.  I just can not, and will not play a game that looks like WoW.

And for the record, I never spend a dime on WoW, for the same reason. 

Now gameplay usually is more important, but those graphics are just impossible to work with IMO.

Sad really, guess I'll have to wait for Elder Scrolls Online, and or Camelot Unchained. 

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    [mod edit]

Or we're Everquest fans who think it honestly looks aweful. 

It literally looks like GW2 and WoW had a love child. Just aweful. 

That is of course my opinion, but as a 10+year Everquest veteran i'm writing EQ:Next off. It's just too much to stomach.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I dunno, sort of disappointed.

Nothing about forced grouping, strategy, death penalty, combat.

We don't need another WoW set in a fisher-price world for the least common denominator. And so far, that's what it looks like.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Graphics are just graphics, you will get used to it. Great ideas, truely a sandbox. Combat looked annoyingly gw2ish, I had hoped for more tactical stuff and less lightshow. 
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I expected the game to copy a lot from Guild Wars 2, so this presentation was not as big of a shock to me.  I also played Planetside 2 so I kind of knew the graphics were going to be more flashy and cartoony in a way.  But I liked Planetside 2's graphics, it was one of the highlights to that game.  People will like what they see in EQN since they use the same engine, the environment graphics will be amazing.

What they must nail down though, is the combat.  What was shown was not very inspiring as it looked like random button smashing.  Pretty spell effects and graphics, yes.  But lots of random button smashing, and slow dumb AI.  Combat is huge, they have to get combat right.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by LIOKI

Not to mention the implementation of Disney's The Lion King. This is not the EQ I was hoping for.

Whoever chose the art direction should be fired.

And for me it's not about the graphics per se...........a world that looks like a children's cartoon.......is going to attract children.......we can forget about any harsh world ideas.

I expected it to be somewhere between EQ and WoW, I didn't expect it to look like I just ran into a fisher-price store.

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173

Im getting sick of these cartoonie looking games.

Someone else mentioned it though, you have to have a lower poly count on players if you want to have great technology in a game.  The voxels he spoke of are too demanding on systems to have a high poly count on players/npcs.  I'm not disturbed by the look of the game at all, when I take into consideration what the game is giving the players.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    The graphics are not my favorite thing about the game, but there are so many other cool features that I will of course give it a try.  Anyone else here keep saying to themselves "like Guild Wars 2"  when Georgeson was talking?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

That shit Brad was saying about people that love VG and EQ would love EQN? He was fucking wrong!!!!

EQN looks more like Rift, GW2 and Reckoning have a love child.

I cant wait to play EQN but i do agree w you

Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by Farstryder

[mod edit]

Or we're Everquest fans who think it honestly looks aweful. 

It literally looks like GW2 and WoW had a love child. Just aweful. 

That is of course my opinion, but as a 10+year Everquest veteran i'm writing EQ:Next off. It's just too much to stomach.

Never thought I would be agreeing with you before today's reveal...  But what we just saw was an abortion and nothing like EQ.  I am having a hard time figuring how SOE could have gone down this path.. not just in graphic and art design, but just the overall feel of the game (mobs were real things to be worried about in EQ1.. in this game they appear to be things you cleave through in a matter of seconds.. and not just one, but 20).

Sorry... so disappointed right now.. I'd rather play EQ1.

• AvridAvrid Member Posts: 7

while the idea is an interesting one,  steal the art, movement and combat from wildstar,  steal the class system from ff 11/14, and throw in some minecraft for some sandbox feauters.

I don't think that it will actually work very well

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Waterlily

We don't need another WoW set in a fisher-price world for the least common denominator. And so far, that's what it looks like.

Are you trolling or are you serious? what does WOW and Eqnext has in common in the presentation that they showed?

Just that they both use stylised graphics is that it? could you shed more light on how EQNEXT is  another WOW? pretty please.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Felt exact same way - pretty disappointed really.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Thought it looked awesome. I never liked the (art)styles of EQ and EQ2, so I was worried for a bit, but when they showed those character designs all my worries disappeared. I only want to see realism in an mmo when they can do it to a degree that it LOOKS REAL, not the horrible stuff we've been seeing for years. Stylized graphics hardly age and I love their designs so far, so 2 thumbs up from me.

As for the other parts; all looked very promising and I'm looking forward to more (specific) info/reveals.

I'm certainly psyched to be getting creative this winter. I liked the ideas of minecraft, but I could never get myself to embrace that game because of its horrid looks. This seems like a very good alternative. :)