Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

While all this sounds great I still won't give it much thought till I play it.

Especially since it's F2P I have a feeling the cash shop is going to kill this game especially if everything is destructible.  I can see the rage now.  Someone spends $ on a castle and it is destroyed while offline.  Ya GG.

• AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Wow... Just wow. This sounds sooooo good. Hope it lives up to the hype. There have been a ton of MMO's that have over promised and under delivered lately. Lets all hope this game is the exception.
  • RamadonisRamadonis Member Posts: 18
    First they get Jeremy Soule to do the OST...then all this news. Seriously... man. Now I HAVE to give it a try.
  • JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172

Was just mildly interested before, but now I'm definitely interested! 

But they did steal my username for the human female wizard  :p

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

'Stylized holds up over time over realistic style'

Well, if I hate the stylized look of it RIGHT NOW, I don't think it matters if it'll hold up... personally, I'm sick of the games that look like this. Putting this in my 'no thanks' pile right next to SWTOR :/

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Not only does this look like a theme park and not a sandbox MMO, I haven't seen anything to make me believe this isn't some other EZ-MMOde game. Not saying it is either, just that from what I have seen, this could easily be ultra casual.
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Maybe I am truly over MMOs in general, because I am completely underwhelmed by all of this, especially the combat.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Well, at least  now we know what SoE thinks a Sandbox is. Still looks like a Theme Park to me. Don't get me wrong, so far it looks pretty good, but as with anything new and untried, there are the unforeseen dynamics that will need to be dealt with that will show up. But yeah, it looks like it could be interesting.

You DO realize that the ONLY thing a game must require, by definition, to be considered a sandbox MMO, is an open world that anyone can get anywhere at any time, right? It has nothing to do with player ran economies,destructible and constructible things, etc..

Where is that definition from?

Fact is, ask 10 people to define it, you get 10 different answers, No one agrees on a solid definition. There is, however,  a general consensus among players as to when a game is considered a sandbox or it isn't.

A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game. - Techopedia definition

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BloodpactBloodpact Member Posts: 14

Another cartoony MMO, the name means nothing, creatively bankrupt art direction, wouldn't play this shit if I got paid.

"Where is the feeling of accomplishment in a game where you can never go where there is none to be had?"
    -Me, on the subject of Bethesda > BioWare

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Lets forget about the innovations, and just focus on the look...not... IF they pull half of this stuff off it would be a great game, if they get all of that stuff right, I won't even know what to say.

My reaction seeing many of these console MMO's at e3 was, why aren't actual MMO devs doing this stuff? I'm glad to see that someone is.

Character interaction with the environment, real destruction in the environment, a purpose for exploration ( seemingly lots of purposes),etc...

This is where this genre has always lacked, and I'm glad to see it's getting attention. I also love the idea of truly migrating NPC's/Mobs...

The look isn't my cup of tea, but the game sounds like it's created by people with an imagination, as well as a passion for this genre to be great again...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Well we can surmise its still a year out, or better.

My hope is they can reallydo the emergent A.I. justice. If its 1/2 assed it can hurt the game play.

So did anyone else notice that they didnt talk about quest hubs, except with how it relates to Rally-calls? I hope its not all dynamic events and PQ style game play.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Overall, I like what I saw and heard. My only real concern is how crafting will be handled, and if the game allows for open world housing. The creation of Landmark leads me to believe they have separated the sandbox from the core game. We'll see I guess.

Joined - July 2004

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

well certainly hate the new Kerran look, but other than the artstyle, the game seems to become amazing : )    looking forward to EQnext landmark

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

As predicted more PR work,if i hear one more time "This is OUR GAME" i'm gonna put Smedley in the same house as Arena Net and burn it...lol not really but the thought is nice :P

As predicted Christmas release, so will be rushed release.Easy to pull off when you claim the content is generated by the users,it is OUR GAME,we are building it TOGETHER ../sigh.

Graphics look too much like Wow to support lower end gaming and F2p.

Presenting game play with overpowered characters is not legit ,o/p Aoe,most likely maxxed out characters versus trash mobs.Lame way to end the presentation but looked effective from a PR stand point.

Don't like the terrible view distance,graphics actually look worse than EQ2  which i never expected,i actually thought they would rival FFXIV.Soe has been traditionally leader of the pack for pushing specs,unless that video was so poor quality,it looks more liek SOE is pushing a cheap f2p platform.I am not really surprised after i played Planetside2 and they said using the same engine.I was terribly turned off by what i saw in PS2.

As i fully expected ,this is a game designed to support f2p and support tons of cash shop.Notice they did not mention once about cash shop.I never liked PR work that tries to be misleading and SOE did exactly that here.

SOE showed me nothing that removes my skeptical outlook on SOE's direction the last few years.If this game is sub fee only,which it wil lnot be,i would give it some credibility,but tossing out ideas and not telling the truth behind them,is not right.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Nothing about how grouping works, which is what am really interested in.
  • frizzlepicklefrizzlepickle Member Posts: 72
    Notice they don't show a UI XD!

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Lot here to like, and probably enough variety to keep me interested for a good while building things.  Combat from their presentation looked like meh though.   I'm not a fan of games with giant colored shapes on the ground telegraphing attacks so a 5-year old knows to get out of the way.  The hybrid action/limited hotbar gameplay does nothing for me.  Seems half-assed even in games like GW2.  Give me straight action combat or full-blown hotbars, not half of each.  Those are purely my preferences so it looks like this is the going to be the new standard for this generation MMO.  Kind of ironic that after deciding they were tired of everyone making the same game, that half a dozen MMOs have all come out with this same general style of gameplay at once and tried to sell it as innovative each time.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Cartoony?   I am one who dislikes the cartoony type games but didnt feel this went overboard in that direction. Sure, it is not hyperrealistic but I can deal with it. 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Really people, try to look beyond graphics and the missing PvP info. Is that really all you care about ? Good graphics and PvP ? Go play an FPS then.

It really looks that SOE tries something NEW here. Not the same MMO again we played for 10 or more years now. They want to give us a real living world where you can destroy and build and npc actually have an own AI and not only a five line script with fixed respawn.

I have more questions than knowledge about this game yet. But they definately got my attention.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Well it is good to know that most of the overly judgmental trollish nimrods on these forums won't be in the game.  If you are willing to bitch and moan over a graphic style to stop you from playing a game that looks pretty damn cool then you shouldn't be playing games at all.

Do you guys even remember what the art style in EQ1 was?  It was cartoony as hell also.  I think the art style looks great, yeah it looks a lot like Wildstar but I like their style too.

The only thing that concerns me from the reveal is the PQ's or Rally Calls.  They say that they will happen randomly throughout the world depending on whats happening and where.  But I've heard this before from other games like Rift, and GW2 during their development.  And what actually happens at launch is it is a PQ on a timer that just recycles itself over and over from day 1 to game end.

Dave said after the Rally Call is finished it will move or never happen again and also change the world around it. But saying that is one thing and actually seeing it in game is another.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Distopia

Lets forget about the innovations, and just focus on the look...not... IF they pull half of this stuff off it would be a great game, if they get all of that stuff right, I won't even know what to say.

My reaction seeing many of these console MMO's at e3 was, why aren't actual MMO devs doing this stuff? I'm glad to see that someone is.

Character interaction with the environment, real destruction in the environment, a purpose for exploration ( seemingly lots of purposes),etc...

This is where this genre has always lacked, and I'm glad to see it's getting attention. I also love the idea of truly migrating NPC's/Mobs...

The look isn't my cup of tea, but the game sounds like it's created by people with an imagination, as well as a passion for this genre to be great again...

Hell he said it, and for me I took noticed. They were/are D&D players, old school players. Where the world is as big as your (their) imagination.

Too much of what we're getting nowadays is from people who were weened on Zelda and Final Fantasy.

MMO's built like it was based off of corridor and room play. The whole you explore area "A" defeat boss "A" the move to area "B" and gear up till you can beat boss "B" so that you can move to area "C" so....

Giving people direction is fine. But what a lot of developers really dont understand is; their potential player base are MMO gaming veterans, people who have been playing MMOs for years if not ten years plus. We really dont need a whole lot of hand holding.

Its been one of my grips for the last 3+ years. We're not children. Ive found it almost insulting actually.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    It was fun reading this. I haven't been giddy like this in a long time. Great job SOE.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Affordable
    No mention of PVP?

Not in depth but he briefly did say the word pvp in the speech so I guess its in there somewhere.  PvP is almost always teh last feature to be talked about with a developing game.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67
    I love the art style. I think it looks great.