Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Titan: Morhaime: "...unlikely to be a subscription based MMORPG."

Comments

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Why does everyone keep talking about Blizzard like it's the same company? It's not, people. Blizzard of 2004 and Blizzard of 2013, a lot of time has passed and they earned enough money to spin anyone's head. They are not the same and should not be viewed as the same. Look at them like any other company that's sitting on a big IP - they're closer to SOE than old Blizzard.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Your all missing the point,

I would LOVE to know their motives behind the direction switch and game's current focus.  

This is just a tease by blizzard.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Why does everyone keep talking about Blizzard like it's the same company? It's not, people. Blizzard of 2004 and Blizzard of 2013, a lot of time has passed and they earned enough money to spin anyone's head. They are not the same and should not be viewed as the same. Look at them like any other company that's sitting on a big IP - they're closer to SOE than old Blizzard.

This is a poor argument. Sure there may have been some creative turnover, but do you honestly believe that Blizzard isn't the most coveted companies to work for for anyone interested in creating games? I'm willing to GUESS that their recruiting is #1 in the industry.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Yay, no subs!

My bet is on B2P.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Final Fantasy XIV is prolly the last subscription based mmo to be released

Unless it succeeds which I hope it does.  The only other MMO I personally had hope for was Blizzards so now it's all on FFXIV :P.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Blizzard's decline continues. World of Warcraft evolves to casual kid's game with pandas to compete with child-friendly Hello Kirty Online, along with repetitive expansions and updates. Diablo 3 is an auction-house game with a boring, minor dark fantasy mini-game. Titan is dead. Starcraft 2 is a good game ruined by a greedy, buy-me-three-times cash grab. This is not the vibrant, innovative, gamer-friendly company it used to be.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Sounds like they are designing a mmo that has gine through a certain phase and a change in dev team. Or their vision for titan became a lot more smaller making the title as far as we know ironic.

Them making it F2P is an indication of a smaller project, but not necessarily.

This is not looking good.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Until i see a reveal and some gameplay then everything I hear on Titan will fall on deaf ears.
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by Alalala
    Blizzard's decline continues. World of Warcraft evolves to casual kid's game with pandas to compete with child-friendly Hello Kirty Online, along with repetitive expansions and updates. Diablo 3 is an auction-house game with a boring, minor dark fantasy mini-game. Titan is dead. Starcraft 2 is a good game ruined by a greedy, buy-me-three-times cash grab. This is not the vibrant, innovative, gamer-friendly company it used to be.

Wow used to be a game that you actually had to think about several things to get the most our of you character. Talents was one thing that stood out, that's gone and now everyone is the same. Used to have to respect several times in order to get the most DPS from a char cause there were so many choices. Learning things like weapon skill is gone. The whole game is faceroll keyboard for win. If they had kept it the same as it was in vanilla WoW and just added the expansions they might still have 12 million players. As far as the company is concerned, they changed the minute they were bought out into a cash grab company.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by RedMachine72
    Originally posted by Alalala

Wow used to be a game that you actually had to think about several things to get the most our of you character. Talents was one thing that stood out, that's gone and now everyone is the same. Used to have to respect several times in order to get the most DPS from a char cause there were so many choices. Learning things like weapon skill is gone. The whole game is faceroll keyboard for win. If they had kept it the same as it was in vanilla WoW and just added the expansions they might still have 12 million players. As far as the company is concerned, they changed the minute they were bought out into a cash grab company.

If one actually played WoW one would realise that even if everyone is given the same kit it still leaves room for skill and makes two identical characters perform very differently.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Who says it will even be a traditional MMO?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    The subscription based mmo is basically dead. 
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Blizzard lost their magic long ago.
    They milk older IP's and do that better then every other studio.

But lets be honest.

Diablo 3 is bad
    Cataclysm was bad
    Mop is even worse
    Titan wasnt even worth a screenshot after years of development.

Each decision Blizzard made was making their games worse and worse.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

99% it will be B2P with cash-shop ala GW2.

If from some "big" (1%) reasons, it will be F2P, then they can &@!& deep in their a$$ with Titan. FF XIV and Wildstar, the last mohicans!

True story.

EDIT: Excuse me. Also it will have a RMAH ala D3. For real.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Another Blizzard RTS would be sweet.  If there's one thing they know, it's RTS :D  Warcraft 4?!?!
  • BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

This tells me that Blizzard doesnt have faith in their own product. Sub based games are alive and well. Just because you are a cheapscate doesnt mean that other gamers wont pay premium dollars for a good game.

And considering how long this game has been in development there is probably a lot of costs that needs to be covered.

This one is gonna crash and burn.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by jpaprocki
    If it's not sub-based then I wont be playing.  Looks like my mmo days are numbered now.   Time to dust off my single player games.

I play only sub based games, only decent exception is Gw2 (ok, it is B2P, but still). I would have no problem to play single player games ... but mmo's (not all of course, but for sure wow, swtor, ...) are so supperior in quality and fun .... normal games are no match. Skyrim despite being big world ... does not even part of mmo quality (however still much better then its boring predecessors).

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by BloodyViking

This tells me that Blizzard doesnt have faith in their own product. Sub based games are alive and well. Just because you are a cheapscate doesnt mean that other gamers wont pay premium dollars for a good game.

And considering how long this game has been in development there is probably a lot of costs that needs to be covered.

Will they be alive and kicking in 2016/17 when titan will be released?

• Originally posted by tkreep
    Final Fantasy XIV is prolly the last subscription based mmo to be released

Yea they said that about SWTOR and how many since then have come out P2P, i despise F2P games the only good one is LOTRO because it does not restrict major things for none subs and you can perma unlock every bit of content int he game like i did, invested £80 and now am lifetime.

I don't mind buy to play games but f2p is such a rip off and micro transaction con.

• Originally posted by IceAge

99% it will be B2P with cash-shop ala GW2.

If from some "big" (1%) reasons, it will be F2P, then they can &@!& deep in their a$$ with Titan. FF XIV and Wildstar, the last mohicans!

True story.

EDIT: Excuse me. Also it will have a RMAH ala D3. For real.

I heard from a friend the devs say Wildstar is F2P

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Buttdart

The reason most F2P MMO's are declared 'fail' by the playerbase is because the hardcore - who always lead the way and set the standard in the games, whether they're making youtube vids, running blogs with concrete number-crunching, or running uberguilds - do the math, realize that the company puts out a game where you end up paying more than you would've if it were just $15/month IF you want to play on the high level, and that puts people off when they realize that in order to be a badass and stand out (which lets not kid ourselves, it's what people want to do in these games), they have to open their wallets.

The old-school MMO player wants an MMO where your chance to stand out is a combination of enduring effort in-game AND a roll of the dice, not just "oh, that guy opened his wallet, that's why he has attention". 

It's fine if you are just a casual/social player though and want that kind of gameplay.

The hardcore player of the organized guilds who triumph through their organization in games are done. The money is in catering to casuals, public pickup groups for 8-man dungeons, braindead mechanics that everyone can do (I mean you might as well make it braindead because even if it's complex, it just means the group has to watch the youtube video longer nowadays, right?), on and on.

TL;DR, stop hoping for old-school MMO's where you feel you achieve something and/or lucked out on a drop. Those days are gone. If you want to be badass in the future MMO, you should get a higher paying job.

Well said! +10

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Blizzard lost their magic long ago.
    They milk older IP's and do that better then every other studio.

But lets be honest.

Diablo 3 is bad
    Cataclysm was bad
    Mop is even worse
    Titan wasnt even worth a screenshot after years of development.

Each decision Blizzard made was making their games worse and worse.

Yep. If I remember correctly D3 Was well into development when blizzard scrapped it and started over. Same with SC2 thats why both took 10 years. Same thing is happening to Titan. Titan in its previous installment might have been good, but Actiblizz probably didnt thing they could milk it at its past state.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I started with World of Warcraft back in 2004 and loved the challenge of it, the beautiful music and zones, the dungeon depth and design.. yes even Sunken Temple and Gnomeragon. Raided till my eyes bled and the wife took the kids and kicked the dog.

But you have to understand the minds that developed that content have been long gone. With the advent of Wrath of the Lich King Blizzard had already lost more than a dozen developers. By the time Mists started rolling into development im sure none of the old guard remained.

Now does this mean its a different company? Hell Yes! Blizzard of the North Ceased to exist as soon as it was bought by VIvendi. And now that Kotick has wrested it from Vivendis protective hands dont be surprised if the quality of games from Blizz goes to the crapper. This is the same person who claimed the future of gaming was in Apps..... This is the same guy who screwed with Tripwire, the same guy that lied to the MW creators and started that whole shit storm. 

Im Sure kiotick has done some good things for the gaming industry...... ummm......hrm....... nope Titans screwed as is Blizzard....... well good Thing MMOMagic is still working on Citadel of Sorcery. good luck Blizz Fanboys, been fun!

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by BloodyViking

It tells me that the accounts have more data to work with and have determined that F2P is more profitable than P2P. Blizz found that out with their cash shop selling pets and mounts. You do a little work animating a new mount, put it up on the shop, and it prints money!

As more companies try more things in cash shops, more data becomes available on what sells, in what volumes and how much can be made from it. EVE and GW2 sell currency via indirect methods, so they basically get the money dummies were spending on gold sellers (probably more because it now "legal" in the game and you won't get banned for it).

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    At this point I dont know why anyone cares one iota about Project Titan.