Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this game has cartoony graphics, then I'm out. [Graphics Discussion thread]

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

For me EverQuest is sort of semi realistic high/dark fantasy, it's pure fantasy of how it used to be. Every single fantasy game now just copies WoW, does the cartoony graphics with giant shoulder pads and a boring clean world. I want the dark gritty scary world of what fantasy used to be and I don't want giant shoulder pads and cartoony graphics. SOE have long since butchered EverQuest and EverQuest 2 turning EQ2 into some cartoony crap and EQ into some generic looking plastic tat. 

If they don't get fantasy back to how it should be, and make it some cartoony crap then I'll have no interest already.

[mod note - edited title to try and keep the discussion together]

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I'd rather the game BE dark, gritty, and scary than LOOK dark, gritty, and scary.

Personally, no matter what the graphics look like -- i'll reserve my judgments for the actual gameplay systems that will be in effect.

If it is a great game, there is no shoulderpad big enough to keep me from playing.

To each his own though.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I can't imagine PS2-style terrain and cartoony character models. I would be disappointed if if did look that way though.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

EverQuest, dark and gritty?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/EverQuest_Coverart.png

It IS high fantasy, after all.

Low fantasy is that way if you want to stare at muddy colors all day - > Darkfall

I don't see why it would be cartoony, that's not really EQ's style, but I want some bright colors and lush areas.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by tixylix
    For me EverQuest is sort of semi realistic high/dark fantasy, it's pure fantasy of how it used to be. Every single fantasy game now just copies WoW, does the cartoony graphics with giant shoulder pads and a boring clean world. I want the dark gritty scary world of what fantasy used to be and I don't want giant shoulder pads and cartoony graphics. SOE have long since butchered EverQuest and EverQuest 2 turning EQ2 into some cartoony crap and EQ into some generic looking plastic tat.  If they don't get fantasy back to how it should be, and make it some cartoony crap then I'll have no interest already.

its probably gonna have the shoulders at least, maybe not as ridiculous as wow but it will have them.

also, i don't agree that EQ2 had cartoony graphics but i guess it depends on what we are talking about and how nit picky we are going to be.

if its like wildstar? then yeah, i would have to agree, i wont give wildstar the time of day because of their graphics.

its a game breaker for me.

i do not see EQN having cartoony graphics like or anything near that.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I prefer cartoony graphics! But I'm fine with whatever as long as I enjoy the gameplay.
  • NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    I am on the fence now the major reason I have never played WoW was the graphics.  After seeing the artwork I was disappointed but it's Norrath and as much as I dislike cartoons in my MMO I will have to give it a go.  I did try WoW trial a couple times but always felt like I was running around in Fred Flinstone's body.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    I can't imagine what it's like to be so narrow minded. I guess it really is graphics over gameplay these days. Oh well.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by newbinator
     I'm fine with whatever as long as I enjoy the gameplay.

hear hear

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

It's true. EQ's style has always been realistic sword and sorcery.  Sadly though, from the leaked renders and the concept art, it looks like its going to be all cartoon.

I'm sure the LAND will look nice, especially with the PS2 engine, but the characters and armor and weapons will look awful.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

I'd rather the game BE dark, gritty, and scary than LOOK dark, gritty, and scary.

Personally, no matter what the graphics look like -- i'll reserve my judgments for the actual gameplay systems that will be in effect.

If it is a great game, there is no shoulderpad big enough to keep me from playing.

To each his own though.

As long at the game is fun and the graphics don't slow systems down too much, it's all good.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

To each his own though.

You could still make it dark, gritty and cartoony. Some cartoons like Spawn, Black lagoon, anything by Simon Bisley and so on are dark and gritty.

Of course if they make it "cute" then it would upset me.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

People need to realize that there's a wide range between "cartoony like my little pony" and "gritty like game of thrones".

I just want a game with a fairly serious (but not overdone) tone and with decent looking graphics that immerse into the world.

EQII had realistic graphics but the secondary sounds of the game and some of the character designs and animations made the game just that - cute. On the other hand, WoW may have been cartoony but I never felt out of place while grazing the plains of Mulgore.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

We should expect it to resemble the kind of art in the Clone Wars cartoon series, but hopefully it will work.

Would be interesting if it resembled Little Big Planet graphics...

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    I'm glad I'm not hung up on graphics. Must suck.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Iadien

This is not really about graphics but art and feeling of the game.

Fine and cartoony

Forget it!

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It's true. EQ's style has always been realistic sword and sorcery.  Sadly though, from the leaked renders and the concept art, it looks like its going to be all cartoon.

I'm sure the LAND will look nice, especially with the PS2 engine, but the characters and armor and weapons will look awful.

I wouldn't take the artwork as any indication of what the character models will be like.

• LemacsLemacs Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Hope it is non cartoony graphics

UO-EQ1-SWG-DAOC-WOW-EQ2-WAR-GW2-RIFT

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Gritty Cartoon:

(Long John Silver, french comic)

Trying to ruffle some feathers on purpose.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

OP needs to differentiate Arty Style from Graphics.

Personally, i don't mind WoW's art style, which is similar to Warhammer's.  Is it over the top and exaggerated?  Of course, but at least it sticks to some western mythology, such as orcs, trolls, and goblins.  When art style, starts looking like Wildstar though, that's where i draw the line.  I can't get into furries or anime toons with huge eyes.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Gritty Cartoon:

What?

Not, just showing, like our friend Loke, that "cartoon/comic" style doesn't have to be "my little pony" or even "star wars: the clone wars".

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Gritty Cartoon:

What?

Not, just showing, like our friend Loke, that "cartoon/comic" style doesn't have to be "my little pony" or even "star wars: the clone wars".

alright, my bad

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by LordEbola
    [mod edit]

Well thanks for coming onto a forum about their newest game and sharing that with us.  Since we're talking about things that each other don't care about, let me tell you about my cat...

I can handle cartoony, stylized art.  Cutesy, however, makes my stomach turn.  Female bunny characters anyone?

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Loke666

Fine and cartoony

Forget it!

Either way, I couldn't care less. EQN will not look like, whatever that thing is anyway. lol

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Loke666

Fine and cartoony

Forget it!

Either way, I couldn't care less. EQN will not look like, whatever that thing is anyway. lol

I think its the punisher and a colorful creepy pegasus.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

Cartoony has advantages

• requires less system resources
    • ages better
    • art style can give the game a unique look