Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmed: No chat bubbles

2»

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Toxia Originally posted by DeniZg Originally posted by Toxia Chat bubbles was the deal breaker for you? Incredible xD I understand your point, though it could be irritating trying to read a long post in a chat bubble only to have it fade away, leaving you looking at the chatbox anyways. Most chatboxes have different channels you can set to it, i dont see this as a real issue honestly.  
    I know that my opening post was a bit over dramatic, but I'd rather not play a game where I have to stare at the corner of the screen instead of really playing and communicating with other players. There will be other new and interesting MMO's available on the market at that time, so no big deal actually. Also, if a developer can not implement chat bubbles, you have to ask yourself, are they capable of creating a decent MMORPG? (see Bioware example).
    The highlighted is where i get abit confused. For any modern mmo these days, your are moving and pumping buttons so much its quite a task just to stop and chat atall. GW2 being my experience. When i was learning things we just stopped before a boss room or pile of trash mobs and talked about how we'd wanna handle it, then go at it. I rarely had time to stop mid fight and chat. And then there's the whole thing of what if people are behind you and such, out of field of view, etc. Still back to looking at the darn chatbox. But yeah, i do agree, it doesnt seem to be something that would be hard to implement for those that want it. little toggle switch and we're off! Maybe they dont want to put resources towards it. who the fuck knows right?  
    It's definitely different in MMOs these days. There is very noticeable lack of chatting--unless you count the annoying "general" channel where people discuss everything but the game. Typed chat of all sorts--bubbles or not--is dying.

Kudos to any MMO developers who recognize that talking is best and they integrate a robust voice chat system into the game. I'm particularly impressed with what SOE (of all people!) have done with Planetside 2. It has multiple chat channels built in: private, squad, platoon, proximity, etc. 

I know some people are still voice shy in MMOs but that's where the technology is heading. I'd be very surprised if this feature is not also built-in EQ Next.

no, i absolutely hate voip in mmo's. its not that i am "voice shy" its the fact that i don't want to hear annoying people i don't know annoying me in my game.

especially annoying little kids. on top of that i listen to music and do other things while playing mmo's, i don't want my experience to be tarnished by a bunch of annoying people running their annoying mouths over my music or the sounds of the game, its for sure an immersion breaker for me, no freaking thanks!

Originally posted by Karteli
    I guess Zenimax is going for the anti-roleplaying, anti-social crowd in their game.  "It's an MMORPG!, but you won't actually interact much, for your safety!" SWTOR had some huge roleplay mechanisms in place, but chat-bubbles hurt that game immensely (along with a horrid graphics engine). I would have thought that devs know by now people like to live inside the game, not outside it. Single player games can be fun, but without sufficient interaction, this game will die like SWTOR did .. or GW2 for that matter, though to a lesser extent.

i wasn't aware that GW2 and swtor "died"? or do you mean dead to you? lol chat bubbles and a laggy engine is not what drove the masses away from swtor, if you believe that then you are pretty disconnected with what most mmo gamers want.

people were loving that game for the first month or two, some how the "horrible" engine and chat bubbles didn't seem to bother them then, how come?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Toxia

Originally posted by DeniZg

Originally posted by Toxia Chat bubbles was the deal breaker for you? Incredible xD I understand your point, though it could be irritating trying to read a long post in a chat bubble only to have it fade away, leaving you looking at the chatbox anyways. Most chatboxes have different channels you can set to it, i dont see this as a real issue honestly.  
    I know that my opening post was a bit over dramatic, but I'd rather not play a game where I have to stare at the corner of the screen instead of really playing and communicating with other players. There will be other new and interesting MMO's available on the market at that time, so no big deal actually. Also, if a developer can not implement chat bubbles, you have to ask yourself, are they capable of creating a decent MMORPG? (see Bioware example).
    The highlighted is where i get abit confused. For any modern mmo these days, your are moving and pumping buttons so much its quite a task just to stop and chat atall. GW2 being my experience. When i was learning things we just stopped before a boss room or pile of trash mobs and talked about how we'd wanna handle it, then go at it. I rarely had time to stop mid fight and chat. And then there's the whole thing of what if people are behind you and such, out of field of view, etc. Still back to looking at the darn chatbox. But yeah, i do agree, it doesnt seem to be something that would be hard to implement for those that want it. little toggle switch and we're off! Maybe they dont want to put resources towards it. who the fuck knows right?  
    It's definitely different in MMOs these days. There is very noticeable lack of chatting--unless you count the annoying "general" channel where people discuss everything but the game. Typed chat of all sorts--bubbles or not--is dying.

Kudos to any MMO developers who recognize that talking is best and they integrate a robust voice chat system into the game. I'm particularly impressed with what SOE (of all people!) have done with Planetside 2. It has multiple chat channels built in: private, squad, platoon, proximity, etc. 

I know some people are still voice shy in MMOs but that's where the technology is heading. I'd be very surprised if this feature is not also built-in EQ Next.

no, i absolutely hate voip in mmo's. its not that i am "voice shy" its the fact that i don't want to hear annoying people i don't know annoying me in my game.

especially annoying little kids. on top of that i listen to music and do other things while playing mmo's, i don't want my experience to be tarnished by a bunch of annoying people running their annoying mouths over my music or the sounds of the game, its for sure an immersion breaker for me, no freaking thanks!

I kind of agree with you. When I was playing GW2, I was enjoying the chat, but at the same time sometimes I had to disconnect my voice because I was missing the music and sound effects which I like to blast and it does break the immersion for me as well a bit. Especially when on one persons mic, they sound soft and then another persons is super loud. Its hard to find a good volume balance with their voices while balancing the sound effects of the game lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Iselin Originally posted by Toxia Originally posted by DeniZg Originally posted by Toxia Chat bubbles was the deal breaker for you? Incredible xD I understand your point, though it could be irritating trying to read a long post in a chat bubble only to have it fade away, leaving you looking at the chatbox anyways. Most chatboxes have different channels you can set to it, i dont see this as a real issue honestly.  
    It's definitely different in MMOs these days. There is very noticeable lack of chatting--unless you count the annoying "general" channel where people discuss everything but the game. Typed chat of all sorts--bubbles or not--is dying.   Kudos to any MMO developers who recognize that talking is best and they integrate a robust voice chat system into the game. I'm particularly impressed with what SOE (of all people!) have done with Planetside 2. It has multiple chat channels built in: private, squad, platoon, proximity, etc.  I know some people are still voice shy in MMOs but that's where the technology is heading. I'd be very surprised if this feature is not also built-in EQ Next.
      no, i absolutely hate voip in mmo's. its not that i am "voice shy" its the fact that i don't want to hear annoying people i don't know annoying me in my game. especially annoying little kids. on top of that i listen to music and do other things while playing mmo's, i don't want my experience to be tarnished by a bunch of annoying people running their annoying mouths over my music or the sounds of the game, its for sure an immersion breaker for me, no freaking thanks!
    I kind of agree with you. When I was playing GW2, I was enjoying the chat, but at the same time sometimes I had to disconnect my voice because I was missing the music and sound effects which I like to blast and it does break the immersion for me as well a bit. Especially when on one persons mic, they sound soft and then another persons is super loud. Its hard to find a good volume balance with their voices while balancing the sound effects of the game lol.

as long as its optional i don't have a problem with it. once a game makes it mandatory then that is a game i will pass on.

which i don't think will ever happen anyways.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Zenimax says the word "no" more than any other developer I've ever seen in my 15 years of following this genre. It's impressive.

Joined - July 2004

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I know that my opening post was a bit over dramatic.

It's ok, all "immersion" threads are. Nature of the hyperbolic beast.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by Toxia

Originally posted by Toxia Chat bubbles was the deal breaker for you? Incredible xD I understand your point, though it could be irritating trying to read a long post in a chat bubble only to have it fade away, leaving you looking at the chatbox anyways. Most chatboxes have different channels you can set to it, i dont see this as a real issue honestly.  
    It's definitely different in MMOs these days. There is very noticeable lack of chatting--unless you count the annoying "general" channel where people discuss everything but the game. Typed chat of all sorts--bubbles or not--is dying.   Kudos to any MMO developers who recognize that talking is best and they integrate a robust voice chat system into the game. I'm particularly impressed with what SOE (of all people!) have done with Planetside 2. It has multiple chat channels built in: private, squad, platoon, proximity, etc.  I know some people are still voice shy in MMOs but that's where the technology is heading. I'd be very surprised if this feature is not also built-in EQ Next.
      no, i absolutely hate voip in mmo's. its not that i am "voice shy" its the fact that i don't want to hear annoying people i don't know annoying me in my game. especially annoying little kids. on top of that i listen to music and do other things while playing mmo's, i don't want my experience to be tarnished by a bunch of annoying people running their annoying mouths over my music or the sounds of the game, its for sure an immersion breaker for me, no freaking thanks!

as long as its optional i don't have a problem with it. once a game makes it mandatory then that is a game i will pass on.

which i don't think will ever happen anyways.

Luddites! image

J/K... I do know what you mean about the annoyance factor. But I've also had great experiences with it besides the obvious advantage of easier coordination.

I used to be in a good RP/PVP guild in WOW and we had a couple of people that excelled at voice RP...one, who had a great voice, even composed a couple of game-appropriate songs that he sang every now and then.

It's like everything else, it can be done well or it can suck.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

I mean am i taking crazy pills!!??  We are really talking no chat bubbles!!! Guy wont play because a game dont have chat bubbles!!  I thought this was a joke until it got 4 pages of posts. 

I for one can not stand chat bubbles,its the first thing i turn off. Its like reading a comic book.

Next up lets have somone not play because apples in an apple tree only come in red .......

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I hate chat bubbles, they are really annoying in crowded areas.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

This says a lot about Zenimax.

Did they not learn from other MMOs (most notably from Swtor)?  Is it amateur hour over there?

There's a reason people love chat bubbles.  It's because it makes it easier for communication.

Why not just give players the option?  As from this thread, it seems like people would use them, and people would not use them. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by observer

Did they not learn from other MMOs (most notably from Swtor)?  Is it amateur hour over there?

There's a reason people love chat bubbles.  It's because it makes it easier for communication.

Why not just give players the option?  As from this thread, it seems like people would use them, and people would not use them. 

Could you be any more dramatic with regard to associating a single feature with a company? Why is it that in my 11 years of MMO playing, not ONCE did a group member every say, I'm having trouble communcating because there are no chat bubbles. Some of you really need to grow some perspective. Do I think they should have it as an option, yes. Do I feel this somehow makes them into an evil company that doesn't listen or learn, no. If they were they wouldn't have learned from the more important features like first person view which they implemented when they originally weren't. Thats a lot more important to the average Elder Scrolls fan than a chat bubble lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Could you be any more dramatic with regard to associating a single feature with a company? Why is it that in my 11 years of MMO playing, not ONCE did a group member every say, I'm having trouble communcating because there are no chat bubbles. Some of you really need to grow some perspective. Do I think they should have it as an option, yes. Do I feel this somehow makes them into an evil company that doesn't listen or learn, no. If they were they wouldn't have learned from the more important features like first person view which they implemented when they originally weren't. Thats a lot more important to the average Elder Scrolls fan than a chat bubble lol.

It's not being dramatic at all.  It's common sense.  Having chat bubbles is a standard feature in just about every MMO on the market.  Before swtor released, many people brought up this issue, and here we are over a year now, and swtor still doesn't have them.  I'm starting to believe their devs/programmers aren't competent enough to implement them in that MMO.  Another example is GW2.  The devs over there decided to leave out first-person view, because of some silly reason about how they wanted players to view art in their game.  I mean seriously?  This is why i question developers on their moronic decisions such as this one, hence the amateur remark.  It's well justified.

Granted, i'll give Zenimax some slack, since this is their first MMO (i think), but it's obvious that this is a design decision from the top, and i'm pretty sure that they want the Elder Scrolls franchise to feel like elder scrolls, hence the reason for leaving out chat bubbles; however, this is an MMO we are talking about, and not a single-player RPG.  Communication is key in MMOs, especially for pvp.  I, and others, believe this is a wrong decision, because we know from past experience that simple things such as chat bubbles, actually enhances the MMO.  The only option for Zenimax is to give the players an option to toggle it on or off.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but i'm not going to shrug it off like some zealous fanboy, who think every decision Zenimax makes, is perfectly fine.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

It's not being dramatic at all.  It's common sense.  Having chat bubbles is a standard feature in just about every MMO on the market.  Before swtor released, many people brought up this issue, and here we are over a year now, and swtor still doesn't have them.  I'm starting to believe their devs/programmers aren't competent enough to implement them in that MMO.  Another example is GW2.  The devs over there decided to leave out first-person view, because of some silly reason about how they wanted players to view art in their game.  I mean seriously?  This is why i question developers on their moronic decisions such as this one, hence the amateur remark.  It's well justified.

Granted, i'll give Zenimax some slack, since this is their first MMO (i think), but it's obvious that this is a design decision from the top, and i'm pretty sure that they want the Elder Scrolls franchise to feel like elder scrolls, hence the reason for leaving out chat bubbles; however, this is an MMO we are talking about, and not a single-player RPG.  Communication is key in MMOs, especially for pvp.  I, and others, believe this is a wrong decision, because we know from past experience that simple things such as chat bubbles, actually enhances the MMO.  The only option for Zenimax is to give the players an option to toggle it on or off.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but i'm not going to shrug it off like some zealous fanboy, who think every decision Zenimax makes, is perfectly fine.

In all honesty, I think you are over reacting to this feature. If you really have an issue with devs with their game and their decision, go play a different game or go make your own.

I mean, the way you are acting is as if you can't live with out such a simple feature.

Also, keep in mind, this isn't just an MMO, this is an Elder Scrolls game and they have said it 100s of times before. Communication is key? What the heck does chat bubbles have anything to do with that? What? You have issues with slightly glancing at a box? Really!? It's that much of an issue?

Also, did you forget about UI mods? It might not be chat bubbles, but you might be able to come up with something to make it more comfortable for yourself.

• GoldmundGoldmund Member Posts: 8
    I actually polled my guilds about this very subject a while back.  On our pvp server, about 90% never used chat bubbles.  On our roleplay server, about 90% used them all the time.  Personally, I strongly prefer chat bubbles.  I will turn them off in a raid or in a crowded world event, but I consider them pretty much essential for general roleplay.  I've always liked chat bubbles, since the first moment I logged into SWG ages ago.  I really loved thought bubbles too.  I didn't realize how much I would miss them until I started playing SWTOR.  It wasn't the reason I left SWTOR (can blame that on server population issues at launch splitting up all my friends), but I sorely missed them every time I played the game and tried to get into any roleplay.  Without chat bubbles, if I'm in a long conversation, I just end up staring at the chat window forever and all immersion is lost.  It's nice to have some sense of directionality when many are speaking in a crowded room too.  It's not a deal breaker for me, but I count it as a serious strike against the game's potential for engaging roleplay.  For those of you suggesting that voice chat is a better alternative, yes, it's preferable for combat situations.  Have you ever listened to someone trying to roleplay out loud on a voice channel though? That can get pretty rough.
  • MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Another fail by another dev!!!

Some people find chatbubbles annoying.

Some people find chatbubble mandatory for their RP experience. (not saying all but some okej!)

The simple solution should ofcourse be to have chatbubbles in options. Disable or enable Chatbubbles. SIMPLE!

But no.... and diehard fanboys defend their decision....

*Sigh*

Enable or disable it in options.... soooooooo simple it could be.......