Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext WIll Be "Hardcore"? Confirmed From Beta Signup?

DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

https://account.station.sony.com/authenticated/beta/betaRegistration.action?betaId=18

"We are passionate about building a gameplay experience that surpasses your expectations.Beta testing is an integral part of making EverQuest Next a thrilling, hardcore MMORPG experience. As with any Beta, the more participation and feedback we receive from you, the players, the more polished and thrilling game we can produce."

Thoughts? Concerns? Happy dance?

Comments

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Yay? I think, depending on what they mean by "hardcore" image
  • Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    WOOHOO 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Hardcore could very well mean another endless raid grind game.

No reason to dance for that...

Ya I agree... looking forward to knowing what they call hardcore. Back to roots of EQ, epic factions, year long quests? Or the worlds biggest gear treadmill lol?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    We are grasping here.   This is simply marketing.
  • AdrazahnAdrazahn Member Posts: 26
    Given that this beta signup clearly wasn't ready for release, I would take the text with a grain of salt. 
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

That's uplifting.  Some of the best MMORPG's that I stuck with for years were, at least to some degree, hardcore.

This will make the casual crowd unhappy though, since they possibly won't have instant access to everything.  I could see the original EQ being labeled as hardcore, compared to todays softcore limited longevity MMORPG's.

But I guess I have to wait 'til this weekend to have a clearer meaning.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Like everything else we "know" about EQN, this could mean practically anything.
  • DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

I think it means  nymph-like creatures don't even get a fig leaf.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by flizzer
    We are grasping here.   This is simply marketing.

Yes it is Marketing which makes this all the more interesting.  If we know anything about marketing departments one huge drawn out projects like these you will know that marketing has a set of "buzz:" words they will use all the time.  If "hardcore" starts to appear more often then we will know this game will focus on teh hardcore gameplay.

However, like others said, we dont know what SOE means by hardcore.  Could it be sandboxing, pvp rules, or raiding?  All three and/or more?  We have no idea, but hopefully a better idea when SOE live happens.

i would look to see how often "hardcore" is said during Smed's keynote speech when he brings up EQ Next, for first evidence.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

one more day guys then we wont have to put up with these speculation threads anymore, thank the maker!

oh and i didn't know there were already EQN raiding guilds? LOL where can i join a EQN open world FFA pvp guild? :D

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202

All good

/happy dance

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

/signed

Only one way to find out....get in and try it out.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Rather have that than WoW. Any day.

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard Hardcore could very well mean another endless raid grind game. No reason to dance for that...

except wow is also an endless raid grind?

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Im pretty sure SOE  knows the importance of the word "HARDCORE" in the MMO community.  Which does make it very interesting indeed.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Not sure if sarcastic. WoW's end game is exactly that, an endless raid grind.

My thoughts exactly..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

I think the terms "hardcore" and "sandbox" have positive viewer reactions these days so marketing is using them.

By contrast, what game advertises itself as an "awesome casual themepark experience?".

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I don't have enough free evenings for endless raid grinds these days but if it means difficult challenging encounters that take more than just button-mashing to beat then I'm all for that.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by dandurin

I think the terms "hardcore" and "sandbox" have positive viewer reactions these days so marketing is using them.

By contrast, what game advertises itself as an "awesome casual themepark experience".

Good point..Although, isn't that what Anet did for GW2?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Deolus
    I don't have enough free evenings for endless raid grinds these days but if it means difficult challenging encounters that take more than just button-mashing to beat then I'm all for that.

i don't see how it can be a raid progression game, being a "sandbox style game"

will it have raids? apparently so, but we don't even know what the system will be, it may not even be a raid progression system at all.

which is why it cracks me up to see people advertising EQN raiding guilds before knowing anything about this game other than it will have raids to some extent.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Not sure if sarcastic. WoW's end game is exactly that, an endless raid grind.

Yeah, if that's what's considered "hardcore", then no thanks. Hardcore to me means more challenge, and less conveniences. It means actually having to worry about dying, because there are consequences. But we'll see.  *shrug*

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard Hardcore could very well mean another endless raid grind game. No reason to dance for that...

Except it isn't hardcore, all the PvE grinding is handheld solo casual instanced stuff.

Hardcore implies it'd be group heavy, difficult, risk vs reward, ect. Even if thats a shitty outdated system, its a better shitty outdated system than WoW.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    I hope hardcore means death experience penalty
  • DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112
    Just the fact SOE is willing to use the term hardcore and run the risk of alienating people who consider themselves casual players is pretty cool. Most developers bend over backwards to stress how casual and solo friendly their games are.

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by DavisFlight Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard Hardcore could very well mean another endless raid grind game. No reason to dance for that...
    Except it isn't hardcore, all the PvE grinding is handheld solo casual instanced stuff.

Hardcore implies it'd be group heavy, difficult, risk vs reward, ect. Even if thats a shitty outdated system, its a better shitty outdated system than WoW.

not IMO its not, raid progression of any type does not belong in a sandbox game, period.