Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: 'Special Announcement' Planned for Gamescom

1235»

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by doodphace

If getting 1 million unique logins per day, and 3 million per month, over a year after its release = "failed to retain players"....i'd hate hear your view of GW2 and SWTOR.

It's worthless to see it relative to other games, it's like saying EVE isn't successful because it has relatively few subs.

This is Blizzard we're talking about. They're huge. Their company function depends on them being continuing to be huge and continuing to generate the money that they generate. If they lose, it doesn't matter how much they had to begin with, they are most probably not counting on it and that will be enough to create problems for a company. They are not making SCII, Diablo, or WoW with tiny budgets. So whenever one of those doesn't give a return that's equal to what was projected, Blizzard may be in trouble.

1 million is pathetic for what the Diablo franchise represents. Path of Exile has like 2 million and it's an unbalanced pseudo-hardcore indie game. And SW:TOR is an epic flop of about Diablo proportions, which was rumored to cause EA financial problems, what's your point?

WoW, they're losing subs due to their own errors. How many people don't leave WoW due to investment only, and how many people don't come to WoW because it doesn't appeal to the uninvested? You think I wouldn't play WoW if it was fun? I don't care how old it is.

These are not some sort of natural things going on, this is Blizzard consistently screwing up over and over. Whatever's changed inside the company has lost their touch.

The above poster gets exactly what I'm saying.  It's about degree here.  Blizzard is a huge company.  3 million logins per month does not meet their expectations on any game.  Ex to a company on a similar level: LoL (Riot) has 5 million unique logins per day, these were the sorts of numbers Blizz/Vivendi wanted and were expecting.  They touted D3 as a service more than a game prior to launch planning frequent updates, etc.  Remember D3 was made from the scrapped Diablo MMO that was planned and they intended to maintain a customer base similar to an MMO with D3.  This is all info available on the net.  I didn't draw the conclusion myself that it "failed to meet the company's expectations" it's in every financial report and news article about them that they've had.  The writing is on the wall that this move made by Blizzard was due purely to their financial struggles, but you can believe it or not.

Here's where my opion starts rather than the facts:  I think Blizzard is awesome and have 0 hate for their games (I own WoW, D3, SC2, etc and all the earlier titles from my youth).  I'm actually shocked that they're currently in the position that they're in and hopefully they're able to turn it around.  I just don't think that it's very likely.  I also don't think a hardcore, OW PvP, sandbox, MMO will do the trick either.  To be honest their best bet is probably to lay off a ton of staff and scale back their expectations of profits to reasonable levels.  At this point they should probably scrap Hearthstone and Blizzard Allstars as those 2 games only exist so they can enter the F2P market 5 years to late.  Their efforts would probably be better rewarded by focusing on the development of WC4, the 3rd SC expansion, and I guess Titan although I am highly skeptical of said title.  Oh and get rid of Bobby Kotick cause he's a moron.

I utterly cannot contend with the notion of 3 million players per month over a year after release being a "bad thing" just because its Blizzard. D3 is a "single player game"....they were absolutly not require to release active player numbers, but they did. Why do you think that is...because its not good news in their eyes?

Im honeslty getting scared reading some of these posts lol

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

If getting 1 million unique logins per day, and 3 million per month, over a year after its release = "failed to retain players"....i'd hate hear your view of GW2 and SWTOR.

It's worthless to see it relative to other games, it's like saying EVE isn't successful because it has relatively few subs.

This is Blizzard we're talking about. They're huge. Their company function depends on them being continuing to be huge and continuing to generate the money that they generate. If they lose, it doesn't matter how much they had to begin with, they are most probably not counting on it and that will be enough to create problems for a company. They are not making SCII, Diablo, or WoW with tiny budgets. So whenever one of those doesn't give a return that's equal to what was projected, Blizzard may be in trouble.

1 million is pathetic for what the Diablo franchise represents. Path of Exile has like 2 million and it's an unbalanced pseudo-hardcore indie game. And SW:TOR is an epic flop of about Diablo proportions, which was rumored to cause EA financial problems, what's your point?

WoW, they're losing subs due to their own errors. How many people don't leave WoW due to investment only, and how many people don't come to WoW because it doesn't appeal to the uninvested? You think I wouldn't play WoW if it was fun? I don't care how old it is.

These are not some sort of natural things going on, this is Blizzard consistently screwing up over and over. Whatever's changed inside the company has lost their touch.

3 million players per month a year after release is terrible because its a Blizzard game and should have more...and  12 million copies sold did not provide a projected return.....those are the greatest statements I have seen made on these forums...

There's nothing to argue here.  This isn't opinion.  These are facts.  He's literally saying the exact same things that are in the financial reports every quarter since launch of D3...... He's not giving you an opinion.  It's a fact D3, WoW post WotLK, and SC2 have failed to meet all of the company's projected profits (aka expectations).  I'm glad you would be happy with 3 million players per month and 12 million copies sold, but apprarently that's not good enough for Vivendi/Blizz/Activision.  Why do you think Vivendi has been trying to sell Blizzard for 2 years and no one has even shown interest?

To put it in perspective for you again: LoL (Riot) 5 million unique log ins PER DAY.  32 million unique logins per month.  These are the number Blizzard is shooting for especially as they pursue the F2P space.

Steam: Neph

3 million players per month a year after release is terrible because its a Blizzard game and should have more...and  12 million copies sold did not provide a projected return.....those are the greatest statements I have seen made on these forums...

There's nothing to argue here.  This isn't opinion.  These are facts.  He's literally saying the exact same things that are in the financial reports every quarter since launch of D3...... He's not giving you an opinion.  It's a fact D3, WoW post WotLK, and SC2 have failed to meet all of the company's projected profits (aka expectations).  I'm glad you would be happy with 3 million players per month and 12 million copies sold, but apprarently that's not good enough for Vivendi/Blizz/Activision. 

Please link me the excerpt stating that D3 did not meet sales expectations....because made up notions being presented as fact are getting pretty old here...

Do you not remember how unplable D3 was at launch because the servers couldnt handle the amount of players because it "greatly exceeded sales expectations"?

Stop trying to trun a Diablo 3 discussion into a debate on Vevendi/universal's entire games division expectations. Changing the topic just to "win" isnt very constructive.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

The above poster gets exactly what I'm saying.  It's about degree here.  Blizzard is a huge company.  3 million logins per month does not meet their expectations on any game.  Ex to a company on a similar level: LoL (Riot) has 5 million unique logins per day, these were the sorts of numbers Blizz/Vivendi wanted and were expecting.  They touted D3 as a service more than a game prior to launch planning frequent updates, etc.  Remember D3 was made from the scrapped Diablo MMO that was planned and they intended to maintain a customer base similar to an MMO with D3.  This is all info available on the net.  I didn't draw the conclusion myself that it "failed to meet the company's expectations" it's in every financial report and news article about them that they've had.  The writing is on the wall that this move made by Blizzard was due purely to their financial struggles, but you can believe it or not.

Here's where my opion starts rather than the facts:  I think Blizzard is awesome and have 0 hate for their games (I own WoW, D3, SC2, etc and all the earlier titles from my youth).  I'm actually shocked that they're currently in the position that they're in and hopefully they're able to turn it around.  I just don't think that it's very likely.  I also don't think a hardcore, OW PvP, sandbox, MMO will do the trick either.  To be honest their best bet is probably to lay off a ton of staff and scale back their expectations of profits to reasonable levels.  At this point they should probably scrap Hearthstone and Blizzard Allstars as those 2 games only exist so they can enter the F2P market 5 years to late.  Their efforts would probably be better rewarded by focusing on the development of WC4, the 3rd SC expansion, and I guess Titan although I am highly skeptical of said title.  Oh and get rid of Bobby Kotick cause he's a moron.

I utterly cannot contend with the notion of 3 million players per month over a year after release being a "bad thing" just because its Blizzard. D3 is a "single player game"....they were absolutly not require to release active player numbers, but they did. Why do you think that is...because its not good news in their eyes?

Im honeslty getting scared reading some of these posts lol

Special treatment "because it's Blizzard" is pretty stupid...

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

There's nothing to argue here.  This isn't opinion.  These are facts.  He's literally saying the exact same things that are in the financial reports every quarter since launch of D3...... He's not giving you an opinion.  It's a fact D3, WoW post WotLK, and SC2 have failed to meet all of the company's projected profits (aka expectations).  I'm glad you would be happy with 3 million players per month and 12 million copies sold, but apprarently that's not good enough for Vivendi/Blizz/Activision. 

Please link me the excerpt stating that D3 did not meet sales expectations....because made up notions being presented as fact are getting pretty old here...

I'm not doing the work for you.  You're the one arguing with me. 

Steam: Neph

I'm not doing the work for you.  You're the one arguing with me. 

I looked....and it doesnt exist...ill repaste an edit I just made to my prevuious post:

Do you not remember how unplable D3 was at launch because the servers couldnt handle the amount of players because it "greatly exceeded sales expectations"? Diablo 3 literally more than doubled their intial sales prejections....

Stop trying to trun a Diablo 3 discussion into a debate on Vevendi/universal's entire games division expectations. Changing the topic just to "win" isnt very constructive.

http://pikigeek.com/2012/05/23/diablo-iii-shatters-sales-projections-becomes-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time/

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

I don't think you understand that investors expect companies to grow a % each quarter.  If a company does not increase its profits a % each quarter they lose investors.

This kind of investor trend is actually unsustainable because a company can't increase their profits 25-30% each quarter.

You also failed to take into consideration the development time of Diablo 3.  It took them over 10 years for the game to come out.  They started from scratch twice, and half restarted a 3rd time.   If one person was working there for minimum wage (7.50) for 10 years on that one project they would have spent $90k on that person alone.  This does not include the amount overtime that is paid to the QA team that work hourly and not on salary.  Not to mention I highly doubt anyone is paid minimum wage while working at Blizzard.

Originally posted by onlinenow25

I don't think you understand that investors expect companies to grow a % each quarter.  If a company does not increase its profits a % each quarter they lose investors.

This kind of investor trend is actually unsustainable because a company can't increase their profits 25-30% each quarter.

You also failed to take into consideration the development time of Diablo 3.  It took them over 10 years for the game to come out.  They started from scratch twice, and half restarted a 3rd time.   If one person was working there for minimum wage (7.50) for 10 years on that one project they would have spent $90k on that person alone.  This does not include the amount overtime that is paid to the QA team that work hourly and not on salary.  Not to mention I highly doubt anyone is paid minimum wage while working at Blizzard.

By your numbers, in order for 12 million sales to have not met their expectaions, they would have needed over 7000 employees of the type you mentioned for 10 years soley dedicated to working on D3...

If I hear anymore worst case scenerio tailored economics contradicting official announcements to try and support the notion that 12 million sales and more than doubling their sales projections = a total bust for investors, im gonna hurt a kitten.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Can nobody seriously see this is about Diablo 3?! 

It's in the D3 section for god sake. 

• Maleus666Maleus666 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Why is there a wow pic in a Diablo 3 new?

Go to hell!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

It wasn't when they first posted it this morning.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    All signs pointing to a D3 expansion.  I'm actually excited about this since I recently came back to D3, was able to deck out my toon relatively cheap (less then 5 million gold!) and i'm having fun.  The game no longer feels like i'm bashing my head against a wall trying to progress.
  • widginwidgin Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

It wasn't when they first posted it this morning.

This is true.

It wasn't under D3 this morning. Now that it is, it kind of takes away the guessing part.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Heaven, and the Burning Hells are main parts of the Diablo worlds, and has nothing to do w/ WoW, Titan, SC, or any other game. The announcement is probably about the long over due D3 expansion, which I am hoping took so long b/c they were fixing all the not-so-fun parts. I'm hopeful for D3, I actually enjoyed the game, it wasn't D2 good, but everyone needs to remember that not even D2 was "D2 good" until the xpac.

As for all the BS people have been spouting about Acti-Blizz and Vivendi....I'm not quoting that large wall of text, but the reason Vivendi was trying to sell Acti-Blizzard was NOT b/c 12 Million copies and over a million unique players a month for D3 was a disapointment, or declining subs in WoW, or any of the other nonsense you people posted. The Blizzard part of Acti-Blizzard still rakes in BILLIONS of dollars a year.

The reason Vivendi was trying to sell Acti-Blizzard is b/c they NEEDED THE CASH. They, as a conglomeration were losing money, Acti-Blizzard was one of, if not, THE most successful of all their divisions/assets. The reason they were unsuccessful selling Acti-Blizzard is not b/c of some nonsense people here are spouting about them losing money, it's b/c no one else had enough money to afford them. That's why Kotick got together some supporters and investors, got the money up, and bought themselves back, b/c Vivendi was about to raid the BILLIONS of dollars Acti-Blizzard has in reserve from their success to pay down their over SIX BILLION dollars of Vivendi debt that had nothing to do with Acti-Blizzard.

If any of you really think a company that has an almost 5 BILLION dollar war chest from their amazing profits the last few years is in trouble, you're out of your friggin minds.

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    A digital expansion for D3 priced at $24.99 would be a nice thank you for fans of this title but at this point though I'd rather see myself buying a sweet Titan collector's edition than investing more into D3.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    All signs pointing to a D3 expansion.  I'm actually excited about this since I recently came back to D3, was able to deck out my toon relatively cheap (less then 5 million gold!) and i'm having fun.  The game no longer feels like i'm bashing my head against a wall trying to progress.

I sort of go through phases with DiabloIII at the moment, from zero activity to hardcore playing it. A large conntent expansion would be really good, but can Blizz deliver that to gamers these days, or do we just get a third of a real expansion, then the next third and finally the end of an expansion over a period of about five years? Sadly this may be the case from the boys who run the Blizz nowadays.