Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you want EQN to be a themepark MMO?

ManakarManakar Member UncommonPosts: 110
Do you want EQN to play like a themepark MMORPG or do you want it to play different.. If you do want it to play different how would you want it to play? Themepark being like WoW and all the WoW clones out today.. 

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    To make it simple:  I want SWG with EQ2's raiding, Rift's dynamic content and AoC's art design.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Already been said it will be a sandbox with a emphasis on PVP. Thats from smedley.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I expect a background themepark, meaning there will be themepark content at launch to satisfy people until the sandbox elements mature with in the game.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by klagmire
    Already been said it will be a sandbox with a emphasis on PVP. Thats from smedley.

I'd be careful with your interpretation of Smedley's definition of "sandbox".  At last SOE Live he said "sandbox, like Planetside 2".   He basically considers the presence of any PvP to define the game as a sandbox.    Also, can you refer me to where he said EQN will focus on PvP rather than PvE?

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

It has never been said it will have emphasis on PVP. But it has been said it will be a sandbox which is up to smeds idea of what a sandbox is.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    EQN focus is sandbox but it wont be 100% sandbox. My guess is 40-60% of the game will be sandbox. 
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Manakar
    Do you want EQN to play like a themepark MMORPG or do you want it to play different.. If you do want it to play different how would you want it to play? Themepark being like WoW and all the WoW clones out today.. 

Yes i hope it takes it to the next level.

MMO without any kind of meaning or competition or gaming potential.

theres only target dummies (instanced) and players can attack those 24/7,no dmg dealed shown.

xserver lfg tool: spawn anonymous people to help against the  same target dummy.

xserver raid finder : spawn more anonymous people  to attack 3 target dummies.

also there is instanced pvp : here you can watch target dummies attacking each other 24/7. bots are so last season.

Cash shop sells only gear ,new classes and money. none of those is needed in this game just like cash shoppers say in every game,p2w is so last season.

Well its not really that different since most of them are just like this.

Seriously,no thanks.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    No. A billion times.... NO. This genre does not need another theme park MMO.
  • ManakarManakar Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Answer to the question is obviously "NO".

GW2 succeeded in going away from the "WoW clone" model, and I definitely hope EQ Next will achieve it too. Those who want to play a WoW clone have tons of choices already.

I expect the game to be a "Sandpark", aka a sandbox with theme park elements.

Hell, even Minecraft has some theme park elements, like the quest for that final Ender Dragon fight.

I don't think being a sandbox at the core is incompatible with that.

GW2? I am pretty sure it had you move from quest hub to quest hub? Just because the NPCs didn't have a question mark over their head doesn't mean the questing wasn't set up like a themepark.. 

Matter of fact when you looked on the map it told you where each quest hub was and what lvl you should be to do it.. GW2  very much held your hand and shuttled you around like a themepark..

• DjuchadeDjuchade Member Posts: 29
    No, i mean really NO NO NO.

GW2 succeeded in going away from the "WoW clone" model, and I definitely hope EQ Next will achieve it too. Those who want to play a WoW clone have tons of choices already.

Hell, even Minecraft has some theme park elements, like the quest for that final Ender Dragon fight.

GW2? I am pretty sure it had you move from quest hub to quest hub? Just because the NPCs didn't have a question mark over their head doesn't mean the questing wasn't set up like a themepark.. 

I doubt you even played that game if you think it's a "WoW clone". I never said it wasn't a theme park, I said it moved away from the "WoW clone" model. And no, you do not have to move from "quest hub to quest hub", you can even level to the max without ever talking to a NPC if you wish so.

Matter of fact when you looked on the map it told you where each quest hub was and what lvl you should be to do it.. GW2  very much held your hand and shuttled you around like a themepark..

Again, learn to read and understand what you read. "GW2 succeeded in going away from the "WoW clone" model". No where I said it wasn't a theme park. But it's definitely not a WoW clone either.

EDIT: oh, and before someone gets me wrong again, I definitely do NOT want EQN to be a GW2 clone either. I really want this game to be as close to a sandbox as possible.

Did you ever play EQ? I did play Gw2 all the way to lvl cap.. The pve was pretty much like wow.. You had quest hubs where quest events happened.. They were marked on the map as hearts.. It doesn't matter if there are 4 quest NPCs in a quest hub telling you go aRound killing/collecting things or if the events unfold in the quest hub then you get rewards from 1 NPCs in the quest hub.. It's pretty much the same thing.. Themepark mmorpg ..

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I think allot of people are going to wana kick Smedley come Friday lol. I have learned not to take his word as law =)

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    I expect a background themepark, meaning there will be themepark content at launch to satisfy people until the sandbox elements mature with in the game.

That's actually a feasible theory you have there, sounds like a realistic approach that could in fact work out. We'll see. :)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Depends how you are stating it. Are you meaning theme park as it "Go point A to B without much choice or limited choice" or are you meaning mechanics normally associated with theme park (even though wrongly) such as say dungeons/raiding or classes?

If the latter, then easily I'd say yes,. those mechanics are strong and I feel games suffer without them or having to far skimped on mechanics with it. A lot of mechanics that exist in a theme park exist because they are VERY GOOD. A lot of sandboxes feel that complete freedom like individually leveling skills creates 'diversity' when it doesn't, it makes everyone feel the same and lacks that sense of 'power' that games with classes provide, and over times lack that sense of difficulty.

Lets face it, PvE will ALWAYS have more potential for difficulty they any human player. Its like a Chess machine versing a normal player. So long as the Chess computer is designed well, it has far more potential to trip the player up, and with MMos it has plenty of additional ways to defy rules players can't handle.

Themeparks are so large because people enjoy the mechanics they have that most sandboxes just lack. Given EQN does realize this (which I believe they do) then I can see the game coming out very strong, ignoring the false premise that sandboxes can't have things like classes and pushing on a world which is both a sandbox for players to explore and create in their own way, while also mixing in the elements that themeparks have done so well for a long time now.

As far as pve goes I don't see it being that big of a jump from wow.. It had random events but it still had quest hubs just like every modern day MMO.. I want a MMO where the players make up the stories like in EQ.. Not the devs setting up quests and events all around..
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Sure why not. Ill play it either way, but ill vote yes for shots and giggles

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well in personal i would like to see an art style & gameplay comparable to GW2 (and not with Rift's as i read at the front page... ) a story & open world pvp like Age of Conan, and one economy like Darkfall Unholly Wars or EVE and the weekly content releases from GW2 ...

anyway yesterday i get a newsletter from Storybricks team (they made a game where you create your own quest and in generall they created a flexible system of creating your own content ..) and they said that from April they work with SOE for the EQn ... so i believe it will have tons of player driven content ...

Lol now go and read what you quoted.  

Originally posted by Lorgarn
    Originally posted by donpopuki

That's actually a feasible theory you have there, sounds like a realistic approach that could in fact work out. We'll see. :)

Still not gonna stop the sandy purists who will scream bloody murder about the theme park elements at the beginning. 

Originally posted by apocoluster

Lol now go and read what you quoted.  

I did read it.. Like I said as far as the pve in gw2 I don't see it as a big jump from the modern day MMO.. It's still a pig even with the lipstick. It's still a themepark MMO at its core.. It doesn't have to be exactly like wow...

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    If I wanted that, I would be waiting for FF14 and Wildstar. So, no.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I want it to have a well-written, well thought out main raison d'etre.. if that makes it a themepark, so be it.

Radical sandboxes are just so...radical.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You might as well had just named the thread, "Do you want EQN to suck?"

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

EQN needs to be a hybrid.

Their goal:

1. No/very little vertical progression or no mindless gear grinds.

2. Challenging content that gives abilities and varied rewards. Horizontal progression.

3. Many ways to spend in game currency. Housing, seiging, player bounties, gambling, hire npc's.

4. Dynamic events that are also shaped by pvp events. So devs must update map to new in game politics from patch to patch in term of different npc locations for example. But the main thing is dynamic events, and tied in with pvp.

5. Choice per character in character creation (race and complex slider tools), faction alignment/npc alignment, and pvp status as pk'er or hero.

6. Unmirrored fun combat system.

7. Complex player crafting economy. Make items destructible, but also resources very abundant ( makes it easier to try spending options in game) Certain things take longer to destroy possibly like keeps owned by players to ensure that players have a somewhat lasting impact.

8. Mini games, and player created content with modifying mini games locations. Content can be mini dungeons with traps, npcs, and with treasure. Card games and duel arenas.

9. Related to dynamic events there is a story to the world and a context to every group. Their natural habitat, historical allegiances, and genetic composition and the tendencies of different species. This understanding makes dynamic events make more sense as thing changes with habitats changed forests to swamps and npcs moving and new npcs setting up shop. Their allegiances, and natural tendencies might affect how safe the area is which makes trade more difficult.

10. Makes dynamic events different in mechanics to keep them interesting. Generally any quest needs to offer varied quest mechanics.

11. Make NPC's smart. Roaming npc armies that have their wars among each other making them better or weaker allies.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Yes sire, me like.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM